Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Karate Kid: Part III & The Next Karate Kid (Blu-ray)
$8.99
7 hrs ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
Wreck-It Ralph 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Ready Player One (Blu-ray)
$14.99

De Palma & De Niro: The Early Films (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bohemian Rhapsody 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 02-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Default FireFox Is A Memory HOG!

What is with FF and sucking down 175-250 megs of ram? With 1 tab open? Seems I have to close it down every few hours otherwise it does that. This is on any machine. Not one particular one.

Some research shows me it's "normal" for it to use up 150 megs? Damn!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #2

Jan 2008

Try over 1 Gig, That's not unusual either. I can load Google Chrome, surfed a few sites - and FireFox still hasn't even loaded 1 tab. Although it's not as slow as IE8
Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #3

Dec 2009
Ohio

I used to be a Firefox fan, I switched to Google Chrome and never looked back, esp. with FF's memory issues.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

I just started using Google chrome last week. Pretty good so far..seems faster than Firefox.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area

I'm been using Google Chrome for a while, and it really seems much lighter than Firefox.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2008
Chicago

Personally, i've never been a fan a firefox and uninstalled it after a days use. Chrome is probably the best web browser out there currently. And yea, IE8 sucks too. Wayyyy too many useless features that get ignored and end up affecting sustem performance. Stick to chrome, it's simple and fast!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I've tried Firefox and Chrome on my Mac, as well as Opera, and I'm not really impressed with any of them. I end up going back to Safari every time. It's not perfect, but it's faster than anything else I've tried, and the speed makes up for any deficiencies IMO.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

You know, as much as I love Google Maps, Google Voice, Gmail and all the other wonderful Google apps, I just can't bring myself to use Chrome. Google scares me with data collection.

So we have a browser that sucks (IE8). We have a browser that leaks (FF). We have a browser that collects data (Chrome). Last, we have a browser that hates Flash (Safari).

What am I missing? Opera? Not even on my radar. Lol. Choices choices.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicon View Post
You know, as much as I love Google Maps, Google Voice, Gmail and all the other wonderful Google apps, I just can't bring myself to use Chrome. Google scares me with data collection.

So we have a browser that sucks (IE8). We have a browser that leaks (FF). We have a browser that collects data (Chrome). Last, we have a browser that hates Flash (Safari).

use chromium if you're that paranoid. it's chrome without the google stuff
Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
use chromium if you're that paranoid. it's chrome without the google stuff
I'm not really paranoid, just cautious

I will give it a look.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileES View Post
I used to be a Firefox fan, I switched to Google Chrome and never looked back, esp. with FF's memory issues.
Google Chrome FTW
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:

Have you looked at Netscape lately? I know they used to produce a good browser, but I haven't kept up with them for quite a while now.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Which version of FireFox are you using? The latest (3.6 IIRC) claims to fix memory use issues. Also, what plugins are you using? They too can be a memory hog.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Have you looked at Netscape lately? I know they used to produce a good browser, but I haven't kept up with them for quite a while now.
No. Netscape used to be good but it died years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Which version of FireFox are you using? The latest (3.6 IIRC) claims to fix memory use issues. Also, what plugins are you using? They too can be a memory hog.
FF 3.6 w/ AdBlock Plus and Xmarks. That's it.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
AOL officially announced [35] that support for Netscape Navigator would end on 1 March, 2008, and recommended that its users download either the Flock or Firefox browsers, both of which were based on the same technology.

are you seriously using netscape?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Folsom, CA

I'm about to start using Chrome, FF blows and is getting slower and slower. I have a fast gaming computer and sometimes Firefox lags out, it's pretty frustrating
Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I didn't think Chrome would offer much improvement over Safari (Mac user), since that was always very fast and hardly ever had any crashing issues or slowdown. I've been pleasantly surprised by Chrome. I like the very simple UI, and it is noticeably faster than the already fast Safari. I used Firefox on my PC, but didn't really care for it much once I went Mac.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

I've been using Chrome for several months and never looked back. The best browser I have ever used....by far.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #19
Power Member

Oct 2008

I would like to try Google Chrome. I currently have FireFox installed (no real problems right now). Can I install Chrome or will it disrupt FireFox? Should I uninstall FireFox first? These are probably dumb questions but I would hate to have some sort of conflict.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
I would like to try Google Chrome. I currently have FireFox installed (no real problems right now). Can I install Chrome or will it disrupt FireFox? Should I uninstall FireFox first? These are probably dumb questions but I would hate to have some sort of conflict.
I had both browsers installed at one point and didn't notice any problems...I know several people who have IE and Firefox installed even though they only use Firefox (as IE can be a pain to fully remove). If you're just trying out Chrome to see if you want to keep it, I don't think it would be a problem to have it co-exist with Firefox. If you decide you like it, remove Firefox then

I too have been using Chrome for a few months and love it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat