Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$62.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #19081
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

I read today that itís been confirmed that the Loki tv series on Disney+ will tie in to Doctor Strange 2. In other words, it will be necessary to see Loki if Dr Strange 2 is to make total sense. This is obviously going to be continued down the whole range of Disney properties that also carry their own tv show AND film.

This poses a number of questions such as, where does this leave the Blu-ray if said tv shows? Is it worth buying the films on disc if the tv show that ties in with them isnít available on disc.

It would seem I will have a decision to make come 2021, is it going to become ciondusing and too difficult to maintain a Marvel disc collection with the inter connected world of subscription streaming?

Finally, I wonder if 2021 will see Blu-ray take a battering as more people go the Disney+ route. Things are going to get complicated. .
Old 11-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #19082
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I read today that itís been confirmed that the Loki tv series on Disney+ will tie in to Doctor Strange 2. In other words, it will be necessary to see Loki if Dr Strange 2 is to make total sense.
That's a leap. I think it's more likely the other way around.

Would you say that you have to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for Captain American: The Winter Soldier to make sense?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #19083
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
That's a leap. I think it's more likely the other way around.

Would you say that you have to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for Captain American: The Winter Soldier to make sense?
No, but it’s already been confirmed that storylines will Continue across tv and film for Disney. In other words, happenings in the tv shows will impact the films. This is not speculation, it’s been confirmed.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #19084
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
No, but it’s already been confirmed that storylines will Continue across tv and film for Disney. In other words, happenings in the tv shows will impact the films. This is not speculation, it’s been confirmed.
But would you say you have to watch all of the MCU films for any of them to make sense?

The connections are very loose. The vast majority of them work perfectly as stand-alone films. I highly doubt I'll be the least bit lost watching the movies if I never see the Disney+ MCU series.
Thanks given by:
rui no onna (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #19085
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
But would you say you have to watch all of the MCU films for any of them to make sense?

The connections are very loose. The vast majority of them work perfectly as stand-alone films. I highly doubt I'll be the least bit lost watching the movies if I never see the Disney+ MCU series.
Yes. If I went from Spider-Man to Far From Home without seeing Infinity War and Endgame, I would have been confused to shit.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #19086
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Yes. If I went from Spider-Man to Far From Home without seeing Infinity War and Endgame, I would have been confused to shit.
Then you're very easily confused. All of the relevant parts of Infinity War and Endgame are explained in the first 5 minutes of Far From Home.
Thanks given by:
rui no onna (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #19087
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Finally, I wonder if 2021 will see Blu-ray take a battering as more people go the Disney+ route. Things are going to get complicated. .
And Apple TV+, as well - especially if you're in 2021. Apple TV+ seems to be debuting new and original content every month while their initial debuts offerings are still running on a weekly basis.

Definitely some variables involved.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #19088
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Then you're very easily confused. All of the relevant parts of Infinity War and Endgame are explained in the first 5 minutes of Far From Home.
I’m not easily confused at all, I’m a twin Peaks fanatic.

You could read a spoiler review for Endgame and be up to date but you wouldn’t know about individual characters and their journey. Marvel fans watch these films and shows because they love the characters.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #19089
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
And Apple TV+, as well - especially if you're in 2021. Apple TV+ seems to be debuting new and original content every month while their initial debuts offerings are still running on a weekly basis.

Definitely some variables involved.
I donít see Apple shows as a threat to that. They are more like Netflix. Disney already has a theatrical presence.
Those watching Apple shows are probably not the same folk who are watching Blu-ray/UHD.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #19090
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
I donít see Apple shows as a threat to that. They are more like Netflix. Disney already has a theatrical presence.
Those watching Apple shows are probably not the same folk who are watching Blu-ray/UHD.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I didn't get the distinction at first.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #19091
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Those watching vertically oriented movies, 3 minute movies, interactive movies, and movies with social media integration are not the same folk who are watching Blu-ray/UHD. Yet you've predicted all of these things will wipe out film as we know it and become the only options in the future.

I'm surprised there is anything that you don't see as a threat.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #19092
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Those watching vertically oriented movies, 3 minute movies, interactive movies, and movies with social media integration are not the same folk who are watching Blu-ray/UHD. Yet you've predicted all of these things will wipe out film as we know it and become the only options in the future.

I'm surprised there is anything that you don't see as a threat.
You take every opportunity going to knock me donít you?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #19093
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Iím not easily confused at all, Iím a twin Peaks fanatic.
That could just mean you enjoy being confused
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #19094
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Thanks given by:
octagon (11-08-2019), The_Donster (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #19095
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #19096
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

You guys are all over the place, but it's coming down to put up or shut up. Bob Iger with Disney+ is going All In, he says "Innovate or Parish" Streaming is The Future and he will commit Billions to this. Dance all around Streaming, but it should be clear to anyone this is the direction we are going!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/media...ers/index.html
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #19097
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You guys are all over the place, but it's coming down to put up or shut up. Bob Iger with Disney+ is going All In, he says "Innovate or Parish" Streaming is The Future and he will commit Billions to this. Dance all around Streaming, but it should be clear to anyone this is the direction we are going!

Disney spends over $25 billion per year on media content. According to that article they plan to spend $2.5 billion per year on Disney+ by 2025. That's 10% of their spending, it most certainly isn't their main focus. It's also a pittance compared to the $71 billion they just spent on Fox.

None of the studios that have been around for decades are making streaming their main focus, it's just another source of revenue. Both streaming and physical media are niche markets compared to broadcast and cable TV but that doesn't mean that either of them are in danger of going away. Cable TV, broadcast TV, streaming, physical media, and theaters can all co-exist just fine.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 11-09-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #19098
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
So thereís an age limit and itís only the ďkidsĒ who use social media and streaming?
Live streaming? Yeah, itís a young persons game for gaming. I canít recall seeing a single streamer over 50. If we are talking special interests, yeah, I have seen cooking streams with older people.

You do know Iím talking shout Twitch/Youtube style live tv right? Iím not talking about regular streaming.
While I donít utilize it, I do know people in my demographic that do
Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #19099
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post

We arenít all over the place. At least Iím not. Iím laser focussed on building my disc collection to extreme levels with some never before released titles and unusual titles that I never expected to see on Blu-ray. Those discs will be guaranteed to play on the new PS5 and that console will also play UHD discs. Thatís a safe bet for at least the next decade.

Your ORIGINAL argument was for the Ďon life supportí Digital HD until you realised that was a dead end and now you are championing Subscription. You continue to deprive yourself of top quality A/V and the reason for this is your setup is bang average. Streaming will look decent to you because you donít know better. Streaming will sound decent to you because you donít know better. While my system purrs when it gets a high quality source (UHD, Blu-ray) yours cackles and scratches.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #19100
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
While I donít utilize it, I do know people in my demographic that do
For a living?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology