Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
14 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
10 hrs ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rad (Blu-ray)
$19.99

NFL Super Bowl LV Champions: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #29541
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I know I am not typical and in that way I can end up with blinders on but
If we assume glasses play a much bigger role in the future

I see AR playing a role in phone/apps and vr in HT.

Imagine walking/driving down the street, instead of looking down at the screen the arrows are superimposed over the road you are traveling on, or you are single and ready to mingle and your dating app points out the other person/people looking for love/hookup.....

but this might not be AR glasses but it is the same concept

does anyone say " there are not enough curtains ghosting my film?” or what ever else is happening physically behind the display?

that is why I say VR could play that role but not AR, AR is image+real world, VR is image - real world and I think many are like me and watching TV shows/movies they are trying for the latter

that being said if you can have double coated glasses/window with user side AR world side PDLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOi...ature=youtu.be
so that they work as AR/VR as needed that is a different story

Personally I would rather have a big screen if possible there is a reason some people have issues seeing near and others far, maybe from a field of vision one can argue it is the same but to the eyes small and close is not the same as big and far.

On the other hand I can see glasses as a phone replacement the issue for TV is the same one 3D had. A bunch of people can sit down and watch the 1000$ Tv or projector, with this everyone would need their own set of glasses, as a phone replacement the difference is negligible (everyone has a phone) as a TV replacement it becomes a costly solution that is not needed.

why? don’t get me wrong, obviously you won’t be able to put the disk directly in the glasses for practically reasons and so it would need to get there wirelessly, but why can’t that be a wireless short range GB link directly from my player?
The thing about multiple glasses users is that if we assume they take over from the smartphone, most of the population will have them anyway.

As for the communal film experience, the glasses will be able to dim the real world so that the AR projection would stand out.
It can be locked to a wall for everyone or floated in. One’s line of sight. All you would need to do is dim your surroundings.
There is already talk of prescription glasses or tech where Apple’s glasses could adapt to your eyesight. That obviously wouldn’t be version 1 though.
Basically, one person could lock the screen to a wall (and go huge) and everyone who walks in the room would have that view if they wished.

VR is a very solitary movie experience, and would be much harder to implement.

However, I believe 360% VR films would be incredible immersive entertainment.

Thanks for that Anthony, enjoyed your views.

Last edited by Steedeel; 01-16-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #29542
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
but is that relevant? If we are talking TV or even Projector streaming games can play a role, but glasses need to be as light and comfortable as possible. Even streaming games would require more processing power at the glasses level.
The power will come over time I believe.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #29543
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

As much as I misplace my reading glasses, I can foresee misplacing my AR glasses and being left with nothing to watch until they were found. I sure can't forget where I left my 85" TV.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:44 AM   #29544
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
As much as I misplace my reading glasses, I can foresee misplacing my AR glasses and being left with nothing to watch until they were found. I sure can't forget where I left my 85" TV.
What about me. I get reflections galore now. A film evening might involve me fidgeting for 30 minutes to get a sweet spot first!
Old 01-17-2021, 03:14 AM   #29545
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Just placed an order for some adult BD's from Vinegar Syndrome:

I Like to Watch/Sorority Sweethearts
Taxi Girls/Heavenly Desire
Planet La Femme-objet

At least with the first two, it's two films for the price of one. And the third film, I've seen bits of the restoration and it looks amazing.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #29546
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Hey,

I have the entire series of Game of Thrones on UHD BD, Blu Ray, iTunes and Vudu. There is only one way that I want to experience it which is UHD BD. Every other option is compromised and inferior.

If streaming is the future, so be it. I hope it catches up in quality to what is available now. Fast food is popular but perhaps inferior to a home cooked meal in some ways.

Any proponents of streaming should at least be aware of the quality they are forsaking for the convenience.

-Brian
Old 01-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #29547
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Just placed an order for some adult BD's from Vinegar Syndrome:

I Like to Watch/Sorority Sweethearts
Taxi Girls/Heavenly Desire
Planet La Femme-objet

At least with the first two, it's two films for the price of one. And the third film, I've seen bits of the restoration and it looks amazing.
La-Femme looks great. You can’t go wrong with VS, great company. If you enjoy them, Public Affairs and The Naughty Victorians are two very good additions also.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #29548
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Hey,

I have the entire series of Game of Thrones on UHD BD, Blu Ray, iTunes and Vudu. There is only one way that I want to experience it which is UHD BD. Every other option is compromised and inferior.

If streaming is the future, so be it. I hope it catches up in quality to what is available now. Fast food is popular but perhaps inferior to a home cooked meal in some ways.

Any proponents of streaming should at least be aware of the quality they are forsaking for the convenience.

-Brian
There is no way the quality will increase. These companies are under pressure with costs and the climate. Bit rates will only shrink in the future. Don’t be surprised if you have to pay a hefty premium for anywhere decent quality. The guilt card will be used as a weapon for many companies for those daft enough to fall for it.
We give you e you less but you pay the same. In my opinion, Apple and Samsung are already starting with removal of charging cables from new phones.

Last edited by Steedeel; 01-17-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #29549
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I'm glad I can have the best available quality.

And, I'm glad I can tell the difference.

Simple is endearing... but the best and the easiest are rarely the same thing.

-Brian
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #29550
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The thing about multiple glasses users is that if we assume they take over from the smartphone, most of the population will have them anyway.
agree, but

1) it will never really replace the smart phone in entreaty
-- a) it will most likely be a two part module that will be a lot more expensive. (i.e. the way a Bluetooth headset or a smart watch talks to the main smart phone, the only difference is that the smart phone part would no longer need to be that shape since it won't need the screen)
-- b) it will be a lot more expensive then a traditional smart phone, you can always have a market for this, but there will most likely (the same way you can still buy a flip phone) be both with more wealthy people buying the fancy AR glasses version.

2) most is not good enough ("jack you stare at the blank wall while we watch a film on our AR glasses")

Quote:
As for the communal film experience, the glasses will be able to dim the real world so that the AR projection would stand out.
obviously they need to do that in part (or else it is just reality), but that is the issue with AR if you dim out the real world you are no longer augmenting (adding) to it you are replacing it with something virtual (VR).

Quote:
It can be locked to a wall for everyone or floated in.
I have no idea what that means.

Quote:
One’s line of sight. All you would need to do is dim your surroundings.
but that is the issue with AR your surroundings will always become part of the picture, the only way to make them irrelevant is if there are none, the other side of it is the image itself but there will be bright scenes and dim scenes and they will behave differently.
Quote:
VR is a very solitary movie experience, and would be much harder to implement.

However, I believe 360% VR films would be incredible immersive entertainment.
it depends what we are talking about. I build myself an HT so a bunch of us can sit together and watch a film, but when we do we don't spend our time looking at each other, we are all watching the screen. In this case I am not talking full VR (video, audio, surroundings, head movement, body movement....) just video. You can still hear the person beside you laughing, crying or scream in surprise...
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #29551
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
agree, but

1) it will never really replace the smart phone in entreaty
-- a) it will most likely be a two part module that will be a lot more expensive. (i.e. the way a Bluetooth headset or a smart watch talks to the main smart phone, the only difference is that the smart phone part would no longer need to be that shape since it won't need the screen)
-- b) it will be a lot more expensive then a traditional smart phone, you can always have a market for this, but there will most likely (the same way you can still buy a flip phone) be both with more wealthy people buying the fancy AR glasses version.

2) most is not good enough ("jack you stare at the blank wall while we watch a film on our AR glasses")

obviously they need to do that in part (or else it is just reality), but that is the issue with AR if you dim out the real world you are no longer augmenting (adding) to it you are replacing it with something virtual (VR).

I have no idea what that means.

but that is the issue with AR your surroundings will always become part of the picture, the only way to make them irrelevant is if there are none, the other side of it is the image itself but there will be bright scenes and dim scenes and they will behave differently.

it depends what we are talking about. I build myself an HT so a bunch of us can sit together and watch a film, but when we do we don't spend our time looking at each other, we are all watching the screen. In this case I am not talking full VR (video, audio, surroundings, head movement, body movement....) just video. You can still hear the person beside you laughing, crying or scream in surprise...
Apple’s ultimate aim is for the glasses tech to be miniaturised to enable a standalone product. Facebook’s Zuckerberg mentioned by 2030 we should have a complete unit capable of immersive experiences and personal computing. In other words, a real screen replacement for everything.

Sorry about the typo. I meant users could have a object (in this case a tv) stuck to the wall so that it is always in the same position. This tech is currently being perfected.
Another example is having a virtual pool table in your lounge or somewhere with plenty of space and having that remain in the same position. If you feel like a game of pool, just pop into the lounge and use your virtual cues.

It then should have said you can have the object (a tv) follow you around or float in your vision if you want to bring it closer than a wall.

As for most people having them, if they want to do PC work, watch Films or tv, visit social media or game, they will need the glasses. Not everyone has a smartphone now so it’s the same comparison. If you want that stuff, you will need to buy it.

The cost point you brought up? That’s early adoption, all tech comes down in price with mass adoption. AR glasses will be no different.

Finally, Apple are working on how your surroundings work with the projected images/objects.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #29552
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Apple Schmapple; wake me up when these are real, widely available, and someone has reviewed them personally. Until then let me

I finished watching The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on 4K disc last night after having watched The Hobbit trilogy on 4k disc and these two sets alone have more than justified my expenditures to date to finally have an Atmos arrangement. I was delighted hour after hour after hour with how these sound in Atmos. How they looked was somewhat of a mixed bag, but I am more pleased than not.

When I add that subwoofie, I will watch them again! Now I have to pick something else with Atmos to watch as I have left Middle Earth. What should I follow up these two trilogies with?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-17-2021), cheez avenger (01-17-2021), Ender14 (01-18-2021), Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #29553
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
I finished watching The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on 4K disc last night after having watched The Hobbit trilogy on 4k disc and these two sets alone have more than justified my expenditures to date to finally have an Atmos arrangement. I was delighted hour after hour after hour with how these sound in Atmos. How they looked was somewhat of a mixed bag, but I am more pleased than not]
Bah, too much gushing over your atmos setup. How they looked is a mix bag? Perhaps your display needs replacing.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #29554
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Now I have to pick something else with Atmos to watch as I have left Middle Earth. What should I follow up these two trilogies with?
Watch 4k Hacksaw Ridge when you can. No need to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Anyone wondering what all the fuss is about with regard to Dolby Atmos tracks might want to check out the audio on Hacksaw Ridge, for this Atmos track (with a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 core) is often viscerally amazing. Some of the most prominent Atmos effects come in the battle scenes, where the punch of bullets zinging toward the listener can almost be felt (I literally had a startle reaction, ducking a little, at one such effect). The pinpoint placement of effects is consistently astounding throughout this track and develops the intensity of the fight sequences extremely well. Rupert Gregson- Williams (brother of Harry) contributes a really beautiful and often very moving string drenched score that adds to the emotional ambience of the film and which spreads through the surround channels very effectively. Even in quieter moments, there is nice placement of ambient environmental effects, and dialogue is always rendered cleanly and clearly (with the possible exception of some of the understandably chaotic battle sequences, where "dialogue" takes a back seat to the carnage being depicted).
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #29555
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Bah, too much gushing over your atmos setup. How they looked is a mix bag? Perhaps your display needs replacing.
If my overly enthusiastic enjoyment of finally gaining Atmos capability has become tedious for you allow me to offer this in reply:

I posted my full opinion of how these looked in the LOTR 4K thread. They are somewhat of a mixed bag as they have many momentary flaws and if you can't see that then maybe your glasses, or do you wear a monocle, needs replacing?

Last edited by Vilya; 01-17-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #29556
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Not a bad recommendation; I like that movie a lot.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #29557
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Watched just last night with my whole family and that's maybe the first time that has happened since we watched Babe around Christmas time.

My recommendation after Hobbit and LotR is to watch Game of Thrones.

That's quite a lot of Dragons tho and that's fine with me.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #29558
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Watched just last night with my whole family and that's maybe the first time that has happened since we watched Babe around Christmas time.

My recommendation after Hobbit and LotR is to watch Game of Thrones.

That's quite a lot of Dragons tho and that's fine with me.
I need to hold off on that until I upgrade to the 4K set.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #29559
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Apple’s ultimate aim is for the glasses tech to be miniaturised to enable a standalone product. Facebook’s Zuckerberg mentioned by 2030 we should have a complete unit capable of immersive experiences and personal computing. In other words, a real screen replacement for everything.
the problem with that is two fold

1) if predictions=facts we would all be traveling to other planets for a weekend get away and riding our flying electric cars to the cinema while our robots would do all the chores

2) does tech get smaller and better? absolutely, the Atari VCS comes with 100+ games and it is puny compared to the original, but I bought a PS5 (even though it is bigger then any other console previously released) because it can do a lot more. my UHD BD can fit a lot more data then the first CD I bought. The problem is the other side of that coin, A step forward in the demand of the tech brings with it a step forward of what is expected from that tech.

Quote:
Sorry about the typo. I meant users could have a object (in this case a tv) stuck to the wall so that it is always in the same position. This tech is currently being perfected.
Another example is having a virtual pool table in your lounge or somewhere with plenty of space and having that remain in the same position. If you feel like a game of pool, just pop into the lounge and use your virtual cues.
That sounds terrible and useless. The nice thing about AR is that I would be able to sit anywhere and watch a film/ play a game of pool. If I need a game room for my pool table and I need to walk around that big empty space to play why wouldn't I just buy a real table? Right now people can choose to watch something on my 10' wide screen in the HT, on my8' wide screen in my BR, on my 75"TV in the family room..... but there are other people in the house and if we want to watch something different then not every option is available, with glasses the equivalent of that 10' screen can be in the HT, in the BR, in that FR.... with every seat being in the right position) that is the only advantage of glasses, now you want to get rid of it by forcing the perspective to be the same as if that physical object was there.

Quote:
The cost point you brought up? That’s early adoption, all tech comes down in price with mass adoption. AR glasses will be no different.
yes and no, New tech becomes cheaper but old tech becomes obsolete and gets replaced by new tech. what I mean, and since you keep on bringing up Apple, their first iPhone was 499 USD for the 4 GB version the cheapest iphone 12 has a lot more capabilities but it is also more expensive and if you wanted to get a cheap new iphone 1 it would be impossible.

It is not like a DVD player where the specs are written in stone and so you can get to antiquated commodity prices.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #29560
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
When I add that subwoofie, I will watch them again! Now I have to pick something else with Atmos to watch as I have left Middle Earth. What should I follow up these two trilogies with?
Jupiter Ascending has several uses of Atmos. You need subs with this one. See you have it in 3-D, so how is it in 3-D?

Posted earlier: Some titles that I like for Atmos: Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, The House With A Clock In Its Walls, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, The Great Wall, Independence Day: Resurgence, Mad Max: Fury Road and Unbroken (air battle scenes).

It appears you are pleased with the SVS Prime Elevation Speaker's. What finish did you get?
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-18-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology