Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Toy Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Evil Dead 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Toy Story 3 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Greatest Showman 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
18 hrs ago
Shadow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.58

Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Captain America: The First Avenger 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.45
3 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
20 hrs ago
The Natural 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #81
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
1-Improved Image Quality
#2 - see #1
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #82
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Never, ever will I ever upgrade to 4K.
It’s a total waste of time and money. No difference at all with both audio and video.

Jk......
I’ve never trolled before So i thought I’d give it a try one time at least.
In all seriousness, I’m getting close to upgrading both my monitor and projector here soon. I’ve been waiting for pricing to come down on PJ’s and they're getting there.

But to answer the question, my faves (which is a ton) will be upgraded and whatever already has a sub par Blu-ray transfer will be upgraded. This seems to be the genereal consensus already. Getting close guys!!
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #83

Feb 2017

I would buy a 4K version of a film only if:

1. itís a film that begs to be seen in 4K HDR whether itís the cinematography, VFX, or Production Design. If itís just an average comedy or drama, Iíd pass.

2. The soundtrack has to be a worthy upgrade from the Blu-ray or superlative to it whether possible.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #84
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentric View Post
Am a simple guy, I see lovely aitch dee are and improved compression, I buy.
i liek improovd compreshun as wel!1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
Ya got me. But I'll give Moon a chance if the price is right, Drive is another one that might look great.

I'm still wondering exactly what the regrading process is though, because I've heard tales of grading on Hollywood movies where they're down to the level of tracking and color correcting loads and loads of individual objects in the shots and I can't see them redoing all that work. Moreover many HDR regrades still seem very close the the original SDR versions which to me suggests they're retooling the old projects somehow, maybe even doing the HDR "by eye", which perhaps doesn't always give you quite the same accuracy and impressive results as doing it from scratch from the source, getting everything into proper scene light and ACES and all that.
With the absolute greatest of respect and trying desperately not sound like a condescending prick - "it's too late for that, Geoff", come on you were all thinking it - I reckon you're overthinking it a bit too much and you're letting that get in the way of what you could be experiencing. Maybe it's your mind's way of stopping you from buying everything on UHD

If you haven't seen most of the 2K DI movies you profess to dislike on UHD - hey, we can't force you to watch GI Joe - then you wouldn't know that the majority really aren't just the current version with a little cherry on top, they genuinely do have significant increases in dynamic range, not just brightness but actual visible highlight (and sometimes lowlight) information. Heck, not only range but there can also be increases in spatial resolution and chroma resolution as well, very saturated primaries tend to lose an a lot of information in 1080p 4:2:0 vs 2160p 4:2:0.

When it comes to all dat editorial/grading juju then I don't think they're all starting over from scratch, it'd be too expensive. On several releases I can see the power windows in the same places on the UHD as the BD, while sometimes the BD will show a window where the UHD does not and vice versa, this usually happens when the black level is quite radically altered between the two versions and so is showing something we weren't intended to see...but as I said, I can see the windows on plain old SDR 709 Blu when the wind is right, and long before UHD came long as it's especially obvious on older BD transfers from DI, so it's not some exclusive HDR problem: it comes down to whoever's twiddling the nobs and not paying attention, be it for an SDR 709 trim pass or a new HDR 2020 workup.

Are they as good as what they absolutely could be if everything was started over from scratch? Maybe, maybe not, but when many of them tonk the regular BD quite handily anyway then I'll still take it.
Thanks given by:
newtonp01 (Today), vincentric (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #85

Oct 2016
Australia

A cheap enough price.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #86
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Coming home from the office on Tuesdays and seeing my Amazon order on my porch is a rush. It makes Monday’s almost bearable. Almost...
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #87
Power Member

Feb 2013
Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
Ya got me. But I'll give Moon a chance if the price is right, Drive is another one that might look great.
I'd kindly recommend checking out MoS as well even if the movie itself isn't your cup of tea. The highlight details and grain look great throughout. I think next to Goodfellas, MoS is one of the more underrated titles out there as far as UHD PQ is concerned, it looks great.
Thanks given by:
ROSS.T.G. (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #88

Jan 2013

Recently I've focused on steelbooks. So I only rebuy if its a new 4k steelbook that Im upgrading from the blu. Other than that I can wait for sales.
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #89
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentric View Post
I'd kindly recommend checking out MoS as well even if the movie itself isn't your cup of tea. The highlight details and grain look great throughout. I think next to Goodfellas, MoS is one of the more underrated titles out there as far as UHD PQ is concerned, it looks great.
Yep, even the grain looks marvelloso despite its "2K" status.
Old Today, 12:51 AM   #90
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
Isnít that generally subjective? There are so many films in which the reviewer says the picture quality is improved with the 4k but itís not a large improvement... do you still buy those? That would be true in nearly 99% cases.
Colors and compression tends to be better even for 2K sourced material.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #91
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Colors and compression tends to be better even for 2K sourced material.
Yeah, and the "in nearly 99% of cases" thing is patently bullshit.
Old Today, 03:34 AM   #92

Jul 2012

Honestly, it usually depends on the current blu-ray. Blade Runner blu-ray is that old VC-1 codec, so even though the 4K is obviously based on the same master, its great seeing it with a modern codec with the improved color contrast.

On the flip side, say, Schindler's List blu-ray still looks and sounds fantastic on my 4KTV. I'm not paying $20 for an upgrade that frankly just isn't that substantial in my eyes and ears.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies