Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Phantom Thread (Blu-ray)
$5.99
2 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
11 hrs ago
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 01-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default The Future of Console Gaming (Playstation 5 and beyond)

So I've been pondering what will actual gaming be like in 2018 or so when PS5 eventually launches and although I'm expecting 4K blu-ray support and bigger BD disk support as standard, I'm interested to see whether 1080p gaming at a rock solid 60fps can be achieved and what they'll possibly do for 4k

I think broken tech promises are most peoples annoyances. The bullcrap "Target" specs and loom the likes of Watch Dogs promised and delivered for example and other stuff.

I'm personally looking forwards to accomplished and working VR.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Banned

Feb 2010

I know when the new consoles lunch they need bigger hard drives I say 3 or 4 tb and Sony needs to add external hard drive support to their consoles cause it's getting old changing out hard drives cause they put small ones in and they need to stop with useless updates and the ps5 needs to do everything the ps4 can out of the box with out updating it from the start
Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
I know when the new consoles lunch they need bigger hard drives I say 3 or 4 tb and Sony needs to add external hard drive support to their consoles cause it's getting old changing out hard drives cause they put small ones in and they need to stop with useless updates and the ps5 needs to do everything the ps4 can out of the box with out updating it from the start
I think not supporting external HDDs was a loss on Sony's part and a coup for Xbox considering it's 3.0 compatible.

Also think having both internal and external gives a great balance and I actually want to see the ability to have video and music like PS3 did make a return. I miss not being able to put my own tunes on or video.

I recently upgraded to 2tb and hopefully will last the rest of the gen.

Proper SSD support however is what I'm hoping for. Kind of disgusted the consoles don't take proper advantage of the tech.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

There's no way a ps5 launches in 2018 first off. That's just... No. Developers are BARELY starting to develop to take advantage of the new hard ware. Most studios are only just getting around to releasing their first current gen games. They aren't going to start developing games for a new console right now, which is what they'd have to do for triple A gaming at launch. It's going till 2020. At least. The consoles are only just starting to sell too. This entire generation would be pointless, and chopped off at the legs if PS5 launched that early.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Expert Member

Sep 2010

Wow, I didn't realize PS4 has no external HD support. With each generation being a step forward, but also a step backwards, as far as how the systems access the games, it's becoming more limiting. You have to put the WHOLE game on your PS4's HD to play it. At roughly 25GB a pop average, you're going to use up your 500GB HD with 20 games, and less with all the system updates, game updates & add-ons, and music/video/apps if you use it for that stuff. Games are getting too big and complex to play off the disc now, so it's getting more and more like PC gaming.
I also hope the next gen. doesn't hit for at least 3 or 4 years. I just dove into the current gen myself.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
There's no way a ps5 launches in 2018 first off. That's just... No. Developers are BARELY starting to develop to take advantage of the new hard ware. Most studios are only just getting around to releasing their first current gen games. They aren't going to start developing games for a new console right now, which is what they'd have to do for triple A gaming at launch. It's going till 2020. At least. The consoles are only just starting to sell too. This entire generation would be pointless, and chopped off at the legs if PS5 launched that early.
If it launches in 2018 it's be approximately 5 years and back to older launch gen cycles BUT seems we might be moving away from that IF they do that with this next coming gen too and start to set a new trend since PS3/360 was only the first seeming gen to go on for that long and certain factors contributed to that fact.

2018-2020 is a real possibility Imo. As for "Just starting to sell" point, I gotta be looking at different sales figures to you for the likes of the PS4 cause it is killing it in sales out there. Almost 40 million sold coming up soon enough and certainly this year since launching in late 2013 which is amazing for less than 3 years on market. As for some devs just releasing first games on the consoles. I'd say all the major devs have had a game out so far and they're who push the majority of games for new consoles too.

No doubt works being done behind the scenes for a next gen set up.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
gabriellecollins

Default I think the PS5 is still quite a ways off

Iím predicting it will stay largely the same, but with a longer gap between new consoles.
The PS4 was released in 2013, 7 years after the PS3.
Weíre now 5 years into the consoleís life cycle, and it still seems to be going strong.
This is thanks, in part, to the PS4 Pro, but I also think that graphics rendering technology is not progressing at as quick of a rate as it was in the early-to-mid 2000ís.

Last edited by gabriellecollins; 04-19-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: title
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion