Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (DVD)
$17.26
1 hr ago
Willy's Wonderland (DVD)
$19.99

1917 (DVD)
$7.50
4 hrs ago
Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

One Piece: Collection 25 (DVD)
$27.99

Mulan (DVD)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (DVD)
$19.96

A Star Is Born (DVD)
$5.99

Nobody (DVD)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: Season 7 & 8 (DVD)
$36.36

55 Steps (DVD)
$22.99

Dynasty: The Complete Series (DVD)
$69.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
My box set arrived today. It has two DVD cases in a cardboard box. One is "The MR James Collection" and the other is "The Signalman, Stigma, The Ice House" disc. BarnDoor, you were right!
Wow - I didn't think it would be signposted as obvious as that in this release!

HMV shipped mine last Wednesday, which means I'll probably get it sometime next year...
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #22
Power Member

Aug 2010

Got it on Wednesday, it's a gorgeous thing. Cheers, BFI! In the top ten releases for 2012.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Those who enjoyed this set may be very interested in BFI's forthcoming slate:

Quote:
The screaming starts with M R James’ Classic Ghost Stories (1986), narrated by Robert Powell, which include The Mezzotint and O, Whistle and I’ll Come to You, My Lad. Children’s Film Foundation films will bring a creepier note to Hallowe’en with a DVD volume featuring James Hill’s The Man from Nowhere (1975) and John Krish’s Out of the Darkness (1985). Two long-unseen archive TV titles, guaranteed to scare and delight in equal measure are the 1970 Play for Today entry Robin Redbreast and the surviving, terrifying episodes of 1972’s Dead of Night. 18 November sees Rupert Julian’s newly restored silent classic Phantom of the Opera (1925) and the BFI National Archive digital re-mastering of Thorold Dickinson’s Gaslight (1940) come out in Dual Format and the much sought-after 1979 TV adaptation of Sheridan Le Fanu’s Schalcken the Painter and the star-studded vintage ghost story series Supernatural (1977), featuring Billie Whitelaw, Denholm Elliott, Jeremy Brett, Ian Hendry and Robert Hardy, return to haunt the screens of anyone daring enough to watch them.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

I'm guessing the 3 surviving Dead of Night episodes will be bundled with 'Robin Redbreast', which I've never even heard of. I wonder if BFI will include any other hidden gems on this release?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #25

May 2011

I hadn't heard of any of them. You posted on the BFI thread that you would like the original The Woman in Black on DVD/Blu-ray. I saw it when I was twelve and was absolutely terrified. I'm sure there is a good reason why it hasn't been released, but it is a shame!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Quote:
I hadn't heard of any of them. You posted on the BFI thread that you would like the original The Woman in Black on DVD/Blu-ray. I saw it when I was twelve and was absolutely terrified. I'm sure there is a good reason why it hasn't been released, but it is a shame!
I've no idea who owns the rights in the UK, but I don't think it helps that Susan Hill isn't a big fan of this version. If someone was going to release it I would have thought they'd have put it out last year when the new adaptation came out. With BFI releasing all these great titles it's really the last old TV production I'm waiting for. I think if it were BBC rather than ITV we'd probably have got it from them by now.

On another note, Mark Gatiss is producing a new documentary about M.R. James along with a new adaptation of James' story, The Tractate Middoth. They will air around Christmas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...rogrammes.html

Last edited by BarnDoor; 06-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #27

May 2011

These are the upcoming BFI Gothic Season releases:
  1. BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas (Expanded six-disc Collection): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...mas-DVD/60801/

2. Robin Redbreast (BBC television play, 1970): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...ast-DVD/58958/

3. Dead of Night (BBC series, 1972): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...ght-DVD/58957/

4. The Children's Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories (1976-1985): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/The-Chil...ght-DVD/58963/

5. Supernatural (BBC series, 1977): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...ral-DVD/58959/

6. Schalcken the Painter (BBC television film, 1979): https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Schal...Blu-ray/79800/

7. Classic Ghost Stories of M.R. James (BBC series, 1986): https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Clas...mes-DVD/54357/

Last edited by James78; 03-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Thank you for posting these, James

I will be adding at least three of them to my collection.

Pro-B
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Quote:
CHILDREN'S FILM FOUNDATION COLLECTION: SCARY STORIES (DVD)

The Man From Nowhere | Haunters of the Deep | Out of the Darkness

For over 30 years the Children's Film Foundation produced quality entertainment for young audiences, employing the cream of British filmmaking talent. Newly transferred from the best available elements held in the BFI National Archive, these much-loved and fondly remembered films finally return to the screen after many years out of distribution in this specially curated DVD release from the BFI.

The first time on DVD for these three scary stories from the archives of the Children's Film Foundation featuring tales of ghosts, mysteries and spooky mansions

The Man from Nowhere (1976) is a beautifully told Victorian gothic thriller from acclaimed director James Hill. Young orphan Alice has been invited by her rich uncle to live in his country mansion but she soon finds herself persecuted by the apparent visitations of an unsettling stranger. Who is this man from nowhere and just why is he tying to scare her away?

The events in Haunters of the Deep (1984), take place along the dramatic Cornish coastline. Intent on re-opening a disused tin mine, an American businessman ignores warnings about the site s grisly past. It's left to his bored daughter and local lad, Josh, to attempt a daring rescue when history threatens to repeat itself.

In John Krish's Out of the Darkness (1985), a Derbyshire village is haunted by a tragic secret from the era of the Black Death. When the Neils decide to buy a run-down cottage they are unaware that it was once inhabited by a plague-stricken family. Soon, the Neil siblings find themselves in the middle of a thrilling adventure, assisted by their friend, Tom, and a local folklore expert (played by Michael Carter - The Keep, Return of the Jedi).

Special Features

Brand new High Definition transfers of all films
Fully illustrated booklet with essays by The Man from Nowhere writer John Tully, actor Michael Carter and Dr. Rachel Mossley
Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)

UK | 1976 + 1984 + 1985 | colour | English | TBC minutes | DVD9 | Original aspect ratios TBC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-Fi.../dp/B00E65SEO4

Quote:
SUPERNATURAL (2-DISC DVD)

Werewolves, vampires and ghosts haunt the living in this long-awaited double-disc presentation of the much sought-after BBC horror series Supernatural.

Originally broadcast on BBC1 in 1977 and rarely seen since, this classic series ran for eight terrifying episodes. In each, a different prospective member of the Club of the Damned is required to tell a story that will chill the blood of the club's members, and their application for membership would be judged on how frightening the story was. Failure to induce terror in all who attend would lead to the death of the storyteller...

A timeless example of British Gothic horror at its best, Supernatural boasts a superb cast of acting talent, including Billie Whitelaw, Jeremy Brent, Robert Hardy, Gordon Jackson, Sinead Cusack, Denholm Elliott and Ian Hendry.

First ever DVD release of this much sought-after and highly acclaimed BBC TV series.

Contents

Disc One

1. Ghosts of Venice with Robert Hardy and Sinead Cusack
2. Countess Ilona with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
3. The Werewolf Reunion with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
4. Mr Nightingale with Jeremy Brett and Lesley-Anne Down

Disc Two

5. Lady Sybil with Denholm Elliott
6. Viktoria with Catherine Schell and Judy Cornwell
7. Night of the Marionettes with Gordon Jackson, Kathleen Byron and Vladek Sheybal
8. Dorabella with Jeremy Clyde
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supernatural-DVD/dp/B00E65SGH4/

Quote:
ROBIN REDBREAST (DVD)

A film by James McTaggart

DVD premiere of this legendary BBC TV folk horror from 1970.

Norah Palmer (Anna Cropper) is a television script editor who temporarily moves to a remote English country village to rebuild her life. At first, she finds that the villagers are friendly, if a little eccentric. When she becomes pregnant to the handsome villager Rob, she begins to suspect the locals of conspiring against her, preventing her from leaving the village for her home in London.

With its combination of unsettling folk rituals and insular regional communities, Robin Redbreast is considered to be an influence and precursor to The Wicker Man (1973), and has built up a cult following over the years since its original broadcast.

Made during the golden age of British TV drama, and originally shown in the Play for Today strand, this provocative and unsettling drama was directed by the renowned producer / director James McTaggart from a script by John Bowen.

Special Features

- First time on DVD for this much sought-after BBC production
- Extras TBC
- Fully illustrated booklet with original essays, film notes and credits
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Redbre.../dp/B00E65SHVY

Quote:
DEAD OF NIGHT (DVD)

Films by Don Taylor, Robert Holmes and John Bowen

After years of unavailability, the three surviving episodes from the legendary BBC horror anthology series, Dead of Night, finally comes to DVD. Originally screened on BBC 2 in 1972, and rarely seen since, Dead of Night has been highly sought by fans of the BBC and British Horror for decades.

In The Exorcism - perhaps the most terrifying of the episodes four wealthy, middle-class friends (Clive Swift, Edward Petherbridge, Anna Cropper and Sylvia Kay) gather for a Christmas dinner in a country cottage only to find that the past will not rest while they feast.

In Return Flight the professionalism of an experienced and respected airline pilot (Peter Barkworth) is placed under scrutiny when he encounters the ghostly apparition of a WW11 Lancaster bomber.

In A Woman Sobbing a middle-class wife (Anna Massey - Peeping Tom) becomes increasingly paranoid when her nights are interrupted by the terrifying and unexplained sound of a female crying in one of the rooms in her new house.

Special Features

- First time on DVD for this rare and classic BBC TV horror series
- All three remaining episodes on one disc
- Fully illustrated booklet with original essays
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Night-D.../dp/B00E65SHQY

Quote:
SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER (Dual Format Edition)

A film by Leslie Megahey

World premiere of this highly sought-after ghost story from the BBC, released in the BFI's acclaimed Flipside series.

Based on a short story by Sheridan Le Fanu, Schalcken the Painter was originally shown in the Omnibus strand on BBC 2 during Christmas 1979. The story follows a young seventeenth century Flemish painter Godfried Schalcken, who forsakes love for ambition, but discovers that there is still a terrible price to pay for his choice.

One of the most frequently requested programmes in the BBC archive, Schalcken the Painter is an exquisitely shot, atmospheric horror film which explores the uneasy, dark relationship between art, commerce and erotic desire.

The superb cast includes Jeremy Clyde, Maurice Denman and Cheryl Kennedy.

Newly transferred to High Definition from the film materials preserved in the BFI National Archive, the release includes such as the rare, experimental Edgar Allan Poe adaptation, The Pit (1962), assistant directed by Peter Collinson.

Special Features

- World premiere release on DVD and Blu-ray
- Part of the BFI's celebrated Flipside series
- Interview with Director Leslie Megahey
- The Pit (1962, Edward Abraham, 25 mins): experimental film based on the classic Poe tale The Pit and the Pendulum
- Fully illustrated booklet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schalcken-Pa.../dp/B00E65SF98

I'm expecting some of these prices to drop before release date, especially Robin Redbreast and Dead of Night.

Last edited by BarnDoor; 07-27-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have known about these for awhile, but I've never picked them up. Have to change that now!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Smile

Fantastic thread! I like a good ghost story & would like to get some of these.

This would be a blind buy for me, would this be the one to start with.

And in what order would you get them if all would be a blind buy? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #32

May 2011

The BFI has announced that a new edition of the BBC's Ghost Stories for Christmas boxed set will be released in October:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/n...ed-autumn-2013

https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...mas-DVD/60801/

Last edited by James78; 07-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Stuff like that really annoys me. A real kick in the teeth for those that bought it last year. I'm guessing it will just include the Classic Ghost Stories disc? I hope that's all it is. I love that cover as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #34

May 2011

I assume that it will just include the new Classic Ghost Stories DVD too (which I am buying), so it won't make a difference to us, will it?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Shouldn't do, so long as it is essentially the same.

EDIT:

It is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Story-.../dp/B009XD7M2Y

Last edited by BarnDoor; 07-29-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #36

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
Fantastic thread! I like a good ghost story & would like to get some of these. In what order would you get them if all would be a blind buy? Thanks.
Hagios, all the DVDs are self-contained stories, so it doesn't matter in which order you buy them. There are a confusing amount of different releases, so if I were you, I would wait and buy the new six-disc boxed set in October:

Last edited by James78; 07-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

I don't own nor have I see anything from this box set but the paranormal fascinates me greatly. Would you guys say its worth it?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010

Absolutely.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Smile

Quote:
Hagios, all the DVDs are self-contained stories, so it doesn't matter which order you buy them in. There are a confusing amount of different releases, so if I were you, I would wait and buy the new six-disc boxed set in October:

Thank You James78, much appreciated, I think that's what I'll do!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

Are the stories good/actually interesting and scary? Or are they badly dated (not sure how old these are.) Some older British shows haven't aged as well as others.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies