Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Xbox One)
$52.00
 
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Xbox One)
$24.99
 
The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour (Xbox One)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Overcooked! 2 (Xbox One)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Fallout 76 (Xbox One)
$49.99
 
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Xbox One)
$169.97
 
Jurassic World Evolution (Xbox One)
$49.99
 
Friday the 13th: The Game (Xbox One)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
The Lego Movie 2 Videogame (Xbox One)
$36.52
6 hrs ago
Fortnite (Xbox One)
$26.80
 
Soul Calibur VI (Xbox One)
$129.99
 
Divinity: Original Sin II (Xbox One)
$39.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #101
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I think they'd have to have a toggle like Twitch does (Source, 480, 720, 1080, Best) to accommodate lower bandwidths. 4K streaming is 25Mb/s according to Netflix but then you have to factor in that it's not just a video signal and that inputs are being registered and sent back. I think upload speeds will be just as important and in most of the US they're pretty anemic.

On the other hand it's completely plausible they send a 720 signal to your box and then the stream box upscales it. Of course that could cause latency then.
480? We don’t want to go back to the caveman times! I think the cut off should be 720p. If you can’t manage that, then get the proper console. 480p is a flashback to decades ago and shouldn’t have a place in this day and age. It’s virtually telling younger players to just go and play on mobile as the graphics will look slightly less awful.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #102
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flint View Post
I was thinking this same thing and it's going to be a huge problem in the long run. Internet costs as of right now aren't even that favorable, especially in rural areas such as mine (not very reliable services either, internet cuts out constantly). The speeds required for streaming a game are going to require an upgrade which means I'd be paying out the ass for faster internet, Game Pass subscription and Xbox Live Gold. It's more cost efficient to just buy the traditional console with a disc drive for the long run.

Also, streaming a game takes that license away from the consumer. The game isn't actually yours. The only thing you "own" is the subscription.

Game servers already crash regularly just from log-ins and data traffic, how do you think they're going to fare when thousands if not millions of people launch a stream of the same game at the same time? Do ISP's and Microsoft have that kind of server space?

I have tons of reservations about game streaming, but thankfully it sounds as if Microsoft isn't ready to go full 100% game streaming yet (if ever). I'm just going to stick with the old way of playing games off of a disc as long as I can until I'm convinced internet speeds and reliability aren't going to be an issue and that streaming games has its advantages over playing off of a disc (which all signs point to no). Millions in the U.S. don't have access to high speed internet and monopolies still rule with an iron fist in lots of places (mine included) and there's also the issue of Net Neutrality being dead which raises even more concerns. I just don't see game streaming as viable as of right now.
It looks like the same scenario as Blu-ray versus streaming. Take a huge quality cut for the sake of convenience. I don’t fancy 720p streaming games on a 4K tv. What’s the point?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:54 AM   #103
Derb Derb is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
480? We don’t want to go back to the caveman times! I think the cut off should be 720p. If you can’t manage that, then get the proper console. 480p is a flashback to decades ago and shouldn’t have a place in this day and age. It’s virtually telling younger players to just go and play on mobile as the graphics will look slightly less awful.
You should be able to get 4K streaming. The resolution will probably adjust similar to Netflix if your speeds drop below 20. It will probably also be strongly recommended to have the thing “wired” as well.

This 9th gen will be the beta stages for the concept. As I said earlier though, by 2028 or near the end of that gen, expect no other option. Cya, GameStops.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 AM   #104
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
You should be able to get 4K streaming. The resolution will probably adjust similar to Netflix if your speeds drop below 20. It will probably also be strongly recommended to have the thing “wired” as well.

This 9th gen will be the beta stages for the concept. As I said earlier though, by 2028 or near the end of that gen, expect no other option. Cya, GameStops.
Gamestop will be gone way before then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 AM   #105
FreekShow FreekShow is offline
Member
 
FreekShow's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Default

I really don't know where the last three years went but the talks of a next gen system baffles me. I feel as if I hadn't scratched the surface of my Xbox One yet.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Captain Flint (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:01 AM   #106
Captain Flint Captain Flint is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Captain Flint's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
Ohio
476
18
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekShow View Post
I really don't know where the last three years went but the talks of a next gen system baffles me. I feel as if I hadn't scratched the surface of my Xbox One yet.
I feel the exact same way. The console has only been out for 4 and a half years. The next console is still at least 2 years out but it still seems early to me for some reason. Time really does fly by.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
FreekShow (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #107
Derb Derb is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flint View Post
I feel the exact same way. The console has only been out for 4 and a half years. The next console is still at least 2 years out but it still seems early to me for some reason. Time really does fly by.
On a positive, we should get some good games in the next few years as devs are clearly caught up with the system & can optimize the hell outta them. On the other hand, I figure MS just wants this gen to die & start fresh asap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #108
Captain Flint Captain Flint is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Captain Flint's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
Ohio
476
18
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
On a positive, we should get some good games in the next few years as devs are clearly caught up with the system & can optimize the hell outta them. On the other hand, I figure MS just wants this gen to die & start fresh asap.
I'm thinking so too. The Xbox One announcement was a complete mess. Thank god they got rid of that head of Xbox and got someone who actually cares. The sales, while impressive, are far below PS4. I'm thinking MS want to start over as well and try their best to win the next generation.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Zoland2020 (12-25-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #109
dyne dyne is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
dyne's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
445
7
Default

With MS firmly entrenched in forward compatibility as well as having brought out the X, how do they "start fresh?" A new system with a new name won't matter much I don't think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #110
dyne dyne is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
dyne's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
445
7
Default

Scarlett seems to be the “family” code name. Lockhart will be equivalent to the X and be the “lower powered” of the two with Anaconda being the top of the line console. These are in addition to the discless (not a streaming system, simply an all digital console) system likely based on One S hardware.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nex...named-anaconda

Quote:
We know from previous reports that Microsoft is possibly working on a family of devices under something called "Scarlet" but in a new report by Windows Central that actually means something similar to what Xbox is doing now with the Xbox One S and One X. According to them, Microsoft is working on two different consoles, an "S"-style next-gen Xbox codenamed "Lockhard" and a more powerful "X"-style next-gen Xbox codenamed "Anaconda."
Quote:
The Lockhart console is said to be as powerful as the current Xbox One X with some added refinements. Anaconda will be even more powerful, essentially serving as a next-gen Xbox One X. Considering that the current One X is the most powerful console on the market, we can barely get our heads around what an even more powerful version of that will look like.

Both consoles will reportedly have backwards compatibility with games across all previous generations including the Xbox One, 360, and original Xbox.

These are separate consoles from the rumored discless Xbox One set to come out early 2019. That console is said to be a smaller, cheaper Xbox One S sans disc drive. Microsoft is reportedly working with retailers on a disc for code program that will let customers exchange their physical media for digital copies of the same game. This isn't a streaming-only Xbox One, but rather an Xbox One that stores digital games locally on the system.
Could we see a $100-150 discless system, $300 refined X and a top of the line $500 family? Seems like good price points for all types of gamers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #111
TheFilmAficionado TheFilmAficionado is offline
Member
 
TheFilmAficionado's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Default

One thing I truly don't understand is why people think this console is not going to be a part of the Xbox One family. The Xbox team has been very vocal about killing off "generations" in gaming and focusing more on hardware iterations moving forward. They have said on numerous occasions that any new consoles produced would be a part of the Xbox One family because they want everything to move with you when you purchase a new console, and they've said that the idea is that the brand will live forever through variant hardware. The "new" system is probably going to be 2 new systems, if anything. One will most likely be a powerful system where the games are played locally, not unlike what we have now, but with more power and bells and whistles and will probably retail between $500-$600. The other is probably going to be a relatively light piece of hardware that will stream games through Microsoft's upcoming gaming streaming service, and probably resemble something like a Firestick or anyone of those media streaming sticks on the market, and will likely retail for $100-$150.

People these days are so amped up on console "numbering" that some people actually believe the new console is going to be called "Xbox Two", which is ridiculous. It'll most certainly be called the Xbox One but with some kind of surname to denote that it's different hardware than what has come before.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #112
Derb Derb is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilmAficionado View Post
One thing I truly don't understand is why people think this console is not going to be a part of the Xbox One family. The Xbox team has been very vocal about killing off "generations" in gaming and focusing more on hardware iterations moving forward. They have said on numerous occasions that any new consoles produced would be a part of the Xbox One family because they want everything to move with you when you purchase a new console, and they've said that the idea is that the brand will live forever through variant hardware.
MS is a software company first & foremost.

All that generation talk was clearly PR. MS, like Sony needed something to pitch to sell mid-gen refresh’s.

I agree the Xbox Two is silly & dumb. So yeah, it will be Xbox ******** but not Xbox One something something.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #113
greyhound1 greyhound1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2018
Australia
92
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flint View Post
I feel the exact same way. The console has only been out for 4 and a half years. The next console is still at least 2 years out but it still seems early to me for some reason. Time really does fly by.
Yeah still trying to catch up on so many titles it will be next-gen before I can get there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #114
TheFilmAficionado TheFilmAficionado is offline
Member
 
TheFilmAficionado's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
MS is a software company first & foremost.

All that generation talk was clearly PR. MS, like Sony needed something to pitch to sell mid-gen refresh’s.

I agree the Xbox Two is silly & dumb. So yeah, it will be Xbox ******** but not Xbox One something something.
We shall see. The team from Xbox was very adamant, so I'd be a bit disappointed if they went back on their word, but I guess I wouldn't be overly surprised. Just as long as they keep their promise of "everything moves with you", I suppose I'll be happy.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.