Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
6 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
The Flash: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
52 min ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
5 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Supernatural: The Complete Fourteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Default Panasonic AE2000 keeps shutting down after startup

My Panasonic PT-AE2000U just started developing a shutdown problem over the past week. Right after turning on the power button, it starts to warm up the lamp, the Panasonic logo shows up in a few seconds as usual, but then after about 4-5 seconds it shuts off and will not start up again. Often if I turn the main power toggle switch to off for a bit, and then back on, it will start up after pushing the "on" button, but most often it again shuts down after several seconds. Last night it finally started up and I ran it for a couple of hours with no problems. Tonight again it wouldn't stay on. With luck it will hold out over my next couple of weeks of scheduled basement theatre screenings, but I'd hate to have a bunch of people over for movies and then have the projector refuse to turn on.

I cleaned the filter, which didn't really look dirty, and also vacuumed the air entry/exit ports, but it didn't seem to help. Does this mean there's some auto-protection shutting down (e.g., maybe the fan is going) or that something's wrong with some circuit board? The projector is just over four years old and is on its second lamp, with less than 1600 hours on it (the first lamp lasted for 2700 hours in econo-mode).

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the AE2000 or any other model?

Since the AE4000U is now discontinued, maybe it's time to think about getting an AE7000U plus a 3-D player -- or is the new AR100U a decent 2-D replacement? The AE2000U has been a fantastic projector for the past four years, running almost every night, sometimes for six to twelve hours straight.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

It does sound like its going into some sort of protection mode bulb might be getting too hot? How many hours on the bulb? Can you verify the fan is actually working? There also should be the warning light flashing check your manual and see if that tells you anything.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

As I recall there are about 1582 hours on the lamp. I know it's under 1600 hours. The fan is running but at low-level (though it always is very low-level in eco-mode), and when I turn it on I can feel a faint breeze from the vent, but of course five seconds after the Panasonic logo shows, it shuts off completely. A week or two ago there happend to be a power outage while I was watching a movie, but I flipped the power switch to OFF right away so it wouldn't still be on when the power returned about an hour later. That still might have had something to do with the problem, but it's worked fine between than and now except for the recent shutting down several times before staying on, and now not staying on at all.

The last time it ran steadily (Monday night, after a few failed starts), the picture looked normal but I did notice a moderately unsusual-sounding noise that may have been from the fan motor (maybe a bearing going bad?). However, none of the warning lights are red or flashing for either overheating or lamp life. Maybe there's some other circuit that was damaged with the power outage, or maybe some circuit just failed after four years of steady use (about 4300 hours). There is a slight flicker when the lamp just goes on, but it's always been like that until it's warmed up to full brightness. It's just that now it won't stay on long enough to do anything. Very frustrating, as it's been a great projector so far, and I typically put on about 1000 hours or so per year (and just ordered a spare bulb a few months ago).
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

I would say that power outage damaged something, most likely the bulb. The fan needs to run for a couple minutes to cool things down, which is why you should use a UPS battery backup so there is a power supply to run for the fan.

Even though it worked OK for a while after that, it can take time for the damage to show up. The heat might have damaged something other then the bulb, but since you have a spare bulb I would try replacing the bulb with your spare first to see if that fixes the problem. If the shut down persists then obviously is something else and you will need to send it in for repair.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

Nov 2010

I have the exact same problem with my AE3000 and today could not brace anymore and took it to repair shop. The guy examined it and told me that it is related with the power circuitry and to replace it would cost around $450. It may be caused by power outage but I am really disappointed with the quality of this product and do not consider buying another Panasonic at all.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Velvet View Post
As I recall there are about 1582 hours on the lamp. I know it's under 1600 hours. The fan is running but at low-level (though it always is very low-level in eco-mode), and when I turn it on I can feel a faint breeze from the vent, but of course five seconds after the Panasonic logo shows, it shuts off completely. A week or two ago there happend to be a power outage while I was watching a movie, but I flipped the power switch to OFF right away so it wouldn't still be on when the power returned about an hour later. That still might have had something to do with the problem, but it's worked fine between than and now except for the recent shutting down several times before staying on, and now not staying on at all.

The last time it ran steadily (Monday night, after a few failed starts), the picture looked normal but I did notice a moderately unsusual-sounding noise that may have been from the fan motor (maybe a bearing going bad?). However, none of the warning lights are red or flashing for either overheating or lamp life. Maybe there's some other circuit that was damaged with the power outage, or maybe some circuit just failed after four years of steady use (about 4300 hours). There is a slight flicker when the lamp just goes on, but it's always been like that until it's warmed up to full brightness. It's just that now it won't stay on long enough to do anything. Very frustrating, as it's been a great projector so far, and I typically put on about 1000 hours or so per year (and just ordered a spare bulb a few months ago).
Sorry, I know this post is 6 years old. I'm a college student with this same projector and I'm having the same issue you described. Did you ever find a solution to your issue?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

The OP's last post anywhere on this forum was in October last year, doubt he will reply. And sorry that I am no help, good luck.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I had similar generation Panasonic projector that had major shut down issues that required Panasonic to fix. It was the 720p version of this projector. I'm trying to remember if the 1080p version had the same problem or not but the symptoms sound really familiar.

The "easiest" thing to do is to try a new bulb and see if that solves the problem but in all honesty the investment for a new bulb for this projector just doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't fix the problem. As I'm sure you're aware this unit is well past its shelf life and costs of repairs will surely outweigh the cost of a new projector.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #9

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
I had similar generation Panasonic projector that had major shut down issues that required Panasonic to fix. It was the 720p version of this projector. I'm trying to remember if the 1080p version had the same problem or not but the symptoms sound really familiar.

The "easiest" thing to do is to try a new bulb and see if that solves the problem but in all honesty the investment for a new bulb for this projector just doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't fix the problem. As I'm sure you're aware this unit is well past its shelf life and costs of repairs will surely outweigh the cost of a new projector.
Yeah, It definitely isn't worth it. I could just buy another used projector for the same price as a new bulb. I'm okay with that, thanks Everyone!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors