Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$42.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$34.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 11-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz
Default Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I know there's already a thread for this in the PS4 and also the PS5 section, but figured there's nothing wrong with the Xbox section getting some of these as well.

No real need to put any trailers or anything in here, as we all pretty much know everything at this point. You can pre-load it now though if you want, as I just tried starting the installation via the Xbox App on my phone. I'm going to enjoy that new feature, but anyways, people can get a head start on installing it already so you have it done well before launch day.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

10 minutes of gameplay were released today of the game on Series X...

Old 11-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Seems to be pretty well received so far. Surprising because the initial reveal and gameplay didn't look to impressive to me.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox...creed-valhalla
Old 11-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since 3. They were all very repetitive back then. Are they still?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Feb 2020

I've got it pre-loaded on my Xbox One X. Hoping to buy a Series X online tomorrow, but either way I'll be playing this one on launch. I unexpectedly fell in love with Odyssey so they got me on the hook day one.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since 3. They were all very repetitive back then. Are they still?
Definitely not. I hated the old Assassins Creed games whereas Origins and Odyssey are a blast. They've definitely improved and I expect Valhalla to be the same.
Thanks given by:
RustinCohle (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Seems to be pretty well received so far. Surprising because the initial reveal and gameplay didn't look to impressive to me.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox...creed-valhalla
Had to be early builds of the game up until recently since it looks great on the Series X. I also think it was an early build of it on Xbox One and not next gen.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Thanks given by:
heyadol (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

1440p res and only 30fps on the Series S. Disappointing. Was expecting at least an option for 1080p 60fps.
Thanks given by:
Derb (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Feb 2020

This game is pretty dope you guys
Old 11-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Had to be early builds of the game up until recently since it looks great on the Series X. I also think it was an early build of it on Xbox One and not next gen.
I think so too.

Though after watching SX & PS5 Gameplay in 4K, the only standout is the open world. Combat & Character models look very familiar to Odyssey.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2011

This game is ridiculously good - having an absolute blast.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:37 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Yep, about 10 hours in and it's great. Better than Odyssey. Feels like they learned a lot from that game. Eivor is a much more rounded and consistent character than Kassandra was, likely because they focused in on their characterization, rather than having the player craft Eivor personality themselves. Side quests in particular are much better. All unique and not a series of "go there, kill X amount of baddies, come back" fetch quests.
Thanks given by:
Derb (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Yep, about 10 hours in and it's great. Better than Odyssey. Feels like they learned a lot from that game. Eivor is a much more rounded and consistent character than Kassandra was, likely because they focused in on their characterization, rather than having the player craft Eivor personality themselves. Side quests in particular are much better. All unique and not a series of "go there, kill X amount of baddies, come back" fetch quests.
Funny that there is a character in Valhalla you probably met already that looks identical to Kassandra. Hair style & all.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Funny that there is a character in Valhalla you probably met already that looks identical to Kassandra. Hair style & all.
Randvi does look a bit like Kassandra. There's enough differences in game it didn't bother me but I see the complaints lol.

About 17 hours in now. Fully 100% the starting area in Norway, as well as made headway in Ledecestersire. I really love how little gear it there is. Still wearing my starting armor set. I found more gear pieces, but I'm sticking with my full set. I love that each piece feels like worthwhile. I remember not being able to go ten feet in Odyssey without tripping over a piece of useless gear. It's a nice change of pace.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

So would someone who loved the "modern day" story (and pissed they let that go), and felt that the newer games were a little "too big"/ almost had too much to do..

But loved Black Flag...

Would I like it?
Old 11-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #17

Feb 2020

This games was awesome first 10 hours, started to dip at 15, and now at 24 I can say its really good. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and running through guys which I didn't expect, but it was a matter of finding my weapons/playstyle that make that fun. Once I started using a dagger and just shanking fools I fell in love. You can run up and just stab a dude 20 times in the ribs to kill him. It's kind of amazing how fast the knife is. Any bosses that are tougher than that I cheese with the slow motion arrow ability. I got enough adrenaline bars now to just run train.

The star of the show here is the exploration of the world finding mini-side quests and treasure puzzles. The variety here is staggering especially for an Ubisoft game. Plus the world is gorgeous to look at which doesn't hurt.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
So would someone who loved the "modern day" story (and pissed they let that go), and felt that the newer games were a little "too big"/ almost had too much to do..

But loved Black Flag...

Would I like it?
Valhalla definitely has more modern day segments in it when compared to Origins and Odyssey. However its still not a whole lot compared to the older AC titles.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Valhalla definitely has more modern day segments in it when compared to Origins and Odyssey. However its still not a whole lot compared to the older AC titles.
Yeah I figured modern day is dead...but it is what it is.

So it's more like the last two, gameplay wise? Super open and a million things to do?
Old 11-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Yeah I figured modern day is dead...but it is what it is.

So it's more like the last two, gameplay wise? Super open and a million things to do?
Yes and no. It is super open, with a million things to do. However, unlike Origins and Odyssey, they aren't the SAME million things to do. There's a shocking amount of variety and fun to be had in Valhalla. I'm 20 hours in. No single side quest has had the same, or even similar, objectives. There's also a lot more classic elements, like social stealth. There's also far more parkour. Not anywhere close to the games prior to origins, but it's there. You even have to chase down tattoo designs like you did with shanties in Black Flag.

It's easily the best AC since black flag, with Eivor being the best protagonist since Edward. I'm not saying it's perfect mind you, but it's a definite improvement over the previous two entries, and I actually really liked both Origins and Odyssey.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X