Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
6 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$37.99
4 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Supernatural: The Complete Fourteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
Blinded by the Light (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you prefer buying physical or digital games for consoles?
I prefer buying physical games for consoles. 50 65.79%
I prefer buying digital games for consoles. 14 18.42%
I don't have a preference and just buy whichever is cheaper. 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
No company has any reason to do that. It wouldn't save them any money and the backlash would be extreme. Comparing a theoretical kill switch that could make all physical games unreadable with the way that digital games are already removed from stores is ridiculous.

I can continue to play all my physical games on my PS1, PS2, PS3, SNES, Genesis, N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, GBA, DS, Gamecube, and Wii or on any other discontinued console and I have no reason to think that my physical PS4 games will ever stop functioning. I can also continue to buy out-of-print games for those discontinued consoles (and frequently do).

But the short history of digital games has shown that digital games can disappear at any time (and many already have). The rights issues and costs to the publishers and digital providers don't effect used physical games in the slightest.
Thatís good.

You have the physical option there for you to play retro.

Only cost that hurts Pubs is recurring revenue. So in that regard, I am glad physical hasnít vanished.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #42
Special Member

Aug 2015

All games on PS4 and XBox One read off the hard drive. The disc is just to install the game, and the prove you still own it.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #43
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
You have the physical option there for you to play retro.
I don't care about retro games; I care about good games. Many of them are on old consoles and many of them are on new consoles but a good game is a good game regardless of age or console.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-01-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014

It wouldn't matter really but the way digital is handled makes me a pure physical kinda guy. A lot of companies waive your basic consumer rights with digital, you don't really physically own anything with digital, usually digital is way more expensive than a physical copy and you can't trade a digital copy in like you can a physical. Plus for me my internet is capped and every game nowadays seems to be around 100 gig plus with the game plus patches so I'd rarely be able to purchase anything.

I just see zero benefit to digital over physical.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #45
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I don't care about retro games; I care about good games. Many of them are on old consoles and many of them are on new consoles but a good game is a good game regardless of age or console.
If you care, Iíd start fighting your cause.

Optical will become past unless you & an army you get will try to stop this.

Good news, you have 7 years to get your Army.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #46
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
If you care, I’d start fighting your cause.

Optical will become past unless you & an army you get will try to stop this.

Good news, you have 7 years to get your Army.
I am fighting my cause by only buying and playing games (and movies and TV shows and music) on physical media. I am also recruiting for this army you speak of by telling others to do the same.

You are fighting against us by telling everyone that we should switch to digital games because physical media is dead.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-04-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #47
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I am fighting my cause by only buying and playing games (and movies and TV shows and music) on physical media. I am also recruiting for this army you speak of by telling others to do the same.

You are fighting against us by telling everyone that we should switch to digital games because physical media is dead.
Sure, Sarcastically.

It honestly doesnít matter where I sit on the fence. If history is any indication of mass media.. CDs, DVDs... Well the logical next step is gaming. Oh & all these companies fought against transitions like music & movies.

With gaming it will take Google to literally close their doors. They are pushing this Streaming service & see it as the future. Thatís not a promising sign.

For the record, I prefer physical. At the same time Iím preparing for the digital road ahead. You & everyone have every right to fight this. I say go for it. Speak with your wallets. Only buy from physical local stores. Pretend the internet doesnít exist. If the masses can gather around these basic 3 principles, physical will stay.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #48
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
It honestly doesn’t matter where I sit on the fence. If history is any indication of mass media.. CDs, DVDs... Well the logical next step is gaming. Oh & all these companies fought against transitions like music & movies.
CDs and DVDs still sell millions of copies and have thousands of new releases every year.

Quote:
With gaming it will take Google to literally close their doors. They are pushing this Streaming service & see it as the future. That’s not a promising sign.
If the big corporations had their way then all media would be pay per view. Each person would have to pay every single time they wanted to watch or play anything. It doesn't matter what the companies want, it matters what the customers will pay for. As long as people are buying physical media, the companies will continue to make physical media.

Quote:
For the record, I prefer physical.At the same time I’m preparing for the digital road ahead.
Your "preference" is irrelevant if you're supporting the other side. What does that even mean, "preparing for the digital road ahead"? Let's say you're right and at some point in the future all games are only available digitally. How will the fact that I haven't bought digital up to that point negatively affect my ability to play digital games?

Quote:
You & everyone have every right to fight this. I say go for it. Speak with your wallets. Only buy from physical local stores. Pretend the internet doesn’t exist.
Physical media is fantastic because it can always be redistributed without needing approval from any company. But it needs an outlet to be redistribted and local stores will never work well for that. The internet is a fantastic tool for redistributing physical media.

Right now eBay and Amazon Marketplace are the best resources for redistribution. But unlike Steam and PSN nothing bought or sold on eBay or Amazon Marketplace relies on the publishers or the store owners to function and everything can be resold through any other outlet if eBay and Amazon put additional restrictions.

Quote:
If the masses can gather around these basic 3 principles, physical will stay.
There will continue to be millions of people who prefer physical games (and actually buy them unlike you). We will never again be the majority but will remain a sizeable market.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-05-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
CDs and DVDs still sell millions of copies and have thousands of new releases every year.

If the big corporations had their way then all media would be pay per view. Each person would have to pay every single time they wanted to watch or play anything. It doesn't matter what the companies want, it matters what the customers will pay for. As long as people are buying physical media, the companies will continue to make physical media.

Your "preference" is irrelevant if you're supporting the other side. What does that even mean, "preparing for the digital road ahead"? Let's say you're right and at some point in the future all games are only available digitally. How will the fact that I haven't bought digital up to that point negatively affect my ability to play digital games?

Physical media is fantastic because it can always be redistributed without needing approval from any company. But it needs an outlet to be redistribted and local stores will never work well for that. The internet is a fantastic tool for redistributing physical media.

Right now eBay and Amazon Marketplace are the best resources for redistribution. But unlike Steam and PSN nothing bought or sold on eBay or Amazon Marketplace relies on the publishers or the store owners to function and everything can be resold through any other outlet if eBay and Amazon put additional restrictions.

There will continue to be millions of people who prefer physical games (and actually buy them unlike you). We will never again be the majority but will remain a sizeable market.
Well, Iíll leave you to it.

This here post is a 10 page argument.

However Iíll answer one of your questions. Youíll be able to accept change when it happens in a more constructive form.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #50
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
You’ll be able to accept change when it happens in a more constructive form.
When people accept and support negative changes because they think they are inevitable, that support is exactly what makes them inevitable. I will never support a negative change unless there is absolutely no other options.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-08-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #51

Dec 2018
USA

It's much more convenient to buy digital copies. Although if I really like a particular game (Witcher, for instance) I buy a physical version.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #52
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

You can disagree with everything shown in this video!

That said, it is worth giving it your full attention. Linus is no joke, & you may learn a few things along the way.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #53
Special Member

Apr 2017

Shadow is $35 per month just for the system. All you're paying for is streaming access to a high-powered Windows 10 PC. You have to buy all the games separately just like you would on your own PC. That's the equivalent of spending $420 per year just on PC components. It's obviously a premium service and is not trying to compete with console gaming.

Additionally Shadow is just an example of streaming replacing downloads, just like what has happened with movies. Physical will remain separate.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 12-11-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #54
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
When people accept and support negative changes because they think they are inevitable, that support is exactly what makes them inevitable. I will never support a negative change unless there is absolutely no other options.
People just act in their own best interest. If you want to solve the free rider problem, you need a better strategy than condescension.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
You can disagree with everything shown in this video!

That said, it is worth giving it your full attention. Linus is no joke, & you may learn a few things along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQ4bXNdEQI
Linus is a clown.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #56
Banned

Apr 2011
NY

I enjoy physical games - there's nothing like chasing a person through the woods, with my gun ready for the kill.

Video games.... too digital.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #57
Banned

Jan 2018
United States

I'm not a big gamer, but I like some online games, for example Angry Birds games are my favorite
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #58

Dec 2018

I prefer them on my HDD for storage. How it gets there matters less, but have generally purchased digital - though for a few years now only DRM free from GOG. Definitely don't trust these corporations with anything.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:13 AM   #59

Jan 2019

I used to be obsessed with owning physical games. I had thousands of games spanning 24 different consoles, but then I noticed that I wasn't playing them nearly enough and I was playing just a small handful of titles and ignoring the rest because I didn't want to get up and seek out the game I wanted to play next. So basically laziness. Some years back I sold them all and have since purchased an SNES Classic and put almost every game I've ever loved on it and I find myself playing more games than ever before. These days I'm like 70% digital and 30% physical, but I'll shoot for whatever is cheapest.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #60
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilmAficionado View Post
I used to be obsessed with owning physical games. I had thousands of games spanning 24 different consoles, but then I noticed that I wasn't playing them nearly enough and I was playing just a small handful of titles and ignoring the rest because I didn't want to get up and seek out the game I wanted to play next. So basically laziness. Some years back I sold them all and have since purchased an SNES Classic and put almost every game I've ever loved on it and I find myself playing more games than ever before. These days I'm like 70% digital and 30% physical, but I'll shoot for whatever is cheapest.
So your solution was to sell all your physical games and then pirate them?

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 01-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion