Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Columbo: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (DVD)
$28.99

The Good Liar (DVD)
$13.00

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (DVD)
$17.96

The Twilight Zone: Season One (DVD)
$27.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (DVD)
$19.99

Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$47.47

Doctor Who: The Matt Smith Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Complete Collection (DVD)
$12.96
12 hrs ago
Little Women (DVD)
$17.95

3 from Hell (DVD)
$7.50
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 AM   #41

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
It's probably a safe bet that AMZ haven't taken Joe up on his offer to look into the alternative prints for them. His mistake was just throwing it out on Twitter - should have gone to Jeff Bezos direct - he's a huge sci-fi fan, it could easily have happened.
The real issue here is WB, they don't want to do anything with the Babylon 5 franchise(according to JMS).
There's a little glimmer of hope that Amazon does contact them about the untouched prints, because I don't think WB would do that by themselves. I'm guessing they have to see a demand to do it.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #42

Jul 2019

1. There have been a few mentions on twitter by JMS that there exists a complete film archive (with all the FX) of the entire run in 1.33 (4x3). (At this point I'd gladly take a HD set in 1.33 if it meant a good transfer.)

2. Also someone asked about Vudu, they do have a 4x3 set of Babylon 5 in 480p. They are presently (2/14/2020) selling it as a $69.99 bundle. Sadly there's no preview option although you can buy an episode for $1.99. So I guess maybe buy a single episode and if the quality's good, go for the bundle? (maybe customer service would even refund the $1.99 at that point if asked.)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Here is a direct comparison; the spin-off series 'Crusade' was shot in 4:3 and transferred to dvd in that format. It looks just fine. B5's problem though is the cropping of the image reduced the resolution of the visual effects from being acceptable to very poor. The B5 television film's though were shot in 16:9, and are the same aspect ration on dvd and are much better, so the main problem is obvious.

No-one seems interested in investing in new scan's of the 4:3 film master's. Neither Warner or Amazon. Damn shame, as re-doing the CG would cost as much as each individual episode, if not even more.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

The FX, if it is on the film, is surely a filmout from the 480p render? So you might get superior quality using film for a 4:3 HD scan and the 4:3 video masters for effects rather than the film for everything. So still drops in quality, either way.

I honestly think the best option is still is to scan the film in 16:9 HD and redo all the effects. Pipe dream? Maybe but it's the only way to give the show a consistent look, fully compatible with current HD broadcast standards. The Gathering will always have to be an upscale as I believe the original film was destroyed.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Yep, a TNG-style rebuild is pretty much the only way to do things properly. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, WBs absolutely couldn't care less about the show and won't in a million years fund that, and without someone like Amazon or Netflix picking up the bill instead, it ain't ever happening.

The best hope really is to use the masters that Joe talked about and using those as a basis - the obvious problem is that the VFX was rezzed at 480i, so that would always be a limit, but even that would be eminently preferable to the DVDs that we currently have.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies