Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Awful Truth (Blu-ray)
$18.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriterionCollector View Post
I will admit that they've certainly made bad choices like Armageddon (LOL) and they do have lots of films by certain directors, like Akira Kurosawa and Ingmar Bergman. But for the most part, I think they release lots of good ones.
I agree, no one can be 100%. Criterion does release a lot of good movies that we wouldn't see otherwise. I own a few movies I wouldn't have normally bought for no other reason than Criterion released them. It's a great company, but they've made some very strange releases.

Maybe the fanboys have gone to their heads. I don't know. But have you seen their Facebook page? Their constant teasing and prodding of their fans and the irrational, fanatical, obsessive responses of their followers is kinda creepy. It's like some strange cult.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #42
Special Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lim.davidd View Post
They should have a maximum catalog, around 500 perhaps. With additional releases by vote of their subscribers, followers on internet sites and forums like Blu-Ray.com
This is basically the worst idea about anything I've ever seen before in my entire life.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Southern New Jersey (Philadelphia Metropolitan Area)
USA Criterion Collection Summer of 2012

This summer, I have purchased and watched the following Criterion Collection Blu-Ray discs:

La Haine
Fish Tank
Modern Times
The Gold Rush
Shock Corridor
Bigger than Life
White Material
The Times of Harvey Milk
In Which We Serve (from David Lean Directs Noel Coward)
Kes
Chungking Express
The 39 Steps
Charade
A Night to Remember
12 Angry Men
Alambrista!
Army of Shadows
Shallow Grave
A Hollis Frampton Odyssey
Breathless
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Godzilla
Island of Lost Souls
Letter Never Sent
Videodrome

It has been an awesome summer!
Thanks given by:
RavenCodex (01-09-2018), sgfookat (12-23-2016)
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #44
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Fantastic picks, Mr. JohnnyB

And welcome to the community

Pro-B
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #45
Banned

Mar 2011
Monks Corner, S.C

Now all my questions have been answered!!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #46

Sep 2007
Melbourne, AUS

Interesting and eclectic list, indeed...! It's always fun to see what fellow Criterion-ites enjoy from their personal collections.... BTW: I'm traveling abroad today, and went to iTunes to download a couple of movies for my flight -- something I've never done before. I noted that they, too, have a Criterion link. Clicked on it, and, lo'-'n'-behold, there were several Criterion films that are not yet available in either DVD or Blu-ray! The films that popped out for me were: "Eraserhead," "Scanners," "The Brood," "Persona," and "Breaker Morant." All these titles boasted the Criterion insignia and artwork. I'm wondering if these are titles that will be arriving in Blu-ray in the near future...???
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
Banned

Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Thumbs up

hi,

What makes Criterion so great, other than their transfers, is the fact that they collection is eclectic. You get truly classic cinema like ANDREI RUBLEV, FANNY AND ALEXANDER or THE SEVEN SAMURAI, alongisde more esoteric and/or mainstream fare, like ARMAGEDDON and THE ROCK.

What constitutes "classic" or "worthy" cinema, and therefore worthy of a Criterion release, involves many things.

But because Criterion has released so many films that would otherwise have remained unavailable in the USA, means that whilst they tend to deal mostly with classic arthouse stuff, they are able to occasionally dip their toes into more mainstream stuff.

Which is what makes Criterion such a great and esoteric choice of films. They're never boring, and as others have said, you can buy almost any Critieron film, and you will not only have a damn good night's viewing, but a great education in why and how that film was made, and why it is considered to be the great movie that it is, today.

Pooch
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
Expert Member

Sep 2013

My first Criterion purchase was the DVD release of Brazil.

Sometimes they have licenses for films for only a short time. They released Silence of the Lambs and RoboCop on DVD, for example, but discontinued them when their licenses expired.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #49

Jan 2013
San Francisco Bay Area

Earlier this week I found out that Criterion sells replacement cases. Since I am not a big fan of the blue blu-ray cases, I might end up replacing them with the clear criterion ones. I also understand that I am coming across as a dork.
Thanks given by:
Ben-hur (06-07-2014)
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #50
Special Member

Jan 2012
The Quaker State, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalmmonkey View Post
Earlier this week I found out that Criterion sells replacement cases. Since I am not a big fan of the blue blu-ray cases, I might end up replacing them with the clear criterion ones. I also understand that I am coming across as a dork.
not at all...I think. I replaced 400 Blows as the cardboard cases suck.
Sony BDPS3500
Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package

My Criterion
Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #51

Jan 2014
Maine

Great thread,

I'm new to Blu-Ray and the information you have all shared is really helpful. I'm an enormous fan of top quality films and there are a number of films that Criterion is offering that can also be found in other formats. It is great to hear that Criterion works toward a fantastic transfer.

I look forward to picking up The Third Man and The 39 Steps first!

Thanks
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #52
Special Member

Jan 2007

I wish regular Blu-ray releases were as well done as Criterion. I really love the clear cases, double-sided artwork, and extensive booklets.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Charleston, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
I wish regular Blu-ray releases were as well done as Criterion. I really love the clear cases, double-sided artwork, and extensive booklets.
The detail that Criterion gives to each release is nice, even though I wish the cases were thinner.... but then they wouldn't have room to put in the awesome booklets in each release!!
Tv: Panasonic TC-P42S30 42" 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray: Samsung BD-E5700 and Seiki SR4KP1 DVR: TiVo HD XL
Receiver: Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Speakers: Polk Audio RM75 Sub: Polk PSW10

Criterion Collection: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine
Whole Collection: http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/morpheus72
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #54

Jun 2014
Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriterionCollector View Post
I will admit that they've certainly made bad choices like Armageddon (LOL) and they do have lots of films by certain directors, like Akira Kurosawa and Ingmar Bergman. But for the most part, I think they release lots of good ones.
I actually own their release of Armageddon! While the quality of the film isn't so good (at times it seems like a VHS tape, Much like their version of The Silence Of The Lambs) the supplements are EXCELLENT. Most of these don't appear on any other release, plus the designs for the main menu are really cool
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #55

Aug 2012
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorpheus72 View Post
The detail that Criterion gives to each release is nice, even though I wish the cases were thinner.... but then they wouldn't have room to put in the awesome booklets in each release!!
On the criterion cases, I wish they redesign it to hold the booklets better. Very often, the booklets' edges get cut/chopped by the plastic ridges inside the cases during transit.

Quite often also, the "director approved" sticker is missing. Does anyone know how to get a replacement? I wrote to Criterion and got the reply that they had no control over whether the supplier put the sticker on.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #56

Nov 2011
Maine, usa

I just read this whole thread and found it both entertaining and informative.

If I were to get a tattoo it would be the Criterion logo, and I'm going to name my dog "Criterion", because Criterion sets the standards for the industry.

However.... !!
No one mentioned the complete nuclear disaster that was the blu-ray version of "Howard's End" !! What a complete fubar!! I don't think Criterion and "Merchant Ivory" will ever do business again, but in the final analysis it was Criterion's fault for not inspecting the product before shipping to the market place.

(Has anyone watched the Criterion DVD version of Howards End? Do I dare risk hunting down a copy?)

---
@born2bblu
@Criterion

If the booklets were inserted into the cases 'spline to spline' at the factory instead of the booklet leaves facing the case spline, all damaged books would be prevented.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Charleston, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bblu View Post
On the criterion cases, I wish they redesign it to hold the booklets better. Very often, the booklets' edges get cut/chopped by the plastic ridges inside the cases during transit.

Quite often also, the "director approved" sticker is missing. Does anyone know how to get a replacement? I wrote to Criterion and got the reply that they had no control over whether the supplier put the sticker on.
Have the same problem with the cases. The last few i've purchased have had nicks in the top right corner. Don't know if they could change cases styles, but would be nice.
Receiver: Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Speakers: Polk Audio RM75 Sub: Polk PSW10

Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #58

Nov 2011
Maine, usa
Lightbulb torn pages

I've written them several times regarding the booklets, but they don't seem to care. The simple answer is to insert the booklets with the spline next to the plastic spline, then the plastic tabs won't bend / tear the leaves.

Anybody have a direct line?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Charleston, SC

Just hit 85 titles in my Criterion collection. Not so bad for really just starting the collection a year or two ago. I'm sure the next Flash Sale will increase that number a few more.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #60

Apr 2015

Hey I heard that Punch Drunk Love was coming to Criterion Collection. Do you know when that might be?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion