Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99
18 hrs ago
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
Did you own a 2016 OLED before you got your NON-3D one? The OLED 3D experience is far better than I've seen in a theatre (which are also rarely calibrated and displayed correctly)
No, but I have a 1080P 240Hz LCD LG 3D TV that I bought about six or so years ago when I thought 3D was going to be the next big thing. I bought a couple 3D Blu-rays too, but watched maybe one? I'm just not a fan.

I don't think it makes anything look better, and I hate the gimmicky parts of it, like someone's hand flying out of the screen at you. I still have the TV, only because it's worth next to nothing now, and it's in my bedroom and used maybe once every few months (but not for 3D).
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Was 3D ever a "big thing?" Just because studios say it is doesn't mean it is.
3D is a big thing in most commercial movie theaters. However some commercial movie theaters that showed 3D movies all year round, in the last few years there are some small commercial movie theaters that show only 2D movies only. 3D is very popular with Dolby Cinema theaters and IMAX theaters.

When it comes to the home market, 3D has always been a niche videophile feature and is currently only offered on high-end DLP projectors and other projectors. People that enjoy 3D at home found out that 144Hz DLP is King of 3D because of no ghosting with no eye strain.

Between the years 2010-2016 some flat panel screens offered 3D features, but the 3D quality was poor with eye strain on many flat panel models.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
3D is a big thing in most commercial movie theaters. However some commercial movie theaters that showed 3D movies all year round, in the last few years there are some small commercial movie theaters that show only 2D movies only. 3D is very popular with Dolby Cinema theaters and IMAX theaters.
Methinks it's very much debatable how "big" 3D was in movie theaters. As has been stated before, it was very much forced on theaters and you need to look no further than The Force Awakens for evidence of that.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #24
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

These TVs don't have 3d. Why is the whole thread about 3d? There must not be enough 3d discussions/arguments threads, apparently (?).

I have a questions about the OLED77G7... Listings state that it's 119lbs. The OLED65C7 is about 60 pounds.
Is the extra weight due to including the sound bar that goes with it?

I Figured the OLED77C9 would come out to about 80 pounds, stand included. Main reason I am asking is because I have a stand I put my TV on top of, so I can mount my center speaker below the TV. I don't know if it would like 120 pounds resting on it lol
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #25

Sep 2008

At least projectors still have 3D Even the newest models from JVC for example. 3D is included. Nothing like 3D on a huge screen!!

But yeah, too bad the flat panel manufacturers decided to remove it.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (01-14-2019), punisher (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #26

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
These TVs don't have 3d. Why is the whole thread about 3d? There must not be enough 3d discussions/arguments threads, apparently (?).

I have a questions about the OLED77G7... Listings state that it's 119lbs. The OLED65C7 is about 60 pounds.
Is the extra weight due to including the sound bar that goes with it?

I Figured the OLED77C9 would come out to about 80 pounds, stand included. Main reason I am asking is because I have a stand I put my TV on top of, so I can mount my center speaker below the TV. I don't know if it would like 120 pounds resting on it lol
The OLED77C8 weight w/ stand is 80.5 pounds, so I would imagine the OLED77C9 would be around the same since it will have the same stand design.
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #27

Feb 2018

The consumers/market caused the collapse of 3D because eventually, the gimmick wore of for MOST people, and the numbers across the board showed that 3D sets weren't selling compared to their cheaper, 3D free counterparts.

In the US at least, even major releases aren't being offered in 3D anymore for disc format, and theatrically....it's still an option, but most theaters have cut down on just how many show times for such are offered. At least in my neck of the woods, most standard format theaters MAYBE offer a single 3D screening a day of whatever the biggest block buster is. And even the IMAX/Dolby/RPX cinemas seem to have halved their number of 3d screenings per day.

I had a 2011 Panny plasma with 3D. And yeah, I was super excited when I first got it. But, after only a handful of discs, and a few games, the "shine" quickly wore off for me. It never added anything in the long run. The movies themselves were either "so-so" block busters than only had a few moments worth watching for the WOW factor, OR were genuinely good flics, that, 10 minutes I was too engaged in the story and characters to care at all about 3D.

Yeah. 3D WAS a huge deal for a very, very short window. Studios and manufacturers tried to make it seem like it was still a big deal for quite a while after it wasn't.

It's not "morons at LG removing features". It's every manufacturer doing their job/what they are supposed to as a for-profit consumer electronics company...and making sure they can move the most units to the most consumers.

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to 3D to know what the cost difference would be NOW, but the last time I recall all of the major companies releasing 3D sets, price tag wise it was usually (not including sales events etc) at least a 300 USD increase from non sets. For most people back then that was too much. With even less interest now, it would die on the shelves.

Players are a different matter, as it's not as big of a hardware difference, and when you are getting down to the price of most players vs TV sets, it's an easier sell. Though I can't recall the last player I saw that boldly advertised 3D capabilities. It's just another bullet point on the full specs sheet.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKoA13 View Post
It's not "morons at LG removing features". It's every manufacturer doing their job/what they are supposed to as a for-profit consumer electronics company...and making sure they can move the most units to the most consumers.

I honestly haven't paid enough attention to 3D to know what the cost difference would be NOW, but the last time I recall all of the major companies releasing 3D sets, price tag wise it was usually (not including sales events etc) at least a 300 USD increase from non sets. For most people back then that was too much. With even less interest now, it would die on the shelves.
The added cost for TV manufactures to include 3D was likely very small. The 2016 LG OLEDs are a prime example. The flat B6 does not have 3D, but the curved C6 does. The retail price for the two models was exactly the same.

When LG introduced their 2017 OLEDs, they removed 3D from all models, but the prices mirrored the 2016 models. Clearly, there was no significant cost savings to LG by removing 3D. Otherwise, the B6 would have cost less than the C6, at the very least.

For passive 3D, the only costs involved are a cheap polarizing filter applied to the screen, some flimsy glasses, and maybe a couple of tweaks to the TV's software. Surely by 2016 and 2017, these manufacturing methods were so refined that it likely only cost LG a few dollars to include 3D.

I think that's why so many 3D fans are upset -- there was no real technical or financial reason to remove 3D from new TVs. 3D was made damn near perfect on 2016 OLEDs, and then LG yanked the feature from us.

Last edited by ryanmcv; 01-15-2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-14-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #29

Jul 2011
PA, USA

I'm not 100% but I would wager LG pulled 3D because the polarizing filter causes a dip in peak luminescence, which OLED has always struggled with (aside from black crush of course). That said, I'm really tempted to upgrade my C6 to the C9. The Motion, AutoCAL with built in pattern generator, and the ability to use dynamic tone mapping for standard HDR content is something that may be too good to pass up, just to hold onto 3D. Like others have said, I usually like 3D on the projector because it's more immersive on a larger screen. To each their own. I think the C9's will sell like hotcakes and I'm very interested in the upcoming reviews.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #30

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
When LG introduced their 2017 OLEDs, they removed 3D from all models, but the prices mirrored the 2016 models. Clearly, there was no significant cost savings to LG by removing 3D. Otherwise, the B6 would have cost less than the C6, at the very least.
It depends on what you mean by significant. Lets say it costs $10 to add 3D to a set. That amount is not enough to change the price of the set, which is a marketing decision. At the same time if they sell 1 million units per year it is a 10 million dollar expense.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb223 View Post
I'm not 100% but I would wager LG pulled 3D because the polarizing filter causes a dip in peak luminescence, which OLED has always struggled with (aside from black crush of course). That said, I'm really tempted to upgrade my C6 to the C9. The Motion, AutoCAL with built in pattern generator, and the ability to use dynamic tone mapping for standard HDR content is something that may be too good to pass up, just to hold onto 3D. Like others have said, I usually like 3D on the projector because it's more immersive on a larger screen. To each their own. I think the C9's will sell like hotcakes and I'm very interested in the upcoming reviews.
I remember reading a comparison of the B6 vs. C6 and the B6 was only marginally brighter than the C6. The filter makes a rather insignificant difference in brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3 View Post
It depends on what you mean by significant. Lets say it costs $10 to add 3D to a set. That amount is not enough to change the price of the set, which is a marketing decision. At the same time if they sell 1 million units per year it is a 10 million dollar expense.
Ok, then make the 3D models $10 more expensive. Hell, I'd pay a couple of hundred extra dollars for a 3D model.

Or make 3D exclusive to the premium OLED models (E-series and above). I'm sure the profit margins are much higher on those.

Last edited by ryanmcv; 01-18-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
cbb223 (01-19-2019), HDTV1080P (01-19-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Tags
lg 2019 oled, neil robinson, value electronics