Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.49
6 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
6 hrs ago
Rambo 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.00
7 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.47

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.41
3 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

The Cure: Curętion 25 + Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$67.99
5 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04

Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

3 from Hell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #1

May 2019
Default Looking for an A/V receiver

I'm thinking about upgrading from a stereo system (two Logitech speakers, and later a JBL 2.0 soundbar, hooked up to my TV) to a 5.1 system. I'm planning on getting the JBL Cinema 510 speaker system, but am not sure what A/V receiver to get. I'm specifically looking for a receiver that:
- has HDMI inputs and an HDMI output
- can send lossless/uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks to the center channel when said signals are being passed through using an HDMI cable (I've read that some receivers [can] split the signal into two instead of sending it to just one speaker)
- can read the surround flags embedded into Dolby 2.0 surround tracks and automatically decode them using Dolby Pro Logic I/II (or similar) when in the auto/standard surround listening mode (if set to direct, most receivers will send 2.0 signals, regardless if they're surround-encoded or not, to the left and right speakers only; some receivers don't even recognize the surround flags at all)
- has the original four-channel Pro Logic as one of the surround modes (most receivers today either only have Pro Logic II or a Dolby Surround upmixer)
- is powerful enough to fully uncompress a Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio track when the player is set to bitstream (I've read that some receivers aren't strong enough to do this and only decode the lossy Dolby Digital/DTS core instead)
- doesn't strip out the rear surround channels in 5.1 EX/ES, 6.1, and 7.1 tracks when downmixing them to 5.1 (my room has no space for rear surround speakers)
- goes for a reasonable price
Anyone here have or know of a receiver that has all (or most) of these features?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

You won't find one that does 4-channel pro-logic anymore. It's Dolby Surround (new version) right now that dynamically upmixes to the end user speaker configuration, whatever that is.

Outside of that, take you pick, there are plenty of choices. Regardless of if they play mono as 2.0 or 1.0, you can fudge that easily anyway as Dolby Surround will place mono soundtracks into just the centre channel.

I'd look out for eARC as well. You might not think you'd need it, but it could come in useful some day when you upgrade other stuff. Basically, eARC allows lossless audio to be sent from the TV.

You can get 7.1 or more channels in a receiver as well if it allows you to get a more fully featured receiver, these extra channels are optional and assignable. That also pretty much guarantees it knows how to process a 7.1 or higher signal and redistribute those channels appropriately.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers