Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$33.88

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6
Default Seagate's Xbox Series Expansion Card - 1TB $219.99

Quote:
“Seagate is thrilled to be a key player in next-generation gaming. With a new standard in performance, games will be more dynamic, visually stunning, and immersive than ever. Seagate's Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card technology delivers additional game storage at peak speeds, replicating the console’s internal SSD experience. We are proud to join forces with Xbox and can’t wait to help gamers immerse themselves in the high-fidelity experience.”

Seagate
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

Wonder if they might do 2TB or more, that would be so expensive though.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I would imagine it being a proprietary device would increase the price too.

A 1tb NVMe PCIe 4.0 would be around £170 off the shelf. I wonder what this will cost?
Old 07-24-2020, 04:12 AM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2014

So XSX is also using PCIe 4, but it is only 2 lanes. 2.4GB/s (raw) is about 60% of the max (theoretical) throughput for 2 PCIe 4 lanes. Still, it's pretty much the performance you would expect from 4 lanes of PCIe 3.

PS5 is likely running 4 lanes, their advertised 5.5GB/s (raw) is about 70% of that max (theoretical) throughput...so it's faster AND more efficient.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Yep, 9GB/s+ of compressed data on PS5 vs 4GB/s+ on xbox.

And you can already see the limitations of the xbox in the new Halo trailer where grass and other objects are popping in to frame. I didn't notice any pop in on the PS5 gameplay demos.

Although I think it's more a case of Halo just not being up to scratch and optimised for Series X because it is one ugly looking next gen game. I feel like they've been rushed to make it a lunch title and given the fact Ray Tracing is coming via a post release update I think this game is gonna take a while to reach its potential graphics wise.

Still a shame we haven't seen any actual gameplay yet from Series X games other than Halo.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Think Sony’s secret sauce is the 12-channel memory controller.

Judging by the speeds MS has provided, it doesn’t look like theirs will be as effective against bottlenecks. Could be 8-channel.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Think Sony’s secret sauce is the 12-channel memory controller.

Judging by the speeds MS has provided, it doesn’t look like theirs will be as effective against bottlenecks. Could be 8-channel.
Yeah, there's no way around it really, it's a physical limitation so there's not really a work around for it. Velocity Architecture etc. still won't allow it to have as much throughput.

The texture and LOD pop in on the Halo gameplay was evidence of that bottleneck. But until we see an actual next gen console exclusive gameplay it's hard to say what it will look like across the board.

Phill Spencer has shot himself in the foot though by saying that being cross gen hasn't held back the graphics, because if Halo was supposed to be indicative of the Series X going forward then I don't think it having 12tf means squat when they don't have the bandwidth to support it.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Yeah, there's no way around it really, it's a physical limitation so there's not really a work around for it. Velocity Architecture etc. still won't allow it to have as much throughput.

The texture and LOD pop in on the Halo gameplay was evidence of that bottleneck. But until we see an actual next gen console exclusive gameplay it's hard to say what it will look like across the board.

Phill Spencer has shot himself in the foot though by saying that being cross gen hasn't held back the graphics, because if Halo was supposed to be indicative of the Series X going forward then I don't think it having 12tf means squat when they don't have the bandwidth to support it.
Look at the Halo 5 beta compared to the actual release. Huge difference in quality. Im sure it will be the same with Halo Infinite.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Look at the Halo 5 beta compared to the actual release. Huge difference in quality. Im sure it will be the same with Halo Infinite.
I have to say that Halo trailer was the PC build. It's also being upscaled from an Xbox One game to a next gen game which does impose limits. Which is a real shame.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2018

Quote:
I have to say that Halo trailer was the PC build. It's also being upscaled from an Xbox One game to a next gen game which does impose limits. Which is a real shame.
Except even third party developers have said this generation is no different than making an amazing PC game that has to run across any number of hardware combinations, and so developing for One and Series isn't actually a limitation they way the internet claims.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #11
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKoA13 View Post
Except even third party developers have said this generation is no different than making an amazing PC game that has to run across any number of hardware combinations, and so developing for One and Series isn't actually a limitation they way the internet claims.
Which would be true if they started out building the game from the ground up on next gen. But by all accounts this game was years in development for Xbox One only switching to Series X part way through. It's not like they can just take an xbox one game flip a switch and have it looking like a series x game built from the ground up.

Key next gen features such as ray Tracing dont exist yet in the build, they will be added in a post release update which tells me they need more time on this game but it's being forced out to meet series x launch date.

If you look at any of the last gen games that got updated to xbox one none of them looked as good as xbox one games built for the ground up.

Or look at The last of Us on PS4, it's an improvement over the PS3 but it's still a PS3 looking game. And next to TLoU2 it's night and day between the graphics.

Halo just needs more time to cook. Having a hard limit on release date sucks because they have to launch it no matter what. But they can keep working at it and make improvements constantly after launch.

I think a lot of people were worried because it was the PC build running it and not series x. Sony have shown off multiple PS5 gameplay demos now and so far MS haven't shown anything playing on Series X hardware which is strange. Here's there big show to show us how powerful the next gen console is and all we got was a PC build that didn't feature any next gen development features.

Last edited by Mavrick; 07-25-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

Getting back to the topic, I do not plan on purchasing this; I have no need for it if I manage few games that I play regularly/currently.

XBL remembers the games I have purchased so there is no need to have old/infrequently-played games taking up the valuable/expensive SSD space.

I'd be more tempted to buy the Elite2 controller instead...
Old 07-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Yeah these are definitely not going to be impulse buys at the prices they will cost.

PS5 won't be much better off because PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs fast enough to work with PS5 will probably more expensive still.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Yeah these are definitely not going to be impulse buys at the prices they will cost.

PS5 won't be much better off because PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs fast enough to work with PS5 will probably more expensive still.
True, but at least we would be paying a small premium for premium performance. Either way, I suppose I will wait on a pricing announcement before crossing it off the list.

Unfortunately this will probably be locked down in someway so we can't just 3D print a similar enclosure and byo SSD. If it is locked down I supposed MS will say it is for our safety of course, ensuring the highest quality blahblahblah, probably something about community and preventing cheating.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Rumour - Xbox Series Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion Priced

Xbox Series X Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion Priced at $219.99

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/stat...97802232852482
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #16
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It's about what I expected for what it is. PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs are not cheap if you can even find one on the market.

Being proprietary doesn't help with the price either. But even if it was an off the shelf part like Sony will be using in the PS5 it will still set you back a good $200+
Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6

Xbox Series X Seagate Price leaked $219.99

Old 09-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #18
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It's safe to say that a large external HDD is going to be the better value option for at least the first couple years. Sure it means you will have to manage your space more often but it's only about $80 for a 4tb USB HDD so you can just transfer everything you don't play on to that and keep your in play games live on the internal storage.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

I think I'll just use my current external SSD until this goes on sale. It'll go on sale eventually
Old 09-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #20
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I think I'll just use my current external SSD until this goes on sale. It'll go on sale eventually
Eventually it will propriety memory has a tendency to remain pricey longer though.

I was thinking external SSD but it isn't worth the price difference considering you cant play any Xbox Series games off of an external storage device.

For me it would be cheaper to get a large slow mass storage device to archive games that I'm not playing, although with gamepass theres probably not going to be a need to store games since they come and go within a couple months and aren't playable after that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X