Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
16 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #20461
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
Yearrrrrsss ago, long before smartphones entered the market, I used to download extra content for The Sims (2000) on PC, and one of the little bits of fan-made content that I will never forget is the long-screen TV, which was described as something along the lines of being the future of entertainment (or something similarly absurd). Funny how a joke wasn't far removed from the truth.

Today's young'ens can hardly stomach watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 display. If anything, this ridiculous endeavour may be a mixed blessing and inadvertently serve as a crash course on why filming vertically is such a monumentally stupid idea. I wonder how the masses would feel stretching vertically-shot phone footage on their TVs. :P

I had previously searched to see whether there were any vertically-shot music videos to appeal to today's hip kids, and as it turns out, there are a number of music videos that have been cropped from their OAR for those very special people who are somehow incapable of the monolithic feat that is tilting one's phone by 90 degrees. It's like pan and scan of the past, but substantially worse.
Quibi will be professionally shot and framed for smartphones AND widescreen. It has large production costs so itís going to take advantage of vertical. Rather than trying to cram everyone into the middle of the frame, they will have a camera that has a vertical viewfinder that gives them the best shot for a particular scene. Scenes where many people are on screen will more than likely have a Snapchat style split screen to capture reactions and conversations. The creatives have acknowledged that stuff needs to be shot from the start with vertical in mind.

Of course, we all know itís going to be crap but when has that ever stopped folk?
Thanks given by:
SillyG (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #20462

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Of course, we all know itís going to be crap but when has that ever stopped folk?
I'd be almost curious to see it, as long as I'm not paying for the privilege.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #20463
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
I'd be almost curious to see it, as long as I'm not paying for the privilege.
Well, itís a paid service so you would have to unless you pirate.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #20464
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Well, it’s a paid service so you would have to unless you pirate.
It launches on April 6 here and they will likely offer a free trial period like every other streaming service does.

They would have to pay me to watch bite sized content shot in vertically framed Glaucoma Scope.

I predict it will be almost as big of a hit as was New Coke and Crystal Pepsi- both of which were backed by rich companies and an aggressive marketing campaign.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #20465
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It launches on April 6 here and they will likely offer a free trial period like every other streaming service does.

They would have to pay me to watch bite sized content shot in vertically framed Glaucoma Scope.

I predict it will be almost as big of a hit as was New Coke and Crystal Pepsi- both of which were backed by rich companies and an aggressive marketing campaign.
Thatís where we differ then.

You already know my take.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #20466
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
That’s where we differ then.

You already know my take.
Yes, I know your take well: anything new and undesirable will do irreversible harm to all we hold dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's more the fact that for every gimmick that succeeds there are several more that fall by the wayside so no, I don't think the horizontal sky is falling just yet.
I have a strong umbrella to prevent that horizontal sky from falling. We're all safe.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-15-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #20467
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yes, I know your take well: anything new and undesirable will do irreversible harm to all we hold dear.

I have a strong umbrella to prevent that horizontal sky from falling. We're all safe.
Geoff would say that, he was one of those that laughed it off. He told me to stick to football, knowledge wise. Well, letís see.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #20468
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Geoff would say that, he was one of those that laughed it off. He told me to stick to football, knowledge wise. Well, let’s see.
Just futbol? You seem to know a good deal about VR gaming and Twin Peaks, too.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #20469
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Just futbol? You seem to know a good deal about VR gaming and Twin Peaks, too.
I do lol. Very modest with it. I would say film in general. Itís a running joke in my family that I always get quiz questions about films right.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:18 PM   #20470

Jan 2016
Midwest USA

My low data rate streaming idea:

I don't subscribe to any streaming services
(I tried out streaming of BBC 1 radio via
dial-up back in 1999, there was a lot of
rebuffering even then).

To reduce rebuffering and (monthly) data usage:
Select 480i (regular VHS SP picture quality) and
Dolby Surround audio.

Allow your TV to upscale the picture to "HDTV".

From what I've read in this thread (and elsewhere),
streaming programs is a one-off thing. In my case,
I waited for Netflix Lost in Space to be released on
DVD/Blu-ray before seeing it.

I record a lot of TV shows from MeTV (for one-off
viewing) using VHS SLP and I've watched a few of
them on my HDTV (which also upscales to HDTV),
it looked OK, a little soft, but OK.

Anyone routinely use Streaming TV settings for
VHS SP picture quality w/TV upscaling to save on
data?

Kirk Bayne
Old 02-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #20471
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbkfb View Post
Anyone routinely use Streaming TV settings for VHS SP picture quality w/TV upscaling to save on data?
Just the thought of doing that would cause my eyes . As of now my ISP does not have data caps per say so I don't have to worry about data usage.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #20472
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Just the thought of doing that would cause my eyes . As of now my ISP does not have data caps per say so I don't have to worry about data usage.
Same here I have FTTH with no Caps, and my Providers are Amazon, Netflix, MA, and Vudu primarily. So I don't have any problems Streaming 4K, but I mainly Stream in HD. I couldn't imagine any kind of Streaming difficulties!
Old 02-16-2020, 12:48 AM   #20473
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbkfb View Post
My low data rate streaming idea:

I don't subscribe to any streaming services
(I tried out streaming of BBC 1 radio via
dial-up back in 1999, there was a lot of
rebuffering even then).

To reduce rebuffering and (monthly) data usage:
Select 480i (regular VHS SP picture quality) and
Dolby Surround audio.

Allow your TV to upscale the picture to "HDTV".

From what I've read in this thread (and elsewhere),
streaming programs is a one-off thing. In my case,
I waited for Netflix Lost in Space to be released on
DVD/Blu-ray before seeing it.

I record a lot of TV shows from MeTV (for one-off
viewing) using VHS SLP and I've watched a few of
them on my HDTV (which also upscales to HDTV),
it looked OK, a little soft, but OK.

Anyone routinely use Streaming TV settings for
VHS SP picture quality w/TV upscaling to save on
data?

Kirk Bayne
That sounds horrific. If your restrictions are that bad, itís probably better to go the route of sattelite/cable. Even HD is only very small bit rate these days. 720p should be doable unless you have a family of 12. My sister gets 1080p on Netflix and she doesnít even have fibre. Itís only a 4Mbps connection.
4K is probably a stretch on a data plan but 720p at least is incredibly achievable.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 AM   #20474
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I couldn't imagine any kind of Streaming difficulties!
So, you used to install internet service for people, but you can not even imagine there ever being any difficulties with streaming content? Absolutely nothing could possibly go wrong with either the streaming service provider or the internet connection between the server and the customer's location? 100% reliability has been achieved, has it?

I guess I can add both lack of imagination and detachment from reality to your dubious resume.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-16-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 AM   #20475
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
My data cap is 2 TB, which is ample for no more often than I stream content. When you live in a rural market with only one broadband internet service provider like I do, they impose data caps on all plans that they offer. They raise their rates religiously, too, because they know that their customers have no decent alternatives.

ISP's like mine hold streaming for ransom both with data caps and annual price hikes. Between the streaming service provider's rate increases and those from my ISP, streaming is less and less of a bargain each year.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-16-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #20476
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

I'm addicted to 4K media! Still ironing out the quirks from all of my new components, but it's a fun journey so far. I watched Blade Runner 4K on disc last night and it was a revelation I will be watching 2001 and Gemini Man next. I've also been re-watching episodes of Altered Carbon on Netflix in DV/Atmos in preperation for season 2.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (02-16-2020), flyry (02-18-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #20477
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
My data cap is 2 TB, which is ample for no more often than I stream content. When you live in a rural market with only one broadband internet service provider like I do, they impose data caps on all plans that they offer. They raise their rates religiously, too, because they know that their customers have no decent alternatives.

ISP's like mine hold streaming for ransom both with data caps and annual price hikes. Between the streaming service provider's rate increases and those from my ISP, streaming is less and less of a bargain each year.
I’m sure you remember how conversation about data caps?

Personally, I think it’s games that cause a big issue. Look at Call Of Duty on the PS4 for example. 90 gig game download, 50 gig update (latest). That’s just a joke. The game looks beautiful but if you are not on fibre, it would be a waste of time buying it. You would have to wait a few days just to play after a update.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #20478
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
My data cap is 2 TB, which is ample for no more often than I stream content.
My TOS says no data caps for residential use but has exceptions, example, online servers are not allowed.

Quote:
When you live in a rural market with only one broadband internet service provider like I do, they impose data caps on all plans that they offer. They raise their rates religiously, too, because they know that their customers have no decent alternatives.
I too live in the sticks and my ISP is a small independent. We had a town meeting about a year and a half ago where a NC ISP co-op was invited and they said if enough users signed up they would install 100 Mbps fiber for $100/month. Since that time my ISP has been pretty busy updating their system. In my area (12 miles from town) they have been adding more fibers and updating their nodes (fiber to coax) and installing DOCSIS 3.1 modems.

Read were some small cable operators have dropped their video services and now provide data only. Makes sense, data is hugely profitable and no more continuous content and retransmission price negations.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #20479
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I watched Blade Runner 4K on disc last night and it was a revelation I will be watching 2001 and Gemini Man next.
Blade Runner 2049 is quite good as well and is more bombastic at times. Will give your subs a workout. 2001 is pretty subdued, haven't watched Gemini yet.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #20480
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina
Default Business Technology Investing Economy Special Report Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I couldn't imagine any kind of Streaming difficulties!
That is understandable because you do not have any knowledge of how a large percentage of the US gets data and the problems people have with their ISP's. There is good reason why several telecoms are in the top 20 most hated corps in the US.

Quote:
Telecom companies, such as internet, phone, and television service providers, are the worst rated types of businesses on the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
In Jan 2015 the Netflix top average was 3.5 Mbps and in Jan 2020 we have moved all the way up to 4.7 Mbps. Most BD and UHD BD spot checks of lossless audio have data rates that exceed this.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (02-16-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology