Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
15 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Taken 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

Mar 2018
Default 8 out of 10 video game sales are for digital downloads now

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/19/...onsole-future/

Sales of physical media have been steadily declining for the past decade, according to Statista. In 2009, 80 percent of all game sales came from physical discs and cartridges, and just 20 percent was digital. By 2017, those figures had swapped, with 80 percent of the industry's software sales stemming from digital transactions. Even Nintendo, a company that's been historically reluctant to add online features to its games and consoles, has finally embraced modernity with the Switch, allowing cross-platform play, adding online features and building out its digital store.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Special Member

Apr 2017

That includes all PC game sales (which are more than 99% digital). Console games are still mostly physical. It varies from quarter to quarter but during Sony's fiscal year 2018 only 37% of their game sales were digital:

The above image comes from page 8 of the following document: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/lib...supplement.pdf

The article talks about the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox One SAD as if they equally represent Sony and Microsoft's vision for the future. The Xbox One SAD is just a budget variation of their existing console. I have absolutely no doubt that the next generation Xbox will include an optical disc drive just like the PlayStation 5.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 09-16-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Thanks given by:
JEDGAR1000 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Jun 2019
Belgium

I really don't understand why someone would buy a game from the PS store.
It's always a lot more expensive. The difference here in Belgium is sometimes 10 to 15 Ä as opposed to a regular store.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

^^Totally! Xbox guy here, but a game has to be dirt cheap in the Microsoft Store for me to grab digital. Iíve done with some of the Lego games, but most of the time the prices arenít competitive. So I look for sales on games I want to play online and have the stores price match with physical copies.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2012
Montana

I've kind of gone all in on Switch and 3DS collecting because I figure this is gonna be the end of the line. Whatever platform I get in the future I'll probably go digital, and just curate a collection of NES through Switch.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Itís tipping digital.

Was this year (1 month) for game sales to favour digital for PS4.

There is still plenty of time for Physical to be dominate in the market, but that will change inevitably.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Dec 2016

I went digital since most games will be played co-op with my son and you save money (sharing between two consoles) and shelf space not having to buy two discs. The downside being that I won't be able to play them on future consoles if there's no BC & the original console online system is shut down, but I rarely play old games. Have a hard enough time keeping up with current gen console games.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

I only buy digital if the price is in my price range from a really good sale and is a title that canít easily be bought physically.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2008
United States of Love

Games perform and play better without the disc anyway... I 100% prefer physical media in movies and music, but I don't really mind digital only for games.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:41 AM   #10
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiTrentKenobi View Post
Games perform and play better without the disc anyway...
All PS4 and Xbox One discs are installed to the hard drive. The disc versions therefore play exactly the same as downloaded versions.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:18 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiTrentKenobi View Post
Games perform and play better without the disc anyway... I 100% prefer physical media in movies and music, but I don't really mind digital only for games.
There are rare cases where Digital is better like Mana Khemiaís PSP port. Though the physical version has an optional Install option which makes it run pretty close to the Digital version. But just running the game as is on physical was pretty bad with lots of loading since it is a port of a PS2 game onto a handheld.

But I am always going to prefer physical.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
All PS4 and Xbox One discs are installed to the hard drive. The disc versions therefore play exactly the same as downloaded versions.
Basically.

The PS4 has to run an authentication check each time you boot up the game. So even though the file is transferred, the actual key that gives you access isnít transferred to the HDD/SSD.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

All in on digital here. Sorry but the convenience is just too hard for me to ignore. Plus I like not having to worry anymore about keeping up with and finding room for discs/game cases. I have an 8 TB external hard drive for storage and for my massive library, I still have about 5 TB remaining.
Thanks given by:
-RONIN- (10-12-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #14

Jul 2014
Katy, Tx

I buy Digital when either it's ridiculously cheap or a game that I don't really care about(one I'll finish quickly and forget about)...same thing with movies. If I want to own it, I'm sorry I'll buy it from now until the day I die. I can never go all in with digital, too many issues, too much I've seen. I can trust a disc in my hand.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
I buy Digital when either it's ridiculously cheap or a game that I don't really care about(one I'll finish quickly and forget about)...same thing with movies. If I want to own it, I'm sorry I'll buy it from now until the day I die. I can never go all in with digital, too many issues, too much I've seen. I can trust a disc in my hand.
Wouldn't those be better on physical as well? You can sell the disc when you're done with it.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 09-20-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
That includes all PC game sales (which are more than 99% digital). Console games are still mostly physical. It varies from quarter to quarter but during Sony's fiscal year 2018 only 37% of their game sales were digital:

The above image comes from page 8 of the following document: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/lib...supplement.pdf

The article talks about the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox One SAD as if they equally represent Sony and Microsoft's vision for the future. The Xbox One SAD is just a budget variation of their existing console. I have absolutely no doubt that the next generation Xbox will include an optical disc drive just like the PlayStation 5.
I feel like this article is pretty much trash based on what you pointed out. I'm all up for having a physical vs digital discussion but they feel they aren't presenting things properly here to do so.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

As a PC gamer I went all digital like 10+ years ago. Surprised how long it's taking consoles to catch up.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #18
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
As a PC gamer I went all digital like 10+ years ago. Surprised how long it's taking consoles to catch up.
I used to play on PC all the time in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s but switched entirely over to console gaming when PC went all digital. I still play my old PC games but I will not play anything that has online DRM or is unavailable physically.

At this point the main advantage that consoles have over PC is physical media. If they drop physical media they'll lose a lot of their customers to PC.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 10-03-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I love digital as long as there's no quality difference. Las thing I want is a bunch of plastic and cardboard on shelves. I hate that I have to buy movies on disc because streaming sucks. Flac or high quality MP3s though? The same exact game files? Gimmie gimmie gimmie!

DRM is indeed annoying but many games are DRM free and the ones that aren't are widely available without it because PC is an open platform. It doesn't really bother me much unless it's always online like Diablo 3, which I did not support.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

Nov 2014

I also transitioned to mostly digital, just don’t have the time or space to maintain my physical library. As my systems fail I’m happy to see retro consoles that play physical for the games I enjoy that were never released again. It makes me worry a bit about digital libraries. There’s always the paranoid argument that platform holders can pull titles (which is in the TOS and happens occasionally based on licenses), and of course when online stores close you loose access to your licenses and possibly your games (depending on how you back up your stuff and how DRM was implemented). I suppose I should just stop worrying about it and enjoy what I’ve got, its just a modern version of the same problem.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion