Best iTunes Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rocky Heavyweight Collection (iTunes)
$29.99
19 hrs ago
Shazam / Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.98

Shazam! (iTunes)
$9.99

Blade Runner 2049 (iTunes)
$7.99

The Aviator (iTunes)
$4.99

Holmes & Watson / Step Brothers / Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (iTunes)
$19.99

Mad Max: Fury Road (iTunes)
$7.99

Black Mass (iTunes)
$4.99

The Big Lebowski (iTunes)
$7.99

Hacksaw Ridge (iTunes)
$4.99

Wreck-It Ralph (iTunes)
$14.99

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #7681
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
My internet is terrible, and technically, most people sit too far away from their 4K screens, to where they're not even seeing 4K resolution, but a less compressed 1080p or 720p by the time it reaches their eyes.

4K UltraHD Blu-ray is better quality than 4K streaming. That's a fact.

Is it a huge difference? Well, that's in the eye of the beholder, with lots of various factors going into what each individual sees.

Internet quality service can indeed be one. For instance, until my internet is fixed, I can't watch 4K via iTunes at all. I can via VUDU, and it looks no different than when I had twice the speed. iTunes may be different, as I guess they use a VBR.

As others have mentioned, physical audio quality is MUCH better than digital.

There are benefits to physical over digital, and vice versa.

Confirmation bias works both ways.

People could want to justify $30 discs (should they purchase them at $30) and needing a physical collection.

or

People could want to justify not wanting to buy a physical collection and possibly saving money.

There are trade-offs with each choice. An individual should make up their own mind about what works best for them.
I think most of it is that people are super paranoid that digital movies can disappear since it's not physically in their hands. But digital is the future and Apple has more money then god so the odds of any of us outliving our digital library is pretty low.
Thanks given by:
Jumpman (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #7682
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny77 View Post
Got a response form Warner Digital:

Icealleanna J (Digital Support)
Oct 19, 17:28 PDT

Hello John,

We apologize for the inconvenience with your title The Shining (Extended Cut) . Unfortunately , movie titles does not migrate over to 4K . The versions you would receive is either in " Standard " or " High Definition " . We understand how frustrating this can be and appreciate your patience and understanding .

Best Regards,
Icealleanna

I replied back explain I bought it the UK store and migration isn't relevant as we don't have Movies Anywhere.

They are continuing to upgrade the iTunes Extras on both versions, so I hope they eventually upgrade it to 4k, I'll give it another few weeks and then if not, I'll probably fold and buy it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
WB just aren’t getting it regarding the Shining:

“We understand you are inquiring about the 4k upgrade offer, however, Warner Bros. Studios is not able to provide iTunes codes for replacement, exchange, or upgrades.

If you have any questions regarding this upgrade offer, please feel free to reach out to iTunes support directly for more information.“

I don’t know why this time it’s so hard to understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
I had an email from the person in question.

"Hello David,
Thank you for time and concern. We are happy to redirect you to Itunes support for your 4k upgrade.
Camille".

Talk about being mugged off yet again.
“Camille” is at it again.

She has hijacked my complaint about The Shining to “thank me for my patience but go bug off and tell Apple about it”.

I asked her to stop trying to use my complaint to make it look like she is doing work and pass it to someone who knows what it is about.

I’m going to start sending that original complaint multiple tones a day until we get progress.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #7683
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfTheForest View Post
“Camille” is at it again.

She has hijacked my complaint about The Shining to “thank me for my patience but go bug off and tell Apple about it”.

I asked her to stop trying to use my complaint to make it look like she is doing work and pass it to someone who knows what it is about.

I’m going to start sending that original complaint multiple tones a day until we get progress.
Is the Shining not $10 in the iTunes Store where you are ?

I understand wanting things to be "right" but you have been working on this and upset about this for quite some time. If I were you I would buy the shining in iTunes and solve my problem.

In fact... I had the shining in iTunes most likely from Movies Anywhere so it didn't upgrade to 4K ... so I bought it outright and bingo problem solved.

Hours of stress to not spend $10 isn't something I can relate to. If it was more maybe ... like a lot more.

-Brian
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #7684
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrok View Post
I think most of it is that people are super paranoid that digital movies can disappear since it's not physically in their hands. But digital is the future and Apple has more money then god so the odds of any of us outliving our digital library is pretty low.
I don't think the amount of money Apple has is relevant. If a studio pulls a title from the store it disappears from your library. If you ask iTunes support about it they will explain they are a "store front" and the "content owners" can remove any title at any time for any reason and then if you have been asking nicely they will give you 2 rentals to make up for the movie that dissappeared.

I've had it happen to me more than once so saying it will never happen isn't something I would agree with.

-Brian

p.s. ATV4K is my favorite thing and my iTunes collection is more like 1000 titles but I haven't updated the collection feature on this site yet. So I'm not saying the above things as some sort of attack on streaming. I'm pretty much all in for streaming. However, recently I started buying physical media again for better sound and I always make sure the streaming copy is included as I share it with my family.

Last edited by bhampton; 11-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #7685
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Is the Shining not $10 in the iTunes Store where you are ?

I understand wanting things to be "right" but you have been working on this and upset about this for quite some time. If I were you I would buy the shining in iTunes and solve my problem.

In fact... I had the shining in iTunes most likely from Movies Anywhere so it didn't upgrade to 4K ... so I bought it outright and bingo problem solved.

Hours of stress to not spend $10 isn't something I can relate to. If it was more maybe ... like a lot more.

-Brian
Where are you getting the idea that I’m “upset” and “suffering hours of stress”?

I’m annoyed and determined that this practice comes to an end but I have no idea where you get the impression that it consuming my every waking hour?

Sending the same email complaint multiple times a day is not a big deal. I just tap send
Thanks given by:
Bobcat2112 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 01:05 AM   #7686
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
I don't think the amount of money Apple has is relevant. If a studio pulls a title from the store it disappears from your library.
This is simply false. Quite a few of my movies are no longer for sale in the store but are still in my library. Titles actually being removed from users' libraries is extremely rare and in most cases the result of a temporary mistake.
Thanks given by:
awp69 (11-09-2019), ManOfTheForest (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #7687

Jan 2019
Singapore

American Gangster is now 4K HDR on the Singapore store.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #7688

Jan 2019
Singapore

It’s showing up as HD in my library. But if I go to the Watch Now section of the TV app and play it from there it plays in 4K HDR. Does this usually happen when movies in your library are upgraded?

BTW the movie looks great in 4K
Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #7689

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
It’s showing up as HD in my library. But if I go to the Watch Now section of the TV app and play it from there it plays in 4K HDR. Does this usually happen when movies in your library are upgraded?

BTW the movie looks great in 4K
Is that the theatrical or extended cut?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #7690

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
Is that the theatrical or extended cut?
It’s the theatrical cut.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #7691
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
This is simply false. Quite a few of my movies are no longer for sale in the store but are still in my library. Titles actually being removed from users' libraries is extremely rare and in most cases the result of a temporary mistake.
It happened to me and I still have the 2 free rental credits. (I did rent a movie after but they charged me and I still have the 2 free movie credits.)

I agree about the movies being removed from the store but sill being in the library ... I have a list of titles that do that for me.

I also have some movies that are still in the store but the store doesn't know I own them and they are still in my library tab. Valerian is an example of this and this was happening with my Kill Bill 1 and 2 but they resolved that.

I would like think it will never happen again so I'm going to hope that's the case. Things are surely changing. And I hope for the best going forward.

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 11-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #7692

Apr 2017
UK

Quote:
It happened to me and I still have the 2 free rental credits. (I did rent a movie after but they charged me and I still have the 2 free movie credits.)

I agree about the movies being removed from the store but sill being in the library ... I have a list of titles that do that for me.

I also have some movies that are still in the store but the store doesn't know I own them and they are still in my library tab. Valerian is an example of this and this was happening with my Kill Bill 1 and 2 but they resolved that.

I would like think it will never happen again so I'm going to hope that's the case. Things are surely changing. And I hope for the best going forward.

-Brian
The store doesn’t know you own them because you don’t, they were relisted so although you do own the movie which is still in your library you don’t own that particular listing that’s available in the store for purchase.
I’m yet to see any evidence where any movies have been removed completely where the user has no access to them at all and never returned.
Thanks given by:
Kizzo (11-10-2019), ManOfTheForest (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #7693
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I hope for the best.

I have over a thousand iTunes titles. I just updated my collection here. I believe they removed the numbers in all the AppleTV apps so people couldn't notice when stuff disappears even if it's temporary.

Speaking with Apple though you don't own the things you buy on iTunes. They tell you the content owners are the studios. They never refer to the iTunes customer as the owner.

I'm heavily invested and I LOVE being able to share my collection with my whole family so don't think I'm trying to Dis iTunes... I just have what I feel are valid concerns about using iTunes to collect movies.

Thankfully,.... The UltraHD disc (when a title is available on the format) has better audio every single time and while the free 4K upgrades got me into iTunes I think going forward I will collect the discs and hopefully get the iTunes content as a bonus.

-Brian
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #7694
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
I have over a thousand iTunes titles. I just updated my collection here. I believe they removed the numbers in all the AppleTV apps so people couldn't notice when stuff disappears even if it's temporary.
That's false too. You can see the number of movies in the TV app on MacOS Catalina (go to Library and select "Show Status Bar" in the View menu). You can also see it in the Purchased sections of the Movies and TV Shows apps on the latest version of tvOS. Not to mention in iTunes, which continues to be supported on Windows.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #7695
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

ok... didn't know about the status bar .. but then that used to work differently. Found that now.

BTW it doesn't work well... It says I have 6 TV shows for total of less than 4 hours when actually I have 6 complete TV series 5 of which have over 100 episodes which adds up to a whole lotta more hours. But,... it's something anyway.

I did use iTunes on Windows until very recently and I may re load it because I can't find another way to get a old Digital copy but I'm thinking that may have been SD so that's why I haven't bothered yet.

So...hopefully I said something wrong here again to keep Fiffy going.

Last edited by bhampton; 11-09-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #7696
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
I still prefer physical, but after collecting DVDs, Blu-rays, and now 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, and spending a lot of money on all three, as well as the amount of space physical takes up, I like the idea of digital.

After being through multiple tornado warnings and my second hurricane (first major one) the past couple of years, I'm less concerned about the whole "digital can disappear, physical can't" aspect.

Also, while a 1080p Blu-ray can look phenomenal upscaled on a 4K TV, the studio releasing multiple titles in 4K digital only is certainly a factor into my decisions.

I prefer to buy physical when it's a title I love that I know I'm going to watch over and over, or a movie that's a classic that I want to own in the best possible way, which often comes with a 4K digital copy. Some physical blind-buys not included.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #7697
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Quote:
I don't think the amount of money Apple has is relevant. If a studio pulls a title from the store it disappears from your library. If you ask iTunes support about it they will explain they are a "store front" and the "content owners" can remove any title at any time for any reason and then if you have been asking nicely they will give you 2 rentals to make up for the movie that dissappeared.

I've had it happen to me more than once so saying it will never happen isn't something I would agree with.

-Brian

p.s. ATV4K is my favorite thing and my iTunes collection is more like 1000 titles but I haven't updated the collection feature on this site yet. So I'm not saying the above things as some sort of attack on streaming. I'm pretty much all in for streaming. However, recently I started buying physical media again for better sound and I always make sure the streaming copy is included as I share it with my family.
I was referring more to the fact that Apple will have little reason to ever dump their movie/TV stores since it's part of their huge ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
I still prefer physical, but after collecting DVDs, Blu-rays, and now 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, and spending a lot of money on all three, as well as the amount of space physical takes up, I like the idea of digital.

After being through multiple tornado warnings and my second hurricane (first major one) the past couple of years, I'm less concerned about the whole "digital can disappear, physical can't" aspect.

Also, while a 1080p Blu-ray can look phenomenal upscaled on a 4K TV, the studio releasing multiple titles in 4K digital only is certainly a factor into my decisions.

I prefer to buy physical when it's a title I love that I know I'm going to watch over and over, or a movie that's a classic that I want to own in the best possible way, which often comes with a 4K digital copy. Some physical blind-buys not included.
I've petty much gone full digital for anything that's not on 4K disc. Still have big collection of BDs to work through though.
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #7698
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
I was referring more to the fact that Apple will have little reason to ever dump their movie/TV stores since it's part of their huge ecosystem.
Is it though? ... The iTunes music store was a pretty big deal for a while and now Apple Music and other subscription music services have really changed the way people consume music.

Back in time a ways when the idea of is buying digital safe was discussed a lot of people threw out - "Vudu is Walmart and Walmart isn't going anywhere." Yes... Walmart is here to stay but they can drop Vudu like a hot rock if it turns out to be a non profitable part of the business. Walmart is all about bottom line and if Vudu isn't making money it's gone and now they are looking to dump it.

Target's streaming service - Gone
Best Buy's streaming service - Gone
Ultraviolet - Gone
Sony's streaming service -Gone
Even PlayStation Vue which is a bit of a different type of thing - Gone
Firmstruck - Gone

I wonder just how much the iTunes movie tv store is as a percentage of the apple ecosystem. I know Phones is huge and iPad and other hardware.

AppleTV will prioritize Amazon Prime Video over items in my library. And, I hate that. Currently, if I search for Amelie using Siri AppleTV app tells me to download HBO or Hulu or Prime but I actually think my library copy is better quality and the store doesn't know it's in my library.

I really feel like they want to have a channel and everything is moving to these channels and owning movies is becoming a thing of the past... but of course, I can't predict anything ... just seems like the way it's going.

And,... I hope that owning movies stays an option. I'm very glad for UltraHD Blu Ray and if it's the last format for collectors at least is a good one.

-Brian

Last edited by bhampton; 11-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #7699

May 2019

So I was trying to find Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 so I can add it into my collection but having issues finding it in the iTunes section, only comes up as blue-ray. Can anyone help. Thx
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #7700
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night*Wolf View Post
So I was trying to find Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 so I can add it into my collection but having issues finding it in the iTunes section, only comes up as blue-ray. Can anyone help. Thx
Doesn't seem to be there... I think you can add titles to the database
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes