Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete Eleventh Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
10 hrs ago
Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.34

Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$6.25

Finding Nemo (Blu-ray)
$13.49

Miller's Crossing (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 hr ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$13.96

Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
17 min ago
Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1021
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
I am forever grateful to the powers that be for bringing TNG (My fave Trek) to Blu however, if they took this much time into putting it all together, they should have taken an equal amount of time in ensuring their labor of love came out properly. After all, what was a couple more weeks really?
Wait a minute... just to be clear... you think it only took them a couple of weeks to put everything together? Oye.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #1022
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Wait a minute... just to be clear... you think it only took them a couple of weeks to put everything together? Oye.
No of course not man. Come on... I meant after it was all said and done, a few more weeks or months or what have you to do a "final review" of the finished product.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #1023
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Uh no.

He meant if they had allowed another couple of weeks to carefully do a quality reveiw of this potential masterpiece release--they would have caught the errors.

Then they could have announced a delay and we'd all be happier for a delay of whatever time, rather than an annoying trade-in program.

oh well you beat me to it. That was one annoying post though!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1024
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Uh no.

He meant if they had allowed another couple of weeks to carefully do a quality reveiw of this potential masterpiece release--they would have caught the errors.

Then they could have announced a delay and we'd all be happier for a delay of whatever time, rather than an annoying trade-in program.

oh well you beat me to it. That was one annoying post though!
Thanks Bolty and yes, it was.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #1025
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
Thanks Bolty and yes, it was.
Just going by a literal interpretation of what you said...

The last 24 hours have me thinking... there are so many expensive sets coming that I want in September and October, that I am half debating sending this release back to Amazon, getting my money back, and then using it towards something like the Universal Monster collection... but then reason kicks in and I'll probably just end up hanging on to the set until I can get the discs replaced.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #1026
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
^^^So you are saying that even when listening to the lossless on the tv speakers you can still hear the problems?
The first 2:25 of the DTS-HD track on "Haven" is particularly poor sounding, mixed down to 2.0 on the TV speakers... then it suddenly switches and is fine... then at 27:27 you can hear the echo kick in until the end of the episode, just like in full 7.1.

The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #1027
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Here's the thing... why do reviews exist in the first place? Because studios provide sites with the screener copies. And with that, comes the expectation from the studios that a review is done in a timely manner, so the review can go up before release date or JUST after. Now, some titles the studios don't really care too much about, but when you have something like ST:TNG Season 1 being sent out, the studio wants the review done. Furthermore, reviewers have lives, too, and sitting down to watch all of the episodes and THEN all of the supplemental material on a set, while expected to provide a review by, or around release date would be impossible. Sorry, but the ideological standpoint of reviewing, as nice as it is, just isn't the reality most of the time.

I said it before and I'll say it again - The 'point' of reviews, from the studios standpoint - and again, it's the studios that provide the screeners in the first place - is to SELL their product, not to keep you informed. Now, if you want a 'perfect' site, ideally you would probably have to hire a staff that's willing to buy and review titles on their own time, and on their own dime. But, there's probably no way in the world you're going to come up with enough reviewers to cover it all. Then, you're sacrificing content for the 'middle ground' you weren't willing to achieve by getting reviews done in a timely manner.
You're just not thinking this all the way through, though you are half-right.

Yes, the studios provide copies of things they feel confident about hoping for a good review that will be like free advertising for them.

Every time Blu-ray.com or somebody says "this is great, much better than Cats, I will see it again and again" that's points for the studio and might entice someone on the fence to buy.

So... that's why they provide reviewer copies instead of waiting for you or I to buy it off the shelf and review (Siskel & Ebert style) at our own leisure.

BUT... regardless of how I get the thing to review... I owe my readers a proper review.

I should view the entirety of the release before my review. The only acceptable alternative would be for me, in my review, to state that I did not review a portion and then provide NO review for that portion that I didn't review.

For example... IF I only watched 1 or 2 episodes on this TNG disc... I should explicitly state that up front (I only watched these episodes in their entirety, I did not watch every episode) so that IF something comes up I wasn't giving positive reviews (or negative) to something I didn't actually try.

So... the studio wants a good review, that's why they are giving screener copies... BUT if I care at all about being a reviewer, I review the whole thing... not just part... because the people who read my reviews will know when I don't... and it doesn't take too many half-ass reviews by me before people will stop reading.

When people stop reading my reviews, the studio has no need to give me a screener copy anymore, do they?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #1028
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

^^^That just begs for the 'Picard two-hand face-palm'

I understand the critics not rewatching Farpoint but 6 other episodes have these problems and don't these reviewers have state of the art set-ups that would make it easy to catch this many errors?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #1029
Expert Member

Nov 2011
Denver, CO

CBS digital has been authoring blu-rays for less than a year. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #1030
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelong420 View Post
CBS digital has been authoring blu-rays for less than a year. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
What do you mean? The TOS sets came out in 2009 and Twilght Zone came out in 2010. How is that less than a year?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #1031
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
The same goes for "11001001". Everyone sounds like Darth Vader! -- this time for the whole episode.
Yeesh, another one?

Until the replacements are announced, I'm just going with the 2.0 tracks for the rest of my viewings to avoid unexpected echoing.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #1032
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
What do you mean? The TOS sets came out in 2009 and Twilght Zone came out in 2010. How is that less than a year?
They didn't author them in-house like they chose to do with TNG S1, they used outside companies... and the Next Level sampler was not done by them either -- hence why "Encounter at Farpoint" initially had no audio problems.

Rik1138 could perhaps expand upon that.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #1033
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

I have been down this road before with defective discs... sending them off, waiting for the replacement.. I just do not want to deal with that anymore. I will wait until they get it right, then I will purchase TNG season 1.

Yes, I will buy it.... I want it.... But I also want it as good as it can be. I do not expect perfection.... But this AQ issue is not acceptable to me.

CBS/Paramount... when you get it right, I will gladly give you my money.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #1034
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate King View Post
I have been down this road before with defective discs... sending them off, waiting for the replacement.. I just do not want to deal with that anymore. I will wait until they get it right, then I will purchase TNG season 1.

Yes, I will buy it.... I want it.... But I also want it as good as it can be. I do not expect perfection.... But this AQ issue is not acceptable to me.

CBS/Paramount... when you get it right, I will gladly give you my money.
+1

I bought it, came home, and came to Blu-ray.com to see what others had to say. Now knowing that there are severe QC issues, I'm taking it right back to Best Buy.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1035
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray_girl_fan View Post
+1

I bought it, came home, and came to Blu-ray.com to see what others had to say. Now knowing that there are severe QC issues, I'm taking it right back to Best Buy.
Did you open it? They may not accept it back and give you a full refund until there is an official statement from CBS that there is an acknowledged problem.

If you opened it, just wait a few days for an official statement that you can show to Best Buy customer service.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #1036
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
Did you open it? They may not accept it back and give you a full refund until there is an official statement from CBS that there is an acknowledged problem.

If you opened it, just wait a few days for an official statement that you can show to Best Buy customer service.
Nope. I never rush to open stuff. If I keep things sealed, I have 30 days (or 90 at Target) to get a refund.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #1037

Nov 2010

I am 27 years old and sadly when TNG was airing on TV it was just to mature for my likeing, so u have never really seen it till i picked up the BD. I can now see why this is one of the best Sci/Fi shows ever created i just cant stop watching it
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #1038

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkie fester View Post
I am 27 years old and sadly when TNG was airing on TV it was just to mature for my likeing, so u have never really seen it till i picked up the BD. I can now see why this is one of the best Sci/Fi shows ever created i just cant stop watching it
+++ A new fan! Great. And if you like this season, you'll really like it by the time you get into the 3rd season....
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #1039
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkie fester View Post
I am 30 and I watched it 5 nights a week as a child. Fox ran it Mon-Fri at 9 pm CST with new episodes virtually every Monday. It was my bedtime routine from 5 years old until it went off air when I was 12. I'd always watch it in the bed and pass out as soon as the end credits rolled. Good times.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #1040

Jan 2009
IL

If I get it for my birthday, I don't know if i should open it, and see if I notice the problem, or just keep it sealed and wait to return it once paramount figures out whats up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America