Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 07-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Microsoft to launch xCloud streaming free with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate in September

xCloud will get a new name and some bigger ambitions

Microsoft is planning to launch its game streaming service, currently known as Project xCloud, free to its paying Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers in September. The xCloud service will allow Xbox players to play games on mobile devices or even start a game on their consoles and resume it on their phone or tablet. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate combines Xbox Live access, an Xbox Game Pass subscription, and, starting in September, xCloud game streaming into a single $14.99 monthly subscription.

Microsoft is promising that more than 100 Xbox Game Pass titles will be playable on a phone or tablet when the streaming service launches. Microsoft isn’t detailing which countries will be supported at launch just yet, though. The company has been building out its Azure data centers across the US and in parts of Europe with Xbox One S blades to stream Xbox games through xCloud. Microsoft will upgrade these servers to Xbox Series X hardware in 2021.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will be the only way to access xCloud streaming at launch, but it won’t always be limited to Microsoft’s top subscription tier.

“Over time we will continue to expand how we introduce streaming as part of the platform, and playing games that you own that aren’t part of the subscription,” says Microsoft’s Xbox chief Phil Spencer in an interview with The Verge. “For launch we’re putting it in Ultimate for no additional cost. We think it’s a good audience for us to start with, and it’s an audience that plays a lot of games.”

While everyone accessing xCloud game streaming in September will do so through a phone or tablet, Microsoft isn’t detailing which devices will be supported just yet. The software maker has been involved in ongoing discussions with Apple over App Store policies that have prevented Microsoft from testing xCloud with the same features as the Android version. Microsoft started testing xCloud on iOS devices earlier this year, but the test has been limited to a single Halo game.

“We want to bring xCloud, eventually, to every screen that someone can stream games to. Right now we’re just saying mobile,” says Spencer. “There are discussions going on and we’re working through things. We’ll talk more specifically about which mobile devices through August and the September launch.”
Thanks given by:
JayTL (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

If you get pay the monthly $14.99 and you buy XBL for 50 a year then it works out to be about $20pm

I know you can get XBL cheaper than that and you can often get cheaper GPU subs too, so potentially a lot less than $20pm which if it's an eco system you're already invested in is a price you can't refuse really.

I'm glad they had the common sense to see that the streaming service wouldn't succeed if they released it as a stand alone product. Everyone and their nan could see Google Stadia was going to flop, I bet no one even knows they had a livestream event a few days ago either. That's how far their presence has been felt.

Using xCloud to bolster a pre existing service is a very smart move.
Thanks given by:
GRD43L (07-21-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

The service is cool for people who use it..but I'm not one of them lol
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Me either. If I was invested in the Xbox ecosystem then I most certainly would get it.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Me either. If I was invested in the Xbox ecosystem then I most certainly would get it.
Sony has one too, right?

I don't have any tablets, and I'm not playing any video games meant for a TV on my 10 inch phone lol
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Sony has one too, right?

I don't have any tablets, and I'm not playing any video games meant for a TV on my 10 inch phone lol
Sony has PS Now which isn't as good as this sounds to be honest, and it's too expensive and doesn't include day one release free games like gamepass does so it's a lot less value for money.

If Sony did a game sub that offered all their first party titles day one for a single monthly price as low as $14.99 as well as let me stream my games anywhere (even if it is just as a novelty party trick that I would never seriously use) then I'd be all over it.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Sony has PS Now which isn't as good as this sounds to be honest, and it's too expensive and doesn't include day one release free games like gamepass does so it's a lot less value for money.

If Sony did a game sub that offered all their first party titles day one for a single monthly price as low as $14.99 as well as let me stream my games anywhere (even if it is just as a novelty party trick that I would never seriously use) then I'd be all over it.
I meant a streaming service like xCloud
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
I meant a streaming service like xCloud
PS Now is a streaming service but not quite like xCloud , it only works on PS4 and Windows PC.

It costs $10pm too which compared to Game Pass Ultimate which offers a slew of downloadable titles as well as first party games day and date with retail launches as well as game streaming to almost any platform for $14.99pm really doesn't compare.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
PS Now is a streaming service but not quite like xCloud , it only works on PS4 and Windows PC.

It costs $10pm too which compared to Game Pass Ultimate which offers a slew of downloadable titles as well as first party games day and date with retail launches as well as game streaming to almost any platform for $14.99pm really doesn't compare.
Yeah that's a little nuts. I thought they had their own streaming service from system to phone, but I'm probably just getting confused with something else.

In my opinion, streaming is not the future. Especially with Internet companies enforcing data caps.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Yeah that's a little nuts. I thought they had their own streaming service from system to phone, but I'm probably just getting confused with something else.

In my opinion, streaming is not the future. Especially with Internet companies enforcing data caps.
Ahh I think you mean Remote Play. That only works over local network rather than streaming from a sever.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Ahh I think you mean Remote Play. That only works over local network rather than streaming from a sever.
Thats it! xCloud does it over their server, like I dont need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

I was in the xcloud beta. Input lag for days. Streaming video games is not ever going to work as well as a home console or pc imo
Old 07-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Thats it! xCloud does it over their server, like I dont need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi?
I believe it's direct from a server not the console, like Google Stadia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
I was in the xcloud beta. Input lag for days. Streaming video games is not ever going to work as well as a home console or pc imo
The input lag even on local remote play is horrendous so I couldn't imagine what it's like from a server.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:24 AM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I just watched a video from a YouTuber on this.

Tbh, $14.99 p/m for day and date Xbox studio games on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate WHILST you get XBL Gold thrown in is really great value.

Sony right now charges £49.99 i think for just PlayStation Plus which you NEED to play online and then some for PS Now but yet they don't even bother having their own full 1st party titles available to play lile Xbox are doing.

If Sony did something like this to combine PS Now with PS+ and offer their full first party library day and date, that would be amazing but i think Sony feels they're arrogant enough to make more money by not doing this because their platforms exclusives have typically sold a lot more and financially that would make them take a hit.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:37 AM   #15
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Sony has one too, right?

Your phone has a 10" screen? That sounds like a tablet

Quote:
During the xCloud beta there was some kind of local game streaming akin to PlayStation Remote Play, but I wasn't in the correct group/ring to test it. I don't know if it will end up being a standard feature for XSX (like Remote Play is on PS4/Pro) or behind a subscription.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:38 AM   #16
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
If xCloud let me play my actual library instead of just the GamePass library, I would be more excited about it.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
If 5G ends up living up to the hype and promises in the future, the gap can finally be small enough to warrant streaming as a legitimate here to stay method of gaming. At the moment though, yeah it’s still not a viable main option for the average household or serious gamer.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I just watched a video from a YouTuber on this.

Tbh, $14.99 p/m for day and date Xbox studio games on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate WHILST you get XBL Gold thrown in is really great value.

Sony right now charges £49.99 i think for just PlayStation Plus which you NEED to play online and then some for PS Now but yet they don't even bother having their own full 1st party titles available to play lile Xbox are doing.

If Sony did something like this to combine PS Now with PS+ and offer their full first party library day and date, that would be amazing but i think Sony feels they're arrogant enough to make more money by not doing this because their platforms exclusives have typically sold a lot more and financially that would make them take a hit.
Well, that's not arrogance is it; it's good business sense. There's a reason why MS is "giving this away" at such a low price.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #19

Jan 2012
USA, GA

This is a fantastic deal. I already subscribed to GamePass so having this added as a bonus. I've been in the X Cloud Beta and so far it's been pretty impressive.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:05 AM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Sony has one too, right?

Yep, the idea of people getting excited about playing AAA games on a smartphone is thoroughly depressing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X