Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Various Artists: The King and I (iTunes)
$10.99

Various Artists: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (iTunes)
$6.99

David Yazbek: Evil Monkey Man (iTunes)
$11.99

Amanda Shires: Carrying Lightning (iTunes)
$9.99

Jered Sanders: Nobody Famous. (iTunes)
$9.99

a-ha: The Singles 1984-2004 (iTunes)
$11.99

Mozzy: Down to the Wire (iTunes)
$13.99

Anita Ward: Ring My Bell (iTunes)
$3.99

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats: The Night Creeper (iTunes)
$9.99

Michael Bolton: Michael Bolton (iTunes)
$8.99

Fleetwood Mac: Tusk (iTunes)
$12.99

Ministry: Rio Grande Dub(ya) (iTunes)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Default Atmos front speaker placement

I apologize if this has been covered. I have a 5.3 setup. If I want to use/hear Atmos, could I place any type of bookshelf speaker on top of my 2 front towers to accomplish this? Do they need to point up?
Old 05-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue View Post
I apologize if this has been covered. I have a 5.3 setup. If I want to use/hear Atmos, could I place any type of bookshelf speaker on top of my 2 front towers to accomplish this? Do they need to point up?
Yes, any type of speaker. Yes, point them up but at angle that the reflection would hit your listening position.

There are all kinds of speaker companies that make the Atmos modules for putting on top of tower speakers. If you got a pair of those, I'd put them on your surround towers, not the front ones.

Are in-ceiling speakers not doable? Since you're asking about bookshelves, I guess not, right.
What abut bookshelves mounted on your side walls and pointed down to your listening position?

Just a couple of thoughts.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Yes, any type of speaker. Yes, point them up but at angle that the reflection would hit your listening position.

There are all kinds of speaker companies that make the Atmos modules for putting on top of tower speakers. If you got a pair of those, I'd put them on your surround towers, not the front ones.

Are in-ceiling speakers not doable? Since you're asking about bookshelves, I guess not, right.
What abut bookshelves mounted on your side walls and pointed down to your listening position?

Just a couple of thoughts.
Thanks for the reply. Wall or ceiling mount are not doable at this time. Why the surround towers over the front? In my setup, putting them on the front would be significantly easier for me as my back surrounds are kind of offset due to the room layout.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

I can't imagine just any speaker would work well at all as up-firers.

You're better getting dedicated upfirers designed to sit on top of tower speakers. They are designed for this. Up-firing is a delicate art as it is, if they aren't right you loose the effect.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/...ified-speaker/

https://ca.pioneer-av.com/product/sp-t22a-lr/

https://www.elac.com/category/dolby-...d-on-speakers/

These might be along the lines of what you are seeking.

Dolby Atmos is pretty awesome and well worth getting into.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/...ified-speaker/

https://ca.pioneer-av.com/product/sp-t22a-lr/

https://www.elac.com/category/dolby-...d-on-speakers/

These might be along the lines of what you are seeking.

Dolby Atmos is pretty awesome and well worth getting into.
I could be wrong, but for this type of thing, I would assume it would not make a huge deal on which brand, right? I went with the Sony pair since I could grab at BB real quick...

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/s...eakers/p/sscse
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Just noticed I went with the Sony pair, but they have no built in tweeter like the Elac. Any opinions on if that is necessary or preferable for Atmos?
Old 05-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Indiana (USA)

Quote:
Just noticed I went with the Sony pair, but they have no built in tweeter like the Elac. Any opinions on if that is necessary or preferable for Atmos?
Yes, you would absolutely want a Tweeter + Woofer for ATMOS applications. A lot of ATMOS content will benefit from a Tweeter. I'm not a big fan of the ATMOS modules that up fire to reflect off of the ceiling but if you absolutely cannot do anything on the ceiling, then definitely get some modules that have a tweeter+woofer.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyyy View Post
Yes, you would absolutely want a Tweeter + Woofer for ATMOS applications. A lot of ATMOS content will benefit from a Tweeter. I'm not a big fan of the ATMOS modules that up fire to reflect off of the ceiling but if you absolutely cannot do anything on the ceiling, then definitely get some modules that have a tweeter+woofer.
So, if it were you, would you return these?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCSE-Do...1552095&sr=8-4

And then get these?

https://www.amazon.com/Debut-Dolby-A.../dp/B07B4P9TYJ
Old 05-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Indiana (USA)

Quote:
Hey, it really depends on your budget and what other speakers you have already. For me personally, I always try to stay in the same Brand/Tweeter type for all of the speakers. This will ensure it is all timbre matched. I will say that for ATMOS, timbre matching is much less important due to just providing lower volume height effects. The bed channels (5.0/7.0) are more important to timbre match. As I mentioned though, if I have the option of a tweeter vs no tweeter, I would get the tweeter 100% of the time. I would aim for a 1" tweeter though. The ones on the ELAC are only 1/2" which is very small.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:22 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Hey, it really depends on your budget and what other speakers you have already. For me personally, I always try to stay in the same Brand/Tweeter type for all of the speakers. This will ensure it is all timbre matched. I will say that for ATMOS, timbre matching is much less important due to just providing lower volume height effects. The bed channels (5.0/7.0) are more important to timbre match. As I mentioned though, if I have the option of a tweeter vs no tweeter, I would get the tweeter 100% of the time. I would aim for a 1" tweeter though. The ones on the ELAC are only 1/2" which is very small.
Budget is minimal. I have Infinity Primus P362 towers. What would you put on top? Elac, Klipsch R-41SA, or the Sony w/no tweeter?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:01 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Indiana (USA)

Quote:
Budget is minimal. I have Infinity Primus P362 towers. What would you put on top? Elac, Klipsch R-41SA, or the Sony w/no tweeter?
Out of those 3, I would go with the Elac. They will probably be the most neutral of the bunch. The Klipsch will be the brightest and most likely won't blend as well. The Sony, as I previously mentioned would be not be a good option due to no tweeter and only having a woofer.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Out of those 3, I would go with the Elac. They will probably be the most neutral of the bunch. The Klipsch will be the brightest and most likely won't blend as well. The Sony, as I previously mentioned would be not be a good option due to no tweeter and only having a woofer.
The Elacs or these Polks?

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Wa...62&sr=8-9&th=1
Old 05-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Toronto

If you have the chance to try each of them in your setup and play a few demos, I would strongly recommend it.
I'm not claiming to be an audiophile, but I could not disagree more with the earlier advice about timbre matching being less important in the step up towards ATMOS.
IMHO, it is the single most important thing and tweeters are hugely important with this.
While ceiling channels can be about panning ( which requires timbre matching to be seamlessly smooth), it is more often about creating a "bubble" of sound. ATMOS/DTS X soundtracks are designed to place "objects" in your room. They do this by using multiple speakers and complex algorithms (based on the receiver's setup routine). Timbre matching is vital to all of this. In the absence of being able to use a full complement of identical tweeters, you want to get them as close as possible.
Thanks given by:
Go Blue (05-21-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

kind of the perfect thread to ask. Not front placement though. If I have to Atmos speakers up on the side wall. How far apart does the Front left speaker and rear left speaker need to be? mines like 4.5ft from each other. (single listening area)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:14 AM   #16

Jun 2021

I’m sorry to be contrary but up firing speakers won’t give you the soundstage as down firing speakers.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richster View Post
I’m sorry to be contrary but up firing speakers won’t give you the soundstage as down firing speakers.
I think you've missed a word? I assume you meant won't give you the same soundstage.

Because they do work, just with differences. They add a more dispersed vertical atmosphere to create the Atmos bubble, just not with the discrete directionality of ceiling speakers.

Last edited by oddbox83; 08-31-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
kind of the perfect thread to ask. Not front placement though. If I have to Atmos speakers up on the side wall. How far apart does the Front left speaker and rear left speaker need to be? mines like 4.5ft from each other. (single listening area)
They sound like they're close together, but you can only place them where you can! Most of us with speakers in ordinary rooms as opposed to dedicated home cinema builds have to make some sort of compromise with placement.

I'd say get them as close to an ideal layout as you can, but then stop worrying about it and instead worry about angling the speakers correctly regarding MLP and calibrate as well as you are able to/feel confident with (auto or manual).

I like this article's relaxed reasoning from Cambridge audio. It's not totally relevant but the thought process is transferable.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
Power Member

May 2021
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
Mine were about that far apart when I had them (basically the width of my TV which is 4.5 feet).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion