Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.49
11 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
11 hrs ago
Rambo 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.00
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.47
 
3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.41
8 hrs ago
The Cure: Curętion 25 + Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$67.99
10 hrs ago
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
captainsolo captainsolo is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
4
527
12
Default My first plasma in 2019-advice welcome!

I recently found an amazing deal on a very good condition ST60 Panasonic plasma and since I've never gotten to physically own one before I said why not.
So far I'm quite impressed with the results even though the ST60 is not the top tier of the final 2013 plasmas and my XBR960 is no slouch and gives the plasma a run for its money in many areas. I've only done some rudimentary tests and input the DNice recommended settings.

Since this is a whole new ballgame for me any advice is welcome.

First question: What does everyone use for motion settings? Currently on 24p Blu-ray playback I see some noticeable judder going on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

I have a plasma TV in my bedroom, but since I don't watch sports events, that's when motion blur and judder is usually detected, I don't have a problem with it. Here's an article from Sound and Vision that should help you:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...r-my-plasma-tv

Last edited by slimdude; 09-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
halloween5309 halloween5309 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I recently found an amazing deal on a very good condition ST60 Panasonic plasma and since I've never gotten to physically own one before I said why not.
So far I'm quite impressed with the results even though the ST60 is not the top tier of the final 2013 plasmas and my XBR960 is no slouch and gives the plasma a run for its money in many areas. I've only done some rudimentary tests and input the DNice recommended settings.

Since this is a whole new ballgame for me any advice is welcome.

First question: What does everyone use for motion settings? Currently on 24p Blu-ray playback I see some noticeable judder going on.
u are lucky to get one at a good price these days
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
sa5150 sa5150 is offline
Power Member
 
Dec 2011
Chicago IL
13
384
204
Default

I have a like new ST50 if anyone is interested (I think there is a way to see how many hours it has been used but I can't find the setting) , Anyone out there know how to do this ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
captainsolo captainsolo is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
4
527
12
Default

I think it varies by model but there should be a submenu on Panasonics that give a bit of data and one should be the hours indicator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
Jek Porkins Jek Porkins is offline
Member
 
Jek Porkins's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Fond du Lac, WI
4
231
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloween5309 View Post
u are lucky to get one at a good price these days
Sorry to threadjack, but what IS a good price these days? I lurk this subforum from time to time because I've got a NIB 65" ZT60 that's been in climate controlled storage since I bought it. (I know I should be watching it, but my life's taken some crazy turns that are too long to describe here.) I always wonder if I should try to sell it and put the proceeds towards an OLED, but I've got a perfectly matched BDP-103 for it and figure it's still a television worth having? Plus dealing with shipping, let alone me not knowing if it's stillborn from sitting in the box for so long . . . I just let it lie in waiting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #7
halloween5309 halloween5309 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jek Porkins View Post
Sorry to threadjack, but what IS a good price these days? I lurk this subforum from time to time because I've got a NIB 65" ZT60 that's been in climate controlled storage since I bought it. (I know I should be watching it, but my life's taken some crazy turns that are too long to describe here.) I always wonder if I should try to sell it and put the proceeds towards an OLED, but I've got a perfectly matched BDP-103 for it and figure it's still a television worth having? Plus dealing with shipping, let alone me not knowing if it's stillborn from sitting in the box for so long . . . I just let it lie in waiting.
it's worth probaly $1,500 in that condition
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jek Porkins (09-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
captainsolo captainsolo is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
4
527
12
Default

It all depends on the market for used plasmas. Educated buyers know which models are worthy and higher end but most plasmas are of course not in great shape or have a lot of hours.

If you look on local sales they generally go for anywhere between 100 and 500 depending on make, model etc. I’ve been holding out to find either a Kuro or Panasonic and usually every sub 300 dollar one has bad hdmi ports or some issue. Most of the good plasma sales are on the avs forum and someone locally had a vt60 I’d love to have gotten but the $500 asking price while very reasonable was too much for me right now.

Also because I found this st60 for only $90! (That was his listing price. It was an example of someone just wanting it gone and not caring what they got for it.) The seller lived in a very high end neighborhood and hadn’t even used it very much. He had just wanted to upgrade to a big panel for a bonus space so when I got there the Panasonic just had a roku box plugged in and nothing else. I tested it for a few minutes and he looked over in surprise at the Blu-ray of Spartacus I was using to test it with and asked about it looking so great. Then he asked me if Blu-ray was better than dvd and I had to try really hard not to sigh!!

So in short I got super lucky on finally finding a good set but it took months of on and off searching. If you post it for sale locally be prepared to get all kinds of lowball offers from those who don’t even know about plasmas etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
Pondosinatra Pondosinatra is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Pondosinatra's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
45
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I recently found an amazing deal on a very good condition ST60 Panasonic plasma and since I've never gotten to physically own one before I said why not.
So far I'm quite impressed with the results even though the ST60 is not the top tier of the final 2013 plasmas and my XBR960 is no slouch and gives the plasma a run for its money in many areas. I've only done some rudimentary tests and input the DNice recommended settings.

Since this is a whole new ballgame for me any advice is welcome.

First question: What does everyone use for motion settings? Currently on 24p Blu-ray playback I see some noticeable judder going on.
My advice is to get a 2nd one and keep it as a spare....and hang on to them for as long as possible....ideally forever.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (09-13-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 PM.