Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
10 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42
31 min ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #21

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Blasphemy is calling "White Material" 'Meh'

I watched it last night and it is magnificent!
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #22

Mar 2011
Ontario, Canada

Thanks given by:
rognvaldr (08-24-2018)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Twin Cities, MN, USA

I picked up White Material during the recent B&N sale. Looking forward to seeing it for the first time, especially after a recent trip to Africa.

Hope to join you guys for some Criterion discussions. Cut the newbie some slack heh?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalZee View Post
According to this old Criterion catalog that I have from the mid 90's, listing all the Laserdisc editons that they had available at the time, a lot of which I currently own.
What titles do you own exactly?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor Lugosi View Post
Ha! That'll never happen!

On the other hand, the last few Criterion movies I've watched (Au revoir les enfants, Gomorrah, White Material and Amarcord) left me kinda... meh! Don't know what all the fuss is about. It seems most movies in the Criterion collection definitely aren't mainstream. Mostly artsy-fartsy types (I know, blasphemy! ) with something more mainstream popping up once in a great while... just my 2c..

I often find many of the more modern independent films to be a bit boring and pretentious. For that reason I'm hesitant to pick up any titles that includes the words "the filmmakers most personal", "an autobiographical reflection", and my personal favorite "existential nightmare".

In the world of film, it seems many of these end up being code-words for overly pretentious film school/artsy fodder.

I haven't seen those four particular films, but Gommorah and White Material have been on my list for awhile. I'm usually very cautious about what Criterion I pick with the limited time/budget I have. I've just had too many bad experiences with certain "hyped" independent films from the 90's and 00's that I've just about given up (not talking Criterion, just films in general). Some of them I found middling or pointless. A few just try to "shock" you with a few repulsive scenes that would have been rated M or banned years ago. Usually the emotional response i get is not at all what the director intended, i.e. more just anger at why the scene is even there or "what is the point of this"?

Yet I have had so much success with just about EVERYTHING Criterion, that I feel pretty good about most of them. Still I tend to pick the older titles that Criterion adds to their catalogue - I've even grabbed a bunch I'd really never heard of or seen before browsing Criterion's catalogue. I prefer most pre-1970, but I'll even go back as far as to silent film era on occasion. I just find them far more interesting.

Last edited by AgentOrange; 08-15-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #26

Oct 2011
Hogwarts
Default Criterions

Criterions are the best! They look perfect, sound amazing, and have a lot of features you wouldnt find on the dvd or blu-ray! I own some myself, and i love them!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #27

Nov 2011
Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
Criterion is like the Cadillac of home-video. If you're interested in foreign and/or artistic films/dramas, then you should poke around within the catalogue. Many collectors are head-over-heels for Criterion's releases (you've probably noticed).

To anyone who's curious, here are 10 of my personal favorites:
Ace in the Hole (1951, american)
Jules et Jim (1962, french)
Rushmore (1998, american)
Sullivan's Travels (1941, american)
Do the Right Thing (1989, american)
La Haine (1995, french)
Le Samourai (1967, french)
Umberto D (1952, italian)
Drunken Angel (1948, japanese)
Band of Outsiders (1964, french) [trivia: Tarantino got his production company's name from this film's French title]

And here are 10 of what I perceive to be the "most important" in their collection (expect artistry):
Seven Samurai (1954, japanese)
Bicycle Thieves (1948, italian)
Rashomon (1950, japanese)
The Third Man (1949, it's complicated but let's just call it "british")
Breathless (1960, french)
8-1/2 (1963, italian, also imo this is a difficult/complex film but i don't want to dissuade you)
La Grande Illusion (1937, french)
The 400 Blows (1959, french)
M (1931, german)
Tokyo Story (1953, japanese)
Thank you for mentioning this. I am just about to start my own Criterion Collection and have been reading a lot of reviews and browsing through the site. Haven't seen a lot of these films except probable for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Last Emperor in a cinema.

You've mentioned that some are Japanese, French, Italian, etc. Do they have english translations or subtitles?

I am currently eyeing the following:
Chungking Express
Carlos
Che
12 Angry Men
Fish Tank
For All Mankind
The Thin Red Line
Salo
M
Sweet Smell of Success

Your comments and other suggestions will be most welcomed.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
You've mentioned that some are Japanese, French, Italian, etc. Do they have english translations or subtitles?
All Criterions are region coded for the US, so if the language spoken in the movie isn't English there will be English--and as I recall ONLY English--subtitles.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #29

Jul 2012
Philippines

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning this. I am just about to start my own Criterion Collection and have been reading a lot of reviews and browsing through the site. Haven't seen a lot of these films except probable for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Last Emperor in a cinema.

Chungking Express
Carlos
Che
12 Angry Men
Fish Tank
For All Mankind
The Thin Red Line
Salo
M
Sweet Smell of Success

In your most important Criterion films, the only ones that I haven't watched are 8 1/2 and 400 Blows by Truffaut...nice explanation
Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #30

Jul 2012

Quote:

Chungking Express
Carlos
Che
12 Angry Men
Fish Tank
For All Mankind
The Thin Red Line
Salo
M
Sweet Smell of Success

I used to have over 140 CC DVDs now I only have around 40 . Before Blu-Ray came to seen Criterion DVDs were the best or better quality transfers out there but now We have Blu-Ray and HD TVs so for me it does not matter anymore if it is a CC or some other release as long as it is a BR and a good quality transfer with quality audio.

My suggestion is ; If you are going to collect CC be sure to keep up with current B&N %50 off criterion sale. and also use their coupons to get further discount.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #31

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel* View Post
I used to have over 140 CC DVDs now I only have around 40 . Before Blu-Ray came to seen Criterion DVDs were the best or better quality transfers out there but now We have Blu-Ray and HD TVs so for me it does not matter anymore if it is a CC or some other release as long as it is a BR and a good quality transfer with quality audio.

My suggestion is ; If you are going to collect CC be sure to keep up with current B&N %50 off criterion sale. and also use their coupons to get further discount.
Not sure why you dug up this old thread, but Blu-ray is the way to go

Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Glendale, CA

Click the link in my sig to see if I like Criterion.

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in OCD Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness, The Sopranos Complete Collection
Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #33

Jul 2012
Default It definitely has a purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoAD View Post
I don't understand the Criterion Collection. What is its purpose? Does the movie look better? Does it have more special features?
seriously i have no clue, anyone care to enlighten me?
Okay...I know you didn't say this, but I'm just telling you: one thing they're not is overrated. They have a solid reputation, and for multiple reasons.

1. Their transfers
Criterion does a lot to restore old movies. Basically, they use complex software to remove instances of dirt and scratches so that the frames of the film look nice and cleaner.

2. Their booklets
This is one of the most desirable parts of a Criterion DVD. Every one you purchase comes with a booklet/fold-out in the case that will include essays or other stuff about the film.

3. Their special features
Most Criterion Collection DVDs have a substantial amount of special features. Quite frequently, more than other standard DVD releases. Even when there are little to no special features, the film still looks good and will have a booklet/fold-out.

4. Their packaging
The white, transparent cases that modern Criterion editions are in (contrasting with the black DVD cases and blue Blu-ray cases) is quite notable and recognizable. Sometimes, Criterion will have a paper packaging, like the ones for Seven Samurai and Playtime.

5. Their selections
There are many films that would likely be forgotten and wouldn't even have a proper home media release in the US if it wasn't for the Criterion Collection. Lots of their films are either obscure, unique, or foreign.

6. Their cover art
Sometimes, cover art can be a neat illustration, or it can be a frame from the film, or even a painting inspired by it. Their cover art is usually better than the standard release cover art.

7. Their efforts in preserving the original aspect ratio
Sometimes, standard DVD versions are non-anamorphic, which means that the frame does not horizontally compress to fit the screen. But Criterion's version of Rushmore kept the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, meaning that you do not have to degrade the image quality by having the picture zoom so it fills up the screen.

8. Their influence
There were so little special features and extra things besides the film on other home media releases that when Criterion became popular and well-known, people started calling it a "film school in a box" since it had so much more than just the movie. If it wasn't for Criterion, DVDs would probably still be more towards the bare-bones side with little-to-no special features and not enough of a frame clean-up and restoration.

I hope you enjoyed my really long post...wow. I just wanted to tell you the things that make Criterion so awesome, and it almost ended up sounding like a three-minute commercial.

Oh, well. La-di-da, la-di-da, la-la, yeah...Annie Hall ftw

Last edited by CriterionCollector; 08-06-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
jmclick (02-02-2015), pedromvu (03-12-2015)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriterionCollector View Post
5. Their selections
There are many films that would likely be forgotten and wouldn't even have a proper home media release in the US if it wasn't for the Criterion Collection. Lots of their films are either obscure, unique, or foreign.
You make some excellent points. My only criticism of Criterion is reserved for their movie selection process. For every Great Movie there's at least one that's mediocre or just plain bad. Granted, what makes a movie "good" is subjective and very few movies will appeal to absolutely everyone, but when I see someone expound upon the merits of movies like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Jubilee, Robinson Crusoe, Smith, Baumbach, Whitman I can't help but think there just might be just a little bit of bias when it comes to evaluating Criterion releases.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #35

Jul 2012
Philippines

I really love Criterion Collection films but some of their releases were also bad.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Glendale, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Granted, what makes a movie "good" is subjective and very few movies will appeal to absolutely everyone, but when I see someone expound upon the merits of movies like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Jubilee, Robinson Crusoe, Smith, Baumbach, Whitman I can't help but think there just might be just a little bit of bias when it comes to evaluating Criterion releases.
Maybe, but I liked Chasing Amy and Whit Stillman before Criterion released them. Just saying, not everyone who likes the releases you don't just like them because they're Criterion.

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in OCD Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness, The Sopranos Complete Collection
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #37

Jul 2012
Philippines

They should have a maximum catalog, around 500 perhaps. With additional releases by vote of their subscribers, followers on internet sites and forums like Blu-Ray.com
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #38

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
My only criticism of Criterion is reserved for their movie selection process. For every Great Movie there's at least one that's mediocre or just plain bad.
I will admit that they've certainly made bad choices like Armageddon (LOL) and they do have lots of films by certain directors, like Akira Kurosawa and Ingmar Bergman. But for the most part, I think they release lots of good ones.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #39

Jul 2012
Philippines

My List of Top Criterion Films on DVD and Blu-Ray.

1. Seven Samurai
2. The Third Man
3. Seventh Seal
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Kind Hearts and Coronets
6. Night of the Hunter
7. Godzilla
8. Carlos
9. Battle of Algiers
10. The Leopard
11. Grand Illusion
12. Alexander Nevsky/Ivan The Terrible
13. Andrei Rublev
14. Rules of the Game
15. Rashomon
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #40

Jul 2012
Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrugerIndustrial View Post
Criterion indeed seems to have top notch transfers but it's killing me they have to lock them for region A only.

Many Blu-Ray Players can be modified. My Toshiba is modified from Region B to Region Free
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion