Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$52.00

The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA Tour (PS4)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4)
$52.23
20 hrs ago
Fallout 76 (PS4)
$159.97

Punch Line (PS4)
$22.12

ARK: Survival Evolved (PS4)
$39.99
18 hrs ago
Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
$28.12
15 hrs ago
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
$29.99

Farming Simulator 19 (PS4)
$39.99

Divinity: Original Sin II (PS4)
$39.82

Fallout 76 (PS4)
$49.99

Quantic Dream Collection (PS4)
$37.13

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

View Poll Results: When do you think PS5 will be announced?
2018 6 3.43%
2019 60 34.29%
2020 83 47.43%
2021 26 14.86%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #981
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I never wanted to anyway. Why would I put additional wear on a $300 console when a $50 player works just as well?

No, it requires a one-time internet connection to activate Blu-ray and DVD functionality.
The PS3 and PS4 are far more reliable than a £50 player.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #982

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
But stand-alone players are always going to be easily replaceable with brand new players. Each console only stays in production for around 10 years. I have no doubt I'm still going to be playing PS3 & PS4 games 50 years from now so I want to make sure that each console lasts as long as possible.

It's moot at this point anyway since PS4 can't play UHD Blu-rays. My $50 UHD player works perfectly.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #983
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Actually, my bad.

I didn’t account that Penguin bought a PS4 Pro. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Pro should have come with BD playback @ Launch in 2016.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #984
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
The fat PS3 literally took over 1,000 of my BD movies with 0 errors since it launched in 2006 for me.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (01-19-2019), Steedeel (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #985
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
The fat PS3 literally took over 1,000 of my BD movies with 0 errors since it launched in 2006 for me.
Same, 700 discs here though, not 1,000. .
Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #986
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
But stand-alone players are always going to be easily replaceable with brand new players. Each console only stays in production for around 10 years. I have no doubt I'm still going to be playing PS3 & PS4 games 50 years from now so I want to make sure that each console lasts as long as possible.

It's moot at this point anyway since PS4 can't play UHD Blu-rays. My $50 UHD player works perfectly.
False economy. You would probably go through four or five cheap players in that time. Why wouldn’t the PS3 or PS4 not play your discs in future? I’m expecting mine to last a long time. My PS3 is still reliable and I can play blurays without issue.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #987

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Actually, my bad.

I didn’t account that Penguin bought a PS4 Pro. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Pro should have come with BD playback @ Launch in 2016.
It didn't. I believe that Sony saves money on licensing fees by requiring a download to play Blu-rays and DVDs. It means that all the PlayStation 4s that never activate the functionality are legally never classified as Blu-ray players.

Quote:
False economy. You would probably go through four or five cheap players in that time. Why wouldn’t the PS3 or PS4 not play your discs in future? I’m expecting mine to last a long time. My PS3 is still reliable and I can play blurays without issue.
I've had 3 Blu-ray players and 2 PlayStation 3s fail over the past 10 years. So the PS3 is more reliable, but not by a wide margin. It's also less about the economics and more about the the fact that since each console is only manufactured for a short time I would never want to do anything that makes them last a shorter time.

If my PS3s fail decades from now it could potentially be difficult to find a replacement that is in great condition, it was only in production for about 11 years. Movie players never have that issue, players are manufactured for many decades (often even for many years after they've stopped being popular). And since I expect the Blu-ray format to remain profitable for many many decades I don't think there is any chance that I will ever be unable to buy a brand new Blu-ray player.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 01-19-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
Derb (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #988
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
It didn't. I believe that Sony saves money on licensing fees by requiring a download to play Blu-rays and DVDs. It means that all the PlayStation 4s that never activate the functionality are legally never classified as Blu-ray players.

I've had 3 Blu-ray players and 2 PlayStation 3s fail over the past 10 years. So the PS3 is more reliable, but not by a wide margin. It's also less about the economics and more about the the fact that since each console is only manufactured for a short time I would never want to do anything that makes them last a shorter time.

If my PS3s fail decades from now it could potentially be difficult to find a replacement that is in great condition, it was only in production for about 11 years. Movie players never have that issue, players are manufactured for many decades (often even for many years after they've stopped being popular). And since I expect the Blu-ray format to remain profitable for many many decades I don't think there is any chance that I will ever be unable to buy a brand new Blu-ray player.
That seems overly optimistic to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #989

Apr 2017

There are literally dozens of companies making Blu-ray players. I quickly looked on Amazon and found players from all these companies: Sony, Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, Sanyo, Magnavox, LG, Yamaha, iVid, JVC, RCA, Slyvania, Insignia, Dynex, Digix, Cambridge, Onkyo, Orei, Naviskauto, Azend, Cutrip, Wonnie, Ueme, and Maxmade. Most of them are also still making brand new DVD players as well.

I just can't imagine a scenario in which all of them stop. Even if many of the major studios stop making Blu-ray discs and a many of the major electronics companies stop making players there will always be a market and no company has control over it. This is very different from consoles where only Sony has the ability to make PlayStation consoles and games.

With that being the case I will not use any of my consoles for anything that I can do on other devices. I use them only for playing games and all of my games are on disc or cartridge.

Bringing this back on topic: hopefully in the future backwards compatibility becomes standard so this becomes much less of an issue but I don't see that as likely. Even if PS5 plays all PS4 discs I don't expect PS6, PS7, PS8, etc. to also play PS4 discs. Consoles that have backwards compatibility have rarely supported more than one generation back.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 01-19-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #990
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Backwards compatibility never really became a thing until disk based consoles and that almost exclusively started with Sony having multiple consoles support previous gens up until during PS3s post launch they scrapped it and never bothered for PS4.

PS5 onwards though the X86 architecture that games are designed around is what's supposed to make it perfect logical and feasible for backwards compatibility to remain. The only thing i want to see though is a nee high capacity near instant read speed disk format or similar technology because i'm getting sick of storing games on a HDD. Most constsntly run out of space and have a whole cycle of delete, install and repeat.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #991

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
PS5 onwards though the X86 architecture that games are designed around is what's supposed to make it perfect logical and feasible for backwards compatibility to remain.
It is very likely that PS5 will have similar architecture as the PS4, thus making backwards compatibility easy to achieve. But it's a big leap to assume that all of Sony's future consoles will retain that same architecture.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #992
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
It is very likely that PS5 will have similar architecture as the PS4, thus making backwards compatibility easy to achieve. But it's a big leap to assume that all of Sony's future consoles will retain that same architecture.
I wouldn’t say its a big leap at all. Gaming is becoming a more service oriented space to try and cater for multiple platforms with content under a single banner. Think Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. as examples.

Sony keeping the x86 architecture makes it easy to compatibility those games on PC etc. where the architectures allow easy porting. I think Sony will continue to make games consoles, but the gaming industry is going to undergo a change where platforms of closes gaming systems are less important than a branded entertainment service hub for gaming.

As long as console gamers that want a hardware device dedicated to and fully exploited to play a game as good as possible on that device, i'll stay gaming and likely start off at launch.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #993

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I wouldn’t say its a big leap at all. Gaming is becoming a more service oriented space to try and cater for multiple platforms with content under a single banner. Think Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. as examples.
If gaming becomes focused on streaming then obviously nothing will play discs of any kind, let alone discs from previous systems.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #994
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
If gaming becomes focused on streaming then obviously nothing will play discs of any kind, let alone discs from previous systems.
I think we're gonna have a transition period and i've mentioned in the past that developing countries with little to no internet or slow speeds could still be a source of good revenue if manufacturers keep a disk based drive.

Consumers like physical media. Streaming has drawbacks. If anything, having a disk based system running on physical hardware augmented by cloud based tech to enhance visuals, that would be a dream boat solution.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #995
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
The PS4 can do CDs. Sony ain’t having that.

Don’t assume Sony will give gamers that option with PS5.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #996
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

Huh?
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM   #997
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
Huh?
LOL I THINK what he's trying to say is even though the PS4 has the capability of playing audio CD's, Sony is inexplicably blocking it by not adding software support for it. I think he's saying that even IF the PS5 has the technical capability of supporting BC, that doesn't guarantee that Sony is going to allow it.

Let me help you guys out here. Sony is GOING to support PS4 backwards compatibility on PS5. Stop devoting a moments concern about that. It's going to happen. Sony would be batshit insane not to allow it.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #998
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
[Show spoiler]LOL I THINK what he's trying to say is even though the PS4 has the capability of playing audio CD's, Sony is inexplicably blocking it by not adding software support for it. I think he's saying that even IF the PS5 has the technical capability of supporting BC, that doesn't guarantee that Sony is going to allow it.

Let me help you guys out here. Sony is GOING to support PS4 backwards compatibility on PS5. Stop devoting a moments concern about that. It's going to happen. Sony would be batshit insane not to allow it.
This is almost certain to be the case. With Microsoft adding BC to their features, Sony will want to offer a comparable feature with their most recent “market dominating” high end console content. Many PS4 games are still frequently played by the userbase. Having BC, regardless of whether we will use it or not, will be a massive psychological draw towards the purchase of a next generation console to a fairly decent chunk of the PS gaming community.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #999
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
LOL I THINK what he's trying to say is even though the PS4 has the capability of playing audio CD's, Sony is inexplicably blocking it by not adding software support for it. I think he's saying that even IF the PS5 has the technical capability of supporting BC, that doesn't guarantee that Sony is going to allow it.
Dat is correct sir.

Didn’t have time to formulate the explanation more clearer during my time making said post.

We know Sony hasn’t confirmed future plans regarding BC literally at all for next generation consoles under their brand going forward. We assume they will because MS is playing that card. MS is doing everything to please consumers ever since the 2013 launch because they have to remain competitive. Sony isn’t in that situation. Yeah they received backlash from Crossplay & essentially are now beta testing it to avoid negative PR. That’s the only reason. Not from a business one. Sony is now focused on giving us news regarding their exclusive PS4 games line-up. Makes sense. They want people to buy their consoles.

PlayStation as a whole hasn’t been about past. They look to further gaming in “what’s the next big thing we have?” Underneath the PR speech, I see them looking at the current climate of gaming now. They see billions of dollars invested by gamers from digital content & re-occurring monetization within third party developers. This gen alone has spiked MTX to the point that a single $400M produced game nets them lower return than a $20M produced game from 3rd because of monetization schemes from mobile entertainment which has been easily creeping into our AAA games @ full retail. It’s actually sick how much money “new” MTX games have gotten from consoles through the transition.

I do believe Sony can & will tackle both next gen games to create a balance of great exclusive AAA games even if it nets them a loss just to have a console gamer friendly non-PR disaster which would likely “trend” obviously in the negative. For those casuals, just keep an eye out on what games are available with MTX & from what publishers. The most successful game of this generation in terms of MTX is fortnite. When we have a F2P game making $3 billion in 2018 alone, don’t think Sony is just thinking.. “Well that’s nice, let’s make a game with no monetization.”

BC also sits negativity amongst the MTX model. Probably won’t stop EA or Activision next gen if BC is a thing with PS5. Casuals won’t care though & that is the real problem with modern gaming. Look no further than EA banking $800M on FIFA 18. At this point it wouldn’t be a surprise to me that those MTX earnings were “disappointing” to them.

Anyway, getting side tracked..

It’s a waiting game & yes the PS5 is capable of BC. Does Sony want to do it from a business standpoint is the question?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4