Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.32
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$81.99

The Day of the Beast 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
4 hrs ago
Fear the Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$11.92
1 day ago
Perdita Durango 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
4 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$71.99

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Doorman (Blu-ray)
$7.50
1 day ago
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.43
1 day ago
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Today, 09:10 AM   #3121
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
My list of blind-buys from last year (in no particular order, technically it's just over ten titles, and these are the only titles I can think of at the moment).

Favourite blind-buys of last year:

Tex Avery Screwball Classics: Volume 1 and The Thin Man (Warner Archive Collection)

Got these towards the end of last year. The former was recommended by fellow posters (still going to get the second volume, even though the transfers are apparently not as good), and the latter I dismissed beforehand, but on seeing "murder mystery" mentioned in a description, I was definitely interested. The first sequel is being released by the WAC very soon. Hopefully, the remaining films are released.

Silent Night Deadly Night, Parts 1 & 2 (101 Films)

Decided to get the UK release after reading positive comments. I had considered getting the Shout! Factory releases, but this saved me getting those. Apparently the remaining three unrelated films in the series are with Lionsgate. Hopefully they get their act together and do a boxset of them.

The Woman in Black (Network)

It's good seeing these type of TV titles getting releases (and despite it getting some stick recently on here (ditto with fellow UK label 88 Films), they do very good releases). Hopefully Network have got further TV titles in the works (they've been focusing on their British Film line lately).

Decoy: The Complete Series, and Deadline: The Complete Series (Film Chest)

I had considered getting Decoy on more than one occasion, but last year finally decided to get it. I later found out they had released another older TV series on DVD, which starred an actor who I'd seen in several series. I hope they release further series (if they're available, and useable elements exist). It's good to see series like this get a new lease of life for those who have never heard of them.

Giving a shout out to Classicflix for their DVD releases of both seasons of Public Defender and their Blu-ray releases of film noirs.

Berserker and Pale Blood (Vinegar Syndrome)

Out of the VS titles I decided to get last year, two of the titles I was especially glad to get were these two horror films. The former, because of Beth Toussaint ( Remember her from the original Dallas), and the latter, partly because of George Chakiris (he was a recurring guest star in the dream season of Dallas).

Would like to see VS do a release of another Wings Hauser film, The Carpenter, and a Barbara Carrera film called Tryst (she also appeared in Dallas' dream season).

The Reckless Moment (Powerhouse Films/Indicator)

Didn't get many Powerhouse Films titles last year, but this James Mason-starring film was one of the titles I did decide to get, after a fellow poster here said very good things about it.

Mind Games (MVD Rewind)

Only got one title so far from the label MVD Rewind. Decided to get this after seeing positive comments about this release. But also because I want to support various labels, including some which haven't been around for long.

Dream Demon (Arrow Video)

Decided to get this Arrow title last year, partly because it sounded a bit like A Nightmare on Elm Street, and partly because of some of the cast (which includes two actors from my favourite comedy drama series Auf Wiedersehen, Pet).
I second Woman In Black. Far superior version to the film.
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #3122
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmo View Post
This is the 1989 TV adaptation correct? I've been hearing good things about it and was thinking of picking up the bluray.
Hope it’s ok to answer for Ocean, but yes that’s correct. It’s the superior telling of the story with a better atmosphere and more chills despite the spirit being used sparingly.
The disc has the original screen format and a widescreen version. The widescreen version is surprisingly good with very little info llost vertically.
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #3123
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm82 View Post
With that one, honestly I didn't hate it, I was just underwhelmed by the entire movie and have zero desire to ever watch it again. I recently watched The Innkeepers and felt the same, nothing awful, but why would I bother watching it again?
Couldn't agree more on DRAG ME TO HELL. I know it's a real favorite among many horror fans and has much of the fun, gruesome outrageousness unique to Raimi (EVIL DEAD 2 is an all-timer for me), but I felt worn down by it ultimately - probably didn't help that I found Alison Lohman's wan character to be pretty unlikable as well.

Have to say I really like THE INNKEEPERS, though I love a slow-burn ghost story and director Ti West's approach of saving the all-hell-breaking-loose visceral qualities for the climax (as he did with HOUSE OF THE DEVIL); I can see why the film doesn't work for everyone but I like West's mix of creepy and funny, and enjoy the performances.

I was underwhelmed by West's HOUSE OF THE DEVIL on my first watch, but liked it much more on a rewatch years later. Gotta love how West really captured the look and atmosphere of low-budget late '70s/early '80s horror and actress Jocelin Donahue truly felt like a heroine from that era..right down to the feathered hair. In an atypical role from her wide-eyed innocents, Greta Gerwig was terrific as the sassy, wise-ass best friend and the witty casting of Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov played like the ultimate in-joke for horror fans.
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (Today), horroru (Today), Steedeel (Today)
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #3124
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD64 View Post
Couldn't agree more on DRAG ME TO HELL. I know it's a real favorite among many horror fans and has much of the fun, gruesome outrageousness unique to Raimi (EVIL DEAD 2 is an all-timer for me), but I felt worn down by it ultimately - probably didn't help that I found Alison Lohman's wan character to be pretty unlikable as well.

Have to say I really like THE INNKEEPERS, though I love a slow-burn ghost story and director Ti West's approach of saving the all-hell-breaking-loose visceral qualities for the climax (as he did with HOUSE OF THE DEVIL); I can see why the film doesn't work for everyone but I like West's mix of creepy and funny, and enjoy the performances.

I was underwhelmed by West's HOUSE OF THE DEVIL on my first watch, but liked it much more on a rewatch years later. Gotta love how West really captured the look and atmosphere of low-budget late '70s/early '80s horror and actress Jocelin Donahue truly felt like a heroine from that era..right down to the feathered hair. In an atypical role from her wide-eyed innocents, Greta Gerwig was terrific as the sassy, wise-ass best friend and the witty casting of Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov played like the ultimate in-joke for horror fans.
Did you spot the
[Show spoiler]ghost in the final frames
in Innkeepers?
Thanks given by:
MJD64 (Today)
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #3125
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Did you spot the
[Show spoiler]ghost in the final frames
in Innkeepers?
I have to admit not on the first viewing, but did catch it on the rewatch!
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (Today)
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #3126
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Anyone contemplating this one?

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/breeder/

I’m on the fence, not sure if it’s a Martyrs wannabe or the real thing. I normally have a instinct for these films but I’m not sure here.
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #3127
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blashyrkh66 View Post
Like the good doctor I couldn't keep it to ten, sorry!

My favorite films I watched for the first time in 2020
[Show spoiler]
[Show spoiler]
A White Dress for Marialé aka Spirits of Death (1972) - I posted this in the Giallo thread after watching it - "What an under-rated gem! I'm surprised this isn't talked about more because it is one of the few classic period gialli that I had heard about but never seen that actually lived up to expectations for me. It has a great cast including Ivan Rassimov (in a rare leading man role), Ida Galli and Luigi Pistilli, and a cool gothic feel. I can't believe it's from the same director as Nightmare In A Damaged Brain, which I also liked, but Marialé had a much different vibe. The Camera Obscura disc was great as well."

[Show spoiler]
The Lady Kills (1971) - A weird psychedelic sexploitation revenge film that was my favorite Mondo Macabro blind buy in 2020. Groovy soundtrack, great early 70's atmosphere and plenty of sleaze.

10. (tie)
[Show spoiler]
Secret of the Red Orchid (1962) / The Sinister Monk (1965) / The College Girl Murders (1967) - I have a few of the German Edgar Wallace sets and went on krimi bender this year, watching all of the ones in the sets I own that had English subs available. If you haven't delved into krimi yet, they are pre-giallo thrillers - less blood, more comedic relief (usually courtesy of comedian Eddi Arent) and not as stylized, but thematically related and a major influence on the later genre. For the most part they were all very entertaining, I just picked these three films because they jumped out at me when I looked at the list of the ones I watched, probably because of Marissa Mell and Uschi Glas

[Show spoiler]
The Weekend Murders (1970) - A wickedly fun giallo set in a British countryside manor and filled with quirky characters including a surprising turn from Gastone Moschin (Caliber 9) as a seemingly bumbling small town cop. Tonally it's more like Clue or Knives Out than any of the big gialli, but if that puts you off don't let it, this is worth a watch.

[Show spoiler]
Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970) - Werner Herzog creates total anarchy and while you could watch this just for the glorious destructive spectacle of it all, there seems to be something deeper at work here in regards to human nature and our place in the world. I watched it twice in a row, once just the film and again with the fantastic Werner Herzog / Crispin Glover commentary.

[Show spoiler]
Werewolf Vs The Vampire Woman aka Werewolf Shadow (1971) - I love the 1981 remake, Night of the Werewolf, but this was my first time with the original courtesy of the Subkultur blu-ray. I loved this one too, and with Paul Naschy and Patty Shepard, how could I not?

[Show spoiler]
Deadlier Than The Male (1967) - One of the many Eurospy movies that were cranked out in the 60's and while not as stylish as Bava's classic Danger: Diabolik, I thought it was a blast. UK spy Bulldog Drummond goes to the Italian Riviera to take on a villain who has trained an army of bikini-clad female assassins, most notably Elke Sommer and Sylvia Koscina. Hell yeah.

[Show spoiler]
Toys Are Not For Children (1972) - An early 70's exploitation film, which despite not being very graphic, was so slimy I needed to shower after watching it to clean off the filth. It's a psycho-sexual drama with a very good cast (mostly New York theater actors), and I found it to be a much better film than the budget or story should have allowed. Everything about this is just so wrong, I think it is a true grindhouse sleaze-fest MVP.

[Show spoiler]
Slaughter Hotel aka Cold Blooded Beast (1971) - I don't know how this passed under my radar for so long. A giallo from Fernando Di Leo that takes place in a psychiatric hospital for women run by Klaus Kinski and a perverted nurse, the patients are allowed to roam the halls freely and it doubles as a museum for medieval weaponry and torture devices. Surely nothing bad will happen under those circumstances An over-the-top delight.

[Show spoiler]
The Man Who Was Sherlock Holmes (1937) - This was a blind buy based on a short review on the Kino thread and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Two conmen disguise themselves as Sherlock Holmes and Watson and find themselves being recruited by the police to help solve a big heist. I love older movies but sometimes have to give them some leeway to compensate for their age, but I didn't have to do that here because this film felt fresh to me, which is pretty great for an 83 year old comedy mystery.

[Show spoiler]
Super B*tch (1973) - Really, really fun poliziotteschi from Massimo Dallamano (Solange) with a top notch funky Riz Ortolani score. Ivan Rassimov plays a bad-ass double-crossing undercover cop and Stephanie Beachum is his prostitute girlfriend. Two different mob gangs, including one led by the colorful gypsy grandmother Mama The Turk, are pitted against each other and the cops. The translation of the Italian title is "Can you be more of a bastard than Inspector Cliff?" and the answer is probably no. This needs a blu-ray upgrade ASAP.

[Show spoiler]
The Libertine (1968) - It's hard to put into words why I loved this film so much, but I did. It's beautifully shot, the production and costume design is amazing and screams late 60's modern Italian style (possibly only topped by Femina Ridens in that regard), great soundtrack, the cast is wonderful... I could go on and on. I suppose it's a sexploitation film, but one that is good natured, and occasionally even sweet and oddly wholesome, especially the last scene which I found to be downright delightful. The blu-ray from Nucleus is really good, with some very insightful special features. I had never even heard of this film before a friend blind bought it, but it became my favorite discovery of the year and I ordered my own copy the day after we watched it.

and a few newer films that I really enjoyed
[Show spoiler]
[Show spoiler]

Notable Mentions

Both good and bad, here are some other notable films I watched for the first time this year

[Show spoiler]What Did Jack Do? (2017) - A short noir film with David Lynch interrogating a suspect who happens to be a talking monkey. David Lynch and a talking monkey? It's like the universe manifested this just for me, ha ha.

[Show spoiler]
Delirium (1987) - Although it's good, I wouldn't say this is in the top tier of gialli, but I would say that Serena Grandi is in the top tier of people in gialli.

[Show spoiler]
The Police Are Blundering In The Dark (1975) - My favorite in Vinegar Syndromes' Forgotten Giallo Vol. 1 box. It's not good but it's so damn weird I loved it.

[Show spoiler]
No, The Case Is Happily Resolved (1973) - This is a pretty good film, but possibly the most frustrating watch I've ever had. The basic plot is that the dumbest scardey-cat on earth witnesses a brutal murder and then proceeds to do pretty much everything wrong he possibly could. According to the special features that were on the excellent Camera Obscura disc, there is supposed to be some sort of social critique in here, but unless they were criticizing the Italian educational system for producing such an idiot, I'm not sure what it was. Like I said, this is good, but it's Curb Your Enthusiam level uncomfortable but not funny and with much higher stakes.

[Show spoiler]
In Fabric (2018) - Notable because the director is so highly regarded, this had generally good reviews and on paper I should have loved it. But I really did not like it. Actually, I hated it. But seeing Julian Barratt did spur me on to re-watch some Mighty Boosh episodes, so I guess there was one upside.

[Show spoiler]
Adrenochrome (2018) - This was a blind buy during a B2G1 sale on Amazon.de. It's a new grindhouse movie filled with violence, some decent fight choreography and a lot of T&A, made by people who clearly have some potential, some good ideas and who worked really hard. Unfortunately they also seem to be the kind of people who like really cool things but don't have any f**king clue about why those things are cool, so it comes across as a cringe-worthy pastiche of much better films. There's a reason why this relatively well-budgeted (for an indie) US film doesn't have a domestic release. I wish this were good, but it's not.

Favorite re-watches

There are some favorite films I re-watch regularly, but these are ones that weren't in the regular rotation that I watched again in 2020 that stuck out to me, mostly due to excellent upgraded releases.

[Show spoiler]
Horrors of Spider Island (1960) - Severin blu-ray, watched uncut for the first time!

[Show spoiler]
Malibu Express (1985) - One of the new Andy Sidaris blu-ray's from Mill Creek. I love Savage Beach, but I had more fun than I thought I was going to have watching this one again.

[Show spoiler]
The Blood Rose (1970) - Great UHD from Le Chat Qui Fume of one of my favorite old Mondo Macabro DVD's.

[Show spoiler]
The Fan (1982) - All the talk on this board pushed me to re-watch The Fan, and I'm glad I did. It's so good.

[Show spoiler]
The Chaser (2008) - I think this dark and brutal Korean thriller is a stone cold classic. I've seen it a couple of times before but somehow I still end up on the edge of my seat whenever I watch it again.

[Show spoiler]
The Girl Who Knew Too Much aka The Evil Eye (1963) - I did a re-watch to see the U.S. version, which I surprisingly enjoyed just as much as the Italian version. A couple of months later I ended up watching the Italian version again when my movie group did a John Saxon tribute night. What a great film.

[Show spoiler]
The Magnificent Butcher (1979) and Mr. Vampire (1985) - Eureka has put out a few kung-fu classics from Golden Harvest but these were my favorite re-watches, which was surprising because I would have listed Zu Warriors and The Bride With White Hair, which they also released, amongst my all-time favorite movies. They're still great, but I had more fun with these.

[Show spoiler]
Daughters of Darkness (1971) - The Blue Underground UHD is just gorgeous and I love this film.
[Show spoiler]

Damn you blashyrkh, now I wanna track down SPIRITS OF DEATH! Never heard of it, but anything remotely gothic pulls me in.

Great list, I'll need to check out some of those titles!

Agreed on COLD BLOODED BEAST, I was cracking up at the medieval weapons openly on display in the psychiatric hospital - and then when the killings are happening, they still leave them on display! The highlight for me though and the reason I picked up the film is Rosalba Neri - her first appearance in the film when she walks out the door is pure sexiness.

Nice to see more love for THE FAN and DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America