Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Forty Guns (Blu-ray)
$30.37
10 hrs ago
Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Nov 2010
Default Grapevine Video

This company sells a mix of blu-rays of silent movies and early sound movies. I do not see any of these listed on blu-ray.com. http://www.grapevinevideo.com If you search for Grapevine video bluray on Amazon.com about a dozen blurays are available. Curious as to why they are not listed on bluray.com
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhard View Post
Curious as to why they are not listed on bluray.com
Because no one has added them, do I sense that you're volunteering to do that

Doesn't look like they're all that well known which is probably why they've been flying under the radar. Looks like their movies are DVD-r and BD-r though, I wouldn't expect much in the way of restoration either. Although it is a neat service that they offer to scan your personal 8mm and 16mm films.
Home Theater Setup
Projector: BenQ HT1085ST 1080P 3D DLP
Screen: Elite Screens M100XWH-E24 Manual 100" 16:9 w/ 24" Drop
Receiver: Yamaha RX-v379 5.1 Channel
Sound: Yamaha NS-PZ40BL Speakers & NS-SW40BL Subwoofer
Player: Sony BDP-S5200 Region Free Modded
Accessories: Nexera 101915 Pinnacle Cabinet, Sewell BlastIR SW-29311 IR Extender, SainSonic SSZ-200DLB 3D Glasses
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2014
Maine

I asked for, and got 3 movies of theirs to review for another site. What I got was quite disappointing. They are BD-r, and the covers are just fair quality photcopies. They must have one high quality cover, then make copies for their product. "The Day Time Ended" is in full frame. I haven't watched these yet as I have just got them. The 2 silent films are full frame too of course. The blu rays have the cover artwork on them. It looks like they used one of those "do-it-yourself" print programs to get them. No thermal ink here. I'm thinking bootleg company, or grey market at best. Wonder what loopholes were found, or if they're just going to continue until they get cease & desist from rights holders? That's my 2 cents so far. Oh, the other 2 releases I got were silent films. The Virginian-1923 and The Canadian-1926.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop13 View Post
I'm thinking bootleg company, or grey market at best. Wonder what loopholes were found, or if they're just going to continue until they get cease & desist from rights holders? That's my 2 cents so far. Oh, the other 2 releases I got were silent films. The Virginian-1923 and The Canadian-1926.
Based on the titles and the era they're from, I have a feeling all of them are in the public domain so not bootlegging but very little reason to expect high quality in that case.
Home Theater Setup
Accessories: Nexera 101915 Pinnacle Cabinet, Sewell BlastIR SW-29311 IR Extender, SainSonic SSZ-200DLB 3D Glasses
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (10-26-2017)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Banned

Nov 2012

Quote:
I asked for, and got 3 movies of theirs to review for another site. What I got was quite disappointing. They are BD-r, and the covers are just fair quality photcopies. They must have one high quality cover, then make copies for their product. "The Day Time Ended" is in full frame. I haven't watched these yet as I have just got them. The 2 silent films are full frame too of course. The blu rays have the cover artwork on them. It looks like they used one of those "do-it-yourself" print programs to get them. No thermal ink here. I'm thinking bootleg company, or grey market at best. Wonder what loopholes were found, or if they're just going to continue until they get cease & desist from rights holders? That's my 2 cents so far. Oh, the other 2 releases I got were silent films. The Virginian-1923 and The Canadian-1926.
If you expect old silent films to look as good as new movies you're not living in the real world.

Grapevine Video is NOT I repeat NOT I reiterate NOT a bootleg company. They never infringe on copyrighted titles nor on privately owned prints. They have a legally correct agreement for every title they sell. Many silent and early talky films have fallen into public domain or out of the interest of the studios that once controlled them. Most of the companies that produced and released silent and early talkies no longer exist; there is no ownership to speak of. The family at Grapevine love old movies. They collect rare, scarce, homeless and ownerless titles on 35mm and 16mm film. They license titles from other private collectors and occasionally from the rights holders if one can be found. They do their best to clean them up, to assemble missing pieces and different sources into a whole film, and then share them with the public who shares their appreciation for old movies. The money they make from this enterprise is minuscule; sometimes not enough to cover expenses. It's a labor of love over there.

Many of Grapevine's transfers date from the analog era, but they are constantly upgrading. Even their oldest transfers look better than nothing and better than their competitors'. I've bought some amazing films from them, things I never thought could survive, like Al Jenning's silents. Jennings was a bank and train robber in Oklahoma in the 1890s who was caught in a famous manhunt by Sheriff Bill Tilghman. When he got out of jail he decided to make movies about his experiences and the circumstances that drove him into stealing. He was an outlaw of the wild west who helped to invent the western. Grapevine was the first and so far as I know only company to uncover what little survives of his films which were in terrible shape. Now that Grapevine is paying for 2K scans and minimal clean-up the quality of their transfers has improved considerably. I understand they've shared transfers with Sinister and Alpha, but you'll get better quality (and no digital watermarking) from Grapevine. But there isn't enough of a market for these old movies to make it very profitable. It's a niche market for a specialized audience.

You can buy from Grapevine with complete confidence. They are impeccably honest and quality-conscious.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2014
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
If you expect old silent films to look as good as new movies you're not living in the real world.
I don't, and I see they don't sell the Charles Band title any longer, so something was amiss. Lighten up.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

I couldn't care less about the packaging. All I care about is the film. Do you have DVD release of the Virginian to compare it to? It was pretty good quality.

By the way, this isn't a bootleg company. It's a mom & pop video company that has been releasing silent films on home video since the VHS era. Do your homework!

Last edited by bigshot; 10-25-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
drak b (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2014
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Do you have DVD release of the Virginian to compare it to?
By the way, this isn't a bootleg company. It's a mom & pop video company that has been releasing silent films on home video since the VHS era. Do your homework!
No, And don't be an ass. Releasing "The Day Time Ended" on blu ray, which is "owned" by Charles Band (quite the thief himself), is not a smart move even if it is a legit company (Which I feel "grey market" is what they are at best.) Releasing public domain and/or silent films is fine. Mill Creek has been doing it for years. There's even a Full Moon Features DVD of The Day Time Ended on Amazon (also in full screen by the way.) I feel a cease & desist coming their way, and surprising it hasn't happened already. There's plenty of other public dmain films to make blu's from. Hopefully they remain afloat.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Releasing "The Day Time Ended" on blu ray, which is "owned" by Charles Band (quite the thief himself), is not a smart move even if it is a legit company (Which I feel "grey market" is what they are at best.) Releasing public domain and/or silent films is fine. Mill Creek has been doing it for years. There's even a Full Moon Features DVD of The Day Time Ended on Amazon (also in full screen by the way.)
That title certainly is a curiosity since according to Bandís master list he still owns the rights. Quality is probably crap since itís full frame but might be the only chance to own it on blu before it gets shut down, something I fully expect once he learnss about it.
Home Theater Setup
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (10-26-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 04:36 AM   #10

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

Has anyone watched the BD-R of The Virginian (1923) and can comment on picture quality and audio? Are these 1080P (or 1080i) high def transfers or are they SD put on a BD-R? I just discovered the listings for this company and am interested in finding out more. A search on the web didn't reveal much except it is a small mom and pop company as mentioned above.

Please give us the goods, bipbop13.
Twilight Time Release Schedule Thread

The Samuel Fuller on Blu-ray Thread

The Official Silent Films on Blu-ray Thread

"The last time a man opened the door for me, we were going 60 miles an hour" - Christa, Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973)

Last edited by oildude; 11-22-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
Has anyone watched the BD-R of The Virginian (1923) and can comment on picture quality and audio? Are these 1080P (or 1080i) high def transfers or are they SD put on a BD-R? I just discovered the listings for this company and am interested in finding out more. A search on the web didn't reveal much except it is a small mom and pop company as mentioned above.

Can't speak for The Virginian, but I took a quick peak at The Day Time Ended and Radar Men from the Moon, both looked really bad, don't think I've seen that much aliasing in a long while, quite fuzzy at the same time too, can't imagine it looks any better than a DVD. Both of those titles even say "HD transfer" on their listings, The Virginian doesn't even state that so I wouldn't expect much at all.
Home Theater Setup
Thanks given by:
oildude (11-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #12
Banned

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post

The Virginian (1923) has never looked better than it does on Grapevine's BD-R. I don't know what element they worked from, but if they say it's a hi-def scan, then you can be sure it's a hi-def scan. Why not call Jack at customer support 602-973-3661 and ask him. It certainly looks like a hi-def scan. It's as clear and sharp and detailed as the element allows. For me it was a rediscovery of the film. I have a large extensive collection of silent westerns and early talkie westerns and have been through several copies of this title. After seeing Grapevine's BD-R I threw the others away. I recommend you buy it now. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Richard--W; 05-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (05-20-2018)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

Oct 2015

I have the Grapevine Video BD-Rs of YOUNG EAGLES & THE MYSTERY SQUADRON, & both are excellent releases. The YOUNG EAGLES release is the best the serial has ever looked. THE MYSTERY SQUADRON transfer is comparable to the Serial Squadron's transfer (both are excellent) in terms of quality, though both are completely different transfers. I highly recommend both.

Last edited by Loverdover; 11-22-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Thanks given by:
oildude (11-22-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 02:45 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

They're running a black friday three-fer special right now. It says DVD but it applies to blu-rays too. I just ordered Eagles, Squad and Radar Men and shipped first class it came out to $43. That's a pretty good deal. Should be fun stuff. Thanks for the tip loverdover.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #15

Oct 2015

I highly recommend the Grapevine BD-R of the 1933 Mascot serial "THE WHISPERING SHADOW" starring Bela Lugosi. I can honestly say that this is the best I have seen this serial look.

http://www.grapevinevideo.com/whispe...hadow-brd.html
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
Banned

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverdover View Post
I highly recommend the Grapevine BD-R of the 1933 Mascot serial "THE WHISPERING SHADOW" starring Bela Lugosi. I can honestly say that this is the best I have seen this serial look.

http://www.grapevinevideo.com/whispe...hadow-brd.html
Thanks for the tip. It's about time this Lugosi serial was given some love. I'll go buy it.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Thanks for the tip
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

For those interested, Grapevine is in the final legs of a Kickstarter campaign to put out some Monty Banks shorts on BD-r. These are pre-code era silent films/shorts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orts?ref=email

They're scanning in and will be putting on disc:
A PERFECT GENTLEMAN (1928) - 48 minute film
THE BELLES OF LIBERTY (1918) - 11 minute short film also with Eva Novak
LE COIFFEUR IMPROVIS… (1923) - believed to be the film Taxi Please from a French reel source
CHASING CHOO CHOOS (1927) - shortened scene from the lost film Play Safe (1927)

This will likely be available through their website too if you'd prefer to avoid crowdfunding and likely at the same price.
Home Theater Setup
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #19
Power Member

Oct 2014
Maine

Still no love for the Grapevine Videos releases in the database I see. They're still releasing blu-ray titles, so the number is growing steadily. Had someone volunteered to enter them in? I don't have any idea how myself.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors