Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
23 hrs ago
The Craft 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
23 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
23 hrs ago
Lifeforce 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
23 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$82.26
16 hrs ago
Cat People 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
23 hrs ago
Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
23 hrs ago
Fall (Blu-ray)
$10.99
42 min ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
42 min ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
23 hrs ago
Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2023, 11:48 PM   #361
prkchopexpress prkchopexpress is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
prkchopexpress's Avatar
 
May 2016
91
1389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Who cares what other people think? Why are you letting other people's opinions affect yours?
not to get too intellectual or anything….

i hate the idea of people who only like stuff as a joke or like something ironically. it’s anti art. and it’s insulting to the movie. but it also says, you didn’t understand the movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:49 PM   #362
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
in a house, surrounded by cats and dogs
8
826
173
2
Default

It's almost as though... I mean, this might be a stretch... everyone has their own opinion.

Is that possible?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
tcripe (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:49 PM   #363
HipsterTrash HipsterTrash is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HipsterTrash's Avatar
 
Mar 2019
Canada
2
2136
Default

a) There was no chance Goth would be nominated. Pearl is her movie to shine but it wasn't going to be nominated for jack. Sublime performance though, which will lead her to a netflix drama in which she gets a nom.

b) It's bogus that the usuals like Spielberg and Deakins get noms when they've won enough already and don't need to take up a spot. Love boths work tremendously but I just feels slightly wasted.

c) Top Gun Maverick should have gotten a Best Cinematography. Fact.

d) Hurts to see The Northman get nothing. At least technical.

e) RRR love is sweet and I hope they do something special during the show for them.

f) Lastly, I'm rooting for Everything Everywhere All at Once baby. Give 'em the 11!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:53 PM   #364
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterTrash View Post
a) There was no chance Goth would be nominated. Pearl is her movie to shine but it wasn't going to be nominated for jack. Sublime performance though, which will lead her to a netflix drama in which she gets a nom.

b) It's bogus that the usuals like Spielberg and Deakins get noms when they've won enough already and don't need to take up a spot. Love boths work tremendously but I just feels slightly wasted.

c) Top Gun Maverick should have gotten a Best Cinematography. Fact.

d) Hurts to see The Northman get nothing. At least technical.

e) RRR love is sweet and I hope they do something special during the show for them.

f) Lastly, I'm rooting for Everything Everywhere All at Once baby. Give 'em the 11!
The best nomination should be the winner regardless if one of the nominees has won it several times in the past. And the reverse is true, a nominee shouldn’t be given a pity award if they have been nominated several times without winning. It should be the best nominee in the category that should win. Period.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
prkchopexpress (01-25-2023), RCRochester (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:54 PM   #365
prkchopexpress prkchopexpress is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
prkchopexpress's Avatar
 
May 2016
91
1389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
It's almost as though... I mean, this might be a stretch... everyone has their own opinion.

Is that possible?
ok troll. you really got me with that one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:56 PM   #366
spanky87 spanky87 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
spanky87's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
34
84
2792
638
28
57
Default

Poll: Blanchett vs Yeoh

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=358822
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:27 AM   #367
mjvmovieman mjvmovieman is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
mjvmovieman's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
136
1
2
3
266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
Everything Everywhere All At Once is an enjoyable film. But at this point, I think it is a bit overpraised. The choices the past decade or so truly reveal the lack of quality films coming out of Hollywood now.
I was underwhelmed by the film too. Though I'm stoked for Ke Huy Quan to win. Here's to hoping both him and Spielberg share a photo holding their Oscars together. That would be great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:34 AM   #368
prkchopexpress prkchopexpress is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
prkchopexpress's Avatar
 
May 2016
91
1389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterTrash View Post
Hurts to see The Northman get nothing. At least technical.
my favorite of the year for the majority of the year until i saw decision to leave.

i could understand if you don’t like period pieces, ok. whatever, but the staging of that movie was A+. that first battle scene was one of the best scenes of the year.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HipsterTrash (01-25-2023), Monterey Jack (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:04 AM   #369
BluCollector13 BluCollector13 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BluCollector13's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Los Angeles, CA
128
1797
1356
151
30
135
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterTrash View Post
b) It's bogus that the usuals like Spielberg and Deakins get noms when they've won enough already and don't need to take up a spot. Love boths work tremendously but I just feels slightly wasted.
Deakins, I agree with, even though I did like the cinematography of "Empire of Light". It and "Elvis"'s space could have easily gone to "The Batman" and "Nope".
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HipsterTrash (01-25-2023), rsp_clark (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:52 AM   #370
MI125 MI125 is offline
Member
 
MI125's Avatar
 
Dec 2022
5
156
342
32
46
41
Default

Pulling for Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:53 AM   #371
50strat54 50strat54 is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
50strat54's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvmovieman View Post
I was underwhelmed by the film too. Though I'm stoked for Ke Huy Quan to win. Here's to hoping both him and Spielberg share a photo holding their Oscars together. That would be great.
Didn’t realize Short Round was also nominated. An even more incredible comeback than Fraser. Go Ke!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:42 AM   #372
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
646
5684
27
255
6
Default

I used to make an effort to see every Best Picture nominee every year.
This was a lot easier when there were only five nominees, and it was a lot easier before they started nominating movies that could only be seen via certain streaming services.

These days. I’m happily disengaged, for the most part. I got tired of feeling compelled to see movies that I did not even know existed until two weeks before the ceremony and that I would have already forgotten about two weeks after the ceremony.

Still, it’s entertaining to see the similar pattern every year.

1. Every year, there is one Best Picture nominee that is unlikely to get the award because it is too intelligent. Quiz Show, The Reader, Capote, Atonement, Phantom Thread, and probably Tar this year. This is not necessarily a criticism of the masses. It is simply an observation that these movies are too coldly cerebral to cry out for Best Picture.

2. Every year, there seems to be one cloyingly-sentimental Oscar Bait movie that has had no other purpose to be made except to show up on a Best Picture nominee list. Crash, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Green Book, King Richard, etc.

3. There is usually a movie that should have won Best Picture and probably did win Best Picture in a better multiverse world. Get Out, The Thin Red Line, King Kong, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Winter’s Bone, The Tree of Life, Promising Young Woman, Black Panther, etc.

4. There is usually an ”Ohhhh! Look how subversive the Academy is! Except that you won’t remember this movie a week from now!” movie. Shakespeare in Love, Birdman, Little Miss Sunshine, etc. I’m getting this vibe from the Triangle of Sadness trailers, which make it look as though someone took what could have been a solid good horror movie and made it an insufferable “black comedy satire.”

5. Ever so often, there is a genuinely deserving Best Picture Winner that restores my faith in people. Unforgiven, Moonlight, No Country For Old Men, Parasite, The Silence of the Lambs, etc.


A part of me wants Top Gun: Maverick to win, because it put people back in theater seats, because it is a celebration of practical special effects, and because its lead character is portrayed as a genuinely heroic and capable guy instead of being portrayed as a laughably inept burnout who exudes none of the traits that made his character from a past film memorable in the first place and who had to be coerced back into heroic action by an uncannily insightful Baby Leia or Rey type.

Another part of me wants Everything Everywhere All At Once to win because I adore the movie and everyone who made it or starred in it. I just wish that the hot dog fingers didn’t gross me out so much.

Other thoughts…

I want Angela Bassett to win Best Supporting Actress for her role in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

I want Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan to win the respective Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor awards for their roles in Everything Everywhere All At Once.

I do still want to see The Banshees of Inisherin.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 01-25-2023 at 03:08 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
captveg (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:18 AM   #373
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine Mia Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
No, no, and no.
Ok, if you say so. ..Cate Blanchett?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:23 AM   #374
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine Pearl / Mia Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbuffguy View Post
People complaining about Goth leave me with one question:

1. Did you even watch that POS movie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
Yeah, I was literally shocked when I saw people upset about her omission and thought it was a joke at first. It was an over the top performance that was quite silly. It fit the film well and worked for the tone of the film, but this isn't an award winning performance by an means. Feel like I'm in Everything Everywhere All At Once and entered some alternate universe.
Personally I saw the humor (horror) in it, and I went along with it.
It's all fun @ the movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:48 AM   #375
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine Top Gun: Maverik / 6 Oskar Nominations

Which Oskar (if any) Top Gun: Maverik could win? ...Best Sound, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, "Hold my Hand" (Musik / Best Original Song)?
...Writing / Best Adapted Skreenplay? ... Best Pikture?

I'd say "Hold my Hand" (Lady Gaga and BloodPop)?

What sez you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:50 AM   #376
xbs2034 xbs2034 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Which Oskar (if any) Top Gun: Maverik could win? ...Best Sound, Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, "Hold my Hand" (Music / Best Original Song)?
...Writing / Best Adapted Screenplay? ... Best Picture?

I'd say "Hold my Hand" (Lady Gaga and BloodPop)?

What sez you?
Sound feels like it’s best shot at the moment. Probably would’ve been the favorite in cinematography had it been nominated
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:08 AM   #377
Dunemoon Dunemoon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2013
Default

Sour grapes

https://deadline.com/2023/01/till-di...ub-1235240134/
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:33 AM   #378
prkchopexpress prkchopexpress is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
prkchopexpress's Avatar
 
May 2016
91
1389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
1. Every year, there is one Best Picture nominee that is unlikely to get the award because it is too intelligent. Quiz Show, The Reader, Capote, Atonement, Phantom Thread, and probably Tar this year. This is not necessarily a criticism of the masses. It is simply an observation that these movies are too coldly cerebral to cry out for Best Picture.

2. Every year, there seems to be one cloyingly-sentimental Oscar Bait movie that has had no other purpose to be made except to show up on a Best Picture nominee list. Crash, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Green Book, King Richard, etc.

3. There is usually a movie that should have won Best Picture and probably did win Best Picture in a better multiverse world. Get Out, The Thin Red Line, King Kong, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Winter’s Bone, The Tree of Life, Promising Young Woman, Black Panther, etc.

4. There is usually an ”Ohhhh! Look how subversive the Academy is! Except that you won’t remember this movie a week from now!” movie. Shakespeare in Love, Birdman, Little Miss Sunshine, etc. I’m getting this vibe from the Triangle of Sadness trailers, which make it look as though someone took what could have been a solid good horror movie and made it an insufferable “black comedy satire.”

5. Ever so often, there is a genuinely deserving Best Picture Winner that restores my faith in people. Unforgiven, Moonlight, No Country For Old Men, Parasite, The Silence of the Lambs, etc.


A part of me wants Top Gun: Maverick to win, because it put people back in theater seats, because it is a celebration of practical special effects, and because its lead character is portrayed as a genuinely heroic and capable guy instead of being portrayed as a laughably inept burnout who exudes none of the traits that made his character from a past film memorable in the first place and who had to be coerced back into heroic action by an uncannily insightful Baby Leia or Rey type.

Another part of me wants Everything Everywhere All At Once to win because I adore the movie and everyone who made it or starred in it. I just wish that the hot dog fingers didn’t gross me out so much.

Other thoughts…

I want Angela Bassett to win Best Supporting Actress for her role in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

I want Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan to win the respective Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor awards for their roles in Everything Everywhere All At Once.

I do still want to see The Banshees of Inisherin.
owl, i quite enjoy your thoughts, even though it seems like i don’t agree with them that frequently.

sometimes there are just a lot of great movies to come out. and it embarrassment of riches. sure ordinary people is good movie, but it doesn’t wow you like raging bull or hit you in the heart like the elephant man. not even mentioning heavens gate that wasn’t even nominated that head. sometimes you just get a couple all timers in the same year like double indemnity and gaslight. or barry lyndon and jaws.

i like more dark and edgy stuff. and that stuff usually doesn’t win. (would the academy have been ballsy enough to give awards to elle? no, unfortunately.)

so i guess i can kinda see sometimes that if a movie ends on a down one, maybe it won’t win. even though it absolutely should.

you mention maverick, it seems like you might dig the fabelmans if you haven’t seen it. it’s really about loving the magic of movies.

i haven’t seen them all. no personal interest in top gun or elvis. last year, coda was basically a sentimental tv movie.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:47 AM   #379
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine All Quiet on the Western Front vs Top Gun: Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
Sound feels like it’s best shot at the moment. Probably would’ve been the favorite in cinematography had it been nominated
Did you also see "All Quiet on the Western Front"?

If you did and if you were a member of AMPAS (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences), which one would you cast your vote for Best Sound and Best Cinematography between these two films here?
Assuming of course that Top Gun: Maverick would have received an Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:12 AM   #380
joshsquash729 joshsquash729 is offline
Power Member
 
joshsquash729's Avatar
 
Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY
183
624
1
3
Default

Really pulling for EEAAO to win as many as it can. It's a movie that's stayed with me in ways that most other movies haven't in as long as I can remember. I'd say Ke is a sure bet, and I have a good feeling about Michelle. I'd absolutely love it if Stephanie won Best Supporting Actress- it was a role that balanced so much, and I thought she did such a great job. She may be a newer actress, at least compared to the other 3, but she did just as good a job, yet I feel like very few people are talking about her performance, at least comparatively.

That said, I also thought Hong Chau did a fantastic job in The Whale, and wouldn't mind seeing her take it too. If neither Jamie or Stephanie take it, I'd love for her to. Don't get me wrong- Angela Bassett is a literal and figurative queen, and I thought she did a fantastic job, but it's such a different performance compared to the others, and doesn't quite reach the heights they did, at least for me.

Brendan is my hope for Best Actor. Austin Butler did a great job, don't get me wrong, but it was a little too flashy for my taste, and it feels like a shtick that's gone on too long with his "permanent" accent. I have no doubt he has a long, promising career ahead of him, but Brendan absolutely deserves it.

I wouldn't be surprised for Banshees to take a bunch home, but it just wasn't quite my cup of tea. Quite fine performances, especially by Barry Keoghan, but it dragged on a bit too much for me. As far as my biggest snubs, I'm bummed Nope and The Batman didn't get more love. At least Best Score for The Batman, and Best Sound for Nope- Jean Jacket's noises as it flew threw the sky still haunt me.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.