Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99
20 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.00

Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.98

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.75

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.59

Yogi Bear 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.00

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.74

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 11-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #41

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ttD View Post
I don't understand why people think that when their 3-D tv dies, their 3-D world is over.

It has me stumped honestly.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (11-01-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 02:29 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfan73 View Post
Puzzled why you would not consider a projector, as DLP 3D is the best there is anyway, and the immersion so, so much better. My 65" 3D TV is a feature I never use. Projection for 3D or nothing at all.
a cheaper projector is not any better than a TV in picture quality just size and this could also be a factor depending on room space. also its not everybody that can drop 10K plus on a nice top notch projector.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #43

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
a cheaper projector is not any better than a TV in picture quality just size and this could also be a factor depending on room space. also its not everybody that can drop 10K plus on a nice top notch projector.
I have five 3-D displays in my tiny apartment that cost me less than 7K.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #44

Mar 2017

Quote:

I got a DLP Optoma 3D projector(with Darbee enhancement) for $700, screen was $300. I already owned a 5.1 surround system. That is $1K for a projection setup. I never claimed it is better than TV in picture quality. I'm saying the 3D is better than nearly every TV out there(except for OLED passive 3D which is no longer manufactured). and the sense of immersion on a 120" screen (of course you can always go much smaller if you don't have the space) is second to none. Like I said the 3D on my TV is very good but 65" compared to better 3D at 120", it is a no brainer on which display I choose.

It is the difference between thinking something is really decent, to being literally "blown away" at the result.
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #45

Nov 2010
Canada 3d forever

FILM FAN...simply....right on !!
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (11-04-2019), Filmfan73 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #46
Special Member

Jul 2009

Has anyone ever measured how much of the market has a projector vs a conventional display? With those getting bigger I'd think it would be less now. I've never had a projector as the early analog ones were just too dark, but if they become the only choice for 3D then I guess that'll be what I get next time.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #47

Mar 2017

Some guy projecting 150" image on a plain white wall with no screen. Yes that is an option. 12,000 hour lamp life.
Keep in mind this projector is optimized for 3D under $500 (actually under $400 limited time deal currently) and from one of the best manufacturers in the business.... Optoma.

Optoma HD143X Affordable High Performance 1080p Home Theater Projector, 3000 Lumens, 3D Support, Long 12000 Lamp Life, for Indoor and Outdoor Movies, Built In Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077C5FLJF

Last edited by Filmfan73; 11-03-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (11-04-2019), The Valeyard (11-09-2019), tommygunz (11-05-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

One thing that projector owners almost never talk about is lamp prices (non generic ones) and how often do you replace them.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #49

Mar 2017

Quote:
One thing that projector owners almost never talk about is lamp prices (non generic ones) and how often do you replace them.

From what I have read the generic lamps for most projectors that are around the $80 range do a perfect job. So the reason to buy an "official" lamp replacement for $200-$400 is kind of crazy to me.

However, I have two Optoma projectors. short throw, and long throw.
One has 690 hours on the lamp the other has 2,600 hours (out of 4,000).
The projector with my most hours I have had since 2015, and I'm here to tell you that is $700 well spent. I have a huge 3D collection, and watching all of those discs was fantastic. Plus I watched so much other content I can't believe I have only owned it four years.
Trust me when I say you definitely get a lot of great viewing for what you pay for. I will sell my current unit on E-bay probably get a couple hundred dollars for it, and upgrade to a newer projector with even longer lamp life which most cheap DLP currently start at 10,000 hours, and up. That is a ton of hours to gather up.

I have never bought an expensive projector, and do not feel the need to. A nice DLP in normal HD is such a beautiful thing, I don't really think the need to go 4K yet...

Last edited by Filmfan73; 11-03-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (11-04-2019), Mobe1969 (11-04-2019), Okiephile (11-07-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #50

Dec 2014
SE Mass, USA, Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ttD View Post
I don't understand why people think that when their 3-D tv dies, their 3-D world is over.
I think it's because most of us grew up with TVs rather than projectors. We just wouldn't think of it or know about it. But, thanks to you and all of the good people on this site, I now know about projectors. Of course, I hope my Panasonic plasma lasts forever, but it is good to know that I can go to a projector if the worst happens.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (11-04-2019), br3ttD (11-04-2019), Filmfan73 (11-05-2019), Joe D. (11-05-2019), tommygunz (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #51
Special Member

Mar 2010

Don't know if mentioned before but you can always go used. Sometimes when people move, they sell their setd. I see quite a few on Craigslist. I picked up a 55" LG for $225!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #52

Mar 2017

And I think it is great that even though 3D is pretty much dead in the U.S., and dying slowly around the rest of the world that Projector manufacturers like Epson, BenQ, and Optoma continue to support 3D. Even in their newest tech like 4K Ultra Short Throw Laser projectors have 3D.

That is why I support them. Give me the features I want, and I will be a buying customer for life.

Last edited by Filmfan73; 11-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #53

Mar 2017

Quote:
And I think it is great that even though 3D is pretty much dead in the U.S., and dying slowly around the rest of the world that Projector manufacturers like Epson, BenQ, and Optoma continue to support 3D. Even in their newest tech like 4K Ultra Short Throw Laser projectors have 3D.

That is why I support them. Give me the features I want, and I will be a buying customer for life.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #54

Dec 2014
SE Mass, USA, Earth

If I may ask a completely uninformed question, speaking as a CRT then plasma tv person who has never seen anything projected from one of the units described in this thread, how do the images compare? How is the sharpness, clarity, contrast, and how well is motion processed? Apologies if this is too off topic. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #55

Dec 2017
Clermont, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If I may ask a completely uninformed question, speaking as a CRT then plasma tv person who has never seen anything projected from one of the units described in this thread, how do the images compare? How is the sharpness, clarity, contrast, and how well is motion processed? Apologies if this is too off topic. Thanks!
I, too, am very interested and after reading some of the comments, I am also going to start doing some real research. I have an aging 3D Vizio that is actually quite great, but at some point I will want it replaced in order to get 4K and all of that. Also, living in a small apartment always made me just "ignore" looking at a projector, but now I am going to do so.

I also would like to know for anyone that does a lot of gaming on a projector (lag, for example?) as I love my video games as well as 3D films!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

I have the Sony VPL-HW45ES, and it produces beautiful 2D and 3D pictures.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-06-2019), Filmfan73 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #57

Mar 2017

Quote:

I am a CRT (I still have multiple units that are being used) and Plasma fanatic (R,I.P.) So trust me when I say the picture on a DLP is nothing short of breathtaking. The color is very rich, and so vibrant. Motion is perfect, clarity and sharpness are very good--especially those equipped with the Darbee processor--Contrast is fine but nothing will match a good plasma or CRT. We are talking movie theater quality if that helps.
LCD projectors are great as well, but if you want the kind of quality you get from a sub $1K DLP, you are going to have to go with an expensive LCD model which usually start at well over the $1,000 mark and up. 3D is generally better on DLP than LCD.
Make sure that the projector has nothing less than 2,000 Lumens. That is very bright, and you definitely want at least that. OF course the higher lumens the better.

I'm being honest here but I was so scared when I bought my first projector,
I thought I made a mistake blowing all that money on something I have never seen before. Those fears were eliminated with my first viewing of a film on it (Raiders of the Lost Ark) . It is like being in your own theater it looks better, and it is just an amazing experience. The movies you own are rightfully viewed each time with a projector. I have a 65" 4K expensnive TV set, that I only use for TV shows. Every film both 3D, and flat get viewed on my projector.
Just remember ambient light like sunshine peaking through windows is not projector friendly. I have mine in my living room and only watch at night when it looks absolute best. HAve your blinds drawn, or watch on an overcast day. If you have bright sunlight in the room with projector it does not work well...washed out image. This is why basements work so well for Home Theaters.

Do you have a flat white wall? That works very well, otherwise 120"-150" fixed frames are wonderful (I run at 135").

Last edited by Filmfan73; 11-06-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (11-06-2019), Emoto (11-06-2019), Okiephile (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 AM   #58

Sep 2019
Oklahoma

Quote:
I hesitated for a long time before buying a projector. I have a samsung plasma a nd a Samsung 4K led and I prefer my $600 projector to both unbelievable picture quality and great 3 D from a 8 ft distance better than the local theater.

Last edited by Okiephile; 11-07-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (11-07-2019), Filmfan73 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #59

Sep 2019
Oklahoma

Quote:
To tell the truth in 7000 hours with the technology moving so fast I’ll probably be ready for an upgrade. Should be about 5 years for me. That means $120 a year or $10 a month , cheaper than Netflix.

Last edited by Okiephile; 11-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Quote:
From what I have read the generic lamps for most projectors that are around the $80 range do a perfect job. So the reason to buy an "official" lamp replacement for $200-$400 is kind of crazy to me.
I haven't had to replace them yet. Granted, my DLP is still quite new. The prices can be steep but it also depends on how handy you are personally. The bare lamps are quite a bit cheaper than the entire housing but I understand great care must be taken in handling a lamp.

Quote:
I have an Epson and a BenQ DLP and an LG Plasma. If it weren't for the fact that the Plasma is sitting in front of my bed, it probably wouldn't get much use but to be fair, it does have better contrast than my two projectors. The clarity on both projectors is quite good and the motion on the DLP is better than either of the other two. I should also add here, that for 3D use, the DLP has zero issues with ghosting/cross-talk. It is, however, prone to sync issues with the glasses so your set-up range will need to be more tightly controlled...at least on my model. Less than stellar contrast can be mitigated pretty much if you have control of the ambient light, making basements a popular location. I also have black out curtains for my living room set-up, including the entryway to the rest of the house. Things look pretty damn good here not to mention the fact that my "small" projector set-up is over 4 times larger than my 60" plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikaroth View Post
I, too, am very interested and after reading some of the comments, I am also going to start doing some real research. I have an aging 3D Vizio that is actually quite great, but at some point I will want it replaced in order to get 4K and all of that. Also, living in a small apartment always made me just "ignore" looking at a projector, but now I am going to do so.

I also would like to know for anyone that does a lot of gaming on a projector (lag, for example?) as I love my video games as well as 3D films!
Projector screen sizes are selectable, it doesn't really take any more space than a TV. My son plays video games on my DLP all day when he's over and loves it. Neither one of us play online head to head with anyone so I couldn't tell you about that aspect. Of course, you may be more sensitive to lag.
Thanks given by:
Okiephile (11-09-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion