Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Phantom Thread (Blu-ray)
$5.99
2 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
10 hrs ago
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #1

Mar 2018
Default Who do you consider "true gamers"?

I've actually heard some people say that, people who just play mobile games aren't true gamers.

I'm not sure, exactly, what these people were expecting. Were they expecting console or PC gamers instead? People who spend tons of hours playing games?

I consider a true gamer anyone who plays video games with some level of regularity. It doesn't matter the system. It could be a flash game, moble game, console, PC, virtual reality, etc. If they play some type of interactive entertainment on a semi-regular basis, that is certainly enough to qualify as being a 'true gamer,' in my eyes. Now if years pass without gaming, obviously they wouldn't be a true gamer than, since it would be something rare for them.

Who do you consider "true gamers"?
Thanks given by:
Hatter (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

If itís a game & itís on a screen itís a video game. If someone is partaking in said activity, they are a gamer.

I call my dad a gamer because he plays Sudoku on his PC. He doesnít like video games so he doesnít like my observation.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

While not necessarily an insult, but many wouldn't like to be called gamers just because they enjoy playing something on their phones. not sure why some treat it like a badge of honor
Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Playing dedicated AAA games on mobile is minging.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Anyone who tries to define "true gamer" needs to step away from the controller. And probably take a shower and meet some friends. Lol
Thanks given by:
BlueberryWaffles (07-27-2019), octagon (06-11-2019), The_Donster (07-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
While not necessarily an insult, but many wouldn't like to be called gamers just because they enjoy playing something on their phones. not sure why some treat it like a badge of honor
If you called yourself a gamer back in the 80ís people would just outright call you a loser & everyone around them would agree. Fast forward to today & itís more acceptable to be called a gamer.

A true gamer is most likely referring to someone who plays PC or Console & comparing that experience to something smaller in scale like Mobile.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Banned

Jul 2019

A true gamer is a gamer who likes to play, delving into the essence of the plot of any game. This is a conscious gamer. I have one friend who was playing a video game FromSoftware, game developers Dark Souls, Sekiro: Shadow Die Twice, mindlessly and not wanting to delve into what is happening. He streamed, shot a series of passing the game and did not understand why he did not succeed. A cool gamer is not one who does everything aby as if it were, but the one who likes it and thinks that it is fun, and does not see in it only the commercial side
Old 07-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

A "true" gamer imo is one who plays regularly and many different genres of games and can be on a single or multiple platforms. I think people playing Candy Crush on their mobiles or similar are "Casual Gamers" but in the loosest sense of the definition a gamer can have.

Gaming is a huge market with millions of players and type of games. To be blinkered and just focus on traditional "Gamers" is a bit "Elitist" but at the end of the day, "Casuals" might not even actually consider themselves "Gamers" tbh and feel insulted by being associated. Weird i know. But there's still a stigma attached to "True Gamers" and "True Gaming".
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

I donít. This is akin to those who feel they are a ďrealĒ fan of Ďyou name ití because they knew about, bought or saw day 1
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Expert Member

Nov 2012
WA, USA

I think the 'true gamer' thing applies more specifically for competitive skill based FPS/Fighting games, people who speedrun or people who go for platinum trophies. Those games still only amount for a fraction of the types of games out there.

I play to enjoy and never feel the need to 100% if I'm not still having fun and never feel like less of a gamer if I play on easy.

However, I can still enjoy the challenge of playing a game like Celeste, which the creator states was crafted to be played on its intended difficultly.

I also love games that are not really games in the traditional sense. My favorite game a couple years ago was David O'Reilly's "Everything" which was more of an experiment than a game.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2015

I think what some people think of as "true gamers" are what I would call hardcore gamers. To me a gamer is anyone who plays video games. I have no problem with it being a large tent because I think video games are great and everyone should get at least occasional enjoyment out of them.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

Feb 2007

Lol being a og guru gamer (I consider myself og gamer because I’ve been gaming since the pong system, yeah I’m old lol) I consider people in 2019 to be broken down into many sub genres of “gamers” almost as much as the sub genres of metal music. So there’s your hardcore gamers, dedicated franchise gamer, fortnite players or “scene gamers”, mobile gamers, casual gamers, guru gamers, and so on. True gamers is one I’ve never heard of but I think it’s the same as your guru/hardcore gamers. I’ve played every console out there including ones most haven’t heard of and played games most haven’t heard of. We now have guys like metal Jesus on YouTube the call these sleeper hits “hidden gems”. Anyway I think a true gamer is someone who plays everything and can name drop/reference games at the drop of a hat. Quotes like “What is a man!?” Or “all your base are belong to us” alongside the current ones like he infamous “BOY!”
In a nut shell in 2019 who isn’t a gamer? While mobile players are still looked at as nongamers and I’d have to some what agree, most of those become pc or console gamers.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Anyone who wants to call themselves a "true gamer" is welcome to do so as far as I am concerned. I am allowed to define myself, but I really must resist attempting to define others.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #14

Aug 2019
Sydney

A gamer is not a definition, but a state of mind. If you wholeheartedly love a game or games, then you are a gamer. It's great. As one wise man said: If time is spent with pleasure, then it is not wasted.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

For me, a “true gamer” is someone who plays games that are more involved than simply tapping on tiles or images. Someone who plays narrative based games and can get invested in the characters, or play games that require an improving development of motor skills to succeed (like Rocket League) are true gamers. People who stick to Minesweeper or Candy Crush or Sudoku or... well, you get the idea... are “casual gamers” in my perspective.

DISCLAIMER: There is nothing demeaning about either of the labels as I described them above. I don’t look down on “casual gamers” and I don’t consider “true gamers” to be superior in any way. In the end, so long as the gamer is enjoying themselves, that is all that matters.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (08-09-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

I had to ponder over this general question for a long time. The question can be considered a rhetorical or a philosophical question about anything. The focus just happens to be about "video game" in the OP.

Eg.
Who do you consider a true human?
Who do you consider a true woman?
Who do you consider a true (insert country) citizen?
Who do you consider a true music lover?
Who do you consider a true movie lover?
etc.

And I have formulated my universal answer as thus:

1. One who enjoys (i.e. participates in) the activity/association with regular frequency.
2. One who contributes positively to the betterment of the activity/association.

So a video game player who plays regularly and empowers others with positive attitude, fair play, and recognition, I would consider a true gamer.

A player who SWATs others are contrary to all of the above therefore I would consider them a true a-hole.

Last edited by GRD43L; 08-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion