Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$187.86
2 hrs ago
Kick-Ass 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$21.80
5 hrs ago
Suspiria (Blu-ray)
$69.99
3 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default Help Rate My Gaming Media Profile

Hi ladies and gents.

I decided after a while of consideration that i'd like to give YouTube a go and streaming with Twitch for gaming and i decided on some advice to make an Instagram page to help push any awesome gameplay clips i get whilst streaming to interest potential viewers.

It's just i feel like i may not be doing something effectively enough and am looking for some feedback on what i could improve. That said, the following caveats are in place and can't be overcome just yet.

My Setup

PS4 - I capture game videos and stream direct from PS4 (720p 30fps MAX as i don't have a Pro which does 1080p). I edit my videos directly on PS4 via Sharefactory from the first to the last posted.

HyperX Cloud II USB headset with digital mic for voice recording in Sharefactory.

Smartphone - I use this to manage and upload to my Instagram account and keep track of Twitch. Comments, clips etc

Those are the only 2 things i personally have full access to and use. Occasionally i may borrow a laptop from a family member for limited things.

So with that said, could you guys check out the following and let me know what you think i could improve on bearing in mind the limitations of my setup.

TIA

YouTube https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1NIkxEg6LsFlyrFt945I_g
TWITCH - Twitch.tv/N4RMAK
Instagram - @N4RMAK

I am probably gonna upgrade to PS5 next year and that will allow full 1080p 60fps game capture and streaming hopefully. I may be able to grab a laptop down the line to help add overlays and things to my Twitch. I'm also looking to buy a standalone Yeti mic for voice overs. So bear that in mind please.

I'm kind of curious where i may be going wrong to growing my channels and streaming. I just don't seem to be getting enough traction and snowball momentum.

NB - I did make this thread in "General Chat" but think this sections a better fit after consideration.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2015

It seems to be all Fortnite. I know that's popular, but maybe some variety could help.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

I will get my kids to watch your channel. They are both home for the summer either playing Fortnite (which they are both doing right this minute) or watching Youtube. I'll get some honest feedback out of them for sure.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Well good news is you didnít make a channel name ďaroundĒ Fortnite.

So you have potential to mix up future content with other games of interest to you.

Variety is key. Gaming news is popular even if it isnít 100% accurate for a good reason. It gives you the chance to let people know the type of gamer you are. Like an invitation because your putting your personal context around the content & how you personally feel about said content.

I would avoid chasing trends. Reason is you are no longer in competition space (YouTube Views) against others if you continue to focus on the trend. You are in the same category & not much defines you as a creator.

Most importantly, focus on what you like, avoid Negative criticisms.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
It seems to be all Fortnite. I know that's popular, but maybe some variety could help.
In terms of YouTube, i have been sticking to what i know. It's both a saturated but high viewer category and i can play quite well, so i also kind of know what type of gameplay viewers might want to see. I have been mixing it up on stream with new PS+ titles like Horizon Chase Turbo but can't stream single player games. I used a PS4 to stream, record, edit and upload with a smartphone to help with small tasks. So streaming single player games with Playthroughs etc. isn't gonna be possible unless i get a laptop and Elgato. Not feasible atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo29 View Post
I will get my kids to watch your channel. They are both home for the summer either playing Fortnite (which they are both doing right this minute) or watching Youtube. I'll get some honest feedback out of them for sure.
Thanks a lot. I try to keep my language to a minimum for YouTube vids but i have put up one lately with a warning in video. Rest are usually clean though. It's my Twitch streams i've set to a mature audience setting though so people know there's gonna be language sometimes. Frustration etc. with game mechanics, RNG etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Well good news is you didnít make a channel name ďaroundĒ Fortnite.

So you have potential to mix up future content with other games of interest to you.

Variety is key. Gaming news is popular even if it isnít 100% accurate for a good reason. It gives you the chance to let people know the type of gamer you are. Like an invitation because your putting your personal context around the content & how you personally feel about said content.

I would avoid chasing trends. Reason is you are no longer in competition space (YouTube Views) against others if you continue to focus on the trend. You are in the same category & not much defines you as a creator.

Most importantly, focus on what you like, avoid Negative criticisms.
I knew from the beginning i wanted more of a "Brand" channel that would allow me to almost do anythimg with it. Whether that be go from gaming to commentary, to fashion and entertainment. So on etc. I'm a gamer at hesrt though and i can generally play well, so i've felt it was a good place to start.

My problems been getting more than single or double digit viewers. I've not ever got more than a hundred odd views. Even though lately i've been pushing my Instagram HARD to post regular clips of myself pull off crazy shots, funny etc. but nothing really seems to be working out well in terms of growing.

I literally just got an email telling me i've been on YouTube for a year plus now. Its crazy to think it's been that long. What's even crazier is to think about how much effort i've peen putting in and feels like i'm in literal quick sand with this whole thing.

Genuinely, i feel grateful for every single person who has subscribed on YouTube, followed on Twitch or Instagram. However its become a joke and disheartening to see myself put so much effort in and get little to no traction on things. I don't believe people are owed or deserved anything, but i come a philosophy that hard work and concerted effort should have some pay off. I will put my content up against others with hundreds or thousands of views almost all day long and not understand how i'm not able to grow to even a few hundred subscribers in the last 3 months.

We're talking about a platform with probably billions of users and views a day. To not even hit a hundred on content regularly at this points just made me feel like it's time to hang it all up. No more YouTube, no more Twitch and no more Instagram. They say "Rome wasn't built in a day". That's true but wtf kinda "Rome" am i building if 6 months after i started i couldn't even hit triple digit views and subscribers with the content i have.

I'm not gonna sugar coat it. I'm salty as fudge making this post and i can even guess how it could come across. But i'm sure we can all relate to putting our best efforts in and seeing things constantly fall even when we've started making changes and try new things to help.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I’ve been on since I first started uploading Bloodborne boss fights when the game came out.

After that made a bunch of Witcher 3 vids as well as Battlefront funny moments kinda stuff mixed with game intros which I named Press Start. I think I did around 130 games.

Only 92 subs.

Should mention I use my channel for my personal use. If people sub, cool, if not, cool.

I don’t look at YouTube as a career maker. I don’t think anyone should.

Last edited by Derb; 07-07-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Iíve been on since I first started uploading Bloodborne boss fights when the game came out.

After that made a bunch of Witcher 3 vids as well as Battlefront funny moments kinda stuff mixed with game intros which I named Press Start. I think I did around 130 games.

Only 92 subs.

Should mention I use my channel for my personal use. If people sub, cool, if not, cool.

I donít look at YouTube as a career maker. I donít think anyone should.
Thanks for sharing. I am not looking at it as a "career maker" per se but i'm putting enough time and energy into it lately as a serious side thing to grow, then it's disheartening to not see growth even when you're really steping up your content. I have tried to upload on a regular basis, weekly or so. Make sure the contents interesting and varied. Properly edited etc.

I'm not looking to become a "Ninja" with the channel or even some of the "Top Streamers" for Fortnite come YouTube but seeing absolutely snail paced growth is demoralising tbh. Especially when you are stepping up your game. Like i said, the Twitch and Instagram stuff was there to try promote it. It's just not getting traction and i felt i might be too closely attached so maybe a fairer eye might be needed.

I think potentially it might boil down to a combo of factors including lack of visibility in SEO etc. but maybe its just that i don't play enough of a character. I try to let gameplay speak for itself and do funny edits. I guess i'll take a break from it for now. See how i feel later.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Thanks for sharing. I am not looking at it as a "career maker" per se but i'm putting enough time and energy into it lately as a serious side thing to grow, then it's disheartening to not see growth even when you're really steping up your content. I have tried to upload on a regular basis, weekly or so. Make sure the contents interesting and varied. Properly edited etc.

I'm not looking to become a "Ninja" with the channel or even some of the "Top Streamers" for Fortnite come YouTube but seeing absolutely snail paced growth is demoralising tbh. Especially when you are stepping up your game. Like i said, the Twitch and Instagram stuff was there to try promote it. It's just not getting traction and i felt i might be too closely attached so maybe a fairer eye might be needed.

I think potentially it might boil down to a combo of factors including lack of visibility in SEO etc. but maybe its just that i don't play enough of a character. I try to let gameplay speak for itself and do funny edits. I guess i'll take a break from it for now. See how i feel later.
One of my most viewed videos, I deleted. I think it had around 3-4K views. I thought damn what is up with that video? Turns out it was a video with Ciri in Witcher 3 being partially naked. I had no problem deleting it cuz I don’t want my channel seen in that light. Also lost around 50 subs by deleting it.

Forgot to mention my MK 10 fatality videos got lots of views.

Point being people like graphic violence & partial nudity in YouTube.

Last edited by Derb; 07-08-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Think of it this way.

You are entering a super competitive environment that is hard to master.
I should imagine for every successful streamer 1000's fail.

I had a couple friends start up a channel. Good varied, well edited videos using proper capture equipment, and to be honest...their stuff was as good to watch as someone like JackFrags or Westie, but without the name or association to a 'popular' streamer it's an uphill struggle
Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
On my sofa

As a side note, too much Fortnite chap.....it's a polarizing game, you're either on the bandwagon or not.....and I can't stand it
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
One of my most viewed videos, I deleted. I think it had around 3-4K views. I thought damn what is up with that video? Turns out it was a video with Ciri in Witcher 3 being partially naked. I had no problem deleting it cuz I donít want my channel seen in that light. Also lost around 50 subs by deleting it.

Forgot to mention my MK 10 fatality videos got lots of views.

Point being people like graphic violence & partial nudity in YouTube.
As they say "Sex sells" and "If it bleeds, it leads" lol. Tbh, i don't want to go down that route if i can avoid it bar the necessary violence of say a game during play. Honestly, pretty bold choice to delete that video but at the end of the day, YOU are the best person to judge what you do and don't want in your content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Think of it this way.

You are entering a super competitive environment that is hard to master.
I should imagine for every successful streamer 1000's fail.

I had a couple friends start up a channel. Good varied, well edited videos using proper capture equipment, and to be honest...their stuff was as good to watch as someone like JackFrags or Westie, but without the name or association to a 'popular' streamer it's an uphill struggle
I think you're right, it's a pretty competitive environment and sometimes content isn't always what stands out. It's a factor of luck in being seen and rising to the top.

Quote:
As a side note, too much Fortnite chap.....it's a polarizing game, you're either on the bandwagon or not.....and I can't stand it
Thanks for the feedback. I will eventually move onto more varied or different content but Fortnite is something that is quite popular atm and something i'm pretty decent at and know about. So it seemed like a natural fit to go down that road initially.

I think in terms of gameplay, it's easy to understand what's going on and keep track moment to moment in "Last Man Standing". I personally hope to branch out when possible but i've not done that on YouTube much atm. I have started on my Twitch though with games like The Witness and Horizon Chase Turbo more recently featuring.
Thanks given by:
Derb (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Perhaps that's the issue. Lots of people already cover the latest trends.
Maybe branching out into something slightly more obscure is the route to go down?

Either way, good luck
Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Perhaps that's the issue. Lots of people already cover the latest trends.
Maybe branching out into something slightly more obscure is the route to go down?

Either way, good luck
Thanks.

I am trying to but i saw Fortnite as this very popular title with millions of players and potential viewers and clearly the stats do back this up but the larger market for that content and the fact i really liked playing and making videos for it, made me consider primarily doing those. I have tried branching out but even Horizon Chase Turbo which is a very indie title on Twitch. Less than 1k followers and usually less than 10 streamers. I haven't even managed to snag many views and for me, those streams were much more high energy, enthusiastic etc. than how i can sometimes be on Fortnite. Mainly because the gameplay for Horizon Chase Turbo is a lot quicker moment to moment for races and so on, whereas Fortnite matches can be 15-20 mins long vs 3 or so mins a race.

I think i'll try dual streaming Horizon Chase and Fortnite with morning and evening streams. Gives the channel a bit more variety and try maybe other titles like The Witness again. I think i am going to take a little time away from uploading to YouTube perhaps and Twitch streaming. I will probably keep uploading to my Instagram clips and whatnot and just try slowly grow out my page and if i can get some transfer of follows into subscribers and followers on YouTube and Twitch, then it might be feasible to start working on it again. I still have plenty of content from way back i can cut up to make into a video.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion