Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Awful Truth (Blu-ray)
$18.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 06-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Feb 2016
Default Grasshopper Film Discussion Thread

Quote:
grasshopper film is a distribution company dedicated to the release of independent, foreign, and documentary film. It was founded in december 2015 by ryan krivoshey.

Site: http://grasshopperfilm.com/

Last edited by sebaswerty; 06-24-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added link to their website
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (06-24-2018), deltatauhobbit (06-24-2018), ShellOilJunior (06-26-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Feb 2016

So far there seems to be only one review on this site for this distributor:
Nocturama
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Noctu...195924/#Review

I recently watched the Moses and Aaron disc and I was extremely impressed. Image quality was as good as I've ever seen, three early short films are included of which I've watched the shorter two. The film itself is, of course, excellent.

Casa de Lava is next, so far I'm very impressed.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014
California

Cool that you started this label's thread.

Nocturama is a great film. Hopefully its recognition will rightly grow over time. I imagine it will.

Right Now, Wrong Then is also a very good film. I bought that one.
Thanks given by:
sebaswerty (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Aug 2016

Yeah, thanks for starting this thread, sebaswerty.

I have Moses & Aaron and Right Now, Wrong Then and both discs are excellent (as are the films, of course). The inclusion of Not Reconciled on the Moses & Aaron disc is especially welcome - I really hope Grasshopper release more Straub & Huillet on blu-ray soon.
Thanks given by:
sebaswerty (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #5

Jul 2017
Small town Massachusetts

Honestly had not heard of this company. Some of the films looks really interesting though, so thanks for the heads up!
Thanks given by:
sebaswerty (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchmania View Post
I really hope Grasshopper release more Straub & Huillet on blu-ray soon.
They are currently showing "Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach" in theaters so I hope that means it'll come out on blu-ray after that. They don't have any info on upcoming releases on their site as far as I can tell though
Thanks given by:
witchmania (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Jul 2017
Small town Massachusetts

Anyone know if they offer free shipping with a certain amount purchased?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #8

Aug 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaswerty View Post
They are currently showing "Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach" in theaters so I hope that means it'll come out on blu-ray after that. They don't have any info on upcoming releases on their site as far as I can tell though
Yeah, I seem to remember having seen them on Twitter talking about their Straub & Huillet catalogue as if they're working towards releasing a few titles, and I sure hope that everything sees a blu-ray outing. Previously, they've put some of their shorts up on Vimeo, so they're clearly committed to getting S&H films out there.

It's great that they have the Lav Diaz film, From What Is Before, but a shame they've only released it as a digital download. I'd love to buy a blu-ray of that, although I realise its length means it'd have to be spread across a couple of discs, which probably isn't the easiest commercial prospect for Grasshopper.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Anybody know what the chances are that they will put "Fireworks Wednesday" out on Blu? I'll buy the DVD if that's what it's gonna be, but the price is high enough that I would regret it if a Blu came along soon after. It looks like iTunes lists it as HD...
Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #10

Feb 2016

Quote:
It's great that they have the Lav Diaz film, From What Is Before, but a shame they've only released it as a digital download. I'd love to buy a blu-ray of that, although I realise its length means it'd have to be spread across a couple of discs, which probably isn't the easiest commercial prospect for Grasshopper.
First time hearing about that one, not familiar with the director either. Would you recommend it? It looks interesting to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
Anybody know what the chances are that they will put "Fireworks Wednesday" out on Blu? I'll buy the DVD if that's what it's gonna be, but the price is high enough that I would regret it if a Blu came along soon after. It looks like iTunes lists it as HD...
Plus he's probably the most prominent director in their catalogue. They don't seem to put out much info on new releases in general
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2016
California

First time I heard about this, but I am interested in these! Especially Kaili Blues & Right Now, Wrong Then!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #12

Aug 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaswerty View Post
First time hearing about that one, not familiar with the director either. Would you recommend it? It looks interesting to say the least.
Not sure I'd necessarily recommend it as a first Lav Diaz film (Norte, The End Of History is probably better as a first port of call), but if you have a taste for (hate the term, but...) slow cinema I think it's pretty fantastic. It's a very beautiful film - the sound and cinematography render the landscape in an extraordinary and sometimes eerie way - but narratively and politically, it's also fairly unrelentingly bleak.

It definitely has a particular atmosphere to it, and at first, the static camera and glacial tempo can be a bit jarring, but once you acclimatise, it's totally immersive.

I'm a big fan, anyway..!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #13

May 2015

Quote:
Yeah, I seem to remember having seen them on Twitter talking about their Straub & Huillet catalogue as if they're working towards releasing a few titles, and I sure hope that everything sees a blu-ray outing. Previously, they've put some of their shorts up on Vimeo, so they're clearly committed to getting S&H films out there.
Yeah, apparently they have the rights to everything, which is incredible.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2016
Bay Area

https://twitter.com/GhopperFilm/stat...52453174054912

" To celebrate some of the newest members of @TheAcademy - Bertrand Bonello, Feras Fayyad, Andrew Rossi and Hong Sang-soo - we're making it easier for everyone to see their films with a 40% off BD/DVD/Streaming #FlashSale today & tomorrow only. http://grasshopperfilm.com/athome/ "

Can't recommend Bonello's Nocturama highly enough.
Thanks given by:
sebaswerty (06-27-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #15

Feb 2016

Quote:
Not sure I'd necessarily recommend it as a first Lav Diaz film (Norte, The End Of History is probably better as a first port of call), but if you have a taste for (hate the term, but...) slow cinema I think it's pretty fantastic. It's a very beautiful film - the sound and cinematography render the landscape in an extraordinary and sometimes eerie way - but narratively and politically, it's also fairly unrelentingly bleak.

It definitely has a particular atmosphere to it, and at first, the static camera and glacial tempo can be a bit jarring, but once you acclimatise, it's totally immersive.

I'm a big fan, anyway..!
Everything I've read about it, and now your take on it give me the feeling that I'm gonna love it. Thanks
Thanks given by:
witchmania (07-01-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors