Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.93
21 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$9.81
 
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
12 hrs ago
Seven Heavenly Virtues: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34
 
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$22.95
 
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96
 
Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
 
The Glenn Miller Story (Blu-ray)
$15.57
 
Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #3841
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
active 3D on my Panny Plasma is really good. I have never seen 3d on an OLED to compare.
Oled 3D should have a slight advantage, but not a deal breaker if your panel is a beast like the ZD9 and its unmatched brightness
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 AM   #3842
NeilT NeilT is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Hey Guys, Always been a Follower of the Forum but, Never really been active... Anyways! I managed to pick up an C8 from best buy for 1699.99 and had to jump on it. This will be my first OLED and can't wait to try it in action, As soon as I get home from work...

Last edited by NeilT; 11-13-2018 at 03:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jibucha (11-13-2018), jvonl (11-13-2018), punisher (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #3843
jibucha jibucha is online now
Expert Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default LG OLED (8-Series) :: you're going to 'like it'

you're going to like it; just take the time to work with the settings, 'to your satisfaction'





Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
Hey Guys, Always been a Follower of the Forum but, Never really been active... Anyways! I managed to pick up an C8 from best buy for 1699.99 and had to jump on it. This will be my first OLED and can't wait to try it in action, As soon as I get home from work...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #3844
NeilT NeilT is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
you're going to like it; just take the time to work with the settings, 'to your satisfaction'
I most likely will as I was Stunned when I saw them Demo Avengers Infinity War.

Also, Any Recommended Settings i'll have to look into? I heard that you have to adjust something in the settings to make the picture not as Dim even when fiddling with Brightness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #3845
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
713
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
I most likely will as I was Stunned when I saw them Demo Avengers Infinity War.

Also, Any Recommended Settings i'll have to look into? I heard that you have to adjust something in the settings to make the picture not as Dim even when fiddling with Brightness.
Watch it for 250 viewing hours and get it professionally calibrated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #3846
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
I most likely will as I was Stunned when I saw them Demo Avengers Infinity War.

Also, Any Recommended Settings i'll have to look into? I heard that you have to adjust something in the settings to make the picture not as Dim even when fiddling with Brightness.

pop on.. Transformers :The Last Knight...one of the first 4k's I watched on my OLED..visually stunning!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #3847
RustinCohle RustinCohle is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Pittsburgh
924
88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Watch it for 250 viewing hours and get it professionally calibrated.
When you get your TV calibrated, does it have to be calibrated as how you’d normally watch it? Like does the calibrater guy have to wait till it’s dark out to come to my house and do it cause I mostly watch TV at night?

If they calibrate it during the day when it’s bright in my room, won’t it look different when I watch it at night? Just curious..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #3848
evoll evoll is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
1969
18
79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
When you get your TV calibrated, does it have to be calibrated as how you’d normally watch it? Like does the calibrater guy have to wait till it’s dark out to come to my house and do it cause I mostly watch TV at night?

If they calibrate it during the day when it’s bright in my room, won’t it look different when I watch it at night? Just curious..
When mine are calibrated they did a bright mode for daytime viewing, then we closed all the blinds and i have thick black curtains to darken the room so he could do the dark room sdr calibration. Then with room blacked out he did HDR/DV and it took about 5-6 hours then he was on his way to the next person on his list.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #3849
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
713
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
When you get your TV calibrated, does it have to be calibrated as how you’d normally watch it? Like does the calibrater guy have to wait till it’s dark out to come to my house and do it cause I mostly watch TV at night?

If they calibrate it during the day when it’s bright in my room, won’t it look different when I watch it at night? Just curious..
The calibrator does the ISF day/night modes as well as HDR modes and it has done in the dark.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #3850
punisher punisher is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
punisher's Avatar
 
May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE
2
131
Default

what if you are afraid of the dark ..lol...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
evoll (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #3851
NeilT NeilT is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
pop on.. Transformers :The Last Knight...one of the first 4k's I watched on my OLED..visually stunning!
Coincidentally, That's what I popped in after tweaking the settings to my Liking. I agree, It just POP's.

I also checked out Planet Earth 2/Blue Planet 2 since I watched those on my TCL P series. Yeah... No Contest, OLED blows it out of Existence. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #3852
NeilT NeilT is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Watch it for 250 viewing hours and get it professionally calibrated.
So, I don't want to get it Calibrated straight out of the box? How come?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #3853
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
713
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
So, I don't want to get it Calibrated straight out of the box? How come?
Some calibrators won't touch the set until it has at least 100-200 viewing hours on it (at least 200 hrs would be my recommendation). The reason for it is so it will get a more effective calibration (which was the case for plasma as well). If anyone else knows a bit more in detail, feel free to chime in.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NeilT (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #3854
NeilT NeilT is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Some calibrators won't touch the set until it has at least 100-200 viewing hours on it (at least 200 hrs would be my recommendation). The reason for it is so it will get a more effective calibration (which was the case for plasma as well). If anyone else knows a bit more in detail, feel free to chime in.
Wow, I did not know this. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 AM   #3855
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
713
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
Wow, I did not know this. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #3856
Kenbar Kenbar is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic2001 View Post
Here's my C7 after 14 months of use. A lot of blu rays, sports, news, video games and Netflix. But that rectangle in the middle, not sure what that's from, and it's what I find most distracting.

Attachment 211522
Ratings encountered that rectangle on their 2017 Oled testing. Had something to do with some calibration testing...to early during the manufacturing process...and is caused by over compensation of the area over a time. Why it is lighter rather than the typical darker BI (uneven wearing) normally seen. LG is aware the some unites have this problem and there is a fix as I understand it.

I see what looks to be "burn in" in other areas of the screen...and that cannot be fixed as you probably know.

I would give LG a call and ask them about repairing the rectangle.

"04/10/2018: We contacted LG regarding the strange results in week 4. LG engineers visited our lab a few days ago and were able to confirm the 25% window on the Live CNN and FIFA 18 TVs are a result of a factory issue (see our video here). OLED TVs are produced in a hot process, and after cooling a 25% window is shown on each panel. Some TVs which haven't cooled completely can produce invalid results for the lookup table used by the 'Pixel Refresh' function, causing this 25% window to become visible. Only some 55" OLED TVs were affected during part of 2017.
As this is not an issue with the panel itself, it is possible to apply a fix to the lookup table. LG will apply this fix to anyone who presents this issue to their support, for free, even after the warranty period has long expired. They have fixed our two affected TVs (see the uniformity photos below). Note that this doesn't fix other uniformity issues as the result of static content, only the 25% window caused by a factory defect. LG has also confirmed that there is variation between panels, which is why some OLED appear more prone to developing uniformity issues (as in the case with our Live CNN (200 nits) vs Live CNN (Max)."

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 AM.