Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
21 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
15 hrs ago
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
21 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$49.49
14 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

My family members are happy with the 2018 model Roku Ultra, the video and audio quality is exactly the same as their old out of production 2016 Roku Ultra model that had a higher list price. Of course streaming in 2019 does not compare to the high bit rate of HEVC 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and also no streaming provider has every so far offered lossless audio quality and only lossy surround sound.

Even though the 2018 Roku Ultra has the same picture quality, sound quality, and offers the same overall quality as the more expensive out of production 2016 model, the only advantage of the 2016 model is the optical audio output for people that have older A/V receivers without the HDMI feature. HDMI was designed back in December of 2002, and in late 2003 HDMI products were being manufactured and started appearing on consumer electronics equipment in 2004. By the year 2008 most A/V receivers being made had HDMI built in. Therefore, unless one owns an A/V receiver that is older than 11 years old, they no longer need optical audio output that existed on the 2016 model Roku Ultra. The oldest A/V receivers that my family members own is 11 years old, therefore I have never needed to use that optical audio output on the original 2016 Roku Ultra, thanks to the better HDMI interface that handles both video and audio.

Also the fast SanDisk 64GB micro SDXC card works great to provide more storage for the several thousands of streaming channels.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

In the year 2019 around 99% of flat panel screens being manufactured have streaming feature built in. And in a few years at least 50% of flat panel screens well most likely have Roku built in.

"Roku Bolsters Lead as No. 1 Streaming TV Platform"

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...bYlYtKKujHH.99
Old 09-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #83

Feb 2019

So a noob question, but I am purchasing a Vizio Quantum M Series tv, and received a Roku Ultra as a gift from work. Is it worth using the Roku if the Vizio is already a smart tv?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #84
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Since the year 2016 the Roku Ultra has been the best flagship streaming player on the market for video and audio movie type watching. Every year since 2016 a new Roku Ultra is introduced. The 2016, 2017, 2018, and coming soon October 2019 Roku Ultra are almost exactly the same (most likely every year sees more integrated electronic circuit boards internally to reduce manufacturer costs in theory).

On October 13th 2019 the new Roku Ultra is scheduled to be released. However, no major changes when compared to the 2017 and 2018 models. Which is a disappointment since in the ideal world the Roku Ultra should offer Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ instead of just standard HDR10. Also, in an ideal world the Roku Ultra should offer 1Gbps Ethernet instead of 100Mbps Ethernet (then 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray images with 11.1 lossless audio would be possible if a streaming provider wanted to offer that level of quality). Instead of offering HDMI version 2.0a, a firmware update would allow for HDMI 2.0b with Dolby Vision HDR support, but that is most likely never going to happen. HDMI 2.1 would be ideal for all HDR formats including HDR10+. The Roku Ultra is the best external streaming box on the market which is ideal for 4K projectors and older displays with no streaming built in. However certain flat panel screens with Roku built in can stream Dolby Vision HDR, but the Roku Ultra is limited to HDR10 only.

My point is the quality of the Roku Ultra has not changed at all over the last 4 years. The 2016 Roku Ultra offers the same exact picture and sound quality as the 2019 Roku Ultra according to the specs. This is a big disappointment since research and development appears to be only be occurring in built in flat panel screens with Roku streaming built in. The Roku Ultra is popular with projector owners and consumers with older flat panels with no streaming built in.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (09-21-2019), teddyballgame (09-25-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #85
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

A couple of new changes although I would expect the first to come to the older hardware versions through a software update and the second could be had with a new remote.

Quote:
New! Fast channel launch
New! Personal shortcut buttons
Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
My point is the quality of the Roku Ultra has not changed at all over the last 4 years. The 2016 Roku Ultra offers the same exact picture and sound quality as the 2019 Roku Ultra according to the specs. This is a big disappointment since research and development appears to be only be occurring in built in flat panel screens with Roku streaming built in. The Roku Ultra is popular with projector owners and consumers with older flat panels with no streaming built in.
This part is true, except I do notice a difference between the 2016, the 2017, and the newer release 2018 model (of the 2017 platform). So faster, overall, but only in regards to loading apps and processing those apps. I do also get far fewer (in fact, hardly any) drop-outs or failures with this late-2018 model. So some processor or system was changed for the better.

However, yes, with this "new" model coming out, I would be disappointed that the performance improvements you cite do not seem to be incorporated into the new model. Even the last few months there have been aspects of streaming that have been upgrade/improved, and the Roku tech needs to keep up (or I'll be seriously considering Apple 4K instead).
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #87
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Hopefully next year Roku will come out with a external streaming player that supports Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+. The TIVO Edge also has 1,000Mbps ethernet support something that hopefully Roku might offer in the future.

As far as I am aware the Tivo Edge is the only external non-Blu-ray player device that supports Dolby Vision HDR. It is awesome that the new Tivo Edge supports Dolby Vision HDR streaming (something until now was only offered by Blu-ray players and some flat panel screens with streaming built in). In addition the Tivo Edge works with a cablecard for subscription cable TV and another model is designed for ATSC tuner over the air broadcasts.

Tivo products are not compatible with satelllite TV.

"The TiVo Edge comes in two flavors: one designed to work with an over-the-air HD antenna, and the other with a digital CableCARD. Both models support 4K video with Dolby Vision high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound, making them worthy of the name “Edge.”

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...0ulpcMEssWh.99

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-02-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #88
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Hopefully next year Roku will come out with a external streaming player that supports Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+. The TIVO Edge also has 1,000Mbps ethernet support something that hopefully Roku might offer in the future.
I've been hopefully-ing for this since 2017

At this point I'm not getting my hopes up anymore.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #89

May 2007
Default Roku Ultra streaming Player

I have to disagree that the Roku 4K streaming player is the best on the market. It is by far not the best streaming player on the market. I constantly have buffering problems and Audio problems and that is probably putting It very mildly.
I am actually going to be switching to the new 2ND Generation of the amazon 4K fire cube TV. Roku is ok but the software has many flaws and glitches from people that I have talked about on these buffering problems.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #90
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Mid-west Florida USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
I have to disagree that the Roku 4K streaming player is the best on the market. It is by far not the best streaming player on the market. I constantly have buffering problems and Audio problems and that is probably putting It very mildly.
I am actually going to be switching to the new 2ND Generation of the amazon 4K fire cube TV. Roku is ok but the software has many flaws and glitches from people that I have talked about on these buffering problems.
Well, not to doubt you but my Roku Ultra 4k streaming player is just great and I've never had a single bit of buffering problem on anything.
Thanks given by:
FreddyC (10-31-2019), HDTV1080P (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #91
Special Member

Apr 2008

I haven't had any buffering issues either.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #92
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post
Well, not to doubt you but my Roku Ultra 4k streaming player is just great and I've never had a single bit of buffering problem on anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
I haven't had any buffering issues either.
That's because a buffering and audio problem would be caused by an inadequate internet connection (mps rate too low), not the Roku, especially not a Roku Ultra.

Since that poster mentions 4K, I would say that possibly his/her connection is slow enough to experience audio drop-outs and macro-blocking in FN, buffering problems in Vudu. But again, only because of the internet connection. I don't know the exact memory the Ultra has, but it will store 3 to 4 minutes of UHD/4K playback, and will rely on that storage before it starts to freeze/buffer/drop audio. That's a pretty large amount of stored memory, i.e. the processor in the Ultra is doing its job.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (10-14-2019), notops (10-21-2019), pab1219 (10-13-2019), teddyballgame (10-21-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #93
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default Sound and Vision Magazine Hands On: Roku Ultra 2019 and Roku OS 9.2

Select quotes

"I’ve been able to test the just-released new generation of Roku Ultra. At first glance, it doesn’t appear to be much different than earlier generations. It has a cosmetic change to the texture of the top’s surface. The remote has two additional shortcut buttons. And, with a new quad-core processor, Roku claims that the Ultra opens channels (apps) 17% faster than before."

"Like the previous model, there is a microSD slot that can be used to offload some of the channels that have large amounts of content. When I clicked on Starz to open that channel, a message popped up: “To avoid re-loading channels, a microSD card is now recommended.”

"Once the Ultra was plugged in and powered on, it automatically updated to OS 9.2."

"Still, Roku voice control has not yet caught up to Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV, where you can ask to play a specific video in a specific app — “Play Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu.”

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...v7XU51BSdAq.99
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (10-18-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 PM   #94
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2016
oHIo

So I have a problem..

I had a 4K TV and Roku Ultra downstairs. Over the weekend, I moved both of them upstairs to the living room. I hadn't used either much downstairs, but since the TV is larger, that's why I had switched them.

So the past few nights I go to Netflix from Roku and it freaks out. Sort of flashes a weird picture, then goes black, and then it goes to the TV screensaver with a message about no signal from the input. I have to unplug Roku and restart it for it to work again.

But it's only with Netflix, no other channels on the Roku. I have restarted it, unplugged and replugged, uninstalled Netflix and reinstalled, etc.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #95
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCat View Post
So I have a problem..

I had a 4K TV and Roku Ultra downstairs. Over the weekend, I moved both of them upstairs to the living room. I hadn't used either much downstairs, but since the TV is larger, that's why I had switched them.

So the past few nights I go to Netflix from Roku and it freaks out. Sort of flashes a weird picture, then goes black, and then it goes to the TV screensaver with a message about no signal from the input. I have to unplug Roku and restart it for it to work again.

But it's only with Netflix, no other channels on the Roku. I have restarted it, unplugged and replugged, uninstalled Netflix and reinstalled, etc.
Sounds like it could be a possible problem with HDCP 2.2 handshake. I get the same sort of thing with CBS News, but never have with Netflix, so not sure that would be the problem or not. What model of Ultra do you have? (e.g. 4660, 4661)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #96
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2016
oHIo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedknee View Post
sounds like it could be a possible problem with hdcp 2.2 handshake. I get the same sort of thing with cbs news, but never have with netflix, so not sure that would be the problem or not. What model of ultra do you have? (e.g. 4660, 4661)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #97
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

If it was HDCP 2.2 then if one forces the Roku Ultra to 1080P it will do standard HDCP 1.4. If the problem still occurs at 1080P then it is not HDCP but could just be a HDMI handshaking issue.

Of course when one watches native low bit rate 4K streaming with lossy audio they will want to have the Roku set to native 4K Ultra HD resolution with HDR10 support if the Smart TV supports HDR. All first generation 4K displays did not support HDCP 2.2, and many second generation 4K displays do not support HDR. The Roku Ultra automatically most of the time will detect and adjust the resolution to 4K with HDCP 2.2 and HDR10 if the display supports it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion