Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
20 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.90
10 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Justice Society: World War II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
13 hrs ago
Castle of the Creeping Flesh (Blu-ray)
$15.98
1 day ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$17.72
1 hr ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Justice Society: World War II (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
1 day ago
Crossed Swords (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Dam Busters (Blu-ray)
$17.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #1321
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

*** The list of 3D displays that support 1080P/24 signals at multiplies of the original frame rate is no longer being updated and has been discontinued. ***

The following is the data that was on the old list

The following are all true 3-D displays with Cinema quality frame rates

Discontinued 4K 3-D Front Projectors (4096 x 2160)

SIM2 CINEMAQUATTRO 4K 3-Chip DLP(144Hz for 3-D 48Hz sources, 48Hz for 2-D 24Hz sources)

Discontinued 1080P 3-D Front Projectors (1920 x 1080)

SIM2 LUMIS HC 3D-DUO 1080p (144Hz for 3-D 48Hz sources, 48Hz for 2-D 24Hz sources)

SIM2 LUMIS 3D-SOLO HC 1080p (144Hz for 3-D 48Hz sources, 48Hz for 2-D 24Hz sources)

SIM2 LUMIS 3D-SOLO 1080p (144Hz for 3-D 48Hz sources, 48Hz for 2-D 24Hz sources)

SIM2 LUMIS 3D PF 1080p (144Hz for 3-D 48Hz sources, 48Hz for 2-D 24Hz sources)

Old 12-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #1322
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

This list of 3D displays that offers multiplies of the original frame rate is no longer being updated.

As we approach the end of the year 2020, because of the lack of demand for consumer 3D displays, I have decided to discontinue my in-depth research on 3D technology. Between the years 2007 to 2010 I use to spend many hours doing research on 2D displays that displayed movies at multiplies of the original frame rate. Then between the years 2010 to 2014 I use to spend several hundreds of hours doing research on 3D displays that bypass the 3:2 pulldown process and display 3D videos at multiplies of the original frame rate. With the birth of Blu-ray 3D in 2010, for a 4 year period this list had a lot of research. However, when the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format launched in 2016, as a cost saving measure all consumer flat panel display manufactories and most consumer projector companies stopped offering the legacy 1080P frame packed Blu-ray 3D feature. To make things more complicated only 3D DLP projectors were on the list since they were the only consumer display to offer reference quality flicker free 3D with the multiplies of the original frame rate feature like triple flash 144fps technology and dual DLP projector IMAX 48fps 3D (24fps left eye and 24fps right eye). No other consumer display was able to offer cinema quality flicker free 3D frame rates for the consumer market. DLP is King when it comes to both commercial movie cinema 3D and home 3D.

I might never reopen this list, or if I do it might not be until the year 2026 when native 8K projectors become mainstream (that is if projectors are still being made for the consumer market). It all depends on what the industry decides to do with 3D and if I have the time to research the different technologies when I have spare time. At the end of the year 2020 Sony and JVC are the only projector companies that are offering native 4K imaging chips for the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format. In addition, as of 2020 Sony and JVC LCOS projectors still offer the legacy 1080P Blu-ray 3D feature (but the 3D frame rate used needs to be verified). As of 2020 all under $85,000 DLP projectors and LCD projectors as far as I aware are using 2K 1080P imaging chips and they use some type of pixel shifting technology to simulate a 4K image. Plus consumer projectors as of 2020 do not offer any Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ feature. Hopefully projector technology will improve in 2021+. Projectors are the only way to watch Blu-ray 3D since the last flat panel that offered Blu-ray 3D was in 2016. There is no perfect display. There are pluses and minuses to every type of display that is on the market. Some consumers look for the cheapest display they can get, while other consumers look for the best quality display they can find which many times means the most expensive display. However even in high-end displays one cannot find everything and they have to choose which features are the most important to them.

So officially this list of 3D displays is no longer being updated. I might however from time to time decide to post information on the latest breakthrough in consumer display technology and other important topics.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-21-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #1323
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Sound and Vision magazine has published a interesting article about some of the benefits of TV’s over projectors when it comes to the consumer market. The super high-end $85,000-$250,000+ 4K projectors that are used by some consumers, Dolby Cinema theaters, and IMAX theaters are of course the exception to this article. With a dual DLP IMAX style projector setup for $250,000+ one can have Dolby Vision HDR with very nice peak brightness levels. However good luck finding those features on a consumer projector under $85,000. In fact many consumer projectors have poor brightness levels when compared to a OLED and LCD flat panel screen with HDR. Another major issue with projectors is that absolutely none of them under $85,000 offers the Dolby Vision HDR feature, and no projector in 2020 regardless of price offers HDR10+. The latest consumer projectors that are 4K do offer standard HDR10 but lack the peak brightness levels to offer anything more. Also only the LCOS models from Sony and JVC starting at $5,000+ offer true 4K Ultra HD imaging chips. Good luck finding a DLP or LCD projector under $85,000 that offers native 4K imaging chips (they use 1080P imaging chips with pixel shifting technology).

The main thing going for projectors is that they are the only modern display that offers the legacy 3D feature. But as flat panels increase in size and decrease in price the demand for projectors will decrease. To make projectors more popular there needs to be more short throw table top models that are as easy to install as a flat panel screen. In the ideal world ones main home theater room should have a nice ceiling mounted front projector, but in a bedroom and other rooms where one does not want to remodel the room for a projector, the tabletop short throw projectors that sit a few inches from the wall are ideal displays for consumers to replace their flat panel screens with a projector. If the industry starts seeing under $35,000, and under $15,000 projectors with Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ and some short throw models, then that will help the consumer projector market. I am worried that in the near future that some projector companies might be going out of business or the selection of new models to choose from might be reduced.

Here is the link to Thomas J Norton’s Sound and Vision magazine article on The Benefits of Bigscreen TV’s Over Projectors

"A good 65-inch OLED can produce 600-700 nits of peak brightness, and an LCD even more. A projector is lucky to hit 150 nits (44 foot-Lamberts) and probably a lot less, depending on the projector itself, the screen size and gain, and where in its zoom range the projector’s lens is set (we're talking here of conventional projectors, not the short-throw type)."

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/big-picture-1

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-29-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
JMDiaz718 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #1324
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

In this thread there was a total of two fairly long posts that were deleted without any notification on why they were deleted. When a moderator or another person at Blu-ray.com deletes a post I wish they would notify the poster in a private message on why the post was deleted. I got no such notification and just today saw two posts disappear completely. Which is a disappointment since I do not keep copies of my posts and some long posts take a long time to write and end up being lost forever. If this keeps up I will just stop posting online completely or find another website to post information.
Thanks given by:
JMDiaz718 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #1325
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

I do not subscribe to any threads at Blu-ray.com, but some forum members do subscribe to some threads and they receive an email transcript of all posts that are made in the threads that they subscribe too. It sounds like there was a total of 4 posts that were deleted in this thread (2 posts by me and a total of 2 posts by a couple of people that were replying to my posts). I did not get a chance to see or respond to those posts before they were deleted, but I did hear about the replies from a forum member in a private message.

I have been a Blu-ray.com forum member since January 2007. In one of my posts that was deleted I was nicely mentioning that the Blu-ray.com database use to have a policy of not carrying certain types of movies with a certain rating in their database, and not allowing professional reviews for those certain types of movies. But what I did not realize, is that starting around the year 2014 that policy changed and the Blu-ray.com website now allows all Blu-ray titles with any rating to be in the database. Along with Amazon offering those titles on their website for sell. I do not have the time to spend several hours a day searching the Blu-ray.com database with the several thousands of Blu-ray titles that are offered, and I was just acknowledging that at some point over the years that policy had changed to allow all Blu-ray titles with all ratings. I have always been for freedom of speech when it comes to people making movies, even if it is for movies that I do not agree with. I like all kinds of movies. I like comedies, horror movies, action movies, war movies, etc. But for some reason even when one mentions that several Blu-ray titles of a certain type of movie already appears in the Blu-ray.com database with professional reviews for those movies published on the Blu-ray.com website, just mentioning that fact can result in the post being deleted even if a person was positive or neutral in their comments to those types of movies. So that appears to be the reason why one of my posts was deleted.

The second post that was deleted was a very long post about misc optical disc information and various other comments. One of the comments I made is that when I am not working on projects I mainly try and watch Blu-ray discs which I have done between the years 2009-2019 in my free time. With 99% of my movie watching being Blu-ray discs and 1% DVD discs. However, in the year 2020 I borrowed some DVD discs and audio CD’s from a family member that had not been released on the Blu-ray format yet, and I ended up spending my free time watching 70-80% DVD discs in the year 2020. I have now watched and listened to every optical disc I own and my family members own at least once in my life except for the new ones that were received around Christmas, that I plan on watching this year in 2021. But now in 2021 when I have free time I plan on spending 99% of my free time watching Blu-ray discs once again like I did between the years 2009-2019. I also mentioned in my prior post that one can learn a lot of information from Blu-ray discs and other optical media. Many books have been made into movies. A typical paper book that one reads can take a week or more to read, where as a Blu-ray disc movie or documentary normally is around 2 hours long, and there is visual and audio information in a movie that one can never learn from a book. Therefore, one can greatly increase their intelligence level by watching documentaries and movies on Blu-ray disc (many Blu-ray discs have extra features and some movies are based on true stories).

However, it sounds like when I made a brief comment about religion and politics in a post in this thread, one of the forum members complained that it was off topic since I was not actually reviewing a Christian or faith based movie. I decided to place a link to the around 200 faith-based movies that I have reviewed over the years at Blu-ray.com in a post in this thread, in case someone was interested in reading the reviews. Also during my life over the many decades, I have met many different people in my career, and at various secular and Christian schools, colleges, and Universities that I have attended over the years. Since I have had many atheist friends during my life along with Christian friends, I made a brief comment that some atheists are morally good people who give to charity, care about the country, and share many of the same views that so called people of faith also share. Also, people sometimes over many decades make changes in their belief system. After 14 years of 100% of the time posting videophile information in this thread, one makes a few small comments about religion and politics in this thread and they end up seeing the entire post being deleted.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-03-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #1326
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default Panasonic Introduces Flagship JZ2000 OLED TV

This is good news about new and improved Panasonic OLED displays, however now there is Dolby Vision HDR with IQ and HDR10+ Adaptive that one needs to make sure they have to improve on the HDR experience on flat panel screens. Since sometimes people watch TV with different lighting conditions and do not watch in a complexly dark room that projector owners normally do.

"The JZ2000 features Filmmaker Mode and its HDR support extends to Dolby Vision, Dolby Vision IQ, and HDR10+ Adaptive. It also supports HLG Photo, a “still image format which brings still photography into the HDR world,” according to company."

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...jz2000-oled-tv

"Dolby Vision IQ effectively updates the standard Dolby Vision signal on supported TVs. It uses the metadata within the signal alongside a TV’s light sensor to detect how bright or how dark a room is, and optimises the picture quality to suit the amount of ambient light in a room."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ion-iq-4097155

"New HDR10+ Adaptive Feature for Better At-Home Viewing Experience"

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ing-experience
Thanks given by:
RageATL (01-27-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #1327
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
This is good news about new and improved Panasonic OLED displays, however now there is Dolby Vision HDR with IQ and HDR10+ Adaptive that one needs to make sure they have to improve on the HDR experience on flat panel screens. Since sometimes people watch TV with different lighting conditions and do not watch in a complexly dark room that projector owners normally do.

"The JZ2000 features Filmmaker Mode and its HDR support extends to Dolby Vision, Dolby Vision IQ, and HDR10+ Adaptive. It also supports HLG Photo, a “still image format which brings still photography into the HDR world,” according to company."

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...jz2000-oled-tv

"Dolby Vision IQ effectively updates the standard Dolby Vision signal on supported TVs. It uses the metadata within the signal alongside a TV’s light sensor to detect how bright or how dark a room is, and optimises the picture quality to suit the amount of ambient light in a room."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ion-iq-4097155

"New HDR10+ Adaptive Feature for Better At-Home Viewing Experience"

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ing-experience
Yeah but no 3D.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #1328
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
Yeah but no 3D.
Yes it is very sad for 3D fans and Blu-ray 3D fans that the last flat panel to offer the 3D feature is a discontinued 2016 model. The consumer electronics industry instead of making 3D mandatory in all flat panels for an additional estimated $30 cost in manufacturing, decided to instead to have a policy of offering no 3D feature on all future flat panel screens. Its all about how cheap one can make the displays, and adding $30 to the cost to the display is not what the average consumer wants when shopping for a under $500 flat panel at Walmart and other stores. However OLED 4K displays are considered high end displays, and its too bad the OLED display industry did not make the legacy Blu-ray 3D mandatory with passive 1080P 3D support on 4K Ultra HD models.

Those that want 3D are required to purchase a projector. DLP projectors have always been reference quality when it comes to 3D, but finding 3D on projectors is getting to be harder. The 4K Sony and 4K JVC LCOS projectors offer the legacy 3D feature. However, some consumers live in an apartment or condo and they are not able to install a ceiling mounted projector. Short throw table top projectors are ideal for apartments and condos since they sit on ones existing TV stand a few inches from the wall. The problem with short throw table top projectors that sit a few inches from the wall, is that they do not offer the legacy 3D feature (at least as far as I am aware). So one is currently limited to a ceiling mounted projector if they want Blu-ray 3D.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #1329

Nov 2013

I believe I read that the VAVA projector supports 3D although it isn't prominently referenced on their site.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:27 AM   #1330
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maax View Post
I believe I read that the VAVA projector supports 3D although it isn't prominently referenced on their site.
If it does offer 3D it is not mentioned in the specs. All consumer DLP 4K projectors under $85,000 still use 1080P light engines with pixel shifting technology. Hopefully the DLP industry will release a new native 4K imaging chip in future years. The cheapest native 4K projector light engine is still the Sony SXRD at around $5,000 and around $6,000 for the JVC LCOS (Sony and JVC offer the legacy Blu-ray 3D feature).
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #1331
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
If it does offer 3D it is not mentioned in the specs. All consumer DLP 4K projectors under $85,000 still use 1080P light engines with pixel shifting technology. Hopefully the DLP industry will release a new native 4K imaging chip in future years. The cheapest native 4K projector light engine is still the Sony SXRD at around $5,000 and around $6,000 for the JVC LCOS (Sony and JVC offer the legacy Blu-ray 3D feature).
3D is via VaVa firmware update. The Optoma P1 and P2 USTs also are 3D- capable.

Last edited by film11; 01-15-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion