Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
5 hrs ago
The Wizard (Blu-ray)
$19.31
39 min ago
Assault on Precinct 13 (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Gods of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
5 hrs ago
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #341

Jul 2012
Paris, France

How much nits a PDP-LX5090 has?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #342

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
I can attest to much of what you are saying. I don't think OLED (sample and hold) will ever handle motion better than plasma or CRT. Glad I did not sell my 10 year old Kuro.
How does the poorer motion handling of OLED compared to Plasma manifest itself? As a movie (not sport) viewer, in what appreciable way does the motion look ‘worse’?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #343

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
How does the poorer motion handling of OLED compared to Plasma manifest itself? As a movie (not sport) viewer, in what appreciable way does the motion look ‘worse’?
It looks completely artificial. The motion in every movie and TV series you watch (even the best and biggest budget Hollywood movies) will look like a daytime TV soap opera.

To me, even an entry level plasma from LG, Samsung or Panasonic has very noticeably better looking and more natural motion presentation that ANY lcd, led, oled or 4K Tv I've ever seen, regardless of price.

I don't understand how most people are just accepting the way motion is presented with these TV's... even watching a preview for a movie on my computer's LCD screen doesn't have that crappy motion like the TV's do. I think its unacceptable, and it's ridiculous that after what, nearly two decades of LCD technology they still can't get it right!

Last edited by Twm1988; 07-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
Partyslammer (11-11-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #344
Banned

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
It looks completely artificial. The motion in every movie and TV series you watch (even the best and biggest budget Hollywood movies) will look like a daytime TV soap opera.

To me, even an entry level plasma from LG, Samsung or Panasonic has very noticeably better looking and more natural motion presentation that ANY lcd, led, oled or 4K Tv I've ever seen, regardless of price.

I don't understand how most people are just accepting the way motion is presented with these TV's... even watching a preview for a movie on my computer's LCD screen doesn't have that crappy motion like the TV's do. I think its unacceptable, and it's ridiculous that after what, nearly two decades of LCD technology they still can't get it right!
Pretty sure you don't have to watch movies that way. That has nothing to do with refresh rate and more with the interpolation technique that modern TV's use. It's called different things by each manufacturer. You'll see terms like "Motion Flow," "Tru Motion," etc. You can absolutely disable that crap when watching movies. The only time it's useful is while watching sports.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #345
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

You're still left with lesser motion capability compared to plasma. Both in terms of resolution and motion itself.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #346

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Pretty sure you don't have to watch movies that way. That has nothing to do with refresh rate and more with the interpolation technique that modern TV's use. It's called different things by each manufacturer. You'll see terms like "Motion Flow," "Tru Motion," etc. You can absolutely disable that crap when watching movies. The only time it's useful is while watching sports.
Yes that's true, but even after disabling those feature it only slightly improves the problem... it doesn't even come close to eliminating it.

I worked at a big box retailer year ago when I was between finding a job in my field, and I would go around in the morning turning all the TV's on and if I had spare time I would go through the menu's of all the LCD. LED's and try to turn that effect off as best I could.

When people came in looking for a new TV to replace their old LCD/LED then they wouldn't notice much wrong with the new TV's cause they were used to it... but if anyone saw the LCD/LED's sitting displayed next to the Plasma's, every single person would ask why they had this strange effect when the camera moved or panned side to side, haha!

It's still the same today... after watching my Plasma for the last 8 years, when I go into big box stores or even high end audio shops that have TV's on display, the motion problems stick out immediately to me. I guess it you're used to the LCD/LED motion then you don't know any different or care about it. But it's still there in every one of those new TV's even after all these years of "improvements" to their picture quality.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #347
Special Member

Sep 2011
UK

I recently had to set up a new 4k TV and also noticed the soap opera effect and I was surpised I could not turn it off as all interpolation settings were already off.

I wonder if this is related to something else I've been experiencing. I find new TVs quite uncomfortable to watch. Particularly when a shot changes (ie different camera or scene) new TVs' pixels change state very quickly meaning there is no smooth changeover, just a jerky switch. This is unnerving to me, it's like a jolt. I get a similar jolt with modern traffic lights changing colours.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #348
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
Just a some blurring when watching fast action like sports. I notice that on LED and to a lesser extent on OLED. Never seen it on Plasma. Could just be my eyes.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #349
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by figrin_dan View Post
I recently had to set up a new 4k TV and also noticed the soap opera effect and I was surpised I could not turn it off as all interpolation settings were already off.

I wonder if this is related to something else I've been experiencing. I find new TVs quite uncomfortable to watch. Particularly when a shot changes (ie different camera or scene) new TVs' pixels change state very quickly meaning there is no smooth changeover, just a jerky switch. This is unnerving to me, it's like a jolt. I get a similar jolt with modern traffic lights changing colours.
It's called TruMotion on LG OLED. Turning off really helps to eliminate soap opera effect.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-19-2019), teddyballgame (10-28-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #350
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by figrin_dan View Post

The best solution is to go to the user menu and select a better picture mode, e.g. for LG TV use ISF Day and for Sony select Custom, if it's a Samsung use the Movie mode.
Thanks given by:
figrin_dan (07-26-2019), Steelmaker (07-19-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 AM   #351
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
Florida

Looking to move big TVs out the house, I'm having a friend come by to give a better home to a 50" Pioneer Kuro PDp-5010FD that has the SMW 1985-A soundbar attached. Great picture, but the thing gets so hot and has since been replaced with an LG B8 OLED at 55", so figured time to move past.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:32 AM   #352
Expert Member

Jan 2011

A number of Pioneers and Panasonics have been popping up in local listings for temptingly cheap. I never got to experience much with plasmas so I've wondered if they are indeed worth it-that is if you can find a good one.
I've seen a Kuro or two for next to nothing but they all have the non working hdmi port issue. I take there's no affordable way to fix that kind of problem?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:39 AM   #353
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
A number of Pioneers and Panasonics have been popping up in local listings for temptingly cheap. I never got to experience much with plasmas so I've wondered if they are indeed worth it-that is if you can find a good one.
I've seen a Kuro or two for next to nothing but they all have the non working hdmi port issue. I take there's no affordable way to fix that kind of problem?

The Pioneer HDMI board can easily be replaced with a spare board from Pioneer's parts department (authorized Pioneer technician is recommended since the back needs removed to pop out the old board and to install the new board). Also the nice thing about the Pioneer is that if one of the four HDMI ports goes bad, the other three will still work. Some modern TV's have a main HDMI chip that all the ports share, and when that chip goes bad one losses all the HDMI ports. The Pioneer has 4 separate HDMI chips (one for each port). All 4 of the HDMI ports are working fine on my Pioneer plasma and my family members Pioneer plasma.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-22-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #354

Mar 2011

Does anyone know about 'micro LED'? Apparently it's going to take over from OLED. Do we know if it will reach Plasma-level motion resolution?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 AM   #355

Feb 2014
Sunfire Sub Mark IV, Martin Logan Acent i, Martin Logan Stage X Center

Even today, with all the amazing TV's out there, I absolutely still LOVE my Pioneer Elite Pro151fd (Kuro). It was, and is still, in my opinion, the Best TV ever made! It will be a sad day when this tv of mine gives me it's last flicker! So disappointed the 'Elite' Dept closed! Cheers
Thanks given by:
Fasteddie516 (11-07-2019), lokir1 (11-13-2019), Steelmaker (11-09-2019), Twm1988 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #356
Banned

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlupton1 View Post
Even today, with all the amazing TV's out there, I absolutely still LOVE my Pioneer Elite Pro151fd (Kuro). It was, and is still, in my opinion, the Best TV ever made! It will be a sad day when this tv of mine gives me it's last flicker! So disappointed the 'Elite' Dept closed! Cheers
I feel the same about my VT60. Why???? Why oh why couldn't a 4K HDR plasma have happened??
Thanks given by:
amarster (11-12-2019), Twm1988 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #357
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

There always will be loyal Pioneer Kuro owners, who'll refuse to admit that there are better TVs on the market. Anybody who said Kuros looks better than a OLED 4K TVs is strictly in denial, and don't want to upgrade because of loyalty to their Kuros.
Thanks given by:
jvonl (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #358

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I feel the same about my VT60. Why???? Why oh why couldn't a 4K HDR plasma have happened??
Because the world cares more about wow factor and quantity these days than they do about quality
Old 11-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #359
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

I ran a 50" Kuro for ten years and loved it. I now have a 65" LG C7 and WOW! Much of that wow is the result of HDR and WCG, but even so....no comparison. 4K means little unless you have a huge screen, but the rest is jaw dropping.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #360
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonl View Post
I ran a 50" Kuro for ten years and loved it. I now have a 65" LG C7 and WOW! Much of that wow is the result of HDR and WCG, but even so....no comparison. 4K means little unless you have a huge screen, but the rest is jaw dropping.
I still have my Kuro, it still beats the pants off my OLED in the area of shadow detail. I hate crushed blacks and a lack of detail. Most people complain about burn-in and banding on OLEDs, however crushed blacks is a serious flaw with that technology.

Panasonic VT60, Sony Z9D and Pioneer Kuro are better with shadow detail than OLED sets.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (11-13-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs