Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
The Bourne Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Ronin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.52
16 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$123.62

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.21

Firefly: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.24
5 hrs ago
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Blu-ray)
$16.19
5 hrs ago
Superman I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$86.52

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #81
Blu-ray Baron

May 2008

Forgot another great film to nominate - ZULU.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #82
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Hey, Robert - Snow White premiered in December of 1937, not in 1939. Nine years after Steamboat Willie, not eleven.

That would mean Bambi went into production in 1933, the same year Walt released The Three Little Pigs. Obviously, Bambi was not in production for nine years, and in fact, Walt did not even own the rights to Bambi in 1933. The rights were purchased in 1933 by Sidney Franklin, who approached Walt with the project in 1935. For this reason, Bambi was in extremely early development starting in 1935, but serious work did not begin until the Franklin/Hyperion collaboration starting in 1936. At this time, Bambi was planned to be the follow-up to Snow White. Because of the story problems, Bambi stalled and in all actuality, no animation of consequence was produced for Bambi until 1939.
Thanks, it's a wonder how one little mistake with the keys can change a year, I did mean 9 years later. Thank you for pointing that out.

It's interesting in the original press materials for Dumbo, it mentions (and I did read it again) that Bambi had taken 9 years to develop. But there are often mistakes in promotional materials, and I try to double check all material but could not find any information anywhere else on that. Would you mind if I changed what I wrote and put in your paragraph? I could not find my Disney books but went to storage and you are indeed correct.

Would you mind if I changed what I wrote and put in that fact from your notation here? Really, thanks for the correction. It is really nice when someone takes the time to help when an error is made so things go on record in the column as being correct.

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 10-18-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #83
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolinski View Post
Forgot another great film to nominate - ZULU.
I will absolutely cover (the great) Zulu when they finally release it here in the USA. The column is all U.S. releases for now.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #84
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
Thanks, it's a wonder how one little mistake with the keys can change a year, I did mean 9 years later. Thank you for pointing that out.

It's interesting in the original press materials for Dumbo, it mentions (and I did read it again) that Bambi had taken 9 years to develop. But there are often mistakes in promotional materials, and I try to double check all material but could not find any information anywhere else on that. Would you mind if I changed what I wrote and put in your paragraph? I could not find my Disney books but went to storage and you are indeed correct.

Would you mind if I changed what I wrote and put in that fact from your notation here? Really, thanks for the correction. It is really nice when someone takes the time to help when an error is made so things go on record in the column as being correct.
Of course I wouldn't mind, Robert. Happy to help. And I completely understand about incorrect facts in press kits - I've been burned myself relying on Disney press kit materials for coments I made regarding Fantasia about ten years ago, so I completely understand.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 10-18-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #85

Nov 2007

Would love to see you do one on The Rocketeer, when it comes out this December.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #86
Blu-ray Baron

May 2008

How about doing some "classic" SciFi - The Day the Earth Stood Still or Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

I remember seeing Ben-Hur when it was released. I was 11. I actually saw the movie twice.. with my parents and then again with a few friends. I also watched The Ten Commandments when it was released, but don't remember much. I was 7 or 8 at the time.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #88
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Just checking in, Robert. I noticed you corrected the nine year factoid at the beginning of your article, but this is still present tonight:

"While Bambi took nine years to make because of the technical scenes and special effects, Dumbo would take less than two years."

Just not true. Walt didn't even own the rights to Bambi in 1933, he wasn't approached by Franklin until 1935. Story and development stretched from 1936 into 1939, when a twenty minute story reel was screened for the studio employees to gauge their feedback. They took a lot of time making Bambi, but not nine years, and not because of the "technical scenes and special effects". Bambi slowly developed in years of story conferences and pre-production art and animal and nature studies. Meanwhile artists left to work on more concrete films, returning to Bambi after other assignments.

If you need me to cite chapter and verse from Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston's history of the production, Walt Disney's Bambi: The Story and the Film, I'll be happy to do so.

Anyhoo, have a good one.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #89
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Just checking in, Robert. I noticed you corrected the nine year factoid at the beginning of your article, but this is still present tonight:

"While Bambi took nine years to make because of the technical scenes and special effects, Dumbo would take less than two years."

Just not true. Walt didn't even own the rights to Bambi in 1933, he wasn't approached by Franklin until 1935. Story and development stretched from 1936 into 1939, when a twenty minute story reel was screened for the studio employees to gauge their feedback. They took a lot of time making Bambi, but not nine years, and not because of the "technical scenes and special effects". Bambi slowly developed in years of story conferences and pre-production art and animal and nature studies. Meanwhile artists left to work on more concrete films, returning to Bambi after other assignments.

If you need me to cite chapter and verse from Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston's history of the production, Walt Disney's Bambi: The Story and the Film, I'll be happy to do so.

Anyhoo, have a good one.
Ernest, thanks, corrected :-)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #90
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
How about doing some "classic" SciFi - The Day the Earth Stood Still or Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
I am hoping to do The Day the Earth stood Still eventually, a Forbidden Planet column is coming up before the year's end, and I am hoping to get Psycho done by Halloween, but this week as I am concentrating on trying to get Jurassic Park done before release next Tuesday. I did cover Damnation Alley and Crack in the World so far, and I also plan 2001 A Space Odyssey soon as well. I'd love to cover the original Godzilla as well.

I really wish Paramount would release War of the World and When Worlds Collide, and Universal would do some monster/sci-fi blu-rays (Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Tarantula, Incredible Shrinking Man, ect).
Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #91
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devion27 View Post
Would love to see you do one on The Rocketeer, when it comes out this December.
I'll see if I have anything in my collection:-)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #92
Blu-ray Baron

May 2008

Quote:
I am hoping to do The Day the Earth stood Still eventually, a Forbidden Planet column is coming up before the year's end, and I am hoping to get Psycho done by Halloween, but this week as I am concentrating on trying to get Jurassic Park done before release next Tuesday. I did cover Damnation Alley and Crack in the World so far, and I also plan 2001 A Space Odyssey soon as well. I'd love to cover the original Godzilla as well.

I really wish Paramount would release War of the World and When Worlds Collide, and Universal would do some monster/sci-fi blu-rays (Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Tarantula, Incredible Shrinking Man, ect).
Thanks! I'm soooo excited; looking forward to your columns on Forbidden Planet and Psycho! Also, I agree with you; where is all of the great classic SciFi/Horror on BD (the ones you mentioned and also Destination Moon; The Thing from Another World; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Creature from the Black Lagoon; Them; one of my personal favorites - The 27th Day; The original The Fly; The Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Journey to the Center of the Earth; On the Beach (original); The World, the Flesh and the Devil; and, Failsafe)

Last edited by rkolinski; 10-19-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: forgot one film
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #93

Jun 2009
Big Island, Hawaii

Hi, Robert. I vividly remember seeing THE MISFITS, 1962's MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, DR. ZHIVAGO and HAWAII all during their initial release in the 1960's. I was pretty young at the time (born in 1951), and they made big impressions on me -- none more than MUTINY. FYI, I sent you some materials on that production and hope you will find them helpful for your column.

As for another title I'd love to see you cover: ONE-EYED JACKS. The blu-ray is scheduled to come out next month, and I'm hoping it is a decent transfer. Being in the public domain, it's DVD history (multiple releases) has not been good. But the film was brilliant, with a juicy back-story that would make for a great SILVER SCREEN column.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #94
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeeker View Post
Hi, Robert. I vividly remember seeing THE MISFITS, 1962's MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, DR. ZHIVAGO and HAWAII all during their initial release in the 1960's. I was pretty young at the time (born in 1951), and they made big impressions on me -- none more than MUTINY. FYI, I sent you some materials on that production and hope you will find them helpful for your column.

As for another title I'd love to see you cover: ONE-EYED JACKS. The blu-ray is scheduled to come out next month, and I'm hoping it is a decent transfer. Being in the public domain, it's DVD history (multiple releases) has not been good. But the film was brilliant, with a juicy back-story that would make for a great SILVER SCREEN column.
I would like to cover One-eyes Jacks but the material I do have on the film is not nearly enough to make a column. I do have word out with the collector's circle, and they usually come around with something from my lists so if I do get anything, I will cover it, it's a great film!

Thank you for the materials on Mutiny. That's going to be a great column I hope, there are many fans of this film on the site. Doctor Zhivago is also a future title to be covered. I try to cover the new releases first and then do the catalog, movies that came out before I started writing here. And I would love to see Hawaii on Blu-ray, in full stereo this time, not just the overture like the DVD.

It must have been great to see those films on the big screen. I have a 159" screen so I am getting as close to the theatrical as possible in my home. But it still isn't the same as the golden days, when people wore suits to a beautifully decorated theater and a movie was a night on the town with reserved seating on big Cinemascope screens!

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 10-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #95
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Thanks! I'm soooo excited; looking forward to your columns on Forbidden Planet and Psycho! Also, I agree with you; where is all of the great classic SciFi/Horror on BD (the ones you mentioned and also Destination Moon; The Thing from Another World; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Creature from the Black Lagoon; Them; one of my personal favorites - The 27th Day; The original The Fly; The Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Journey to the Center of the Earth; On the Beach (original); The World, the Flesh and the Devil; and, Failsafe)
Oh how I would love to see The Fly come out on Blu-ray! And why isn't Disney going back to anything but their animated catalog? They have Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues, Old Yeller, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Black Hole, The Shaggy Dog, The Happiest Millionaire, the original Witch Mountain (could do a double feature with the sequel),to name a few.

I would also love to see Treasure Planet from Disney, one of my favorites that didn't do well at the boxoffice and I'll never understand why. Great story, characters and animation!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #96

Jun 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
Default The "Golden Days"

Quote:

It must have been great to see those films on the big screen. I have a 159" screen so I am getting as close to the theatrical as possible in my home. But it still isn't the same as the golden days, when people wore suits to a beautifully decorated theater and a movie was a night on the town with reserved seating on big Cinemascope screens!
Yeah, those 1960's "road show" releases were quite the experience. I still have the original program and promotional book that were provided at the MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY showing in Wichita, Kansas where I grew up. Entrance music, Intermission music -- it was an entire evening's affair. Finally, after 25 years of wanting one, I've been able to build my own home theater with a full 10-foot wide curved cinemascope (2.35:1) screen. Lovin' every minute of it!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #97
Special Member

Dec 2009
Las Vegas, NV

I loved the retrospect that was posted on The Rocky Horror Picture Show yesterday morning.

However, at the end of the article, it mentions Shock Treatment is a prequel which is false. In theory, it's a sequel as Brad and Janet are married (and are failing at it). However, the creative team would disagree with that term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Shock Treatment producer, John Goldstone
It's not a sequel... it's not a prequel... it's an equal. The real relationship between 'Rocky Horror' and 'Shock Treatment' is the consistent involvement of the same creative team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard O'Brien
We always knew there would be a followup to 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show.' There's always a 'Son of...', a 'Bride of...' and a 'Son of...Rides Again.' It's not a sequel, it's not a prequel, it's an equal.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #98

Aug 2010
Chicago

Thanks for the Rocky Horror Picture Show piece. This movie wasn't entirely my cup of tea, but it brough back vivid memories of my girlfriend in college taking me to the movie in 1978 in Boston. I sat in stunned silence as there was as much to watch off-screen as on. A truly unforgetable cultural phenomenon, and one not soon to be repeated, I wager.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #99

Feb 2010

Just sticking my .02 in about Shock Treatment... It's not a prequel. Brad and Janet are married in Shock Treatment, so technically those events take place AFTER Rocky Horror, I guess? I like to call it a "semi-sequel" because it has some of the same characters but the plots of the two movies are almost entirely disconnected from each other.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #100
Special Member

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuxTPosition View Post
Just sticking my .02 in about Shock Treatment... It's not a prequel. Brad and Janet are married in Shock Treatment, so technically those events take place AFTER Rocky Horror, I guess? I like to call it a "semi-sequel" because it has some of the same characters but the plots of the two movies are almost entirely disconnected from each other.
Many Rocky fans refer to it as "The Further Adventures of Brad & Janet", rather than a proper sequel (iirc, a direct sequel was proposed, entitled The Return of The Queen, but Tim Curry wasn't interested, so they developed ST instead). There have also been theories that Cosmo & Nathan McKinley are actually Riff-Raff & Magenta. Besides their implied incestuous brother-sister relationship, their line in the song "Look What I Did To My Id" has a line saying "With neurosis in perfusion/and psychosis in your soul/Eliminate confusion/and hide inside a brand new role". This is followed by the dance move they do in "The Time Warp" right after Riff-Raff's "like you're under sedation" line. While I wouldn't call it concrete evidence (it could be nothing more than a wink and a nod), it could easily be interpreted that way.

Personally, I love Shock Treatment. If ever the words "prophetic" or "ahead of its time" could be applied to a film, Shock Treatment certainly deserves those monikers. Seeing as a good chunk of TV programming these days is of the "reality" variety, the only thing O'Brien got wrong was that or homes would become backlots, not the other way around.

As a member of our local shadowcast, Sensual Daydreams, we put on a convention in '95, where we screened Shock Treatment and did a shadowcast performance made up of people from cast from all over the midwest. I ended up stepping in to be Oscar Drill at the last minute, and had a blast (afterwards, Sal Piro came up to me and raved about my performance).

I have a copy of the soundtrack, and many of the songs ("Breakin' Out", "Shock Treatment, and "Look What I Did To My Id", to name a few) are, imo better than those from Rocky. Now that Anchor Bay is distributing for Fox, I have a glimmer of hope for a blu-ray release, but I'm not holding my breath. Instead, I'll hold on to my DVD (special features & a slip-cover? What god did I please), and hope that a BD will come one day.

Last edited by DaleDark; 10-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion