Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #21
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
Well, that's not arrogance is it; it's good business sense. There's a reason why MS is "giving this away" at such a low price.
I guess sometimes it's a perspective.

Somebody puts profit as a barometer of "Good business sense" may see it as being fine to jack up the prices whilst reducing value proposition and having reduced customer numbers as long as the overall profit grows.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #22
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I guess sometimes it's a perspective.

Somebody puts profit as a barometer of "Good business sense" may see it as being fine to jack up the prices whilst reducing value proposition and having reduced customer numbers as long as the overall profit grows.
It absolutely about perspective.

From Service Provider's perspective, it's 'confidence'.

From customer's perspective, it may appear as arrogance.

Last edited by GRD43L; 07-21-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #23
Special Member

Nov 2014

Looks like they also killed the much alluded to Game Pass for Switch. Not sure how streaming to a tablet w/ on-screen controls or bt controller is a better option than streaming to Switch w/ built-in physical controls.

Xbox Game Pass now sounds unlikely to launch on Switch, PlayStation via Eurogamer
Old 07-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #24

Jul 2017

Imagine the time. money, and the effort to come up with xCloud. It's a ridiculous concept.

Yes, by all means. I want to play a game on my phone with major lag vs playing on my expensive 4K TV. On the new Xbox system that we be buying in November. Yes, that makes sense.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBox View Post
Imagine the time. money, and the effort to come up with xCloud. It's a ridiculous concept.

Yes, by all means. I want to play a game on my phone with major lag vs playing on my expensive 4K TV. On the new Xbox system that we be buying in November. Yes, that makes sense.
Also, gaming on a touchscreen for certain genres of game is horrifically bad.

I suppose things might get more exciting if Apple and others can suss AR glasses. Nice big screen with Bluetooth or wireless controller. Enough space to run a stream or live video chat in between gaming or even at same time.

Last edited by Steedeel; 07-22-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #26
Special Member

Nov 2014

I think we should maybe consider that we are not the target audience for xCloud (or Geforce Now, or PS Now, or Stadia). It is probably intended for people who can't (or choose not to) buy into the hardware but are still interested in the ecosystem. For developing markets, or people who put their calls on full-blast speaker and yell at their phone while holding it at mouth level like they are about to eat a hot dog.

I'm pretty much a gaming addict and occasionally I will go to extreme measures to get my fix, but xCloud (on Android at least) doesn't cut it. I am curious to see what it will be like when it improves, and perhaps it can augment my gaming experience at some point, but as long as they keep making direct-attached hardware (and entertaining games) I will stick to playing on consoles.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #27
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Personally i got PS Now and family have been using it on a PS4. The fact you get a bunch of games to download and also stream is quite useful. Although personally i still am not a massive fan of the streaming aspects due to lag etc.

The download versions by themselves present a unique price proposition if you find it on offer.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #28
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Well that's gotta hurt, apple are not allowing xcloud on any of their devices.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Yep, dick move.
Their excuse of each release not being checked by MS is balls....all games get rated checked
Old 08-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #30
Special Member

Nov 2014

I don’t understand why it would matter. I use Splashtop everyday to access my pc and I can run any Windows app, even malware (although that would be silly so I don’t).
I wonder if they can just run it in a browser like their other PAAS/SAAS.

Edit: Upon further reading, I guess the difference is I own my PC and everything is mirrored on my local device vs. an instance that is created w/ your credentials on an xCloud/Azure blade.

I’m not dying to use this service but I am annoyed that I’m being cut out by Apple bureaucracy and the inability to find an Android tablet that doesn’t suck.

Last edited by heyadol; 08-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

So xcloud let you stream gamepass games, not games downloaded on your console? (like Sony's Remote Play)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #32
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
So xcloud let you stream gamepass games, not games downloaded on your console? (like Sony's Remote Play)
Biggest difference though is that remote play is local only as far as I know where as xCloud works anywhere you have a suitable data connection I think.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #33
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I donít understand why it would matter. I use Splashtop everyday to access my pc and I can run any Windows app, even malware (although that would be silly so I donít).
I wonder if they can just run it in a browser like their other PAAS/SAAS.

Edit: Upon further reading, I guess the difference is I own my PC and everything is mirrored on my local device vs. an instance that is created w/ your credentials on an xCloud/Azure blade.

Iím not dying to use this service but I am annoyed that Iím being cut out by Apple bureaucracy and the inability to find an Android tablet that doesnít suck.
I haven't tried this service yet but I have tried streaming games via PlayStation Now and the lag is absolutely horrible. I was playing F1 2019 and even the opening videos and various cutscenes stutter like mad. I couldn't play it, it was like watching a youtube video trying to buffer every 5 seconds and I'm on a 200Mb/s down 21Mb/s up fibre connection with a circa 10-15ms ping.

I'd obviously need to try this out before judging but so far my streaming experiences have been absolutely shite.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #34
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
absolutely shite.
That's a fair review of the beta if you played a game that required reflexes.

Actually, i think a good way to put it into perspective is to consider Bloodstained. I really enjoyed this game and had a lot of fun on Xbox, but my backer copy was for Switch. If you play the unpatched Switch version, that's how Bloodstained was on xCloud...playable, but enough latency that your timing will be off and you will change the way you play to compensate for it.

Last edited by heyadol; 08-08-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #35
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
That's a fair review of the beta if you played a game that required reflexes.

Actually, i think a good way to put it into perspective is to consider Bloodstained. I really enjoyed this game and had a lot of fun on Xbox, but my backer copy was for Switch. If you play the unpatched Switch version, that's how Bloodstained was on xCloud...playable, but enough latency that your timing will be off and you will change the way you play to compensate for it.
About what I expected.

It's the same old story across the board it seems. Stadia is no better. I guess we will need to see 6G roll out before we have a data infrastructure anywhere near capable of running these streaming services.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #36
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
About what I expected.

It's the same old story across the board it seems. Stadia is no better. I guess we will need to see 6G roll out before we have a data infrastructure anywhere near capable of running these streaming services.
Starlink.

Done.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #37
Special Member

Nov 2014

Starlink is looking pretty good for beta users, I hope they reveal pricing and availability soon.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #38
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

31ms latency is pretty damn high isn't it? For gaming that is.

That's a best too, those pings look horrendous. If cloud platforms perform like crap on my fibre connection with 10ms Ping I don't think this is going to make any difference.

Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-15-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X