Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
19 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
12 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ultraman Geed (Blu-ray)
$21.72
5 hrs ago
Ultraman Orb (Blu-ray)
$21.72
5 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74

Millennium Actress (Blu-ray)
$19.96
9 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Lion King (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 367 56.12%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 287 43.88%
Voters: 654. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #3881
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
Wow, that JFK set is really rare and hard to find.
A few pop up on eBay every now and then so be patient if you are looking for one. The set itself is rather nice and has almost a faux fabric texture to the outer case. It's a WEA pressing which I am not too familiar with so I'm hoping it won't be a rotter.

I've purchased from this seller before. He currently has a sealed copy for sale and accepts offers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JFK-Beyond-...oAAOSwT9lcmt17

Quote:
I hope you have an ac3 demodulator as the ac3 on Ghost and the Darkness is sublime. Incredible sound design in that film which still is not on BD. The DVD is a port of the LD master as well.
I do not have a demodulator yet but it is on my list. I'm sure the audio track sounds great though and yes it blows my mind how this is not on Blu-ray yet but this is just another reason why I decided to get into LaserDiscs, but it definitely started with the OT.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #3882
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Gonna break the seal on this one and spin it up...

Haven't seen it before, but I liked the director's other film Exotica...
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #3883
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I haven't seen that one but Exotica I have not watched in a long time and yet another title not available on Blu so I just found a minty copy on eBay.

Mia Kirshner though.....
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #3884

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Gonna break the seal on this one and spin it up...

Haven't seen it before, but I liked the director's other film Exotica...
Both Sweet Hereafter and Exotica are in the director's top 5 best IMHO.

Exotica is even better on a 2nd viewing after you understand the structure of the movie.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #3885

Feb 2012

I just picked up the 6 film Thin Man Collection box set, sealed, for $20 on eBay.

Also grabbed Thief of Hearts and Whispers in the Dark. Both are the international cuts with more explicit love scenes that never were released on the US dvds.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #3886
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmczy View Post
Hello Laserdisc fans!

I just bought a Pioneer DVL-919 to replace my old player that no longer works. I plan on using a LG 49'' 1080p LED TV.

Can someone give me advice on the best adapter I can purchase so I can watch laserdiscs on this TV?

Thank You!
The autoflip just went bad on mine so I don't think it's a question of IF but WHEN at this point. So just a heads up man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
Funny you mentioned this since the side B auto change recently went bad on mine. But I don't mind manually flipping the disc over.
Wellllllll looks like I jinxed myself good this time. My player (which I've had about a month) stopped doing the auto flip the other day. I thought it was strange and then the tray popped out automatically basically telling me to get up and flip the disc

I thought maybe it was an isolated event as the auto flip worked the next time I spun up a disc but then it started happening again (except the tray didn't eject) THEN I had a brand new LaserDisc out of of the shrink and spun it up. It started skipping like crazy so I was like I thought....all right well maybe the disc is bad. Tossed in another disc which I played recently and had zero problems with and that started skipping. The frames end up repeating themselves over and over.

Tested yet a third disc and it did the same thing. So I messaged the guy I purchased this from. He told me when I bought it that if I had any issues to let him know. So I almost think he knew I would have problems with it. So i dropped it off at his place yesterday (he's local but still a 2 hour trip) and he said he will look at it but parts are hard to find so we'll see. If he cannot fix it or it continues to not work properly I'm going ot ask for my money back. It's a bummer so now I'm back to using my old original Pioneer player from '91. It's funny that it still works flawlessly (except for the tray belt which can get stuck at times) but the fancy 919 has all these daggone issues.

Just my luck because I have a nice shipment of Japan LDs coming at the end of the week.

Last edited by sfmarine; 09-11-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #3887

Apr 2019
near St. Louis, MO

Yeah, I have three Pioneer LD players (given to me or from ebay). I've been rotating them in and out of my system every few months to reduce wear and tear.

Two are flippers, which of course means the laser emitter is on a track and physically moves to the other side of the disc. So far so good, but that gear-grindey sound makes me tense and I keep thinking the flip mechanism is going to poop out!

My old 1990 model otoh, requires me to get up and manually flip. But my instincts say the less moving parts/fancy features, the better for reliability.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #3888
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

My Pioneer DVL-909 still flips to the other side, but it always gets stuck during playback about a minute and a half into side B. If I pause and rewind a couple of seconds and then resume play it is all fine from there.

I was provided with instructions on how to adjust the sensitivity of this tracking mechanism in a simple photo "how to" image from one of our forum members here, but it involves opening up the player, making a slight adjustment, test the player, repeat if necessary until finding the sweet spot for it.

I haven't tried it yet because I'm chronically lazy; it looks easy to do, but potentially very time consuming to find the exact adjustment as it is a very sensitive thing.

I can post the image if anyone wants to see it as I saved it for a time when I am overcome with motivation.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #3889
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudeus View Post
Yeah, I have three Pioneer LD players (given to me or from ebay). I've been rotating them in and out of my system every few months to reduce wear and tear.

Two are flippers, which of course means the laser emitter is on a track and physically moves to the other side of the disc. So far so good, but that gear-grindey sound makes me tense and I keep thinking the flip mechanism is going to poop out!

My old 1990 model otoh, requires me to get up and manually flip. But my instincts say the less moving parts/fancy features, the better for reliability.
Now I'm worried..... I know there are a lot of moving parts within those flipper players but it seems like they are fragile and prone to breaking. I guess I just have to be very gentle with it and best of luck to those who decide to have theirs shipped.

Not sure when my guy will have it repaired or if he even can repair it. Fingers are crossed at this point.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #3890
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Those flipper players have more moving parts so they would be more prone to break.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #3891
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

I know I'd rather have a robust player over one that can play both sides.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #3892
Expert Member

Jan 2011

It's the nature of the format to have issues over time. There's many more complexities to the workings of a player compared to the standardization of DVD and onwards. My first ever player was a d702 where it would jam on the side flip so I had to jump up and stop it before it hit the break otherwise it would jam and freeze necessitating a power cycle. Then the rf level started going so I had to tweak it to avoid sizzling crispy sounds on the digital track etc.

As long as you have a good working player with clean video output, no CLV smear and digital audio out-baby it and consider yourself lucky.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-13-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #3893
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Well guys...I said I had a big package coming in so here it is. I found the US-based seller online and he has a shop on LDDB. Just shoot me a pm for his info if you want to check out his store.

Here is what I got from him. Some great artwork!
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (09-16-2019), jmb1381 (09-15-2019), Vanguard (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #3894

May 2009

Those covers are awesome.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-15-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:19 AM   #3895
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Wow, immaculate Japanese discs with OBIs from a US seller? Fantastic job. Japanese discs get harder and harder to find and usually carry a premium price tag.
Fifth Element and Starship Troopers are rot free unlike the US counterparts. I did get the rot free harder to find Pioneer pressing of TFE but they're very hard to find and it's usually easier to get the Japanese one with the alternate art.

I have the US Thin Red Line and it's a great late release disc. Very hard to find of course. The TPM Japanese disc is essential for all LD libraries.
Thanks given by:
sfmarine (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 AM   #3896
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Quote:
Wow, immaculate Japanese discs with OBIs from a US seller? Fantastic job. Japanese discs get harder and harder to find and usually carry a premium price tag.
Fifth Element and Starship Troopers are rot free unlike the US counterparts. I did get the rot free harder to find Pioneer pressing of TFE but they're very hard to find and it's usually easier to get the Japanese one with the alternate art.

I have the US Thin Red Line and it's a great late release disc. Very hard to find of course. The TPM Japanese disc is essential for all LD libraries.
Yeah it was a really nice haul and the seller frequents Japan every few months and only brings back pristine/immaculate LDs. The rot factor was the main reason for going after the Japanese versions of Starship Troopers & The Fifth Element. Followed closely by the awesome cover art. I think even if the US counterparts were rot free, I’d still get the Japanese versions because of the awesome art work. I just learned recently that TFE did receive a new transfer by Pioneer USA which is rot free. Probably no need to pick that up now though.

TPM keeps going higher and higher on eBay so I figured it was time to get it before it really goes up in value.

I totally just realized you are formally duckyasuckr on Youtube and we are usually in the Sam Hatch/Culturedog live chats. What’s up man? I know you talked about how The English Patient Criterion LD has the best artwork. So you may have missed another pick up of mine. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3850

Last edited by sfmarine; 09-16-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #3897
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
Well guys...I said I had a big package coming in so here it is. I found the US-based seller online and he has a shop on LDDB. Just shoot me a pm for his info if you want to check out his store.

Here is what I got from him. Some great artwork!

I had no idea Thin Red Line was on LD...
Old 09-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #3898
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post

I had no idea Thin Red Line was on LD...
Yeah....it is considered a late release but luckily doesn't go for the big money some other late releases go for. It seems to go for the $30 range. Here is what the US release looks like which is the typical standard cover for the most part which the DVD got as well.

And some nice close up shots of my Japanese release without the OBI. This thing is pristine!

Last edited by sfmarine; 09-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion