Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bad Boys I & II 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
10 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42

The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #41

May 2014
Florida

Watched it tonight. Not the best Blu-ray I’ve ever seen but I have no regrets about purchasing it for my library.

As far as the movie itself. 4/4 stars. Brilliant. Actually my first Criterion disc I have bought. If you’re on the fence I highly recommend it. Very entertaining.
Thanks given by:
donidarko (Yesterday)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2015
Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita70 View Post
Actually my first Criterion disc I have bought.
Welcome to the club.
Twilight Time Unique Titles

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.
Thanks given by:
nikita70 (05-25-2018)
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #43
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
I never saw the film theatrically back in 1980, but while the German caps certainly aren't perfect, the Criterion images all looked 'stepped on' to me. They look like they come from a source a generation away from the German one in terms of a more pronounced granularity and over contrasted look which results in some crush to the shadows.

The German may look overly bright (there are some highlights that are blowing out here and there), and somewhat washed out, but I think I prefer it to the heavy handed look of the Criterion.

I'm not a "grain hater". My goal is simply to get something that I think/feel is natural and organic to the original theatrical exhibition. I'm thinking I can get closer by using the German disc and adjusting the gamma of my display, than I can by any tinkering I can do to get away from the black crush, overly pronounced grain, and teal leaning palate on the Criterion.
Ancient post, but... I just got this in the sale and the Criterion looks wonderful. It looks more grainy because they did a more modern scan and got more information off the source, which includes grain. It looks blue/teal by comparison because the old master had a red push like most DVDs. The Criterion looks stunning and film-like. Highly recommended.

I liked the movie quite a lot. Could have been a bit more in the mood for it, but still was very entertained. Matthau was a treasure.
Thanks given by:
donidarko (Yesterday), donzo29 (Yesterday), RCRochester (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Ancient post, but... I just got this in the sale and the Criterion looks wonderful. It looks more grainy because they did a more modern scan and got more information off the source, which includes grain. It looks blue/teal by comparison because the old master had a red push like most DVDs. The Criterion looks stunning and film-like. Highly recommended.

I liked the movie quite a lot. Could have been a bit more in the mood for it, but still was very entertained. Matthau was a treasure.
People also have to be aware that many films of this era (late 70s-early 80s) all have that ugly, really grainy look to them due to the film stocks and lighting used at the time.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America