Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5)
$29.99

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$49.99

Control (PS5)
$39.99

Fifa 21 (PS5)
$59.94

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$24.99

Godfall (PS5)
$41.61

Maneater (PS5)
$29.00
4 hrs ago
Hitman 3 (PS5)
$49.94

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
$69.00

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

Override 2 (PS5)
$29.99

The Nioh Collection (PS5)
$69.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 03-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #661
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Add this to the list.

If you change HDR to SDR, the PS5 doesnít save your HDR adjustments.

But why would you even want to do that?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #662
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
But why would you even want to do that?
Why?

Because SDR content looks better in SDR.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #663
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Why?

Because SDR content looks better in SDR.
I always assumed that SDR content (i.e. unsupported HDR content) displayed in SDR regardless of whether HDR is enabled or not.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #664
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness2918 View Post
Finally got my hands on one yesterday (along with a Series X). Paid a little more then retail (not too much) but I’m glad to have it without going through the hassle anymore of constantly checking retailers.
Nice going Darkness. Two consoles at the same time gives you more options though I'd be overwhelmed for a minute since I'd want to play each unique game right away. Thankfully there aren't too many new games but even so.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:35 PM   #665
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Nice going Darkness. Two consoles at the same time gives you more options though I'd be overwhelmed for a minute since I'd want to play each unique game right away. Thankfully there aren't too many new games but even so.
I know what you mean, I still have a PS4 & Switch also. I try to not play more then 2-3 games at a time & nothing of the same genre. Like I wonít play 2 JRPGs at once.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM   #666

Sep 2016

Quote:
Add this to the list.

If you change HDR to SDR, the PS5 doesn’t save your HDR adjustments.

Just a comment on this, I've changed back and forth lately as playing an old PS4 SDR title or two, and PS5 hasn't lost its HDR adjustment yet when I switch back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I always assumed that SDR content (i.e. unsupported HDR content) displayed in SDR regardless of whether HDR is enabled or not.
It does that automatically on PS4, but not on PS5 for some reason, such is the wisdom of Sony. On PS5 it displays SDR content in an HDR Container. In some SDR games the game is otherwise washed out & colour off, e.g. Bloodborne. Sony may tweak how it treats SDR with a patch one day.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #667
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincanws View Post
Just a comment on this, I've changed back and forth lately as playing an old PS4 SDR title or two, and PS5 hasn't lost its HDR adjustment yet when I switch back to it.

It does that automatically on PS4, but not on PS5 for some reason, such is the wisdom of Sony. On PS5 it displays SDR content in an HDR Container. In some SDR games the game is otherwise washed out & colour off, e.g. Bloodborne. Sony may tweak how it treats SDR with a patch one day.
Mid tones get changed. (The 2nd adjustment)

Also yes, good example of what I mean about forced HDR on SDR. Colours do get washed out.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM   #668
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness2918 View Post
I know what you mean, I still have a PS4 & Switch also. I try to not play more then 2-3 games at a time & nothing of the same genre. Like I won’t play 2 JRPGs at once.
Cool. What are your thoughts of the PS5 so far Darkness?

I'll be positive and say after the updates, the PS5 is working great for rest mode which is what I loved about the PS4. Never before in gaming could I just start up seconds later from a game unless I paused it and kept it running overnight, but PS5 avoids that and goes into rest mode like the PS4. Great feature.

Otherwise, it's good at playing PS4 games better, and loads faster with better resolution. All stuff the PS4 Pro could do, so it'll really depend on the new games arriving in 2021 and beyond.

Fenyx Rising on PS5 looks great in 4K. I'm starting to appreciate 4K gaming more after switching to some 1080p or less games. For movies though, I think I'll appreciate 4K with CGI animated films the most. Alita Battle Angel 4K unfortunately looks very similar to 1080p unless I'm right next to the screen.

Overall, PS5 is doing well since November 13th, 2020. The design is weird at the top, but otherwise looks kind of neat. What's nice is the white stands out against the other black consoles, so I can see where to put the disc in when the room is dimly lit.

With the drought of PS5 games, I've loaded up my old Genesis and played some classics, and the old SMS too. The resolution looks like mud but the games are still fun.

PS5 games in order of favorite first:

Fenyx Rising PS5 (incredible game IMO)
Days Gone PS5 update
Watch Dogs Legion PS5 upgrade
Spider-Man Miles Morales PS5
Hitman 3 PS5

Cyberpunk PS4 on PS5.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #669
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

This might have already been mentioned but it seems the console doesnít spin up the disc every 15 mins or so anymore.

At least not when a Blu-ray Movie disc is inserted.

I had Spider-man in from launch and it would always spin up when I was doing other stuff on the console. So I ended up taking discs out. Iíve had a film in the disc drive for a few days and other than when you turn the console on the disc never spins up randomly.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #670
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryAtNight View Post
I talked to a sales associate (Electronics) at Walmart about the PS5 consoles the other day. He mentioned that he has not seen the console in-stock/available since its release in November. This may or may not be true, but it shows the difficulty in being able to buy one.

I playfully asked if he had any consoles hiding behind the counter, but no dice.
Mine has a sign that says out of stock and to check online. I almost get the feeling like they wonít be getting anymore into the store until the demand dies down but Iím not sure if I believe them or not.
Thanks given by:
VictoryAtNight (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #671
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

In all fairness Sony put out a press release saying that they wouldnít be selling PS5s in retail stores due to COVID.

Iím pretty sure some American stores have had them in but I certainly havenít seen anything at all delivered to brick and mortar stores in the UK. You canít even buy games or anything atm anyway as they are non essential.
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #672
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

We can still go into stores like Best Buy (Limited # of people) & I did see Systems & Games for all platforms for sale.

- the obvious not there, PS5 & Xbox SX, though they had a crap ton of Controllers.
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #673
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
In all fairness Sony put out a press release saying that they wouldnít be selling PS5s in retail stores due to COVID.

Iím pretty sure some American stores have had them in but I certainly havenít seen anything at all delivered to brick and mortar stores in the UK. You canít even buy games or anything atm anyway as they are non essential.
I was unaware of the press release but yeah theyíve definitely had them at the start. Plenty of controllers though as Derb mentioned.
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #674
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

PS5 plays Fenyx Rising really well. Though that game requires an update to get rid of the terrible screen tearing as the only flaw in the whole game for me so far technically. The game has never crashed a single time in over 30 hours now and I use rest mode every day several times. Incredible programming. Sad when that's actually a feature of a game these days considering Cyberpunk's nightmare...

Quote:

Is that for real? You can't go into the store and buy a video game for PS5? Which stores or all of them where you live? Is Best Buy still open but restricting and rejecting items for sale and telling people they can't buy it? A sign on the windows or aisles? I haven't heard that being enforced, but only suggested.

That's unbelievable if true. That's like taking away your freedom to enjoy a video game and is the government seizing control in a very blunt way, telling us our freedom to buy a form of entertainment is temporarily suspended because it's "non-essential" which is total BS. Corruption is more like it over whoever decided that rule if it's true.

It was suggested like that in the US when it first started, as if people were being discouraged from buying anything but food and supplies, which really upset a lot of people. But for the past year thankfully, we can buy any item in the store. Nothing is restricted due to stupid BS. Just limits on how much for supplies and food sometimes understandably.
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #675
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
PS5 plays Fenyx Rising really well. Though that game requires an update to get rid of the terrible screen tearing as the only flaw in the whole game for me so far technically. The game has never crashed a single time in over 30 hours now and I use rest mode every day several times. Incredible programming. Sad when that's actually a feature of a game these days considering Cyberpunk's nightmare...

Is that for real? You can't go into the store and buy a video game for PS5? Which stores or all of them where you live? Is Best Buy still open but restricting and rejecting items for sale and telling people they can't buy it? A sign on the windows or aisles? I haven't heard that being enforced, but only suggested.

That's unbelievable if true. That's like taking away your freedom to enjoy a video game and is the government seizing control in a very blunt way, telling us our freedom to buy a form of entertainment is temporarily suspended because it's "non-essential" which is total BS. Corruption is more like it over whoever decided that rule if it's true.

It was suggested like that in the US when it first started, as if people were being discouraged from buying anything but food and supplies, which really upset a lot of people. But for the past year thankfully, we can buy any item in the store. Nothing is restricted due to stupid BS. Just limits on how much for supplies and food sometimes understandably.
All non essential retail has been closed here since before Christmas. The only places that are open that sell games are supermarkets. Keep in mind Iím in Wales so others countries in the kingdom may have different rules but for us supermarkets have had to close off areas of the store that are deemed as non essential. So dvds cds games are all blocked off. You have to buy online if you want anything like that. The only thing thatís Classed as essential is basically food and alcohol.

Outside of supermarkets the only brick and mortar stores that sell games are HMV and GAME and both of those have been completely closed down with the exception of some click and collect service. You certainly canít walk in and browse anything.
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #676
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
All non essential retail has been closed here since before Christmas. The only places that are open that sell games are supermarkets. Keep in mind Iím in Wales so others countries in the kingdom may have different rules but for us supermarkets have had to close off areas of the store that are deemed as non essential. So dvds cds games are all blocked off. You have to buy online if you want anything like that. The only thing thatís Classed as essential is basically food and alcohol.

Outside of supermarkets the only brick and mortar stores that sell games are HMV and GAME and both of those have been completely closed down with the exception of some click and collect service. You certainly canít walk in and browse anything.
That does suck.

Looking at Real Time Data, the U.K. is sitting at #5 of #224 territories in terms of Covid cases. Hopefully next year things will turn around. Over 300M Vaccines have been administered worldwide.

I have noticed a downward trend in new cases the past few weeks. I guess there is hope.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (Today)
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #677
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Not to derail further, but yeah, the UK is doing better at the moment.
Schools opened up today for the first time this year.
Vaccine roll out is going well.
Numbers are coming down.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5