Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$94.99
16 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$61.12
17 hrs ago
Queens of Scream - Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.88
17 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Batman/Superman Anthology (Blu-ray)
$37.99
 
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
amen to that, if you haven't seen IH you should check it out
My Netflix Queue is ready to explode form all the great suggestions here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
Sussudio Sussudio is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Sep 2008
1
1
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpaltonnel View Post
My Netflix Queue is ready to explode form all the great suggestions here.
PUT ICE HARVEST ON TOP
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #43
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
PUT ICE HARVEST ON TOP
with a cherry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #44
mreilly611 mreilly611 is offline
Special Member
 
mreilly611's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
4th Planet from the Sun
37
154
Default

Ice Harvest is on TBS HD & TBS on 2/10 at 2:00am eastern time. Get those DVR's going. The movie is listed as The Ice Harvest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #45
Sussudio Sussudio is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Sep 2008
1
1
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreilly611 View Post
Ice Harvest is on TBS HD & TBS on 2/10 at 2:00am eastern time. Get those DVR's going. The movie is listed as The Ice Harvest.
nice catch!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 AM   #46
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

My Word of outh Gem of the day is....."Half Nelson" (2006)

Ryan Fleck's feature film debut tells the story of an unlikely friendship that helps a self-destructive educator pull it together. In his struggle to balance his personal and professional lives, inner-city teacher Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling, in an Oscar-nominated role) spends most of his time nursing hangovers. But who could've known that a life-changing lesson would come from one of his students (Shareeka Epps)? Gosling and Epps both won Independent Spirit awards for their lead roles.

checkit checkit out!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 AM   #47
lnh_boy lnh_boy is online now
Active Member
 
lnh_boy's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
2130
1749
2210
484
181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.

Atheist clown cars and god talking through a bowl of cherries FTW!

Logan
The Power of Christ Impales You
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #48
lnh_boy lnh_boy is online now
Active Member
 
lnh_boy's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
2130
1749
2210
484
181
Default

I just saw a couple of fun flicks this weekend...

Someone To Eat Cheese With - Jeff Garlin (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Sarah Silverman, Bonnie Hunt

Repo! The Genetic Opera - Fun mix of horror and musical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #49
K Money K Money is offline
Member
 
K Money's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Atlanta, GA
645
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpaltonnel View Post
My Word of outh Gem of the day is....."Half Nelson" (2006)

Ryan Fleck's feature film debut tells the story of an unlikely friendship that helps a self-destructive educator pull it together. In his struggle to balance his personal and professional lives, inner-city teacher Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling, in an Oscar-nominated role) spends most of his time nursing hangovers. But who could've known that a life-changing lesson would come from one of his students (Shareeka Epps)? Gosling and Epps both won Independent Spirit awards for their lead roles.

checkit checkit out!
+1!!!

This movie was great. I saw it thankfully because I have a good group of friends who make it a pact to see every Oscar-nominated film in the "Big 7" categories. (Film, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Directing, and Filmography) Gosling's performance is simply amazing.


My movie I will add is "Synecdoche, New York (2008)" I've always been a fan of Charlie Kaufman, but his directing matched with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's screen acting was truly phenomenal. I'm upset it didn't get any sort of nomination this year of any kind. Too limited a release I suppose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #50
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Money View Post
+1!!!

This movie was great. I saw it thankfully because I have a good group of friends who make it a pact to see every Oscar-nominated film in the "Big 7" categories. (Film, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Directing, and Filmography) Gosling's performance is simply amazing.


My movie I will add is "Synecdoche, New York (2008)" I've always been a fan of Charlie Kaufman, but his directing matched with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's screen acting was truly phenomenal. I'm upset it didn't get any sort of nomination this year of any kind. Too limited a release I suppose.
"Synecdoche, New York" i missed it, remember really wanting to see it though...i'm not sure it expanded well in my area. i recall being moved by the trailer. good call
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #51
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

"Virgin Suicides" (1999)



This is an outstanding drama that I have seen several times. A wonderful and beautifully filmed sad story of family dysfunction. Sofia Coppola does an excellent job of direction.

A boy/man buttery dream like fantasy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Darko Darko is offline
Active Member
 
Darko's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
1039
Default

Murder Party
If you like off beat comedy,low budget do it yourself cinema. Has horror elements as well as great commentary on egotistical artistic types.

If you like Murder Party or another low budget indie The Puffy Chair you may like ...

Baghead
It's another slight wink and laugh at artistic types. The kind that talk a great game about making art but never create it. Plus toss in some slight horror elements. You might see the ending from a mile away but I love little movies like this.


Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
If you like movies that poke fun of genera movies without actually having "Blank" MOVIE as the title. Another low budget indie flick that deconstructs the way we look at famous movie killers. A How to Guide to being Jason, Freddy, or Michael.

The Visitor
While it is now known due to its lead actor getting a well deserved acting nod, I still find people have not seen this movie. It's been out now on blu and dvd for awhile. It's a great movie with a knockout performance.


Martin
A very different and stylish vampire or maybe not vampire movie. Directed by George A. Romero and starring in a small part Tom Savini.


American Movie
Really funny but heart felt doc about a guy who wants to make a movie.


The Chumscrubber
Interesting look in a humorous/sad way of prescription drugs and its effects.Kind of reminds me of Donnie Darko but not really.

A Face in the Crowd
Way ahead of it's time. If you watch it now you can see much of what happens in that movie is the way the world now works today.

Happy Accidents
Interesting love story which I find is hard to really pull off.

Johnny Got His Gun
A real mind trip if you can find this one.


Life as a House and Shattered Glass Good drama's and Hayden shows he's not so wooden.Shocker I know!

Dogville and Manderlay These are not for everyone but if you like them you will find them brilliant.

Being There While this one may or not be known to people I found this to be a masterpiece. Peter Sellers blows me away. Also see him in The Party.

Shallow Grave
Wicked good movie.

Slim Susie
Might have to netflix this one to find it.

The Station Agent
Touching life drama.

The United States of Leland




Those are a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. Some of them maybe too well known for this list.

Last edited by Darko; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
enzofilo (09-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #53
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
Murder Party
If you like off beat comedy,low budget do it yourself cinema. Has horror elements as well as great commentary on egotistical artistic types.

If you like Murder Party or another low budget indie The Puffy Chair you may like ...

Baghead
It's another slight wink and laugh at artistic types. The kind that talk a great game about making art but never create it. Plus toss in some slight horror elements. You might see the ending from a mile away but I love little movies like this.


Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
If you like movies that poke fun of genera movies without actually having "Blank" MOVIE as the title. Another low budget indie flick that deconstructs the way we look at famous movie killers. A How to Guide to being Jason, Freddy, or Michael.

The Visitor
While it is know now due to its lead actor getting a well deserved acting nod, I still find people have not seen this movie. It's been out now on blu and dvd for awhile. It's a great movie with a knockout performance.


Martin
A very different and stylish vampire or maybe not vampire movie. Directed by George A. Romero and starring in a small part Tom Savini.


American Movie
Really funny but heart felt doc about a guy who wants to make a movie.


The Chumscrubber
Interesting look in a humorous/sad way of prescription drugs and its effects.Kind of reminds me of Donnie Darko but not really.

A Face in the Crowd
Way ahead of it's time. If you watch it now you can see much of what happens in that movie is the way the world now works today.

Happy Accidents
Interesting love story which I find is hard to really pull off.

Johnny Got His Gun
A real mind trip if you can find this one.


Life as a House and Shattered Glass Good drama's and Hayden shows he's not so wooden.Shocker I know!

Dogville and Manderlay These are not for everyone but if you like them you will find them brilliant.

Being There While this one may or not be known to people I found this to be a masterpiece. Peter Sellers blows me away. Also see him in The Party.

Shallow Grave
Wicked good movie.

Slim Susie
Might have to netflix this one to find it.

The Station Agent
Touching life drama.

The United States of Leland




Those are a few of the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. So of them maybe too well known for this list.

Thank you so much! This list is very helpful
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #54
DAROCKNESSMONSTER DAROCKNESSMONSTER is offline
Senior Member
 
DAROCKNESSMONSTER's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Ohio.
291
1
Send a message via AIM to DAROCKNESSMONSTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
Those are a few of the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. So of them maybe too well known for this list.
Great List.
Didn't care for Murder Party myself, but other than that, solid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #55
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAROCKNESSMONSTER View Post
Great List.
Didn't care for Murder Party myself, but other than that, solid.
In case anyone is wondering what "Murder Party" is about here you go

In this Slamdance Film Festival Audience Award winner, things go downhill fast when a mild-mannered office drone (Chris Sharp) plucks a Halloween party invitation off the street and suddenly finds himself the main event at an art student-hosted "murder party." But the students turn out to be more of a danger to themselves than to their intended victims in this horror comedy that explodes in riotous violence set to a fierce punk-metal soundtrack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #56
Diesel Diesel is offline
Entertainment Moderator
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
-
-
31
10
Default

Equilibrium would be mine

amazing movie
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #57
209Mason 209Mason is offline
Expert Member
 
209Mason's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
28
60
1
4
Default

Our German Foreign exchange student my senior year in highschool had us watch Two Hands staring the late Heath Ledger before his rise to stardom.

Australian made "gangster" movie... I was actually pretty impressed with it. I'd recommend renting it atleast to anyone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #58
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209Mason View Post
Our German Foreign exchange student my senior year in highschool had us watch Two Hands staring the late Heath Ledger before his rise to stardom.

Australian made "gangster" movie... I was actually pretty impressed with it. I'd recommend renting it atleast to anyone.
Thanks for the input, adding it to my Netflix Queue........now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #59
209Mason 209Mason is offline
Expert Member
 
209Mason's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
28
60
1
4
Default

Also:

Top Secret! (1984) - 80's comedy with Val Kilmer from the folks who brought you Airplaine.... somehow, none of my friends had ever even heard of this movie.

Downfall (2004)

Salton Sea (2002)

Cinema Paradiso (1988) - not a hidden gem as it's on IMDB's top 250 list... but maybe more of a lesser watched one.

True Romance (1993) - Any Tarantino fan knows this one, but a lot of people (myself included unfortunately) probably skipped out on it based on the title alone... great movie though

Last edited by 209Mason; 02-05-2009 at 04:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #60
carpaltonnel carpaltonnel is offline
Power Member
 
carpaltonnel's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
New York, Long Island
118
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209Mason View Post
Also:

Top Secret! (1984) - 80's comedy with Val Kilmer from the folks who brought you Airplaine.... somehow, none of my friends had ever even heard of this movie.

Downfall (2004)

Salton Sea (2002)

Cinema Paradiso (1988) - not a hidden gem as it's on IMDB's top 250 list... but maybe more of a lesser watched one.
+1 Cinema Paradiso, you forget it even has subtitles it's that good.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Snell and other lesser known brands Speakers prerich 72 10-18-2018 05:23 PM
Great lesser known horror movies... Movies Nielsb90 232 09-18-2018 06:44 PM
Lesser Known Blu Recommendations Blu-ray Movies - North America Jeremy1983 80 07-30-2012 02:57 AM
Q of S $5.00 coupon. Which old Bond film would you recommend? Blu-ray Movies - North America johnnyblackout22 31 07-26-2012 09:44 AM
Could we ever expect to see lesser known films on Blu? Wish Lists Idioteque... 11 11-19-2009 05:27 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 AM.