Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 09-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
So to play next gen games on Series X external storage you have to buy this lol. Wow now thats hidden cost way to go MS. Apparently external HDD wont work for next gen games only current Gen and below.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/24/21...E33Px25pHsptI8
Everyone has known sense both PS5 and Series X was announced you canít play next gen games off off a external HHD. Itís sucks but thatís how it is. From what Iíve been told you can transfer next gen games back and forth from the external HHD to the SSD in the console.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

LOL, if I need the extra space for my Series X I'll just spend a little more and get a Series S, too.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
Everyone has known sense both PS5 and Series X was announced you canít play next gen games off off a external HHD. Itís sucks but thatís how it is. From what Iíve been told you can transfer next gen games back and forth from the external HHD to the SSD in the console.
Yes you can transfer installed games to a standard USB external then transfer them back to the internal when you're ready to play them. As long as you have at least a USB 3.0 drive it should only take a couple of minutes to do so. Not that big of a deal.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

If it really is $280 forget that. They knowingly are screwing us this coming gen with these low *** storage consoles just for a little bit faster speeds. And to top it all of we don’t have any real affordable options to add extra storage. And no I’m not going to keep moving games back and forth. What is their logic this coming gen? They clearly want us to buy less games meaning less money for them.

Last edited by Batman90; 09-24-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #45
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
You didnt read the article right. You can play Next Gen games off the external device as long as its this device. You cannot use a standard USB HDD for next gen games only current Gen. MS is forcing people to buy this or their authorized segate expansion modules only to get the full benefits unlike PS5 where u can just drop in a PCIE 4.0 Nvme HDD.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #46
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

I pulled the trigger at Target... at least with the red card and this weeks bonus 5% it came out to $216.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I pulled the trigger at Target... at least with the red card and this weeks bonus 5% it came out to $216.
Cancelled my Best Buy pre-order and went through Target. Saved me $21.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #48
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
So to play next gen games on Series X external storage you have to buy this lol. Wow now thats hidden cost way to go MS. Apparently external HDD wont work for next gen games only current Gen and below.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/24/21...E33Px25pHsptI8
MS didn't hide the fact to be fair neither did Sony. Its understandable considering theres no external storage device on earth that is anywhere near as fast as the internal SSDs that are inside Xbox and PS5.

This is why a lot of people have been talking about buying a big external USB drive and just transferring games they're not playing to that instead of deleting and reinstalling every time.

PS5 is going to be just as bad if not worse since theres no standard and we have to rely on a lost of 3rd party SSDs that Sony has tested if we want to upgrade that. And those SSDs will he just as expensive if not more so than this since they will be brand new to the market this year.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
MS didn't hide the fact to be fair neither did Sony. Its understandable considering theres no external storage device on earth that is anywhere near as fast as the internal SSDs that are inside Xbox and PS5.

This is why a lot of people have been talking about buying a big external USB drive and just transferring games they're not playing to that instead of deleting and reinstalling every time.

PS5 is going to be just as bad if not worse since theres no standard and we have to rely on a lost of 3rd party SSDs that Sony has tested if we want to upgrade that. And those SSDs will he just as expensive if not more so than this since they will be brand new to the market this year.
No until this announcement they did hide you need the external storage device they approve to play Gen 5 games loaded on the storage. Sony at least you can install a internal PCIE nvme 4.0 HDD. And believe me it will be about 50% cheaper when you look at the costs.

Articles have said Sony will let us know which drives are PS4 compatible for optimal usage they have already named the Samsung 980 evo as compatible
Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
No until this announcement they did hide you need the external storage device they approve to play Gen 5 games loaded on the storage. Sony at least you can install a internal PCIE nvme 4.0 HDD. And believe me it will be about 50% cheaper when you look at the costs.

Articles have said Sony will let us know which drives are PS4 compatible for optimal usage they have already named the Samsung 980 evo as compatible
They never hide it. As much as I dislike it thereís nothing that can be done about it. Eventually Iím sure other places will make bigger storage cards for the Series X. All we can do is right now is either buy or buy a big HHD and transfer our Series X games from and to the internal SSD.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:

I'm pretty sure all this was known. This news is actually better than what I thought beforehand, as I thought that you can store games on an external, but not play them. The fact you can actually play them is news to me.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #52
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:

The new 980 Evo launching soon is the only PCIe Gen 4 SSD so far that has benchmarked anywhere near the PS5s internal I/O and that costs £230 for 1TB.

That hasn't been rated to work by Sony yet, the trouble is the PS5 uses more lanes on its custom solution than is available on the PCIe 4 SSDs announced for this year. Cerny said that any off the shelf SSD is going to have to be faster than the custom SSD inside the PS5 in order to compensate for that so until the list is out I'm not even going to guess which ones will work and which ones won't.

USB storage will let you play last gen titles without enhancements and archive current games.

The price of this proprietary storage is going to be the same as whatever 1TB solution is approved for PS5 use end of the year. Only advantage to the PS5 is that over time prices will drop because of competition where as Seagate holding a monopoly over the custom solution doesn't bold well for Xbox and proprietary storage media traditionally stays a lot more expensive than off the shelf solutions.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #53
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
I'm pretty sure all this was known. This news is actually better than what I thought beforehand, as I thought that you can store games on an external, but not play them. The fact you can actually play them is news to me.
I can't even remember which conference it was, PS5 or Xbox but either way both let you play last gen games off of the USB drive because that's something that you can do today on current consoles, that's only because current internal HDD are slow as hell so the USB drive matches those speeds.

You won't be able to play enhanced titles off the USB though, so Gears with next gen enhancements for example will only be playable from the internal or expansion storage, if you have it on the USB then you will only be able to play the Xbox One version.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
I can't even remember which conference it was, PS5 or Xbox but either way both let you play last gen games off of the USB drive because that's something that you can do today on current consoles, that's only because current internal HDD are slow as hell so the USB drive matches those speeds.

You won't be able to play enhanced titles off the USB though, so Gears with next gen enhancements for example will only be playable from the internal or expansion storage, if you have it on the USB then you will only be able to play the Xbox One version.
Yeah, I'm okay with that. I usually go in between like 4-5 games at a time, max.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #55
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Just to prove this HDD situation was a known quantity here's one of the articles from March talking about it https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu...xbox-series-x/ https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...rd-drive-guide

Last edited by Mavrick; 09-24-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ashamed Pegasus (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #56
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Yeah, I'm okay with that. I usually go in between like 4-5 games at a time, max.
To be honest I'm expecting to be able to store between 6-8 big AAA titles on the Series X. I don't know if anybody actively plays more games than that at any one time but that seems like a reasonable amount of games to have at any one time and about what I get on my current 1TB.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
To be honest I'm expecting to be able to store between 6-8 big AAA titles on the Series X. I don't know if anybody actively plays more games than that at any one time but that seems like a reasonable amount of games to have at any one time and about what I get on my current 1TB.
That's why I am cool with it as well. It isn't ideal, but I did some calculations myself and it will be awhile before I truly feel the need for this. I am sure I will get one eventually, in fact I am certain - but actually needing it is going to be down the line.

Taking a look at what games I know I'll be transferring because I play them regularly, and it's like 425GB. Aside from those, that leaves me space for another 4 or 5 AAA titles, and I rarely am going to be playing more than that at once, until any make it to my "regular must have on tap" pile. At that point, I'll consider the upgrade if transferring them from the existing drive I have is really such a bother.

Do we know Seagate has full-exclusivity, or just so far/at launch? I'm hoping by the time I need one, a 2TB one will be available at this price...LOL.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #58
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
That's why I am cool with it as well. It isn't ideal, but I did some calculations myself and it will be awhile before I truly feel the need for this. I am sure I will get one eventually, in fact I am certain - but actually needing it is going to be down the line.

Taking a look at what games I know I'll be transferring because I play them regularly, and it's like 425GB. Aside from those, that leaves me space for another 4 or 5 AAA titles, and I rarely am going to be playing more than that at once, until any make it to my "regular must have on tap" pile. At that point, I'll consider the upgrade if transferring them from the existing drive I have is really such a bother.

Do we know Seagate has full-exclusivity, or just so far/at launch? I'm hoping by the time I need one, a 2TB one will be available at this price...LOL.
At the moment they are the only ones, I'm sure there will be others in time.

Looking at current prices a 2TB would set you back about $400 if they offered one

SSD prices haven't dropped as fast as I assumed they would either.

PCIe Gen 3 are still pretty high. The 1TB I've been looking at getting for my PC hasn't dropped below £190 yet and I've been watching it for a year

Hopefully now the Gen 4s are launching the Gen 3s will drop but that doesn't help pricing of the Gen 4s which are likely going to stay in the $200 range for quite some time.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #59
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

On series X you can have multiple games open at the same time and switch between them.

While you're waiting in the lobby for the next match you could be playing another game.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
On series X you can have multiple games open at the same time and switch between them.

While you're waiting in the lobby for the next match you could be playing another game.
That's one of the performance reasons that I'm fine with putting up with the HD situation. It will be nice for video streaming apps, too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X