Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 4 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
10 hrs ago
The Night of the Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
10 hrs ago
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema XIV (Blu-ray)
$30.49
6 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 hr ago
The Longest Yard 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
12 hrs ago
Scream VI 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96
14 hrs ago
Mexico Macabre: Four Sinister Tales from the Alameda Films Vault, 1959-1963 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Danza Macabra Vol. One: The Italian Gothic Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$100.31
3 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99

Stone Cold (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
Max Fleischer's Superman (Blu-ray)
$26.62
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 10-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #2521
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Your scarasm is wasted Wendell. Everyone knows why the Plasma TV tech died. And once again you are uninformed. Panasonic continues to sell TVs - just not in the US. Big brand in the UK. They are selling tons of OLEDs.
Actually I am informed as I need to be, my theater below. How about posting yours for comparison?

It is true that I do not follow consumer TV technology very closely, just not interested. I do keep up with some of the professional monitors even tho I am retired and will probably never use one again. My main interest is video projectors.

Folks here, they know my interest and know your agenda.

[Show spoiler]

Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #2522
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
UHD BD seems to be having a growth spurt. Catalog titles are coming out from everywhere and the top 50 market share is up in the mid teens consistently (whereas last year it would only get in the teens when high profile titles came out).
I have been surprised by some of the catalog that has made it to UHD BD. How well do you think TG: Maverick will sell on BD and UHD BD?
Old 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #2523
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
And how much influence have they had on the US disc market? It's still dropping by 18% a year. IMO - very little if any. The WW disc market is losing almost $1B a year. All that's left is 3 years worth at that rate of loss.
For clarity, you're suggesting there will be no disc sales by 2025?
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #2524
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
I have been surprised by some of the catalog that has made it to UHD BD. How well do you think TG: Maverick will sell on BD and UHD BD?

I haven't been following sales like I used to, so I can't say. Hopefully it'll do well. But all the catalogs coming out and the surging sales has peaked my interest, so I might start following it again.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-18-2022), Steedeel (10-07-2022), Wendell R. Breland (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #2525
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
That's not gonna happen. I think this sales will bottom out eventually and then start to rise but really never go away. At least in our lifetime. There always be interest in physical media from a/v enthusiasts and collectors, and I believe physical media will always be a step ahead of digital in terms of quality and features.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (10-18-2022), slimjean (10-08-2022), Steedeel (10-07-2022), Wendell R. Breland (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #2526
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I think this sales will bottom out eventually and then start to rise but really never go away.
I never thought LD would last more than 10 years past the introduction of DVD but it did. Who would have thought it would be around 2015 before Sony pulled the plug for Betamax.

OT: Curious, did you ever dispense with your FMP-X10? I rarely use my D-Theater machine anymore but can not bring myself to remove it. Amazing how many tapes are listed on eBay and the asking prices.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:21 PM   #2527
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
I never thought LD would last more than 10 years past the introduction of DVD but it did. Who would have thought it would be around 2015 before Sony pulled the plug for Betamax.
By 2001, LaserDisc had been completely replaced by DVD in the North American retail marketplace, as media was no longer being produced. Players were still exported to North America from Japan until the end of 2001.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:25 PM   #2528
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
I
OT: Curious, did you ever dispense with your FMP-X10? I rarely use my D-Theater machine anymore but can not bring myself to remove it. Amazing how many tapes are listed on eBay and the asking prices.
yes, I still have it. I never sell anything unfortunately. I am a little upset with Sony for removing access to the movies that I purchased, thereby bricking the player as well. I didn't think that was necessary, as Samsung also had 4K movies on a hard drive, that I purchased, and can play them anytime because Internet access is no longer required. So they could have done what Samsung did, but they chose not to. Very disappointing and it has soured my interest on digital purchases altogether. (not that there was much interest to begin, other than movies unavailable on disc in the same or better quality)

Another reason why physical media will always be around.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-07-2022), Wendell R. Breland (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #2529
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
Which contradicts his earlier post claiming disc had 5-7 years left.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #2530
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Your scarasm is wasted Wendell. Everyone knows why the Plasma TV tech died. And once again you are uninformed. Panasonic continues to sell TVs - just not in the US. Big brand in the UK. They are selling tons of OLEDs.
Which is what he stated. He even asked if they still sell in U.K. he never once claimed they do not still sell in other countries.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #2531
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Which is what he stated. He even asked if they still sell in U.K. he never once claimed they do not still sell in other countries.
Right - he was just trying to be "cute" by saying if Panasonic doesn't sell TVs in the US - then there will be no TVs to sell -
Old 10-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #2532
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Which contradicts his earlier post claiming disc had 5-7 years left.
What? No sense of humor?
Old 10-07-2022, 10:40 PM   #2533
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Right - he was just trying to be "cute" by saying if Panasonic doesn't sell TVs in the US - then there will be no TVs to sell -
I was relating to your ‘uninformed’ comment. He never claimed to be anything else in that specific instance, hence he asked if Panasonic still sold in U.K.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:41 PM   #2534
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
What? No sense of humor?
Well, you are certainly a comedian suggesting disc would die within a ten year period.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:41 PM   #2535
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I am a little upset with Sony for removing access to the movies that I purchased, thereby bricking the player as well.
Does that mean you can not use it as a streamer (IIRC Netflix and Amazon)? If so, that is insult to injury. Alas, we did have to agree to this before it could be used.

Similar happened to me with Dish, I purchased all my own HD hardware then about 2006 Dish switched from H.262 to H.264 making my $1000 worth of hardware useless. Used one receiver as a ATSC tuner but after awhile it stopped working.

Last edited by Wendell R. Breland; 10-07-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #2536
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I was relating to your ‘uninformed’ comment. He never claimed to be anything else in that specific instance, hence he asked if Panasonic still sold in U.K.
Correct.

The entire point was: just because Oppo and Samsung stopped Blu-ray manufacture did not mean an end to Blu-ray player availability and provided info on newcomers and other references. I used the loss of well known US TV brands that the loss of them did not stop the manufacture and availability of TV sets. Folks really need to stop the reference to Oppo and Samsung as proof of the sky is falling on Blu-ray.

My first, second and third Blu-ray player were Panasonic, kept trading up.

I forgot about Magnavox and Westinghouse when listing former US makers. In the trade we refereed to the Magnavox as a “maggot box”.

Also forgot about JVC TV’s, long gone as a TV brand but JVC/Kenwood still makes great projectors. Am told Kenwood makes some good amateur radios, here.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #2537
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
The entire point was: just because Oppo and Samsung stopped Blu-ray manufacture did not mean an end to Blu-ray player availability and provided info on newcomers and other references.
And who suggested that? All you did was provide a Strawman Argument. Typical BTW.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:05 PM   #2538
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Well, you are certainly a comedian suggesting disc would die within a ten year period.
It will - like all things - they come to an end. The market will be so small that studios just won't bother anymore.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #2539
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
And who suggested that? All you did was provide a Strawman Argument. Typical BTW.
You were the one that made that post and we both know why you did it along with other members here.

Try as hard as you can you will not deter the home theater enthusiast here, most will always seek the best available source for content and that is Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray and an alternate in Kaleidescape. No number of negative post by you will change that.

Myself and many others here make this site possible by clicking thru titles and purchasing on Amazon. If not for us you would not even be here.
Thanks given by:
slimjean (10-08-2022), Steedeel (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 12:10 AM   #2540
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Does that mean you can not use it as a streamer (IIRC Netflix and Amazon)? If so, that is insult to injury. Alas, we did have to agree to this before it could be used.

Similar happened to me with Dish, I purchased all my own HD hardware then about 2006 Dish switched from H.262 to H.264 making my $1000 worth of hardware useless. Used one receiver as a ATSC tuner but after awhile it stopped working.
I don't know if it works for streaming or not but I use my TV for that anyway. I don't remember reading/agreeing that I may be at risk of losing my movie purchases. Hardware being made obsolete I can understand. But I purchased the viewing rights for those movies via download and just because they shut down the server doesn't mean my player can't play the downloads anymore. They could have removed the Internet access requirement to play the downloads, but they chose to give a big FU to their customers.

But I'm not one to hold a grudge against Sony, after all I got three big screen TV's of theirs in my house. I just learned my lesson regarding purchasing purchasing digital movies that's all. That there's a real risk involved and one that I would rather not take.
Thanks given by:
m_wilkerson (10-08-2022), Steedeel (10-08-2022), Wendell R. Breland (10-08-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology