Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99
10 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
12 hrs ago
A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Batman and Robin Blu-ray Director Commentary includes apology to fans

Im listening to the commentary for Batman & Robin(because I cant stand the dialogue from the movie itself) and the whole time it seems like Schumacher is subtly apologizing for the movie, its pretty funny actually, hes making excuses and saying why sequels arent always a "good" idea.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Jun 2008
Ohio

I guess that doesn't surprise me.At least that means he's not oblivious to the fact that it's a bad movie.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

.....yep.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunksvegeta187 View Post
Im listening to the commentary for Batman & Robin(because I cant stand the dialogue from the movie itself) and the whole time it seems like Schumacher is subtly apologizing for the movie, its pretty funny actually, hes making excuses and saying why sequels arent always a "good" idea.
It's less an apology and more an explaination.

Since the studio basically forced the more campy stuff, so they could sell toys.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #5

Jan 2008

doesnt make up for the ******* dialogue

Last edited by jw; 03-14-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
doesnt make up for the ***** dialogue
And the dude is the director, not the writer.

Yes, some blame is due for him, but he's not the one that killed it. If the writing had been better, it probably could have been on about the same level as Batman Forever.

Last edited by jw; 03-14-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: language in quote removed
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
And as the director he can have some or all of the dialog rewritten multiple times if necessary.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #8

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia View Post
And as the director he can have some or all of the dialog rewritten multiple times if necessary.
thank you, the director has creative control, even over the script
Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

HAHAHA... this makes me wonder if he decided to make the film extremely bad ON PURPOSE in order to prove a point to the studio that their influence on a project isn't always such a good idea. If the studio is so adamant about the merchandising being such a heavy part of the presentation, then the presentation is going to blow goats!

Studio executives should stay out of the way of the artist!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #10

Feb 2009
Moraine, Ohio
Send a message via Skype™ to RazMansReality

^ I had never thought of that but that's very true, I agree with you!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #11

Jul 2008
Charlotte, NC
Send a message via AIM to PCiAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post

Yes, some blame is due for him, but he's not the one that killed it. If the writing had been better, it probably could have been on about the same level as Batman Forever.
I agree. While Joel's Batman films are truly inferior, I think he's mostly a scapegoat. Sure, much of the content of the films rest on his shoulders as the director, but I don't think the abominations that were the last two films (and the temporary death of the Batman franchise) should be blamed solely on Joel. Of course since he's the director, he's the scapegoat, but some forget that Joel is a truly skilled director who's made some good films.

In fact, the bosses at Camp Warner should be more blamed for the fact. After Burton's two films, much of the audience complained that his films were too dark. That combined with Warner Bros. wanting the films to appeal more towards children for marketing purposes (action figures, marketing, etc), can be moreso blamed than Joel. The studio told him what they wanted, and he did it more or less. Sure, he didn't have to accept the job, but I'm sure it was a pretty hefty paycheck, something we all would have considered.

I just got done watching the making of Batman Returns documentary in which Tim Burton said he went into the studio bosses' office at Warner to pitch his next Batman idea (after Batman Returns had already been released) and the Warner Bosses subtly began encouraging him to take on other projects. Burton actually asked point blank "you guys don't want me to make another Batman?" The documentary also stated that a lot of kids left crying after Batman Returns--another reason WB wanted to lighten the material. Of course we all know it didn't work out, but Joel Schumacher gets most of the blame mainly just because he's the director. Sure, Joel can be blamed for not respecting the original comic material (maybe he never read them... he can't be hated for not being a Batman fan), but he pretty much delivered what the studio corporate bosses asked for.

Last edited by PCiAM; 03-15-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2007

Because you personally didn't like a movie, it doesn't make it a bad movie. I personally enjoyed both Batman Forever and Batman & Robin way more than any other Batman movie, including the ever so hyped up Dark Knight movie.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCiAM View Post
I agree. While Joel's Batman films are truly inferior, I think he's mostly a scapegoat. Sure, much of the content of the films rest on his shoulders as the director, but I don't think the abominations that were the last two films (and the temporary death of the Batman franchise) should be blamed solely on Joel. Of course since he's the director, he's the scapegoat, but some forget that Joel is a truly skilled director who's made some good films.
I agree with you that he tends to be a scapegoat when it comes to B&R. He's done some good films (right of the top of my head, Phone Booth and Tigerland were good; I think he needs to stick to lower budget projects).
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
Because you personally didn't like a movie, it doesn't make it a bad movie. I personally enjoyed both Batman Forever and Batman & Robin way more than any other Batman movie, including the ever so hyped up Dark Knight movie.
Woah... that's a bold claim!!! If that's how you truly feel, I salute your bravery in admitting it. Hell, I enjoyed Batman Forever a fatload more than the rest of the planet, but it wasn't nearly as good as Tim Burton's OR Christopher Nolan's visions.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Reminds me of that Simpson's episode where they get a Waterworld DVD with commentary and the commentary is just Costner saying "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry,...."
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Quote:
Im listening to the commentary for Batman & Robin(because I cant stand the dialogue from the movie itself) and the whole time it seems like Schumacher is subtly apologizing for the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
It's less an apology and more an explaination.
Since the studio basically forced the more campy stuff, so they could sell toys.

"Apologies" or "explainations" call them what you want. No ammount of either will EVER make up for how Schumacher's Batmans suck so terribly bad.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2008

Like I just posted in the Batman Anthology thread, I'm over it with bashing the Schumacher films. I do remember watching his commentary when I watched the DVDs and was grateful to hear he "got it" that there's such a backlash to his take on it. Also, I don't believe he was a scapegoat of any kind. I think he took a creative chance as Hollywood directors are apt to do, and the fact that a whooooooole bunch of us went in droves to see Batman Forever gave him carte blanche to continue his take with Batman & Robin.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #18

Apr 2008
Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
You a 45 year old soccer mom?

I have to admit when They came out I was 11 for Batman Forever and I was 13 for Batman and Robin. Well I liked them, they were flashy, colorful, funny at times, and I loved Batman and Robins SoundTrack. (Bone Thugs) Also though at the time I read the comics, I was really pissed on how they made Bane into a pee on compared to the brutal character that he was in the comics. Considering at the time these came out my local fox was running the Old Batman TV series these were a huge step up

As I got older though and went back and watched Batman from Tim Burton, I really realized how bad these were. They were made for Kids.... Joel should not feel bad for that. Although he should have realized kids grow up... These would not be classics.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Power Member

Oct 2007

Batman and Robin was awful. There was no excuse for most of what went on in it. I mean, Poison Ivy's ridiculous creation story was enough to kill it right there, without all the butt/crotch shots etc and other bad ideas. I mean, she sank into the ground and popped up as a supervillian! And there were cheesy plant puppets! I mean, ugh. Really, ugh.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2007
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCiAM View Post

In fact, the bosses at Camp Warner should be more blamed for the fact. After Burton's two films, much of the audience complained that his films were too dark. That combined with Warner Bros. wanting the films to appeal more towards children for marketing purposes (action figures, marketing, etc), can be moreso blamed than Joel. The studio told him what they wanted, and he did it more or less. Sure, he didn't have to accept the job, but I'm sure it was a pretty hefty paycheck, something we all would have considered.

I just got done watching the making of Batman Returns documentary in which Tim Burton said he went into the studio bosses' office at Warner to pitch his next Batman idea (after Batman Returns had already been released) and the Warner Bosses subtly began encouraging him to take on other projects. Burton actually asked point blank "you guys don't want me to make another Batman?" The documentary also stated that a lot of kids left crying after Batman Returns--another reason WB wanted to lighten the material. Of course we all know it didn't work out, but Joel Schumacher gets most of the blame mainly just because he's the director. Sure, Joel can be blamed for not respecting the original comic material (maybe he never read them... he can't be hated for not being a Batman fan), but he pretty much delivered what the studio corporate bosses asked for.
He put nipples on the Batsuit! lol.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America