Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 9 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Classic Hitchcock (Blu-ray)
$64.99
23 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #5921
Special Member

Jan 2014
North of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
You're still commenting in Star Wars threads, so there must be something there.
Opinions are not confined to subjects that we like. If that were so, social media platforms such as Twitter would be rather quiet wouldn't they?
Thanks given by:
cannonball22 (09-24-2018), IndyMLVC (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #5922
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsawJedi View Post
I remember my own mixed response to the initial announcement that George Lucas had sold Lucasfilm to Disney and the promise of a new trilogy of films with a so-called anthology movie released in every other year. Back then I thought it sounded like Disney was promising too much and, for me, the subsequent delivery of those films has been less than exciting.

I welcomed the three-year build-up between the original movies and, whilst I would like to see a return to that, I do have to wonder whether it might be a little too late for this once celebrated franchise.
I understand Disney spent a lot of money buying Lucasfilm, and wanted to make their money back, but I don’t know why they felt they needed to get the ball rolling so quickly, demanding that Ep 7 came out in 2015. Wouldn’t it have been wiser to spend a bit longer getting the story nailed down, like Michael Arndt was doing with his script? That also would’ve given all the subsequent films more development time too. It just seems a bit odd, I mean, would another 1 or 2 years really have mattered to Disney? They still would’ve made a ton of cash, but perhaps certain areas of the films would’ve been improved.

It seems a bit mad really, George released his 6 films over 28 years, but Disney has released 4 films in less than 2 1/2 years!

Last edited by Indiana Jonezzz...; 09-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
ArrestedDevelopment (09-25-2018), ChainsawJedi (09-23-2018), mikeyfridebuzz (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #5923

Jul 2016
Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan

Quote:
I remember my own mixed response to the initial announcement that George Lucas had sold Lucasfilm to Disney and the promise of a new trilogy of films with a so-called anthology movie released in every other year. Back then I thought it sounded like Disney was promising too much and, for me, the subsequent delivery of those films has been less than exciting.

I welcomed the three-year build-up between the original movies and, whilst I would like to see a return to that, I do have to wonder whether it might be a little too late for this once celebrated franchise.
I suspect it is something we all should’ve been prepared for, considering that if you account for the quality spread of films in general, the more an output increases the more probable it will reflect the general trends.

The Disney releases still entertain me a sufficient amount that I won’t be abandoning the franchise any time soon, but would certainly favor a longer interim with a better payoff.
Thanks given by:
mikeyfridebuzz (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #5924
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

I love everything Disney has done. Once IX is released, we will have a new complete Star Wars trilogy that was very much needed after the poorly received prequels. Rogue One was better than anything I could have imagined. They tried something new with Solo and even though I am not crazy about the casting, it was highly entertaining. I love Rebels and cant wait for Resistance. They have a live action series in the works and that's something I've been wanting for 40 years!

If they want to take a break and figure out exactly where to go from here, then more power to 'em. They have those Game of Thrones producers working on a project and Rian Johnson working on one as well. I am sure they will come up with something outstanding.

It's an absolute great time to be a Star Wars fan!
Thanks given by:
bferr1972 (09-25-2018), Hardkore (09-24-2018), Porco Azzurro (09-23-2018), Star Lord (09-23-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #5925
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I have loved each of the Disney films minus The Last Jedi. I have zero interest in any of the proposed TV shows. If getting the quality of TFA, RO and Solo and not the awfulness of TLJ means Disney takes a different approach and slows down their release schedule I am all for it. I am also super excited that JJ Abrams is back with Episode IX which I find kind of surprising because other than TFA and Fringe I have loathed everything he has ever been involved with.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #5926
Special Member

Aug 2011

I found TFA to be a harmless and enjoyable soft reboot. Rogue One was interesting and passable but I also admired that it was "different" than other SW movies while still keeping the Star Wars spirit and tone alive. Luke's depiction ruins TLJ for me. Solo was on par with TFA as another harmless movie. I'm looking forward to seeing what JJ does with Ep 9 and how much it does or doesn't retcon TLJ.

So far Disney hasn't smacked one out of the park yet though.

I find it interesting that for all the praise that some give Rian's TLJ for being "different", Rogue One was the first one to really do so. It was the first real "war" movie in a movie franchise that has "Wars" in the title. It's far more daring to convince an audience to focus on an unknown group of rebels without relying on the nostalgia of legacy characters to bring butts to seats.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #5927
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Quote:
I do have to wonder whether it might be a little too late for this once celebrated franchise.
Quote:
You're still commenting in Star Wars threads, so there must be something there.
Quote:
Opinions are not confined to subjects that we like. If that were so, social media platforms such as Twitter would be rather quiet wouldn't they?
I'm just saying there must still be some interest in Star Wars if you're still talking and thinking about it. The time to worry would be when no one is even talking about it anymore, and that looks to be no time soon.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #5928
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
I'm just saying there must still be some interest in Star Wars if you're still talking and thinking about it. The time to worry would be when no one is even talking about it anymore, and that looks to be no time soon.
Being divisive and controversial while drumming up conversation is far different from being good for the continued success of a Franchise.

People are still referencing Ghostbusters (2016) two years later but I highly doubt there will be any sequels anytime soon regardless of what Paul Feig would like.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #5929
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
Here

Star Wars Explained just posted a video speculating about the Knights of Ren and their involvement in Episode IX, based on an entry in the updated Visual Dictionary. They are now confirmed as Dark Side users, and the speculation is that they'll act as Kylo's enforcers, which he'll need to protect himself from Hux. The thinking is that the updated entry in the dictionary is an early clue pointing to their involvement in the film.

I now see TLJ and the whole "kill the past" thing as potentially a way for Kylo to separate himself from the Sith Rule of Two, allowing for a squad of Dark Side users to be seen for the first time in a SW movie. I hope I'm not wrong!

Last edited by bferr1972; 09-24-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
mwynn (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #5930
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
DMV

So the Knights of Ren are just the new Praetorian Guards, which themselves were updates of the red-robed guards we'd seen in the PT and OT. It all rhymes lol.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #5931
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
So the Knights of Ren are just the new Praetorian Guards, which themselves were updates of the red-robed guards we'd seen in the PT and OT. It all rhymes lol.
In the role they might play, yes. But I think Dark Side ability is the real difference-maker here....
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #5932
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1972 View Post
In the role they might play, yes. But I think Dark Side ability is the real difference-maker here....
True. Dark side needs some warriors to fight against the light if this is supposed to be a war-ish movie.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #5933
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
True. Dark side needs some warriors to fight against the light if this is supposed to be a war-ish movie.
That video speculates the Knights of Ren could take a more proactive role in the story, like the Inquisitors in SW Rebels.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #5934
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Right. This is a no brainer. I dont get why people get worked up over any negative comments about a movie. Im a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan but when people say its boring, bloated, whatever.... it doesnt bother me. Unless there is some alterior motive or circumstances that we dont know about.
Thanks given by:
mikeyfridebuzz (09-24-2018), Vandal Savage (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #5935
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Right. This is a no brainer. I dont get why people get worked up over any negative comments about a movie. Im a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan but when people say its boring, bloated, whatever.... it doesnt bother me. Unless there is some alterior motive or circumstances that we dont know about.
THIS!

I'll even go as far as to say that I can understand why someone would say they are boring and bloated, but that doesn't stop me from popping in the glorious extended editions and loving every second of them.

I certainly don't feel the need to take personal offense with anonymous strangers on the internet that don't agree with me because all that matters is my own opinion when it comes to what I appreciate. I do not feel threatened by opposing viewpoints or critical discussion.
Thanks given by:
ChainsawJedi (09-24-2018), s2mikey (09-24-2018), Vandal Savage (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #5936
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

There have been a few people that reply a bit too harshly when someone says something negative, but for the most part, people appear to be having pleasant debates.

Don’t forget too there are those who launch into caustic hyperbole regarding comments praising the movies they hate as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #5937
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfridebuzz View Post
People are still referencing Ghostbusters (2016) two years later....
True but they're not doing it in seventeen different Ghostbusters threads
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #5938
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
There have been a few people that reply a bit too harshly when someone says something negative, but for the most part, people appear to be having pleasant debates.

Don’t forget too there are those who launch into caustic hyperbole regarding comments praising the movies they hate as well.

The harshness isn't that big of a deal honestly because that says more about the person making the comment.

It's the over defensiveness that I don't relate to.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #5939
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
True but they're not doing it in seventeen different Ghostbusters threads
That's because the reputation of Star Wars and TFA itself was successful enough to warrant a sequel and continue the franchise.

Ghostbusters 2016 killed it right out of the gate.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #5940
Special Member

Jan 2014
North of England

Quote:
I love everything Disney has done. Once IX is released, we will have a new complete Star Wars trilogy that was very much needed after the poorly received prequels.
Seems to me you're determined to love these new films irrespective of how the final instalment turns out. I'm not sure how anyone can have such confidence in a movie that hasn't even been made yet. Perhaps you're a little too close to the subject matter to have an objective view.
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (09-24-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies