Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99
1 day ago
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$36.35

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$33.88

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 07-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6
Default Xbox Series V "Edinburgh" Rumored Possible 3rd Console??

Quote:
The Xbox Series X is set to release sometime this holiday season, and if you believe the latest rumors and reports, it will be accompanied by the Xbox Series S, a cheaper and less powerful version of the former. That said, there's now possibly a third Xbox console unaccounted for called the Xbox "Edinburgh." What "Edinburgh" is, isn't clear, but it's making the rounds within the Xbox community as the Internet speculates over what it could be.

Word of Xbox "Edinburgh" comes way of Windows Central journalist Jez Corden, who relays world of the console but doesn't say much about it or how he knows of its existence. What Corden does do is warn Xbox fans not to get hyped for a handheld or a new form factor, as this "might be something like an XCloud server blade." Meanwhile, Corden also notes it's possible this could be an all-digital version of the Xbox Series X. Others have suggested this could be the dev kit codename, but we already know the dev kit's name is Dante. Source
Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Itís probably just the SX without the disc drive.
Thanks given by:
Mavsfan41 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

There were always 3 consoles from day one. One was the SX one was the SS and one was just a streaming box, so calling it a console is a slight push, it's as much a console as Stadia is.

The only thing new about this is that it's got a working name. It was first mentioned back in July 2018 that MS was working on a sub $100 streaming box to launch alongside Anaconda and Lockhart.

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-xclou...ill-happening/

Quote:
They have an [xCloud] console box, which is a really low-power, low-latency device that is designed to connect directly to xCloud and give you a better gaming experience. Think about how [Google] Stadia works -- they have that controller, that connects directly to the router, giving better performance and making the experience more seamless. Microsoft has a similar thing, a cloud console box with very little power, but provides a better experience than just playing from a [smart] TV or something like that. It's not quite a set-top box or an Apple TV competitor, but a box that would let you connect an Xbox controller directly to xCloud. The details on this are still murky, but I'm hearing this project has not been killed.

Price point could be as low as $60 but with the way streaming services go for gaming it's destined to fail. That is to say it's a very niche product. The only possible benefits could be using it like a Shield TV to stream your games form your Xbox in the main room to a TV in a bedroom for example more so than people using it exclusively as a game streaming device as opposed to buying an actual console.

Last edited by Mavrick; 07-06-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Thanks given by:
Himmel (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

xCloud controller

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...mpression=true
Old 07-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Looks cheap and like a bad joke for a Nintendo SNES rip off.

Personally i think MS is about to severely shaft themselves. Their whole messaging is about to get a whole lot kore complicated.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Looks cheap and like a bad joke for a Nintendo SNES rip off.

Personally i think MS is about to severely shaft themselves. Their whole messaging is about to get a whole lot kore complicated.
It probably is the exact same mold considering it's 8bitdo making it.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
LOL good god. Another controller and another piece of hardware incoming. SMDH.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
That is hideous.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
Special Member

Nov 2014

I wonder why they don't just make a cradle for the standard Xbox One controller?
Old 07-07-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
It probably is the exact same mold considering it's 8bitdo making it.
Nice

8bitdo probably makes the most authentic NES Controllers period.
Thanks given by:
GRD43L (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

I think the controller looks great!

I like the look of the 8Bitdo controllers. I wanted to pick-up Nintendo version but I just bring myself (so far) to buy another Nintendo controller when I already have the Switch Pro...
Old 09-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Oh my god. Could it be true?

Looks like the Series V will be MS answer to the PS5 Digital edition.

I'm giggling like a little kid because if this is true it's the best of both worlds if this thing launches at £349

But alas it's not been spotted in any of their material like the S was so I will dream.

Last edited by Mavrick; 09-11-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Oh my god. Could it be true?

Looks like the Series V will be MS answer to the PS5 Digital edition.

I'm giggling like a little kid because if this is true it's the best of both worlds if this thing launches at £349

But alas it's not been spotted in any of their material like the S was so I will dream.
My guess (if it is real) is it'll probably be a early next year release.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
My guess (if it is real) is it'll probably be a early next year release.
I more than believe that "Edinburgh" is legit, although I'm more inclined to believe it's a streaming device like a chromecast.

It should have a "Series" name though.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

If MS does in fact have a Digital Series X, that wouldn't need to be called anything more than Series X Digital. No need for a "Series V" to muddy the waters further. Plus imo i think MS are probably open to doing it. However, it's entirely interesting to me that the Digital Foundry guys more or less knew it all about the Series S way back in March and all the specs remained pretty much the same.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #16

Aug 2011

Quote:
I more than believe that "Edinburgh" is legit, although I'm more inclined to believe it's a streaming device like a chromecast.

It should have a "Series" name though.
With MS focusing less on Xbox as a console and more as a service, the "series" naming convention means anything they put out could/would/should be a Xbox Series ___. Having this "Edinburgh"/Series V be a X-Cloud/Xbox Game Pass streaming dongle, maybe bundled with a controller and a free month or two of the service, would makes sense to me. It basically means that anyone who wants to play Next Gen games can for less than any current gen system and they can do so on just about anything with an HDMI plug (I assume) and decent internet. It would not surprise me if this, hypothetical, cheap, streaming dongle option had a larger percentage of X-Cloud/Game Pass subscribers than either the series X or S owners, which is what I'm sure MS hopes for.

Although, how far will they stretch the naming convention? Will they all be single letters or will they do combos (SE, XL, AARP) and how long will it go for? To me, it seems like they're intending this to be more than just this generation, making Xbox Series ____ the brand from now on. But I know nothing lasts forever and I just wonder if it will actually stay that way by the time the PS6 comes out.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #17
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

When referring to both the X and S MS now call it the "Xbox Series" So they can definitely add more devices in there and it's all under the "Xbox Series" umbrella.

The thing is though like with PlayStation you know 5 is greater than 4 so it's easy to know which ones the newest.

The Xbox Series branding is annoying because even in conversation with friends everyone mixes up the names calling them One X and One S interchangeably. I guess it will just take time to forget about the "One" and just remember the "Series".
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X