Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
12 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.96
14 hrs ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Gladiator/Braveheart 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.93
1 day ago
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Blu-ray)
$4.00
2 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$4.00
2 hrs ago
Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.27
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 384 55.98%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 302 44.02%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #4321
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister VistaVision View Post
Does anyone here (or knows someone) have access to back issues of The LaserDisc Newsletter? I'm looking for info in one of the 1991 issues.
I have a whole bunch of them. If you know what specific issue you're interested in, I could see if I can find it. Or are you looking for info that it's in some 1991 issue without knowing which one?
Old 11-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #4322
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
I have a whole bunch of them. If you know what specific issue you're interested in, I could see if I can find it. Or are you looking for info that it's in some 1991 issue without knowing which one?
That's awesome! Would love to see a .pdf database with them on there.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #4323
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Do you have one where they 'unveil' the X9??
Old 11-21-2020, 12:46 AM   #4324

Jul 2017
central New Jersey

Quote:
Thank you, I'm looking for the review of THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL. It was released in July of 1991 so the review should be in the July, August or September issue.

It's mentioned that MGM/UA made a mistake by pressing copies that had the shorter version of the film and then made new copies that had the full Roadshow presentation. He says how you can tell the difference (maybe different barcodes) and that's what I can't remember after all these years. The copy I had back then was the shorter version and a member on the LDDB from Germany says his copy has the restored sequences unseen in 25 years.

You can't go by what's printed on the back of the gatefold cover because even the shorter copies have the Roadshow running time listed. It's as though they made up the albums thinking they would release the Roadshow version and then found out they transfered the shorter version by mistake.

I was hoping that MGM/UA would put the Roadshow version on their first DVD, but they didn't. I really think they don't even know they have a Roadshow transfer available. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #4325
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Previous two posts:

OK. I will look for the relevant issues tomorrow. They're in a box (or spread across more than one), but I know where the box(es) is/are.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #4326
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouMan View Post
I wrote to Kurtis Bahr about this back in July and he said it's a common issue but he hasn't had time to figure out exactly what's wrong because he was in the process of getting his house sold.
Oh, shit. He's one of the last remaining people whom I trust with my players.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #4327

Feb 2020
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Sarcasm doesn’t fly when your pride and joy is acting up...

I hold my breath every time my X9 flips sides.
From what I can tell, a lot of HLD-X9s have an issue where the spindle rubber rubs against the disc label when starting or stopping discs and when changing sides. If you hear a hissing sound when performing any of these actions, you should resurface it, and if you can't do that, there is a seller on eBay who makes replacements for this part. Otherwise, it may damage the labels on your discs, especially CLV Hi-Vision LDs.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #4328
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister VistaVision View Post
Thank you, I'm looking for the review of THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL. It was released in July of 1991 so the review should be in the July, August or September issue.

It's mentioned that MGM/UA made a mistake by pressing copies that had the shorter version of the film and then made new copies that had the full Roadshow presentation. He says how you can tell the difference (maybe different barcodes) and that's what I can't remember after all these years. The copy I had back then was the shorter version and a member on the LDDB from Germany says his copy has the restored sequences unseen in 25 years.

You can't go by what's printed on the back of the gatefold cover because even the shorter copies have the Roadshow running time listed. It's as though they made up the albums thinking they would release the Roadshow version and then found out they transfered the shorter version by mistake.

I was hoping that MGM/UA would put the Roadshow version on their first DVD, but they didn't. I really think they don't even know they have a Roadshow transfer available. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Found my batch of LDNs. Unless there's another batch of them in another box somewhere, I have most of the issues from January 1990 (#65) to September 2001 (#205). Anyway, regarding Doug Pratt's review of The Hallelujah Trail -- in the August 1991 issue -- there's no mention of the mistake/correction in versions of the film in the review. I checked over the next six issues to see if he mentioned it after the fact, but couldn't find it. Sorry. Here's a JPG of the review...

1123200829.jpg
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #4329

Jul 2017
central New Jersey

Many thanks for doing this for me and I guess I'll have to ask for one more favor. Even though you couldn't find any mention of the re-pressed discs in the next few issues, could you please look through another 6 or 7 later issues. I really thought he would have mentioned it somewhere in the next few issues, but maybe it was actually 8 or 10 months later. It's the only publication I subscribed to so there's no place else I could have read about it. He even reviewed the laserdisc I put out in 1991 called The Archival Film Disc. If I lived closer to you I'd go through your issues myself so you wouldn't have to spend the time doing it.
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #4330
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

OK, I'll take a look.
Old Today, 06:44 PM   #4331
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

I went through the issues I did before a second time, and continued up to the December 1992. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything regarding a correction to the LD of The Hallelujah Trail.

It wasn't a complete waste of time, as in the May 1992 issue, I came across a letter I'd written. I have no memory of having written one.

I went to Doug Pratt's current website and looked at the index of his LD reviews, but the only one listed for The Hallelujah Trail is the original August 1991 one. There's an email link for Doug on the "About Doug" page there. Maybe you can write to him and see if he can remember what he'd said, or indicate where he said it, about the corrected version of the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion