Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$36.35

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$33.88

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #21

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Microsoft’s Updating Xbox Game Pass Branding

For the past few weeks, we have seen a few changes to Xbox Live and now we can add Xbox Game Pass to the equation. Microsoft announced today a subtle, but important change.

The company is rebranding Xbox Game Pass to simply Game Pass. This move distances the companies Game Pass subscription from being explicitly tied to its gaming console. The company is also changing Xbox Game Pass for PC to simply Game Pass for PC.

While this is a minor update, this may be the start of a bigger transition for Microsoft. The company recently removed Xbox Live pre-paid cards for 12 months from its website and many, myself included, believe that this is the start of phasing out Xbox Live Gold.

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/sta...06896664473600

What will be replacing Xbox Live Gold? The logical conclusion is that GamePass will be the new way that you pay for online services from Microsoft. Does this mean that you will need to subscribe to GamePass instead of Live Gold?

Possibly, but keep in mind, Xbox Live Gold is $9.99 a month before discounts and GamePass is also $9.99 a month as well. Ultimate, which will include xCloud when it is publicly available, is $14.99 a month and also includes Games Pass on PC too. The point here is that this likely won’t cut out a significant amount of revenue from users migrating to the updated service.

Microsoft also recently announced that Halo Infinite’s multiplayer will be free too. This is likely more evidence pointing to the fact that you may no longer need Xbox Live Gold to play online in the near future.
Says Xbox Game Pass
Old 08-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #23
Special Member

May 2016

I just upgraded to GamePass. I already got like $200 worth of games. This thing is an incredible deal. It's nice to be able to really try some games without having to go all in on them.

I'd wanted to try 'Tekken' to see if I liked it, and it seems that I don't.

I also thought 'Moving Out' looked cute. It's okay, but again, I'm glad I saved myself the full purchase price because it'll really only get a bit of play from me and I'll dump it.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Yeah, game pass is most excellent.

A real string to their bow
Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #25

May 2008
Boston

If I am not interested in game pass. If they are getting rid of xbox live, and making online gaming free etc.

But I just want to buy a download game here, and there. Will i need xbox live (which they are getting rid of??) or game pass to do so?

Last edited by Rainet; 09-19-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:47 AM   #26
Special Member

Feb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
If I am not interested in game pass. If they are getting rid of xbox live, and making online gaming free etc.

But I just want to buy a download game here, and there. Will i need xbox live (which they are getting rid of??) or game pass to do so?
You shouldn't. Purchasing and downloading digital games has never required Live or GamePass previously.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #27

Sep 2019

Just bought 3 years of gold for £100 on shop.to (£20 voucher), then instantly converted it to Game Pass Ultimate for an extra £1.

Total saving over three years of about £260.

Result!
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (11-07-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
Just bought 3 years of gold for £100 on shop.to (£20 voucher), then instantly converted it to Game Pass Ultimate for an extra £1.

Result!
I did the same, but messed up by selecting the auto renew option for the first two codes which added 2 free months to the Live sub. Thus I couldn't redeem the third year code so I screwed my self out of 10 months of Gamepass at the cheap conversion rate. Oh well, still a great deal having it through Feb 2023 with the Live subs bought at a discount. Trying to sell the extra year of Live on eBay currently.

Edit: Extra year code sold super fast, so at least only ended up out a couple bucks from my mistake.

Edit2: Realized what happened was the article I used for instructions on redeeming Xbox Live years and converting to Gamepass Ultimate told me to check the autorenew options, then disable before redeeming the next code as you get a free month for accepting. That meant after the first two codes I had two years and two months of Gold, thus couldn't renew the third year. So if you have no Live sub and are trying to redeem three full years to convert, be sure to say no to auto renew for each code redemption so you can redeem the full three years.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 12-03-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

So, I don't need game pass. What option exists for those who play MP casually?

Something should exist?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
So, I don't need game pass. What option exists for those who play MP casually?

Something should exist?
Just regular Xbox Live Gold.

If you want online MP without playing a subscription fee, PC gaming is the only option aside from a few F2P games. Otherwise you need Live Gold (or Gamepass Ultimate) on Xbox, PS+ on PlayStation and Nintendo Online to play on Switch.
Thanks given by:
Matt S (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Just regular Xbox Live Gold.

If you want online MP without playing a subscription fee, PC gaming is the only option aside from a few F2P games. Otherwise you need Live Gold (or Gamepass Ultimate) on Xbox, PS+ on PlayStation and Nintendo Online to play on Switch.
Once my subscription runs out, it should show up as a choice. I hope. thanks
Old 12-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Once my subscription runs out, it should show up as a choice. I hope. thanks
You can also buy codes from Amazon, Newegg etc to redeem and extend your Gold sub.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
You can also buy codes from Amazon, Newegg etc to redeem and extend your Gold sub.
Because I have an active Ultimate, it'll automatically convert any Xbox Live code to the Ultimate. I think I need to wait until that expires, then hopefully I can select it.

They really want people to stay on the Ultimate pass.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Because I have an active Ultimate, it'll automatically convert any Xbox Live code to the Ultimate. I think I need to wait until that expires, then hopefully I can select it.

They really want people to stay on the Ultimate pass.
Ah gotcha. Didn't realize that was the case. Gamepass is the main (only really) reason I bought an XSX. As someone that doesn't replay or collect games it's a crazy good deal. Wish Sony and Nintendo had something similar.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 12-05-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Matt S (12-05-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #35

May 2008
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish View Post

Result!
I thought there was a conversion table. Sounds like for $1 you can convert 3 years of gold to 3 years of Ultimate?

I thought it goes like this?

3 months of Gold 50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold 79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold 4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold 8 months of Ultimate

Right now there a 3 month deal at Xbox.com for $1 then $14.99. I just bought a year of live gold on xbox online. How would i proceed from above? $1 converts a year gold to 4 months ultimate or a year ultimate?
Sooo confusing.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #36

Jan 2013
Saint-Hyacinthe , Canada

Quote:
I thought there was a conversion table. Sounds like for $1 you can convert 3 years of gold to 3 years of Ultimate?

I thought it goes like this?

3 months of Gold 50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold 79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold 4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold 8 months of Ultimate

Right now there a 3 month deal at Xbox.com for $1 then $14.99. I just bought a year of live gold on xbox online. How would i proceed from above? $1 converts a year gold to 4 months ultimate or a year ultimate?
Sooo confusing.

It's not that confusing.

If you don't have Game Pass Ultimate, Microsoft will convert your remaining Gold subscription to Game Pass Ultimate, one to one, for up to 3 years, for 1$.

BUT, if you are already a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and redeem a "Xbox Live Gold" code, then they will convert it in that weird percentage thing, because Xbox Live Gold is cheaper so they can't give you the same amount of time.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #37

May 2008
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBarbeau View Post
It's not that confusing.

If you don't have Game Pass Ultimate, Microsoft will convert your remaining Gold subscription to Game Pass Ultimate, one to one, for up to 3 years, for 1$.

BUT, if you are already a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and redeem a "Xbox Live Gold" code, then they will convert it in that weird percentage thing, because Xbox Live Gold is cheaper so they can't give you the same amount of time.
Never had ultimate before. So just ignore the $14.99 after 3 months which seems to throw me off. I should go ahead and stack 2 more years of gold, then order the $1 upgrade?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #38

Jan 2013
Saint-Hyacinthe , Canada

Quote:
Never had ultimate before. So just ignore the $14.99 after 3 months which seems to throw me off. I should go ahead and stack 2 more years of gold, then order the $1 upgrade?
Yeah, that's the best value. Last year, I bought a 12 month and took the 1$ thing to convert it all and then regretted not buying 2 extra years
Old 12-07-2020, 01:42 AM   #39

May 2016
WA

I can confirm the “trick” still works i just locked in game pass ultimate for a $1 until 1/12/2024!!
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #40

Dec 2007

Same here, I had added 3 years of live gold back in August, and just yesterday upgraded to game pass for $1 and it converted my remaining months.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X