Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
NBA 2K19 (PS4)
$39.88

Nioh (PS4)
$19.99

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2 (PS4)
$29.99

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
$69.99

Madden NFL 19 (PS4)
$39.99

Little Nightmares (PS4)
$18.93

Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
$39.97

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (PS4)
$19.93

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4)
$51.62

Shenmue I & II (PS4)
$23.22

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes Of An Elusive Age (PS4)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
Default Set your messages to private. Possibility of factory reset with nefarious messages.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ps4...k-consoles-bug

Quote:
PlayStation 4 users are reporting a messaging glitch that's causing some consoles to brick forcing owners to factory reset their PS4 systems. The exploit is used via the PS4's in-console messaging system and can be prevented by setting messages to private.

On the PS4 subreddit there are reports from players who received strange messages that once opened caused their consoles to lock up. Apparently even receiving the notification of the message can cause a forced reset.

A top post on the subreddit is warning other users to set their messages to private lest they fall victim to the bug. They explain that it happened to them and their party members during a game of Rainbow Six: Siege, and that the only party member not affected was the one who had their messages set to private.

While there's no official explanation for the bug, many in the thread are speculating that the attacks are like a text-exploit used to crash iPhones a couple years back. Those attacks took advantage of exploits in the code that processed texts.

There's no official word from Sony regarding this exploit but in the meantime you can set your messages to private by logging into your PS4, going into Account Management, then Privacy Settings, to Personal Info where you can set messages to either Friends Only or No One.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

To change settings go to your messages and press options. Change it from there until SONY gets a fix out.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Why would anybody not have messages set to friends only anyway? The people you want to chat with should be on your friends list. 12 year olds and their "insults" when they can't handle losing make up 90% of the non-friends list messages you will get without it being friends only.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

I agree it should default to friends only and you opt into the “all” but that’s not the stance software developers usually take. Bad that you don’t even have to open it for it to cause issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

I was pretty sure I turned all that stuff off when I first set up my PS4, but I didn’t remember. So I downloaded the PS Messages app. This is what everything was set to, so I’m good right?

Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I actually don't mind getting messages from crap talking randoms i beat but this made me set it to private. Don't need a 12 year old salty from losing crashing my PS4 and all my video content i use for YouTube.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Deleting the message via the mobile app seems to be all that's needed to fix it if it happens. You don't lose any data.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...es_to_private/
Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Winnipeg, Canada

I don't have the mobile app, but if people flock to their PS4s and turn them on just to set messages to private and prevent this from happening, won't it happen anyways just by going into your profile (assuming you were sent the message)?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Why would anybody not have messages set to friends only anyway? The people you want to chat with should be on your friends list. 12 year olds and their "insults" when they can't handle losing make up 90% of the non-friends list messages you will get without it being friends only.
Games that offer a trading system. Trading is most efficiently handled via PSN Messages first. Just accepting game invites results in idiots wasting more time with offering items not being sought after than being able to ask them specifically which trade they want. Also, setting up trades while not at the PS4 for later requires messaging with people who aren’t on your friends list. Trophy hunting often requires messaging non-friends as well. Lastly, how else are we suppose to report inappropriate man-children to Sony for their behaviour so that they can be kept in check? Gotta do our part to improve the community.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Winnipeg, Canada

Got the mobile app, but the "I'm not a robot" feature doesn't work. Thanks Sony.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4