Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00
35 min ago
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 hr ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 hr ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 hr ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

The Jerk (Blu-ray)
$4.99
16 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
35 min ago
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 hr ago
The Star (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #81

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darev View Post
If *most* 3-D discs are region free (there are a couple in recent years that I read weren't, movies I would have liked to have owned in that format) then everything is good. I recently bought 3D Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse from amazon in Germany, and it plays fine on my X-Box One S. (with German thought bubbles...only a minor annoyance).

Maybe I'll just pay closer attention to that.
Well, the ones I listed above are the only ones I'm aware of.

OK, I found this list:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3...-sold-usa.html
But it's still not complete.

Ratatouille 3D is region B only, I'm not sure what the alternatives are; it doesn't appear to have gotten a 3D US release.
Terminator 2 3D is region B only - but it's a conversion done years after the original movie, which I couldn't care less about. Sounds like there are Asian region A/free releases now.
Valerian 3D is region B only, but there is an Asian 3D region A release, so you do have an option.

Disney seems to be the main studio not putting selling their 3D movies in the US, and except for Ratatouille, I believe all their 3D blurays are region-free. So, as I've described earlier in this thread and in my original thread that inspired this (linked in my sig), I don't think not having the ability to play region B 3D is a particularly big deal.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #82

Apr 2011

I almost went through the chaos of trying to go region free for 3D but then I learned that I could just order from Asia and they have region A for 3D bluray. For the very few movies that are region locked it is worth it, Valerian 3D, T2 3D, and so on.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikottowegner View Post
I almost went through the chaos of trying to go region free for 3D but then I learned that I could just order from Asia and they have region A for 3D bluray. For the very few movies that are region locked it is worth it, Valerian 3D, T2 3D, and so on.
OTOH -- for the extra cost of the Asian movies vs the standard EU releases of the same item you likely could easily have bought a region free player and had the extra flexibility on all the locked cheaper often better 2D items as well.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #84

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
Awesome! That sounds great. I was sure there was some way to get it here in the USA. Not much more than you'd pay for the US version - it's OOS at Amazon but according to Camelcamelcamel, was $97 when it stock. The UBK90 is in stock but $185; a big jump in cost to get Dolby Vision. There's also a hacked region-free UBK80 for $259 that specifically mentioned dual voltage, so that's another good sign.

I'm waiting to pick up a 4k projector (with 3D, of course!) before buying a UHD player but this is definitely on the shortlist. Definitely sometime this summer or fall.
Well, the report is mixed. I got a UMI LX-300 step up transformer for the voltage since LG UK said the British UBK80 player would not work on 120 volts, and played with the player this past weekend. It's hooked up to my 2012 Panasonic 3D plasma TV.

It powered up, but showed no picture on the TV. On screen I got a message saying there was no input and to check connections. However, if I put in a Region B or Region Free (ABC) Blu-ray, or a Region 0 DVD, the Home screen appears. I can't do some of the adjustments there (such as Software Update) if a disc is inserted, but if I eject the disc, the Home screen disappears and the no-input message returns.

It played Region B Blu-rays, Region Free Blu-rays, and Region 0 DVDs, and even some Blu-rays labeled Region A, but that apparently aren't locked to Region A. However, it will not play any of my several All Region DVDs from Indicator dual-format sets, even though the player does NTSC<>PAL conversion.

I suspect it all has to do with what my 3D TV will display, but not working with the All Region DVDs is a deal-breaker for me. I've got nearly a dozen of them with extra content I can't watch, but I'm not ditching 3D to get a new TV and I don't do 4K UHD. Otherwise it works fine as long as you need only Blu-rays, 3D Blu-rays, and 4K UHDs.

So I guess I'll pack it up to return to Amazon UK. Maybe it's time I look into 3D projectors, too.

Rick
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #85
Power Member

Jun 2009

So what (theoretically) would happen if you plug a UK player rated for 220v into a North American outlet rated for 110v? Would you fry the player? If anything, wouldn't the device be receiving less power than it is rated for?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #86

Sep 2010

Thanks for the information. Luckily for me, the movies I have wanted in 3D are region free so far. But it's good to have this information handy if I need it in the future.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #87
EmrickJack

Default How to go Region B with 3D in the US for around $140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schfooge View Post
Thanks for the information. Luckily for me, the movies I have wanted in 3D are region free so far. But it's good to have this information handy if I need it in the future.
Goo Work See Is Best Reply For This Post Thanks For Share
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #88

Mar 2010

Maybe to late but a cheap UK/European ps3 for region b blu ray would probably be a good bet as you can have an US account if you want services like Hula, Netflix and such. But if you simply just want to use to play region b blu rays you don't have to deal with a step up transformer as it has a multi region 110-240 volt power supply. (I have a Japanese ps3 for region a blu rays).
Old 08-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #89

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbeast View Post
Maybe to late but a cheap UK/European ps3 for region b blu ray would probably be a good bet as you can have an US account if you want services like Hula, Netflix and such. But if you simply just want to use to play region b blu rays you don't have to deal with a step up transformer as it has a multi region 110-240 volt power supply. (I have a Japanese ps3 for region a blu rays).
Does it do 3D also? That's the point of this thread.

Rick
Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #90

Sep 2013

lots of good info over about players over at
https://www.videohelp.com
Old 08-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #91

Mar 2010

Rick,

A PlayStation 3 will play 3D blu rays as well as other 3D content such as pictures from a compatible camera as it has feature to display on your tv.
Thanks given by:
rickmiddlebrooks (08-03-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #92
Rock120

Default How to go Region B with 3D in the US for around $140

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikottowegner View Post
See Good Answer For This Post I Support On This And Sahe To Your Post
Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #93

Oct 2010
-
Default What about the BDT180?

Does anyone know for sure if the BDT180 also supports PAL/NTSC conversion, as the BDT380 does?

I ask because the User Manual isn't at all clear on his point. It mentions both PAL/NTSC but does not say anything about how to manually switch between them. Of course, even the BDT380 manual is pretty poor on this point... it only explains that in the section on 'What to do if you have no picture'.

My understanding is that the 380 adds WiFi, and a front panel display to the 180. If that is all, then the 180 would be a cheaper option for me. But not if it only plays both PAL and NTSC, but doesn't convert between them. Since the 180 Manual says nothing explicitly about format-conversion, the implication would be that it doesn't support it.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #94

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the BDT180 also supports PAL/NTSC conversion, as the BDT380 does?

I ask because the User Manual isn't at all clear on his point. It mentions both PAL/NTSC but does not say anything about how to manually switch between them. Of course, even the BDT380 manual is pretty poor on this point... it only explains that in the section on 'What to do if you have no picture'.

My understanding is that the 380 adds WiFi, and a front panel display to the 180. If that is all, then the 180 would be a cheaper option for me. But not if it only plays both PAL and NTSC, but doesn't convert between them. Since the 180 Manual says nothing explicitly about format-conversion, the implication would be that it doesn't support it.
Mark_O, I see that the second top review for it on Amazon UK says the player's output is set from the factory to NTSC rather than PAL, and that it worked fine connected directly to his TV in Region B/2. (Practically all TVs in the UK will play both PAL and NTSC.) That means it has to be converting PAL content on BD and DVD discs to NTSC. You could directly question Customer Service at Panasonic UK. There's a link for it on the Amazon UK webpage. You could also ask them about any differences between the two models (180 vs. 380).

Notice that both the BDT180 and the BDT380 are sold by Amazon UK, not a third party, so you'll get a discount when they remove the VAT from the price.

Rick
Thanks given by:
Mark_O (11-09-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #95

Jan 2009
Texas
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post

I own the 180 and it works on US TVs out of the box. I took a chance when bought it back in Jan. 2018 because I found the manual a little confusing. But it ended up being the cheapest option that I could find. When I bought it, I ordered one of those converter boxes along with it, but later discovered I could simply plug in a standard 120v US cord that I had lying around into the back of the player and it worked just fine. After saying all that, what do you mean by conversion? When I first plugged it into my TV the picture came up right away, and I never had to mess with the settings. I own several region B discs now and they all play great. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #96

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Smile Pal<>NTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyeX View Post
I own the 180 and it works on US TVs out of the box. I took a chance when bought it back in Jan. 2018 because I found the manual a little confusing. But it ended up being the cheapest option that I could find. When I bought it, I ordered one of those converter boxes along with it, but later discovered I could simply plug in a standard 120v US cord that I had lying around into the back of the player and it worked just fine. After saying all that, what do you mean by conversion? When I first plugged it into my TV the picture came up right away, and I never had to mess with the settings. I own several region B discs now and they all play great. Hope this helps.
NyeX, I believe Mark_O's talking about converting a PAL video signal (as used in Region B/2) to NTSC video (as used in Region A/1). For example, I bought a Region B LG Blu-ray player and it displays the movies on Region B Blu-rays on my US Panasonic TV. However, it does NOT display PAL video on my TV, so I can't use it to view the Region 2 DVDs that came with some of my Region B Blu-rays (dual-format disc sets). Nor can I view PAL (SD resolution) video on the Region B Blu-rays, such as some extra features on the disc (like the French release of THIS ISLAND EARTH with its archival featurettes in SD resolution). The PAL content will play--I can hear the audio of the features--but I cannot see the features or menus that are in PAL format.

Rick
Old 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #97

Jan 2009
Texas
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmiddlebrooks View Post
NyeX, I believe Mark_O's talking about converting a PAL video signal (as used in Region B/2) to NTSC video (as used in Region A/1). For example, I bought a Region B LG Blu-ray player and it displays the movies on Region B Blu-rays on my US Panasonic TV. However, it does NOT display PAL video on my TV, so I can't use it to view the Region 2 DVDs that came with some of my Region B Blu-rays (dual-format disc sets). Nor can I view PAL (SD resolution) video on the Region B Blu-rays, such as some extra features on the disc (like the French release of THIS ISLAND EARTH with its archival featurettes in SD resolution). The PAL content will play--I can hear the audio of the features--but I cannot see the features or menus that are in PAL format.

Rick
Thanks for the clarification. I donít know which region B blu-rays I have that might include PAL bonus content. I have very few region 2 dvds, but the one I tested worked fine; picture came right up. If all region 2 dvds are PAL then I would think that means the 180 is converting it to play on my US TV. Might that be correct?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #98

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyeX View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I don’t know which region B blu-rays I have that might include PAL bonus content. I have very few region 2 dvds, but the one I tested worked fine; picture came right up. If all region 2 dvds are PAL then I would think that means the 180 is converting it to play on my US TV. Might that be correct?
Sure sounds that way to me! If you see what looks like SD resolution on the Region B Blu-rays, it's probably PAL video. The Region 2 DVDs are definitely PAL video. You can double-check that on a Region A player, but you're good to go!

As I said, my TV stayed blank during PAL video, although I could hear the sound. Wound up having to get a Region Free player for it anyway. At least the LG Region B player is still useful to me because it's also a 4K UHD player. My TV isn't a 4K TV, but now I can play 4K discs at 2K Blu-ray resolution to see that the discs work. I have a handful of 4K discs because at the time of purchase, it was practically the same price for the 4K + Blu-ray set as the Blu-ray + DVD set.

Last edited by rickmiddlebrooks; 11-14-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: go = good
Old 11-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #99

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

FWIW, my United Kingdom LG BP250 plays PAL video, including DVDs, just fine on wherever I've tested - Sony and TCL TVs and my projector (which can probably handle PAL natively.) I didn't try on my Vizio TV but I think it would work fine there, too.
Thanks given by:
rickmiddlebrooks (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #100

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
FWIW, my United Kingdom LG BP250 plays PAL video, including DVDs, just fine on wherever I've tested - Sony and TCL TVs and my projector (which can probably handle PAL natively.) I didn't try on my Vizio TV but I think it would work fine there, too.
I bet it will work perfectly with any U.S. TV since it does with the two you named. Unfortunately for me, the LG UBK180 doesn't do PAL<>NTSC conversion. Oh well!

Rick
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders